Maul Article

By Welshie13, in Star Wars: Legion

He looks real good. Juyo Master is fantastic and he's gonna hit like an absolute truck. Also a good user of Offensive Stance since he absolutely will be able to use two aim tokens.

Edited by thepopemobile100

Those command cards aren't bad either. I'm confused at how Dooku is 205 and Maul is 160. I don't have a problem with either, I just think the disparity of abilities and gameplay is not worth 45pts. I guess you have to include a commander still with Maul, so that's some sort of tax.

2 pip is kind of weak. Maybe those generic ones that come out in January will fill in the gaps.

I think is going to be awesome. Maybe the creep is the real power

Edited by buckero0

Joyo Mastery, 'At Last', Tenacity and Anger makes for a brutal anti-Jedi turn.

Well, my CIS army just got a 160 point tax.

I'm perfectly happy with that. Now to figure out what I can field each time with the remaining 640 points.

Edited by Kirjath08
8 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Those command cards aren't bad either. I'm confused at how Dooku is 205 and Maul is 160. I don't have a problem with either, I just think the disparity of abilities and gameplay is not worth 45pts. I guess you have to include a commander still with Maul, so that's some sort of tax.

I think is going to be awesome. Maybe the creep is the real power

MotF 2 is crazy good and expensive. Dooku also has a very good built-in ranged attack. Also the ability to completely negate Immune: Pierce is something literally nobody else can do. Juyo Mastery is definitely good, but it's essentially just a slightly better Relentless that only works while he is wounded.

Edited by Lochlan
Just now, Lochlan said:

MotF 2 is crazy good and expensive. Also the ability to completely negate Immune: Pierce is something literally nobody else can do. Juyo Mastery is definitely good, but it's essentially just a slightly better Relentless that only works while he is wounded.

This. Dooku also has some of the best command cards in the game while also having access to Cunning. He's also gonna love Force Barrier when that shows up.

2 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

MotF 2 is crazy good and expensive. Also the ability to completely negate Immune: Pierce is something literally nobody else can do. Juyo Mastery is definitely good, but it's essentially just a slightly better Relentless that only works while he is wounded.

Good points.

I feel he's going to be unbalanced in Skirmish (as are a lot of things)

I guess there's a lot of play with words to make the abilities try to "feel" different.

@thepopemobile100

What are you going to use Force Barrier on? Who would be your target?

Edited by buckero0

Finally, a use for my Saber Throw upgrade card!

4 minutes ago, Vector Strike said:

Finally, a use for my Saber Throw upgrade card!

He does seem like one of the best use-cases. While wounded, he can double move>Saber Throw for 4 Red Pierce 2 Impact 2. He loses a point each of Impact and Pierce compared to Vader/Anakin, but gains a die (and faster movement compared to Vader). And he loses Surge: Crit compared to Op Luke, but upgrades his dice to Red for overall better average damage, plus Luke can't double move before using Saber Throw.

But with only two force slots there's going to be a lot of competition for what cards to take (other than Force Push).

Edited by Lochlan
1 minute ago, Lochlan said:

He does seem like one of the best use-cases. While wounded, he can double move>Saber Throw for 4 Red Pierce 2 Impact 2. He loses a point each of Impact and Pierce compared to Vader/Anakin, but gains a die (and faster movement compared to Vader). And he loses Surge: Crit compared to Op Luke, but upgrades his dice to Red for overall better average damage.

But with only two force slots there's going to be a lot of competition for what cards to take (other than Force Push).

Would Saber throw not give you 2R2W? I though you couldn't select the better of the half dice?

Just now, Welshie13 said:

Would Saber throw not give you 2R2W? I though you couldn't select the better of the half dice?

You can.

I also feel Tenacity will be really good on him, since he wants to be wounded anyway.

Edited by Vector Strike
Just now, Vector Strike said:

I also feel Tenacity will be really good on him, since he wants to be wounded anyway.

Agreed. I plan to load him with Push, Saber Throw, Tenacity, and Offensive Stance (Juyo Mastery makes this one a lot easier to use).

3 minutes ago, Welshie13 said:

Yeah, any time you use half your dice, you just remove half of the total number of dice (round down), and you get to pick which dice to remove. So in this case, the four white dice.

Yeah all my force users have one colour.

I don't think I have been in such mixed colour situation since the intial 'Weapon Disrupted' change before they added the clarification 'When adding that weapon to an attack pool, only half its dice can be added (of any color, rounding up)'.

I stand corrected (gladly so).

Edited by Welshie13

Maul is so good!
I guess we’ll see a lot of Maul soon.

20 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

What are you going to use Force Barrier on? Who would be your target?

Dooku starts with a bunch of B1s surrounding him, and being able to cancel damage for them will help. I use B2s quite a bit still and they almost always stay in range 1 of Dooku for the majority of the game so it'll end up also helping those out.

Looking at this article, my first impression is that Maul will make for a brutal commander-killer. I don't want to play againt him if I take any force users (or any big points operative for that matter)

At least some big point operatives have ways of shutting him down. He won't like Luke's 'I am a Jedi' or any Immobilising plays i.e. Grappling Lines/Whipcords from Sabine or Boba or to a lesser extend Cad Banes 'I'm in control'.

4 minutes ago, evo454 said:

Looking at this article, my first impression is that Maul will make for a brutal commander-killer. I don't want to play againt him if I take any force users (or any big points operative for that matter)

If you’re playing Luke Or even Vader, you still have an edge in that both can attack twice with their one pips. Maul’s one pip (Duel of the Fates) should only do 3 damage to a Jedi unit on average. Of course the defense roll can tank or Maul could roll all hits, then it really is a “delete enemy Jedi unit this round” card.
It’s really the Republic Jedi units that will take the worst, cause they have no such cards that give extra attacks and Maul’s 1 pip totally negates Obi’s 1 pip.

First look of this is he will be awesome after some practice. He's very vulnerable actually if you make mistakes or expose him, but he is one **** of a hammer if you are smart. Like a real assassin, pick your moment and don't just rush, overexpose and get shot

Not sure he should be red defense die, but maybe in play testing he was just too vulnerable if on white

Edited by Haslamm1
8 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

Maul’s 1 pip totally negates Obi’s 1 pip.

Which is hilariously ironic.

5 minutes ago, Haslamm1 said:

Not sure he should be red defense die, but maybe in play testing he was just too vulnerable if on white

Every single Jedi/Sith/Lightsaber Wielder has Red defense. He would be absolute garbage with White defense (especially since that would make Deflect do almost nothing).

Judging from the stats, I just don’t see how Kenobi beats Maul canonically. I think Maul will beat Kenobi most of the time considering that all of Obi’s command cards gain tokens to be used and Maul’s 1 pip ignores all of them. Plus Maul is rolling 2 extra attack dice and even has an extra training slot. Obi might be a more versatile unit than Maul, but Maul is a better brawler.

1 minute ago, JediPartisan said:

Judging from the stats, I just don’t see how Kenobi beats Maul canonically. I think Maul will beat Kenobi most of the time considering that all of Obi’s command cards gain tokens to be used and Maul’s 1 pip ignores all of them. Plus Maul is rolling 2 extra attack dice and even has an extra training slot. Obi might be a more versatile unit than Maul, but Maul is a better brawler.

I do feel as if Maul should not be too powerful. He proved himself incapable of defeating even Padawan Kenobi and, while he survived this defeat, he remained only as a tragic figure doomed to always be a less-significant part of greater plots and ploys. Though, as a character, this is where he becomes a lot more interesting.