Dumbest Change Ever!

By KAGE13, in Star Wars: Armada

6 hours ago, Triangular said:

I'm afraid, it will take me hours of searching (let's say) ship cards until I find them between my squadrons or upgrades.

I address this by having ships and aces in hard top-load sleeves, while upgrades and generic squadrons are in more typical soft card sleeves. It's sort of an accident this worked out, as it was almost impossible for me to find soft tarot-sized sleeves, so I got hard tarot sleeves for ships and figured I'd get the same type in standard size for aces; and now I just use the standard size for the new ships too.

8 hours ago, Triangular said:

One thing made me think yesterday. For me playing Republic or Separatists didn't feel any different than the old factions. That was a huge difference to the newly released Republic and Separatist factions in Legion. But maybe I was just missing some points. Nevertheless it was fun. But if you don't invest in the Clone Wars era and stick to the Galactic Civil War, you won't miss too much, I would think.

Thanks for the observations! I'm anxious to try out my new products myself, but alas, we're still in lockdown where I live. I have a lot of gaming to catch up on.

11 hours ago, FreakinUnoriginal said:

I address this by having ships and aces in hard top-load sleeves, while upgrades and generic squadrons are in more typical soft card sleeves. It's sort of an accident this worked out, as it was almost impossible for me to find soft tarot-sized sleeves, so I got hard tarot sleeves for ships and figured I'd get the same type in standard size for aces; and now I just use the standard size for the new ships too.

All my cards are sleeved. Nevertheless it happened, that I was searching one of my blue objective cards for more than two days. I counted and recounted and went through all cards of the same size, again and again! I wrote to all my friends I was playing with asking them to look into their boxes. Before I lost my mind I revisited my objective cards. It sticked at the back of a yellow one and without proper observation they felt like one card. Now if I imagine, that ALL cards would have been the same size ... 😳

By accident I bought sleeves with blue backs. Instead of returning them I bought red and yellow sleeves and now all my objectives are sleeved in different colors and I won't have to search like I did before. I put the two different ship cards for one model in the same sleeve. Less sleeves, less volume and faster browsing. With the new cards showing important data at both sides, I can't do that any more.

I don't want to complain. The new cards do really look great. I could even imagine, that I will use the bigger damage deck, because I somehow like them. (You can shuffle them like poker cards!) But I see some benefits having the different sizes for different card types and I think the smaller cards are easier to lay out. That's important for a game like Armada, that defines its units so much over upgrade cards.

I just use separate baggies for different kinds of card.

@Triangular - The hard sleeves are quite different from soft sleeves, it's more like the card is sandwiched between two layers of plexiglass. In practice, though, a similar idea as having different color sleeves.

Edited by FreakinUnoriginal

Dissenting opinion here. The change to standard MtG-sized cards is one of the things that induced me to come back to the game. Not the only thing, and the fiddly stupid tiny cards were not the reason that I left, but they were a constant thorn in the side to me. I vastly prefer the new cards and this change certainly contributed to rekindling my interest and bringing me back to the game.

P.S.: "Snowflake" properly refers to someone who would rant on their high speed internet connection about a game that 99.9% of the world cannot even afford to play and express hope that someone would lose their livelihood and ability to support their family during a pandemic and right before Christmas. Over something that regardless of your level of enjoyment of a game does not actually do any harm to anyone one way or another.

I got my order today.

obraz.png.34b4aca979295d8be65bda3261784adf.png

18 resized cards ready for print, 130 to go (CW and Errata)

Edited by Petersaber
On 12/5/2020 at 1:45 PM, Rmcarrier1 said:

I haven’t played with the new cards but I am planning to replace my 6x3 table (which required us to place cards in the play area) with two 6x2.5 tables in preparation for the new, bigger cards.

Tables procured! I now have a 6x5’ play area, which leaves each player six square feet (1’ x 6’) for cards, tokens, and accessories.

On 12/13/2020 at 3:07 AM, Requete said:

Dissenting opinion here. The change to standard MtG-sized cards is one of the things that induced me to come back to the game. Not the only thing, and the fiddly stupid tiny cards were not the reason that I left, but they were a constant thorn in the side to me. I vastly prefer the new cards and this change certainly contributed to rekindling my interest and bringing me back to the game.

My bugbear was the tarot sized cards. 🙂

Moving forwards once I have two of each ship I'll just store one card front ways and the other back ways.

To put my cards on the table I'll probably just throw the cards into a 9 card page and use the old smaller damage cards as my "tapped" markers or a "flat style" paper clip.

On 12/12/2020 at 4:07 PM, Requete said:

Can I aks why? I’d be interested to hear what advantage people see in the larger upgrade cards.

5 hours ago, mazz0 said:

Can I aks why? I’d be interested to hear what advantage people see in the larger upgrade cards.

For me the primary benefit of standard sized cards is that they fit all the readily available card storage and protection and transport options. Those mini-cards have always been a pain to deal with. Special sleeves that needed to be special ordered if they're even in stock. Special card pages for storing in binders again needing special order if they are to be found. They don't fit in card boxes without special accommodation. Using binder pages is a pain because every new expansion the pages are out of order. They slam around and don't fit in card boxes and it was easy to end up with the cards all out of order. The mini-cards are hard to handle. I was always "spilling" them in some way or getting them under stuff or out of order.

And with presbyopia the larger cards are easier to identify by artwork alone while standing upright. I don't have to bend over and squint at them or pick them up.

Edited by Frimmel
6 hours ago, mazz0 said:

I can walk into any game store in the country and know that there will be card sleeves, binders, and storage options readily available for industry-standard card sizes. That was never the case with the mini-card sizes. Few places have sleeves and binders for the small cards on the shelves, and most often they'd have to be special ordered in.

On a personal note, I also enjoy seeing the card art at a larger size. Plus, it makes it a bit easier to see exactly what upgrades my opponent has across the table.

Everyone interested in getting American Mini cards, contact me via Private Message. I visited the printing shop today, they got me a price :)

2 hours ago, Derpzilla88 said:

Plus, it makes it a bit easier to see exactly what upgrades my opponent has across the table.

Not if they don’t fit on the table it doesn’t :P

3 hours ago, Frimmel said:

For me the primary benefit of standard sized cards is that they fit all the readily available card storage and protection and transport options. Those mini-cards have always been a pain to deal with. Special sleeves that needed to be special ordered if they're even in stock. Special card pages for storing in binders again needing special order if they are to be found. They don't fit in card boxes without special accommodation. Using binder pages is a pain because every new expansion the pages are out of order. They slam around and don't fit in card boxes and it was easy to end up with the cards all out of order. The mini-cards are hard to handle. I was always "spilling" them in some way or getting them under stuff or out of order.

My thoughts exactly. I like to use a combination of card boxes and binders with 9-card sheets to organize my cards. I will like to be able to customize the binders so I prefer to use the loose sheets with a stock binder. All of this is easy to find... I can get MtG sized card supplies anywhere and they're cheap. I don't have to get FFG-specific materials. Sleeves are like 2.5 cents each. 9-pockets are plentiful. I can actually store duplicate/overflow cards in boxes, etc.

The larger cards are easier to see with my poor eyesight and easier to manipulate. Pure win from my perspective.

I don't play in tournaments so I've never had a situation where the play space was cramped. I have always had access to a side table, tv tray or simply a large enough table that the larger card size wouldn't impact anything. I'm surprised to hear that it's an issue but everyone's circumstance is different I guess.

1 hour ago, mazz0 said:

Not if they don’t fit on the table it doesn’t :P

You're playing on a seriously undersized table if you're having trouble fitting all your cards on it.

56 minutes ago, Derpzilla88 said:

You're playing on a seriously undersized table if you're having trouble fitting all your cards on it.

The tables on European Champs barely fit my list... even finalists' tables...

@Petersaber are you planning on makin the resized cards image available online for those of us who can print the card themself ?

9 hours ago, Derpzilla88 said:

Yeah, I am, but that’s what size tables I have access to.

4 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

Yeah, I am, but that’s what size tables I have access to.

I have a 6mm thick 900x1200mm board time two that I put my mats and cards on. That would give you a 150x1800 space for cards. This can then be tucked away behind a bookshelf or under a bed.

You could use old blanket under so as you don't mark your table.

On 12/11/2020 at 10:08 AM, Triangular said:

One thing made me think yesterday. For me playing Republic or Separatists didn't feel any different than the old factions. That was a huge difference to the newly released Republic and Separatist factions in Legion. But maybe I was just missing some points. Nevertheless it was fun. But if you don't invest in the Clone Wars era and stick to the Galactic Civil War, you won't miss too much, I would think.

Very much this. Have theory-crafted quite a few lists now and gotten fleets onto the (digital) table a couple of times:

I agree with your assessment. The new factions feel and play very much like what we already have, which isn't surprising given that the factions are basically:

+ Victory-class + CR90 + Rebel Squads (Republic)
+ Assault Frigate + Nebulon + Imperial Squads (Separatists)

Also, probably best to keep Clone Wars games as clone wars factions against other clone wars factions, as there's no way they can (yet) compete with the Galactic Civil War era factions. They are just far too limited, and it doesn't help that Clone Wars factions are built entirely from a foundation that is the spiritual analogue to four of the worst and least-used OT Faction ships in the game...

Final Hot Take: Commander Obi-Wan Kenobi is very bad, at least at the moment. In practice, he's unlikely to to function much more differently than Admiral Motti, except that Obi-Wan's "bonus HP" can be shut down by locking or stripping the Redirect token. If the Venator has two Redirects Obi-Wan will become much more tempting, but as of now it's Bail Organa all the way .

On 12/15/2020 at 3:52 PM, EBerling said:

+ Victory-class + CR90 + Rebel Squads (Republic)
+ Assault Frigate + Nebulon + Imperial Squads (Separatists)

Also, probably best to keep Clone Wars games as clone wars factions against other clone wars factions, as there's no way they can (yet) compete with the Galactic Civil War era factions. They are just far too limited, and it doesn't help that Clone Wars factions are built entirely from a foundation that is the spiritual analogue to four of the worst and least-used OT Faction ships in the game...

Wait, what? CR90s, Nebs and even Assault Frigates belong the least used and worst OT ships`? That's news to me...

On 12/15/2020 at 6:52 AM, EBerling said:

four of the worst and least-used OT Faction ships in the game...

Jaina's Light wants to: know your location

On 12/15/2020 at 6:52 AM, EBerling said:

Final Hot Take: Commander Obi-Wan Kenobi is very bad, at least at the moment. In practice, he's unlikely to to function much more differently than Admiral Motti, except that Obi-Wan's "bonus HP" can be shut down by locking or stripping the Redirect token. If the Venator has two Redirects Obi-Wan will become much more tempting, but as of now it's Bail Organa all the way .

While I generally think you're right, I've been trying Kenobi in an MSU build (where Bail doesn't offer all that much) and like it a lot.

If you can get enough use out of that redirect he'll take you farther than Motti, and for a CR70 that's 2+ uses to come out ahead. Even if they lock the redirect, that means better odds of evading, to say nothing about the value against squadrons. He's not great for most lists the way Bail is, but he's got merit.