Dumbest Change Ever!

By KAGE13, in Star Wars: Armada

I agree with your point....

I think saying that you hope the guy who made that decision did get fired....

Not cool.

Edited by Rune Taq
4 hours ago, Frimmel said:

X-wing use standard card game sized cards for ships and upgrades since the start of second edition. Core set damage decks are still mini-American sized for second edition but X-wing also has faction specific card backs and text side artwork damage decks that are standard sized and a promo damage deck available at the beginning was also standard size.

I did say X-wing use to use them and at the time that they did both Armada and Legion were also using it. So it’s hardly cost saving to standardise one game but not all of them.

This is clearly a move by FFG to discourage beginners from using too many upgrades. You can't because they won't fit!

Minimal upgrades, more ships! Then you won't have any problem fitting on the table.

;)

The main difference between X-Wing and Armada is the number of cards they use. One ship for Armada uses as many cards (or even more) than a complete wing (or whatever the equivalent of a fleet) in X-Wing. And you usually take 3-5 ships and squadrons. What were they thinking?

19 minutes ago, Norell said:

The main difference between X-Wing and Armada is the number of cards they use. One ship for Armada uses as many cards (or even more) than a complete wing (or whatever the equivalent of a fleet) in X-Wing. And you usually take 3-5 ships and squadrons. What were they thinking?

There are other differences as well:

• X-wing cards do not exhaust: they have tokens to track charges instead (some very few can be flipped, but they are the exception).
  • Half the X-wing upgrade card isn't needed and can be placed underneath the card next to it.
5 hours ago, Green Knight said:

There are other differences as well:

• X-wing cards do not exhaust: they have tokens to track charges instead (some very few can be flipped, but they are the exception).
  • Half the X-wing upgrade card isn't needed and can be placed underneath the card next to it.

When we first learned about the standard size for Armada I was hoping it would be that way; like list-building info on the left, art+text on the right, although it took me a while to realize that'd be weird to rotate for exhaust. (Using tokens to track exhaust could have worked, probably would have been a welcome change for people who like trays for their cards.)

And this is why I didnt by the upgrade card pack. The only large upgrades I have are from the new starter sets and I'll just continue using mini cards for all my other upgrades

2 hours ago, FreakinUnoriginal said:

When we first learned about the standard size for Armada I was hoping it would be that way; like list-building info on the left, art+text on the right, although it took me a while to realize that'd be weird to rotate for exhaust. (Using tokens to track exhaust could have worked, probably would have been a welcome change for people who like trays for their cards.)

Outside of a strict tournament setting, one could always just flip a card over to exhaust it, rather than rotating it. That would save space.

49 minutes ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

Outside of a strict tournament setting, one could always just flip a card over to exhaust it, rather than rotating it. That would save space.

In that setting would you hide discard effects?

Flipping a card is discarding it by the RRG.

12 minutes ago, Wolf_58 said:

You could just discard a card by putting it under the ship card.

Obviously you and your opponent would have to agree to change the meaning of the actions in this case.

I fully agree.

Especially the new ship cards. Absolutely dumb as **** that they couldn't put that little bit of extra info on the same side.

This is something worth taking up arms as it could ruin the game experience especially for new players.

Maybe we can get them to go back. There was plenty of room on the old small cards to increase the text size too so really makes no sense.

And the old ship cards with the small upgrade cards was so easy to see from even a distance what was going on, now it's a **** show of idk what's going on

This is a big I told you so from that other thread that was linked about the topic.
it’s a real shame certain people can’t the criticism as obvious.
———-

good take OP.

Edited by Blail Blerg
19 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

This is a big I told you so from that other thread that was linked about the topic.
it’s a real shame certain people can’t the criticism as obvious.
———-

good take OP.

No it isnt. Just saying it is doesnt make it so

2 hours ago, Wolf_58 said:

See @GhostofNobodyInParticular ‘s response. Outside of tournaments, you can do anything so long as both players agree.

Edited by Rmcarrier1
No snark intended, just to be clear.

I wonder if any will print the new cards in mini. I would buy them

And redo the ship cards to have all the info

5 minutes ago, Uncrustable said:

I wonder if any will print the new cards in mini. I would buy them

And redo the ship cards to have all the info

Like I said in another post I'm not getting into the armada 1.5 thing but I'm still getting the clone war stuff so for those faction I'm planning to remake the ship cards to look like the original one I will eventualy upload them on imgur or google doc. for the upgrade card I think @Petersaber is planning on printing them at mini size.

Board Thread:Versus  Threads/@comment-27334870-20181231044154/@comment-26180030-20181231095021 |  VS Battles Wiki | Fandom

Ending that rant by preemptively calling anyone that disagrees with you "snowflakes" is one of the least self-aware things I've ever seen.

14 hours ago, LinoB said:

Like I said in another post I'm not getting into the armada 1.5 thing but I'm still getting the clone war stuff so for those faction I'm planning to remake the ship cards to look like the original one I will eventualy upload them on imgur or google doc. for the upgrade card I think @Petersaber is planning on printing them at mini size.

Yeah.

My resizes are ready to print. All text fits on American mini, all symbology does as well. Font size either equal or 0.5 smaller than the Standard format.

With the exception of Swivel-Mount Batteries. 1 point smaller. Soooo muuuuuch teeeeeext.

All I need are high-res graphics and I'm putting them up.

PS: CW Tarot ship cards are coming too.

Edited by Petersaber
17 minutes ago, Petersaber said:

Yeah.

My resizes are ready to print. All text fits on American mini, all symbology does as well. Font size either equal or 0.5 smaller than the Standard format.

With the exception of Swivel-Mount Batteries. 1 point smaller. Soooo muuuuuch teeeeeext.

All I need are high-res graphics and I'm putting them up.

PS: CW Tarot ship cards are coming too.

Did you at least fix the typo?

3 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

Did you at least fix the typo?

I didn't copy the text, I was typing by hand with the card displayed in another window, so if there was a typo I might've missed it (as in "automatically wrote it correctly"). What's the typo?

7 minutes ago, Petersaber said:

I didn't copy the text, I was typing by hand with the card displayed in another window, so if there was a typo I might've missed it (as in "automatically wrote it correctly"). What's the typo?

Swivels has two "of"s in the card. The part where you choose 1 of of your hull zones.

2 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

Swivels has two "of"s in the card. The part where you choose 1 of of your hull zones.

Ha! Never noticed. Yeah, I fixed that.

being used to using tokens in games to signify status and readyness for stuff means outside of tournaments I'm fine with that... however I'd much rather a card I can read at arms length than one I have to lift up closer to read (even with my bifocals!) so yeah the bigger card doesnt bother me.... however as a group the chelmsford bunker have already agreed we're going to carry on using the mini cards for keeping track of upgrades on ships on the table... So might end up with (for example) 2 copies of OE next to the ships with the big OE card off to one side that we can pick up are refer to for rules

7 hours ago, slasher956 said:

being used to using tokens in games to signify status and readyness for stuff means outside of tournaments I'm fine with that... however I'd much rather a card I can read at arms length than one I have to lift up closer to read (even with my bifocals!) so yeah the bigger card doesnt bother me.... however as a group the chelmsford bunker have already agreed we're going to carry on using the mini cards for keeping track of upgrades on ships on the table... So might end up with (for example) 2 copies of OE next to the ships with the big OE card off to one side that we can pick up are refer to for rules

The silly thing is that American Mini cards fit text size 6... and I believe the new Standard cards also have text size 6 on them. Maybe 7. The difference is miniscule. I could be wrong, and if so, it's good to have a choice.

Speaking of choice, soon... soon... I just finished 230 cards. 25 Clone Wars Cards, all errata cards... and also all upgrade and squadron cards since Wave 6, translated to Polish. Kill me.

Examples - https://imgur.com/a/xPG8f6l (the grey outline is because it's a screencap from photoshop, not an actual saved file)

Edited by Petersaber