Maul Article

By Welshie13, in Star Wars: Legion

Juyo Mastery is a better version of any of the free actions Jedi normally get, like Master of the Force or Charge. He basically has both and can choose which one he wants to use every turn, as well as having the freedom to do things like, aim, attack and dodge if he wants to. It is probably the most versatile Saber Form keyword we've seen so far, it will need serious consideration every turn what you want to spend that 3rd action on.

Do you take exhaustible force powers or not? He can move attack and recover all in one turn. Do you play more into keeping him engaged in melee all the time so things like Push become good, you can run into a unit wound them, force push them off you and then engage another unit that same turn. Let the rest of your droids finish off what Maul left in the first unit, if there is anything left, and still keep Maul safe from return fire.

Or do you avoid the recovery action all together and go for powers that don't exhaust. He doesn't need Force Reflexes when he can just take a dodge action, and offensive/defensive stance on him is going to be amazing. Maul breaks the current theory behind how to use saber users as well. He doesn't necessarily need to activate last, because he is far less vulnerable to getting attacked, so long as he ends his turn engaged with a unit that has already activated. He could wear down the attack power of a Phase II squad, and then push them off him just to jump into a Phase I squad that has just dodged/aimed that turn already.

Edited by Nithorian
3 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

Judging from the stats, I just don’t see how Kenobi beats Maul canonically. I think Maul will beat Kenobi most of the time considering that all of Obi’s command cards gain tokens to be used and Maul’s 1 pip ignores all of them. Plus Maul is rolling 2 extra attack dice and even has an extra training slot. Obi might be a more versatile unit than Maul, but Maul is a better brawler.

yeah is going to to be great. Give him tenacity and offensively he wrecks anakin

1 hour ago, Darth evil said:

I am really liking Darth Maul, he looks like he will be a lot of fun to use.

I'm torn of which pose though, i like the one with his saber behind his back and the pose where he holds it with both hands. The other one with the saber in his right hand held out in front of him looks really awkward, i mean i'm not martial artist but having your weapon out loke that and having your weight on your opposite back leg seems weird.

The answer should be patently obvious. Use the double bladed saber pose for both his right and his left arms. He should be holding a double bladed saber in front of him and behind him.

And put some laundry there 😂

41 minutes ago, Kirjath08 said:

The answer should be patently obvious. Use the double bladed saber pose for both his right and his left arms. He should be holding a double bladed saber in front of him and behind him.

What if I use the free hand from each arm so it looks like he's doing a sweet kung-fu move with no lightsaber?

Edit: I might actually do that now. It looks real good from the sculpts I bashed.

Edited by thepopemobile100

He seemed to do fine in the last couple of episodes of clone wars.

2 hours ago, Vector Strike said:

I don't think any saber wielder will EVER have white defense die. Perhaps Ezra.

He killed Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi MASTER.

But he did!

He killed Qui-Gon, absolutely, but no way he could take out Liam Neesons or Bruce Willy.

53 minutes ago, Kirjath08 said:

my first choice is the one where he holds it with both hands, although the one where he holds it behind him does look like he is winding up for a saber throw

10 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

my first choice is the one where he holds it with both hands, although the one where he holds it behind him does look like he is winding up for a saber throw

I will probably end up going with the double-hand grip as well, but only because it's more functional for the tabletop. Aesthetically, I prefer the behind grip.

6 hours ago, Lochlan said:

He does seem like one of the best use-cases. While wounded, he can double move>Saber Throw for 4 Red Pierce 2 Impact 2. He loses a point each of Impact and Pierce compared to Vader/Anakin, but gains a die (and faster movement compared to Vader). And he loses Surge: Crit compared to Op Luke, but upgrades his dice to Red for overall better average damage, plus Luke can't double move before using Saber Throw.

But with only two force slots there's going to be a lot of competition for what cards to take (other than Force Push).

saber throw and force push are no brainers with maul. I dont think theres any competition.

2 hours ago, Khobai said:

saber throw and force push are no brainers with maul. I dont think theres any competition.

He's a dark side force user, so Force Choke needs to be in the discussion. For a unit this mobile, Force Choke is amazing, and can double as a Force Push if used to get out of Melee. It may not be on every Maul, but every Maul needs to consider it.

force choke is amazing youre not wrong.

but maul absolutely needs a ranged attack and force push is hands down the best force power he can take.

giving up saber throw or force push for force choke doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

the main issue with taking choke (and even push) is that maul doesnt have master of the force and has to use a recover action to use those powers again. but he can saber throw every turn. so saber throw is very strong on him for that reason.

if there were better passive force powers you could even make an argument for maul to not take force push. but the other passive force powers like fear and anger and battle meditation arnt particularly good on maul. so push it is.

Edited by Khobai
9 minutes ago, Khobai said:

force choke is amazing youre not wrong.

but maul absolutely needs a ranged attack and force push is hands down the best force power he can take.

giving up saber throw or force push for force choke doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

the main issue with taking choke (and even push) is that maul doesnt have master of the force and has to use a recover action to use those powers again. but he can saber throw every turn. so saber throw is very strong on him for that reason.

if there were better passive force powers you could even make an argument for maul to not take force push. but the other passive force powers like fear and anger and battle meditation arnt particularly good on maul. so push it is.

I agree Throw is on him, I'd cut Push. Push is amazing, but is a one use just as much as choke is. Choke is 5 points cheaper, but can cripple the enemy's response to you, and can get you out of Melee if need be. Like I said, Choke won't be on every build, but I think certain players will find it does more what they want than push will. For example, you can choke a unit leader on a box and make the unit drop the box, push can't do that.

Maul can push/choke twice in a turn if needed. If those powers are up at the beginning of the turn he can use them, recover, then use them again. Very brutal...

2 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

Maul can push/choke twice in a turn if needed. If those powers are up at the beginning of the turn he can use them, recover, then use them again. Very brutal...

Don't think you can right? Can't you only perform each action only once during your activation? Except the move action?

6 minutes ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

Don't think you can right? Can't you only perform each action only once during your activation? Except the move action?

Correct, even if it's a free action, the same action can only be done once with the exception of move actions

Just now, MasterShake2 said:

Correct, even if it's a free action, the same action can only be done once with the exception of move actions

Bummer ☹️

5 hours ago, Nithorian said:

Juyo Mastery is a better version of any of the free actions Jedi normally get, like Master of the Force or Charge. He basically has both and can choose which one he wants to use every turn, as well as having the freedom to do things like, aim, attack and dodge if he wants to. It is probably the most versatile Saber Form keyword we've seen so far, it will need serious consideration every turn what you want to spend that 3rd action on.

Do you take exhaustible force powers or not? He can move attack and recover all in one turn. Do you play more into keeping him engaged in melee all the time so things like Push become good, you can run into a unit wound them, force push them off you and then engage another unit that same turn. Let the rest of your droids finish off what Maul left in the first unit, if there is anything left, and still keep Maul safe from return fire.

Or do you avoid the recovery action all together and go for powers that don't exhaust. He doesn't need Force Reflexes when he can just take a dodge action, and offensive/defensive stance on him is going to be amazing. Maul breaks the current theory behind how to use saber users as well. He doesn't necessarily need to activate last, because he is far less vulnerable to getting attacked, so long as he ends his turn engaged with a unit that has already activated. He could wear down the attack power of a Phase II squad, and then push them off him just to jump into a Phase I squad that has just dodged/aimed that turn already.

I’m thinking that at some point Maul’s points are going to be increased, but for now we still haven’t seen him in action, but he looks really good... maybe too good.

I guess one negative is that he needs to lose 1 health to gain the extra ability, so really Maul is only a 5 health unit, especially since most of the time we’ll spend Maul’s 3 pip (that’s not a 3 pip) to give him that wound.

Someone said Maul’s 2 pip was weak, but I think it’s utility is pretty strong. It gives him Infiltrate on a Jedi type with Jump, and allows him to get up to (but not including) Range 2. So it’s a card that allows Maul better table placement for maximum attack potential. It’s mainly a card you’ll want to use round 1 to get him into LoS blocking cover, but close enough so he can strike the following round. It’s something few Jedi types have especially with Jump. And as far as the “Maul cannot attack”, how often have you seen a Jedi type attack on round 1?

12 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

Someone said Maul’s 2 pip was weak, but I think it’s utility is pretty strong. It gives him Infiltrate on a Jedi type with Jump, and allows him to get up to (but not including) Range 2. So it’s a card that allows Maul better table placement for maximum attack potential. It’s mainly a card you’ll want to use round 1 to get him into LoS blocking cover, but close enough so he can strike the following round. It’s something few Jedi types have especially with Jump. And as far as the “Maul cannot attack”, how often have you seen a Jedi type attack on round 1?

You need to reread the card. If you divulge it, you discard it. He cannot get infiltrate AND actually play that card.

Yeah, Maul's Divulge card is a bit different as instead of forcing you to play it turn 1, you instead discard it, leaving you with only 6 cards in hand. Meaning you HAVE to play Standing Orders at some point (barring some other future card that allows for multiple uses).

1 minute ago, Mokoshkana said:

You need to reread the card. If you divulge it, you discard it. He cannot get infiltrate AND actually play that card.

That’s actually better. Then you can decide, use Infiltrate to attack round 1, or use it as means to approach one round and attack the next. Still a strong movement card.

Just now, Caimheul1313 said:

Yeah, Maul's Divulge card is a bit different as instead of forcing you to play it turn 1, you instead discard it, leaving you with only 6 cards in hand. Meaning you HAVE to play Standing Orders at some point (barring some other future card that allows for multiple uses).

Ok having to play Standing Orders sucks, but only if it’s Divulged. It still can be played on a round that Maul is out of position, move just short of range 2 in LoS blocking terrain, then attack the following round. Most Jedi have to wait for the opposing army to get close enough before making their move. The Maul player can make it happen when they want it to.

I'm on @JediPartisan side on this one. It's a very good card for getting Maul in position on probably turn 2 (or turn 1 on shorter deployments). Doubt I'll use it much as a divulge card though unless it's a suicide alpha strike; which I noted earlier could potentially be extremely potent. However I'm generally not a fan of that strategy since even though Maul has the best chance of success with it, if it goes south it will probably cost you the game.

19 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

I'm on @JediPartisan side on this one. It's a very good card for getting Maul in position on probably turn 2 (or turn 1 on shorter deployments). Doubt I'll use it much as a divulge card though unless it's a suicide alpha strike; which I noted earlier could potentially be extremely potent. However I'm generally not a fan of that strategy since even though Maul has the best chance of success with it, if it goes south it will probably cost you the game.

That’s fair, but it’s nice to have options as opposed to Ani who just gets more powers in a slow burn kind of way. Both units are the same points, but on paper, it looks like Maul is quite a bit better. I’m probably alone in that thought too lol, but we’ll have to wait and see how they each do on the table.