Hmm. Yay?

By Daedalus, in Descent: Legends of the Dark

I hate to start a new forum for a new game with a negative, but this is going to be a hard pass for me, at least for the time being. They didn’t even finish 2E. I’m also not a fan of the artwork, and the characters aren’t even the same.

i don’t know. I’m sure someone is excited about this, but at that price tag I’m just wishing more of those resources would have been put into 2E.

this happens when a company disconnect with the audience totally....

very bad art and design

poor concept

app mandatory driven - this is a videogame with toys?

the game lenght didnt respond to the modern era

expensive as ****

zero original

and they call it the "definitive" dungeon crawler?

i mean... comeon.... everything is bad with this ¿"game"?

and im not a troll... i spend this last days hyped as **** with this announcement...

My biggest issue is the app. It's one thing to have an app that serves to expand a playable game, but to have the game entirely dependent on the app is not cool in my mind. Am I the only one concerned that the game will be unplayable after Armageddon? What am I supposed to do with this game when I'm sitting on a pile of ashes with no electricity??? (and yes, I am serious)

2 minutes ago, tomkat364 said:

My biggest issue is the app. It's one thing to have an app that serves to expand a playable game, but to have the game entirely dependent on the app is not cool in my mind. Am I the only one concerned that the game will be unplayable after Armageddon? What am I supposed to do with this game when I'm sitting on a pile of ashes with no electricity??? (and yes, I am serious)

indeed... this born as a "forgeatable game"

I'm happy of the app on my end. I play coop exclusively, and having an app greatly accelerates setup time and reduces table foot print. I played with the Imperial Assault app, and that was a blast.

I love the art as well.

14 minutes ago, ringofox said:

this happens when a company disconnect with the audience totally....

very bad art and design

poor concept

app mandatory driven - this is a videogame with toys?

the game lenght didnt respond to the modern era

expensive as ****

zero original

and they call it the "definitive" dungeon crawler?

i mean... comeon.... everything is bad with this ¿"game"?

and im not a troll... i spend this last days hyped as **** with this announcement...

Okay...

Sorry, but i just can't agree with you on any points here, though i understand it's mainly a matter of taste and personal opinion.

I think this is the future of boardgames and most people will really enjoy it, some others won't as much.

Just give it time will you? more will be revealed soon.

Personally, i find it all very exciting 😃

Edited by Shirys

My initial reaction is disappointed but will wait and see. I don't love app required but it is what makes them differ from other popular dungeon crawlers like gloomhaven.

That said I did play a demo of LOTR and it was quite fun, I'm assuming we will have a similar experience here. Having a quality tablet makes the experience solid.

2 minutes ago, Shirys said:

I think this is the future of boardgames and most people will really enjoy it.

this is also a matter of taste and personal opinion.

To me the apps in boardgames are a trend from the past... this apps didnt add anything interesting in boardgames beyond "setup manager" or stupid things as "enemy rolls dices"... nothing that a good board game design can make by his own.

the future in boardgames is to keeping this wonderful magic without the digital, theres the magic... Thats why i love boardgames and videgames bored me...

And yes, is a personal opinion of course, but this is FFG (not sure anymore) and i grow with the best ameritrash designs in history, this hobby is amazing... i dont want app only driven games, not only in my shelves, i dont wantit in the marker.

We all knew it was going to be app driven co-op only game. Which is fantastic. I wish people would stop reiterating on that. But the art work, tiles and 3D objects along with the MSRP...175 USD lol...I have no words. But hey the app sounds really well done and the minis look great. But over all pretty disappointing especially with that price. I really wish they would keep reprinting 2nd ed big box expansions for those of us who are still interested.

16 minutes ago, batman14 said:

and having an app greatly accelerates setup time

good luck with your setup with all that ugly cardboard around the table...

Edited by ringofox

While I wish it didn’t utilize an app, I can get past it. One of the worst things in my opinion is the artwork. It just doesn’t look like Terrinoth. I’ve loved the universe and lore and have purchased everything FFG has put out on it but this...I’m just not too sure about. And at about $200, ehhhh, I’m worried.

I dont have a problem with the app per ce, but that hero sheet art is TERRIBLE. That elf (I am guessing) looks like an anorexic vegabond! Bliah!

22 minutes ago, Lukez said:

I don't love app required but it is what makes them differ from other popular dungeon crawlers like gloomhaven.

This is the key takeaway for me. I knew they were going to struggle to compete with the Elephant in the room. Gloomhaven is such a comprehensive experience, I see this as bringing two distinct features to the table:

1. App-driven gameplay:

This is kind of a no-brainer given how much they've been pushing toward apps lately. Personally I don't have a problem with apps but I prefer them for between-games than at table. On the other hand, Mansions of Madness is a great example of an in-game app done very well. They're able to create a depth and throw surprises at you on a level that would be nearly impossible or at least quite difficult without it. For my own games I prefer to make apps or online builders something extra, and have a booklet to do things the other way, but I'm not flat-out opposed to it. They have an opportunity here for animations, sounds, etc. that Gloomhaven could never reach. They probably see it as a "Differentiate or die" matter, which is absolutely true. Descent 2e stands in the shadow of Gloomhaven. This is really the only alternative.

2. 3D terrain

I realize this might be silly but in all honesty, the appeal of tabletop gaming over electronic is not only the timelessness of it, but the physicality and immersion that can come as a result. To that end, I've always felt that games like Imperial Assault and Gloomhaven have wanted in... depth, for lack of a better word. A 3D gamespace creates a beautiful immersion that unfortunately is too often prohibited by cost. From a cursory view it looks like they're fully embracing the cardboard-assembly model, which I believe is the future of tabletop in the near term. The premium price point certainly does reflect this, and while it's a bit steep for a single campaign... it's too early to say, really. Mentally bookmarking this to check up on later. We have time before it's out. Let's wait and see what happens and how it all shakes out.

33 minutes ago, ringofox said:

this is also a matter of taste and personal opinion.

I entirely agree with you.

the future in boardgames is to keeping this wonderful magic without the digital, theres the magic... Thats why i love boardgames and videgames bored me...

I had the same problem with video games, so i can relate. I do tend to play video games less and less, replaced with board gaming time which i enjoy and get immersed into more.

Still, i never really felt like the use of an app like Road To Legend removed any of the magical feel into the game; i feel like it enhanced, or even brought a new interesting approach to it. The same magic i felt as a teenager while playing Advanced D&D (1st Ed) by myself with my own boundless imagination, the excitement of discovery after you tap a door and the app tells you to setup this tile and that tile, with this many monster and terrain features, plus a potential special event. Paper and cardboard can't come up with that except with some random card mechanic and thick adventure books who keep piling up as new expansions get released - though i admit, i'd perfectly fine with that too. I did collect everything from Descent 1st and 2nd Ed and i DO enjoy the adventure books, cards and even the older, overly complex, brought out of the bat Road To Legend campaign system from 1st Ed with just too much stuff to keep track of! I am neither pro nor anti app driven games, as long as it is well integrated into the game, which seems to also be the case with Descent:LotD.

They obviously appear to have put a lot of effort into the development of this app and, from what i've heard in their recent Twitch stream, there will be good amount of side quests too! Plenty of things to do outside the main quest line, as they said. Also apparently, you'll have the ability to interact with 3D terrain, such as climbing trees, or topple a stone column on a monsters, or use it as a bridge over a gap!

i dont want app only driven games, not only in my shelves, i dont wantit in the marker.

Why not?

There are types of games, or mechanics which i don't enjoy such as card drafting or semi-coop games; Still, i accept them being on the market. You not enjoying it doesn't mean others don't.

Edited by Shirys

Love coop, ok with app driven (VERY occasionally). Art is for sure a downer and the price tag is a 'no way'! All that being said I already have LOTR:JIME why do the same thing with different pieces of plastic and cardboard? With owning JIME already the price basically doubles in trying to keep up with both. I am not getting rid of what I already have + don't need/want another app driven game that does the same thing as I am sure both will become obsolete at the same time.

This isn't for me, I don't mind apps and I like Co-op but my word that app seems to take a huge amount of the gameplay out.. It tracks your feats, your weapons, your combos, your recipes.. and when your shopping via the app imagine the wait around the table for the other players... Seems like a huge bottle neck.

Game looks stunning.. I don't mind the cost either.. I hope they do really well and that lots of people will love this game, no negative feelings towards FFG because this games not for me at all, but its not for me..

Super Sad about no overlord but I knew that would be the case, its just sad because that would have made it a auto purchase... Fixed Class/race characters is another negative for me as well, pre-set load outs, ewww.. I buy fully co-op games, and I enjoy MoM second edition but somehow they've made someone with all one D1e and all of D2e not want this D3e but not 3e... I sound bitter I'm actually not, I really wish them the best success but its just not for me, luckily there's plenty of other games that are for me I just hope that someone else takes up the torch of a compeitive dungeon crawler, as that's a hole in the market that only descent had covered and no is a void, so lets hope some other company pick up the torch for me...

Did I say this looks stunning, and the 3d elements and levels look crazy good... cause they do...

Id say a good chunk of people probably only play d2 because of RtL. Me being one of them. I feel RtL had a good mix of tracking the game and having the players also have to track movement, items etc. MoM is definitely a more polished app and a better thematic experience that I will admit sometimes feels like the app is doing to much and I feel that is what we will get with this but on an ever larger scale. For anyone who doesn't have a competitive dedicated gaming group descent with overlord isn't very reasonable.... RtL made 2nd edition playable for a lot of players who still actively enjoy it

11 minutes ago, Shirys said:

I entirely agree with you.

I had the same problem with video games, so i can relate. I do tend to play video games less and less, replaced with board gaming time which i enjoy and get immersed into more.

Still, i never really felt like the use of an app like Road To Legend removed any of the magical feel into the game; i feel like it enhanced, or even brought a new interesting approach to it. The same magic i felt as a teenager while playing Advanced D&D (1st Ed) by myself with my own boundless imagination, the excitement of discovery after you tap a door and the app tells you to setup this tile and that tile, with this many monster and terrain features, plus a potential special event. Paper and cardboard can't come up with that except with some random card mechanic and thick adventure books who keep piling up as new expansions get released - though i admit, i'd perfectly fine with that too. I did collect everything from Descent 1st and 2nd Ed and i DO enjoy the adventure books, cards and even the older, overly complex, brought out of the bat Road To Legend campaign system from 1st Ed with just too much stuff to keep track of! I am neither pro nor anti app driven games, as long as it is well integrated into the game, which seems to also be the case with Descent:LotD.

They obviously appear to have put a lot of effort into the development of this app and, from what i've heard in their recent Twitch stream, there will be good amount of side quests too! Plenty of things to do outside the main quest line, as they said. Also apparently, you'll have the ability to interact with 3D terrain, such as climbing trees, or topple a stone column on a monsters, or use it as a bridge over a gap!

Why not?

There are types of games, or mechanics which i don't enjoy such as card drafting or semi-coop games; Still, i accept them being on the market. You not enjoying it doesn't mean others don't.

you are right... actaully im trying to manage my dissapointment, thats why i being so categoric.

Still, not for me. Sadly i was expecting this a lot.

cheers

Oh boy. That character art is hard pass for me. App is yay and 3D stuff is interesting, but this art style has become one of the sure ways to ensure I won't purchase the product.

The game is as worse as I bêta tested it : the art is ugly, the game is almost disconnected from descent universe, the only payable app is a scandal ...

Only miniature looks like great, all other is ugly, stupid, boring, and uninterresting. I tried to tell this during the test but I was kicked.

I'm almost sure the game won't live more than Runewars miniatures : few expansions during 2 years if lucky, and that's all.

With that awfully stupidly high price, the totally disconnection with the fans, the only app driven (and the app is far from being good), I'm really sorry to say that but I hope it will be a big fail so they would never go this way again, listen back to their fan, maybe give the second edition a new life, or a Real respectable V3

Now, guys, I'm going back on my loved Descent Second edition

The game seems like it’ll look really rad on the tabletop. Between Gloomhaven, Frosthaven, and 7th Continent I dunno that I’ll have practical or literal room for this... but the sculpts look great and FFGs app stuff has only gotten better.

7 minutes ago, crimsonsun said:

This isn't for me, I don't mind apps and I like Co-op but my word that app seems to take a huge amount of the gameplay out.. It tracks your feats, your weapons, your combos, your recipes.. and when your shopping via the app imagine the wait around the table for the other players... Seems like a huge bottle neck.

Game looks stunning.. I don't mind the cost either.. I hope they do really well and that lots of people will love this game, no negative feelings towards FFG because this games not for me at all, but its not for me..

Super Sad about no overlord but I knew that would be the case, its just sad because that would have made it a auto purchase... Fixed Class/race characters is another negative for me as well, pre-set load outs, ewww.. I buy fully co-op games, and I enjoy MoM second edition but somehow they've made someone with all one D1e and all of D2e not want this D3e but not 3e... I sound bitter I'm actually not, I really wish them the best success but its just not for me, luckily there's plenty of other games that are for me I just hope that someone else takes up the torch of a compeitive dungeon crawler, as that's a hole in the market that only descent had covered and no is a void, so lets hope some other company pick up the torch for me...

Did I say this looks stunning, and the 3d elements and levels look crazy good... cause they do...

I really like your constructive criticism 😃

Are you aware? FFG said we'll also be able to interact with 3D terrain.

I also wonder how climbing up different levels of terrain will be brought.

I posted this in another thread just before I saw thread. I'm just going to copy and paste because I honestly I'm just too lazy to type it again. Lol.

So far I like what I see. Considering what I've spent to own every single component for D2e, MoM and JiME, not to mention painting/basing supplies, the price tag is not an issue for me. I see so many "So this game is dead?" threads... I for one don't mind ponying up to support a new product.

It looks like LotD hero depictions allow for improved inclusion, giving this game greater appeal to a wide range of gamers and current non-gamers alike. I can imagine many people identifying on some level with the hero that they have chosen to play in LotD. The more people that we are able to get on board with a new game, hopefully the greater support it will have in the coming years. IDK... maybe I'm just seeing things that aren't there. Either way, I'm really looking forward to a new experience. 🙂

I'm so relieved that I have no interest in buying this 😄

5 minutes ago, ringofox said:

you are right... actaully im trying to manage my dissapointment, thats why i being so categoric.

Still, not for me. Sadly i was expecting this a lot.

cheers

I can understand 😃

It is still a big shock to us all, good or bad!