Maul Article

By Welshie13, in Star Wars: Legion

14 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

Judging from the stats, I just don’t see how Kenobi beats Maul canonically. I think Maul will beat Kenobi most of the time considering that all of Obi’s command cards gain tokens to be used and Maul’s 1 pip ignores all of them. Plus Maul is rolling 2 extra attack dice and even has an extra training slot. Obi might be a more versatile unit than Maul, but Maul is a better brawler.

Lucky roll for Obiwan I guess? :P Maul did beat Qui-gon so he definitely is pretty strong.

2 minutes ago, werdnaegni said:

You're doing the lord's work sir.

First draft Maul list I tossed together:

General Grievous (175)
-DT-57 "Annihilator" (12)
-Aggressive Tactics (10)
-Strict Order (5)
-Endurance (6)

Maul (160)
-Force Push (10)
-Saber Throw (5)
-Tenacity (4)
-Offensive Push (4)*

2x B1 Battle Droids (36)
-E-5C B1 Trooper (18)
-HQ Uplink (10)

2x B1 Battle Droids (36)
-E-5C B1 Trooper (18)

B1 Battle Droids (36)

2x BS-Series Droid Commandos (Strike Team) (20)
-BX-Series Droid Sniper (30)

DRK-1 Sith Probe Droids (35)

798/800
10 Activations

*I think Offensive Push works better here than Offensive Stance. Maul will want to recover for Force Push anyway, so the exhaust requirement isn't much of a negative (especially with the free action from Juyo Mastery). I am also not a fan of the limitation on spending dodges/aims created by Offensive/Defensive Stance. Also, Offensive Push is a point cheaper.

Edited by Lochlan

When we finally get Mace Windu, he better strike with six purple attack dice.

13 minutes ago, Billion Year Old Carbon said:

I do feel as if Maul should not be too powerful. He proved himself incapable of defeating even Padawan Kenobi and, while he survived this defeat, he remained only as a tragic figure doomed to always be a less-significant part of greater plots and ploys. Though, as a character, this is where he becomes a lot more interesting.

On the flip side, he did shank Liam Neeson without too much trouble...

36 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

Every single Jedi/Sith/Lightsaber Wielder has Red defense.

Oh yea.. haha woops

31 minutes ago, Haslamm1 said:

On the flip side, he did shank Liam Neeson without too much trouble...

No way Maul could take out Neesons.

1 hour ago, buckero0 said:

Good points.

I feel he's going to be unbalanced in Skirmish (as are a lot of things)

I think he'll be pretty good in Skirmish, but not unbalanced. As an Operative, you'll either spend 55 extra points on a 'meh' T-Series Tactical Droid, or you'll eat up the majority of your points on just two (albeit heavy-hitting) units. Maul + GG + two B1 squads clock in at 407 points before any upgrades.

1 hour ago, JediPartisan said:

Judging from the stats, I just don’t see how Kenobi beats Maul canonically. I think Maul will beat Kenobi most of the time considering that all of Obi’s command cards gain tokens to be used and Maul’s 1 pip ignores all of them. Plus Maul is rolling 2 extra attack dice and even has an extra training slot. Obi might be a more versatile unit than Maul, but Maul is a better brawler.

Don't forget that Maul had been fighting Obi AND Qui-Gon for a while at that point. Maul probably used his 1-pip to kill Qui-Gon, so had nothing but Standing Orders on the turn Obi played his 1-pip and sliced him.

Another thing I noticed, he's just "Maul" on his card. Not "Darth Maul". Potential future-proofing for an eventual Commander expansion for a Scum faction? So that the command cards could be used with the ol' CIS Operative?

Maybe not, since that'd break the usual rule of not having to buy an expansion outside of a faction, but still...it was a thought.

Interesting way to protect Maul on the approach from long range fire if you want to wait to last/first him next turn and he is a less than ideal position to start the turn. Use GG's 2pip and get an order to the Sith Probe Droids (Long range comms or HQ unlink). They can Guardian and sacrifice themselves so Maul has free range next turn.

Time for triple the fall!

1 hour ago, JediPartisan said:

You haven‘t seen the REBEL Ben Kenobi version’s super duper cards which all essentially say „Kill Maul“

Something I just realized about Juyo Mastery: Maul can double move, Force Push someone into melee with him, then hit them with his Lightsaber. That is huge . I was already fully on board the Maul-Train, but now my mind is officially blown.

If you divulge Phantom Menace, you have to discard it during the deployment phase and you're basically down a command card, right? That's not the usual "must play on turn 1" that we've seen on previous divulge mechanics.

5 minutes ago, Weikel said:

If you divulge Phantom Menace, you have to discard it during the deployment phase and you're basically down a command card, right? That's not the usual "must play on turn 1" that we've seen on previous divulge mechanics.

That's how I read it. It could lead to an absolutely devastating alpha strike if you deploy in the opponent's zone and drop "At Last" turn one. Maul will definitely be removed by turn 2-3 if you're lucky, but that's a lot of chaos he can cause very quickly.

37 minutes ago, DFocke said:

Time for triple the fall!

This 👆 I have all ready made a list. It only has 7 activations but I dont care as long as I get all 3 saber wielders on the board

39 minutes ago, KaLeu said:

You haven‘t seen the REBEL Ben Kenobi version’s super duper cards which all essentially say „Kill Maul“

I just want to remind everyone that we only see an onscreen death for Maul's upper half. His legs and genitals are potentially still out there, running wild with the dark side.

12 minutes ago, lunitic501 said:

This 👆 I have all ready made a list. It only has 7 activations but I dont care as long as I get all 3 saber wielders on the board

I came up with one with 9. Basically the three saber wielders, Maul's probe droids to mark targets, and 5 naked B1 units to grab objectives, and generally get in the way of the enemy.

28 minutes ago, lunitic501 said:

You can get it up to 8 fairly easily:

784/800 (8 activations)
Commanders:
- Count Dooku (205): Force Choke (5), Force Push (10), Force Reflexes (10), Aggressive Tactics (10) = 240
- General Grievous (175): Strict Orders (5), Endurance (6) = 186
Operative:
- Maul (160): Force Push (10), Saber Throw (5), Tenacity (4) = 179
Corps:
- 4× Battle Droids (36) = 144
Special Forces:
- DRK-1 Sith Probe Droids = 35

Still room for more upgrades or to swap out a unit or two (eg. you can replace a B1 units with a Sniper Strike Team).

The real question is which command cards to take. Personally I'm thinking:

• Trained In Your Jedi Arts, • Fear, Surprise, Intimidation, •• Supreme Commander*, •• Double the Fall, ••• You Disappoint Me, ••• At Last, •••• Standing Orders

*This is the toughest call I think. Supreme Commander is not the best command card ever, but I think it contributes more in a list like this than Phantom Menace does.

Edited by Lochlan

To get to 9 activations you have to go a little light on the upgrades for the saber users, so 8 activations is probably the way to go. But as I'd only play triple the fall for fun anyway I'm not too concerned about competitiveness.

2 hours ago, Haslamm1 said:

First look of this is he will be awesome after some practice. He's very vulnerable actually if you make mistakes or expose him, but he is one **** of a hammer if you are smart. Like a real assassin, pick your moment and don't just rush, overexpose and get shot

Not sure he should be red defense die, but maybe in play testing he was just too vulnerable if on white

I don't think any saber wielder will EVER have white defense die. Perhaps Ezra.

2 hours ago, Billion Year Old Carbon said:

I do feel as if Maul should not be too powerful. He proved himself incapable of defeating even Padawan Kenobi and, while he survived this defeat, he remained only as a tragic figure doomed to always be a less-significant part of greater plots and ploys. Though, as a character, this is where he becomes a lot more interesting.

He killed Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi MASTER.

1 hour ago, Billion Year Old Carbon said:

No way Maul could take out Neesons.

But he did!

49 minutes ago, Billion Year Old Carbon said:

His legs and genitals are potentially still out there, running wild with the dark side

The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural.

I am really liking Darth Maul, he looks like he will be a lot of fun to use.

I'm torn of which pose though, i like the one with his saber behind his back and the pose where he holds it with both hands. The other one with the saber in his right hand held out in front of him looks really awkward, i mean i'm not martial artist but having your weapon out loke that and having your weight on your opposite back leg seems weird.