Hmm. Yay?

By Daedalus, in Descent: Legends of the Dark

Watching the stream I was very interested in this game, it looked super cool. Then afterwards I saw the price... not happy about it.

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems like there are no classes? Each character instead has a skill-tree like system of skill cards they can get? If so, then I am definitely out. The only way i would even consider getting this for the price would be if there's an actual class system like second edition.

1 minute ago, rugal said:

This is no new art, this is horrible stuff made by one of the worst studen of bad drawing school ...

New art isn’t new, you read it here first.

Hi! Disclaimer. I do not work for the company.

Hard pass for the obligatory app, the comic art (not to mention the terrain), the forced incompatibility. The price is not a problem for my wallet, had I liked it I would have bought it. Maybe I am the one disconnected with the target audience. Or! The bet of holding a product in secret for almost a year without getting exposed to the FREE feedback of crowdfunding leads to a product wanted by just a fraction of your old players and not a whole lot new ones. And that’s the end of Descent. Act 2 may not even come. So pleased with my 1st and 2nd edition. Good luck everyone.

I would be really sorry if FFG members are hurt because of this, but there is month now that I retain my angryness : This game is awfull, is a real insult to all FFG fans, Descent fans who buy all of their games, spend time to make live the Descent 2nd edition, and now, with this horrible thing, they are gonna just throw us out, close the forums, and sell an over too expensive game no compatible with ancient games, ugly and boring, just because they want to make money and face some games like Gloomhaven ?

I'm so disapointed, hurt, that I miss words to explain my pain.

My only hope is that this game will be a total fail, and that they will have to do a real V3, or maybe a revival of the second edition.

8 minutes ago, HisEpicness said:

Watching the stream I was very interested in this game, it looked super cool. Then afterwards I saw the price... not happy about it.

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems like there are no classes? Each character instead has a skill-tree like system of skill cards they can get? If so, then I am definitely out. The only way i would even consider getting this for the price would be if there's an actual class system like second edition.

yes, it is, something like it was in Imperial assault, I think

6 minutes ago, HisEpicness said:

Races and classes were fixed to characters, no options there.. even load outs are partially restricted by the sounds of it... That put me off more than the app though I can't imagine the bottleneck that app will get... All the town stuff, some abilities, all item upgrades and recipes are handled by the app, that's so backwards.. Four players sitting around a single app having to wait before they can do any upgrades... its like a RPG where you have one book between half a dozen people levelling and upgrades take forever and unless you own the book you can browse in your own time...

I don't mind the art, or the cost, and I think it looks stunning... but .... Too much app and no character choice is just meh... I've got massive narratives, like Oathsworn and Middara, they do all of what this game offers and they allow me a huge variety in character choices and design, and don't have a bottleneck in a app.

9 minutes ago, rugal said:

This is no new art, this is horrible stuff made by one of the worst studen of bad drawing school ...

exactly... in this game ffg makes a bad copy of cmon's massive darkness... forgetting his own great style.

Its a bad attempt in take a new art style.

Objectivly speaking, this gane is bad in each aspect.

I'm fine with full coop Descent game. I would rather prefer the one with OL, but I guess that's not what most people want.

App is... meh, I guess, that's where FFG is going

But art... In my opinion, it just sucks. But that's not very objective. Art doesn't work well for Terrrinoth - that's a fact.

Anyway, I'll wait for 3rd edition, by the looks of expanstion to TI4 not everything is bad in FFG

Just now, crimsonsun said:

Races and classes were fixed to characters, no options there.. even load outs are partially restricted by the sounds of it... That put me off more than the app though I can't imagine the bottleneck that app will get... All the town stuff, some abilities, all item upgrades and recipes are handled by the app, that's so backwards.. Four players sitting around a single app having to wait before they can do any upgrades... its like a RPG where you have one book between half a dozen people levelling and upgrades take forever and unless you own the book you can browse in your own time...

I don't mind the art, or the cost, and I think it looks stunning... but .... Too much app and no character choice is just meh... I've got massive narratives, like Oathsworn and Middara, they do all of what this game offers and they allow me a huge variety in character choices and design, and don't have a bottleneck in a app.

i personally dont mind the app dependance. and since i really only play solo there wouldnt really be any sort of bottlenecking. But if your character skill cards and equipment are are locked then im out. thats just a straight up downgrade from second edition.

Just now, Letanir said:

I'm fine with full coop Descent game. I would rather prefer the one with OL, but I guess that's not what most people want.

App is... meh, I guess, that's where FFG is going

But art... In my opinion, it just sucks. But that's not very objective. Art doesn't work well for Terrrinoth - that's a fact.

Anyway, I'll wait for 3rd edition, by the looks of expanstion to TI4 not everything is bad in FFG

And my opinion is that it may not be so long before it comes. I think this game will divide the community, and they will have to go back. Maybe sooner than expected.
And just by now, by reading reactions on social network, I think that they are not so confident and maybe have another surprise in their pocket

6 minutes ago, rugal said:

... maybe have another surprise in their pocket

What kind of surprise? now i want another product line so bad, to pass this bad joke...

Give me good news!

7 minutes ago, HisEpicness said:

i personally dont mind the app dependance. and since i really only play solo there wouldnt really be any sort of bottlenecking. But if your character skill cards and equipment are are locked then im out. thats just a straight up downgrade from second edition.

Interesting I think you just helped nail something down for me... I like the app in mansions of maddness, but that's not a game I'd play solo beyond testing a scenario, especially a fan made one...

But I also play a lot of board games solo, but I don't want an app for solo play... I'm playing a board game, I want to play a boardgame especially solo... otherwise I'd load up my computer and play balders gate 3, wastelands 3, cyberpunk 2077 or another of dozens of fantastic fully digital titles I own...

Anyway games not for me, I'm not bitter, I wish them well and I'll carry on supporting the other games they produce I enjoy. :D I've also been eyeing twlight imperium heavily though I think I'd struggle to get it to the table so I have other avenues... also if its still in production I don't own imperial assualt and I've nearly pulled the trigger at least 3 times with that so I got places to spend my money.

1 minute ago, ringofox said:

What kind of surprise? now i want another product line so bad, to pass this bad joke...

Give me good news!

I haven't, but I know FFG enough to be reactive. Heroes of Terrinoth was a failure, so it was soon forgotten.
Terrinoth's line is one of their better product line. If this game selling is not as they were expecting, don't you think they will have another thing to show behind ?

I don't think they can afford to abandon Terrinoth. So, I'm almost sure they were somewhat prepared for this. MCU film's had many ressources to be able to offer the better to the fan, the most powerfull experience ever, with many cut scenes, many alternative ending, etc ... so they could adapt (remember how fans were angry because of Iron Man 3 and they were really fast to react), so, I think they will. Just let them sink a bit and let me have my pleasure to look at this, as prophet, as Thanos was prophetising the losing of the avengers !

First of all, I want to say that while the game definitely isn't worth to me whatever they'll be asking for it, it looks like it'll be an excellent experience for those who are fine with it.

Negatives:

• First and foremost the app-requirement, which will most assuredly be DRM-protected again. I abhor the dystopia of not fully owning copies I bought of whatever type of product.
  • Also, the lack of one versus many. Not that big a deal for me, but it would be a nice change of pace in a market all but overflowing with co-op narrative adventure miniature games. (And the potential game in that vain Kara described on the fly in broad strokes sounds fantastic; I don't get why they made a more modular narrative out to be worse.)

Ambivalents:

• The art. I really don't understand all the kvetching about it. I love(d) Descent 2e despite its art style, not because of it. Is it because the colors are more muted? I don't really have a strong preference on this in either direction, but the art would feel right at home in a fantasy graphic novel (of any level of maturity), so if it's that, I'm sort of baffled why it's a big deal. If it's the design of the gear, I'd understand it from newcomers, but not at all from Descent 2e veterans. It's high fantasy with a slant toward the impractical. If it's not realistic enough for you, how could you ever stand playing Descent 2e? And if this isn't cartoony enough for you, I am at a loss for words. Are you that desperate for boob plates? Said slant is most prominent in the gargantuan handlebars on Brynn's helmet (combined with long flowing hair and an exposed neck, to boot) and Kehli's complete lack of head protection (while otherwise encased in armor), both of which bother me, but I'd be happy to ignore them (as well as Brynn's bulky pauldrons and utterly inefficient choice of grip for her shield (although it's quite hard, to be honest), Kehli's impractically huge hammer and almost as inefficient shield grip (in her case it's not completely implausible), the general lack of helmets on the other four (less crucial given their archetypes), and some of the decorative bibs and bobs here and there (it's high fantasy, after all, and most of them wouldn't be in the way when in combat)). The third type of complaint I could potentially see is that both frontline fighters are female. Let's just ignore the bad argument for why that's a bad thing and focus on the valid one, okay? It is indeed an odd choice for a core box given that in my experience most people for some reason don't like playing a character of the opposite sex. Same goes for both mages being male. Further evidence for upcoming hero packs, I guess. On a related note, I can't even begin to tell you how much I love that the (main) archer has appropriately muscled arms. Combat archery requires strength above all else, followed by hand-eye coordination. It's nothing "dainty".
  • The tiles. On the one hand being highly modular is objectively a good thing, but on the other hand they lost every ounce of character and "organic flow" the old ones had.
  • The three-act release plan. Combined with a wink toward small expansions - only thing that seems to fit would be packs of additional heroes and minions; maybe side-quest DLC.

Positives:

• The level of detail on the miniatures. They're positively tantalizing. (And unless I misheard, they said that they will be hard plastic - because it allows for said detail. An absolute positive in my book, but I guess people should prepare to put clippers to sprues before playing. Unless they only use the app (plus the cards) on a tablet/online, I suppose.)
  • Also the specific types of figures included - both heroes and villains - considering this is the core Act 1. The former cover the full range of standard archetypes, apparently with significant customizability. And among the latter, highlighting rune golems and dragon hybrids as defining features of Mennara is a solid choice, bandits and wolves are always good for mundane encounters, and having three types each of undead- and demon-aligned enemies is great on multiple levels: Starting out fairly basic is rarely a bad thing, especially since they are the two most pressing threats in the setting. And they allow for varied, yet cohesive groups of enemies, something Descent 2e's core set sorely lacked.
  • The terrain pieces. Nothing outstanding, but they do enhance the experience - and with no special features on the tiles, they're desperately needed for the map not to look bland.
  • The range of choices and consequences throughout the game as described in the live-stream (and its chat) does sound promising. Of course, they have yet to deliver, though.
  • Also the new (combat) gameplay mechanics described in the article, although I haven't pondered them all that much yet. (I enjoy sleeves being used for more than protection.)
  • And perhaps most importantly (j/k), the way the described it, they went back to rational line-of-sight rules. Hallelujah!

On a side note, when I started writing this tiny tome, there were only 15 replies, so I'm not taking anything more recent into account.

$180. Just wow. I could see $100. Not almost double that.

As someone who has no horse in this race and has very little emotional attachment to the Terrinoth universe, the art they've used for their products prior to this point (such as in the Genesys book) strikes me as incredibly generic fantasy art. Not artistically bad (the artists they contract all [mostly] do excellent work), but the designs and imagery is very bland, as in, it could be from something from Lord of the Rings or maybe Warcraft or maybe Dungeons and Dragons or maybe something else.

It just seems like, with this new style, someone is trying to give Terrinoth a newer, more identifiable style, for better or worse.

10 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

As someone who has no horse in this race and has very little emotional attachment to the Terrinoth universe, the art they've used for their products prior to this point (such as in the Genesys book) strikes me as incredibly generic fantasy art. Not artistically bad (the artists they contract all [mostly] do excellent work), but the designs and imagery is very bland, as in, it could be from something from Lord of the Rings or maybe Warcraft or maybe Dungeons and Dragons or maybe something else.

It just seems like, with this new style, someone is trying to give Terrinoth a newer, more identifiable style, for better or worse.

Thats the idea qhen you renew the art direction of an entire IP. But heres is not the case, they didnt achieve that... Theres nothing in the backgrounds of the characters, theres no universe or climax... the tiles, o my god, seems like generic tiles from shutterstock, using premade textures from photoshop 5.1.... and the water... oh my god the water!

Edited by ringofox

Thats the idea qhen you renew the art direction of an entire IP. But heres is not the case, they didnt achieve that...

Is that a fact or an opinion?

1 minute ago, Swordbreaker said:

Is that a fact or an opinion?

is an opinion based in my experience in boargames and also in art direction. Im not pretend to have the only word, sorry if you misunderstandme.

Want to show you a crossbow.

3690C5C3-762C-4B05-9BA4-98F39BDF2373.jpeg

is an opinion based in my experience in boargames and also in art direction. Im not pretend to have the only word, sorry if you misunderstandme.

Want to show you a crossbow.

3690C5C3-762C-4B05-9BA4-98F39BDF2373.jpeg

I mean, sure it's not super realistic, but it looks okay to me, and is identifiable. I play Final Fantasy games, so I have a high-threshold for ridiculous weapons. It just looks stylistic to me, and wouldn't by itself be a deal-breaker.

5 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

I mean, sure it's not super realistic, but it looks okay to me, and is identifiable. I play Final Fantasy games, so I have a high-threshold for ridiculous weapons. It just looks stylistic to me, and wouldn't by itself be a deal-breaker.

You pay 175$ for "ok" stuff, with a game that needs you a GSM to be played with, and once the app is gone, you cannot play your game again ?

175$ for just ok stuff ??

3 minutes ago, rugal said:

You pay 175$ for "ok" stuff, with a game that needs you a GSM to be played with, and once the app is gone, you cannot play your game again ?

175$ for just ok stuff ??

I can only speak for myself, but if I were to make that kind of investment into something, I would be worried more about the quality of the game mechanics, the durability of the cards and miniatures themselves, the quality of the campaign design, etc. Again, that art would not be a deal-breaker.

1 hour ago, ringofox said:

Objectivly speaking , this gane is bad in each aspect.

514VeKo8yCL._AC_SY355_.jpg

2 minutes ago, rugal said:

How many people are typing these laments on smartphones, laptops, tablets, or PCs that will cost them several times more than this game, that they plan on having for a shorter time than this game than this game will be functional? Value is subjective.

20 minutes ago, ringofox said:

Thats the idea qhen you renew the art direction of an entire IP. But heres is not the case, they didnt achieve that... Theres nothing in the backgrounds of the characters, theres no universe or climax... the tiles, o my god, seems like generic tiles from shutterstock, using premade textures from photoshop 5.1.... and the water... oh my god the water!

I need hyperbole in my life more than I need oxygen, water, or calories, and even I think you're going just a tad overboard.

This is what we're coming from...

ruins.png

Surely a lawsuit from shutterstock is imminent?????

34 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

This is where I'm coming from, too. Descent 1st and 2nd ed art is very much of its era, this game has art that's very much of its own.

12 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

Huh?! (Regarding both statements.) I don't really have a mental image of the first round of Terrinoth games, but the second round (Descent 1e etc.) looks like fairly standard, slightly cartoony pre-WoW fantasy (it launched at around the same time), the third round (Descent 2 etc.) looks like fairly standard, extremely cartoony WoW-era fantasy (and absolutely nothing like any official iteration of The Lord of the Rings), and this new game looks like fairly standard, slightly cartoony post-WoW fantasy (namely D&D5e). I don't understand why people are so obsessed with whether something looks "mainstream" instead of judging something by whatever aesthetic factors they personally deem relevant regardless of their general popularity.

And just for the record, at its core Terrinoth always has been and always will be what is (disparagingly) called "generic Tolkien-esque pseudo-European fantasy", but almost all of those generic elements have fairly unusual to outright unique parts in their lore, some of which (like mounts) visible on pictures/miniatures. None of this has much at all to do with art style .

Watching it now, be back in an hour and a half