Hmm. Yay?

By Daedalus, in Descent: Legends of the Dark

1 minute ago, Aerexx said:

Id say a good chunk of people probably only play d2 because of RtL. Me being one of them. I feel RtL had a good mix of tracking the game and having the players also have to track movement, items etc. MoM is definitely a more polished app and a better thematic experience that I will admit sometimes feels like the app is doing to much and I feel that is what we will get with this but on an ever larger scale. For anyone who doesn't have a competitive dedicated gaming group descent with overlord isn't very reasonable.... RtL made 2nd edition playable for a lot of players who still actively enjoy it

Oh without a doubt, fully agree here. I love more games being inclusive and bringing more players into games... However the co-op market is a very heavily contested and full place right now... I have literally a dozen games I've got coming on Kickstarter in this area, so I've got to ask if the app enough for me to get this, and its not, this game goes to far into the app from what we've been told.. I like a app to help play not become the centre of the gaming environment.. Computer games now have fantastic multiple environments and can do fully co-op with your mates, without having to share time on a single app... it becomes a negative.

I do hope this does well, and that people love it and it really provides that co-op intergration that people seek because it looks beautiful just if I want digital experience I will go fully digital or supporting app... Anyway not for me but glad its going to scratch some others itches!

Personally, I open to try new things. I am looking forward to the game play in the future stream. Also the classes I thought seemed cool.

Edited by Mr. LeeOC
44 minutes ago, ringofox said:

this is also a matter of taste and personal opinion.

To me the apps in boardgames are a trend from the past... this apps didnt add anything interesting in boardgames beyond "setup manager" or stupid things as "enemy rolls dices"... nothing that a good board game design can make by his own.

the future in boardgames is to keeping this wonderful magic without the digital, theres the magic... Thats why i love boardgames and videgames bored me...

And yes, is a personal opinion of course, but this is FFG (not sure anymore) and i grow with the best ameritrash designs in history, this hobby is amazing... i dont want app only driven games, not only in my shelves, i dont wantit in the marker.

I'm si according with you !

I quit video games because they were mord and more realistic and no fun at all, so I go to board games and now board games are going to be vidéos game with miniatures on a board to move ?

Looks like I will have to find another hobby ...

Just now, rugal said:

I'm si according with you !

I quit video games because they were mord and more realistic and no fun at all, so I go to board games and now board games are going to be vidéos game with miniatures on a board to move ?

Looks like I will have to find another hobby ...

Plenty of non app board games out there... I can pm you a list if you like.... :P

Sadly nothing new that's a competitive dungeon crawler, I've been looking for years... only descent did that and now it doesn't so 1e and 2e rock but if you want a new supported title lets hope someone else picks up the torch. :D

Descent V2 app was a total miss : monstres were only brainless berserkers, the app never know the situation so does random effects based only on time so Luther you have luck and you win with ease either you are not and you lose overwhelmed by difficulties.

Totally crash !

1 hour ago, ringofox said:

good luck with your setup with all that ugly cardboard around the table...

Ahaha, I find it cool on the table on my end. It's like Heroquest++. 3d elements are super cool.

I was so looking forward to this that I went on Twitch for the first time ever just to watch the reveal.

Sadly I'm feeling very disappointed. That art is horrible, no Overlord player, not thrilled at the tile design either. Some of the design decisions look fun - interactive scenery and the flipable/sleeve-combo cards, but sadly my group will never play - we need a physical DM as our games are raucous and no one will ever listen to an app!

The minis are looking good - I may buy just to paint them, and/or to retro convert material back to 2e so we get some new material...

Meh.

I dont mind App based gameplay
BUT
The game will only live as long as the app does.
SO

if they really wanted to alleviate any anxiety about the game/app life they could do what Return to Dark Tower did. Guarantee that if the company every stops supporting the app it will go open source. That way a strong community can extend the life of the game.

It's competing with Frosthaven for my shelf space and dollars, but looks good, so far.

Who agreed on the artwork... I’m out of words! The style is a direct copy of CMON games as Zombicide and stuff. And the art work on the tiles!? That’s a direct downgrade compare to other FFG games as IA and D2e... like they had a deadline to make or something :P. But this doesn’t feels like FFG at all

I like the app in other games as addon, but this might be too app driven. And I still like the board game as a board game.

anyway I’ll stop complaining, I’m out for sure.. 200% sure after I saw the price!

sorry for being negative. But I hope the enthusiast among us get what they want.

cheers! (Hopefully FFG doesn’t read this topic.. Some may have some sleepless nights :P)

That price point is an insta-pass. I know Kickstarters are going that high, and the 'per mini' price is ok or whatever... but no. It's too expensive for an unproven crawler when there's a dozen on the market, and some of em we know are good. I wish the company well. I'm guessing this one dies.

16 minutes ago, TryFal said:

cheers! (Hopefully FFG doesn’t read this topic.. S

They must read this!! They have to listen to the audience!! Is important. Do not buy this... and will see... Im stil waiting for Heroes of Terrinoth content... More of Runebound 3rd... and more

Edited by ringofox

But wait! nobody talks here about the important thing!

¿Since when there trees in a dungeon?

Sorry to disillusion you, but FFG has been notoriously awful at communicating with their customers, much less listen to them.

Perhaps they would indeed rethink some of their choices if this game flops, but I fear Asmodee would rather cancel the whole line than give them a chance to return to the drawing board and redo it from scratch.

The sad thing is, there might be a lot of potential in this game, and the presentation really felt like this was a labor of love for the designers. But some of the choices are so far of from what Terrinoth has been for the past years I'm still baffled.

FFG Fans: BOO, FFG recycles uses art too much!

Also FFG Fans: BOO, new art!

Aside from that there’s just no chance there was going to be an Overlord in this game. FFG hasn’t really used that model since Imperial Assault and it’s just not in the zeitgeist right now.

*Inserts ALL negative comments here*

Yes.

I think the art looks really good. The figures are also really nicely sculpted, and I'm excited to paint them. I don't mind the app, it likely replaces about 50 decks of cards and about 100 different tokens. The price point looks accurate and I'm ok with it. Also the UNDO button in the app is worth at least $40-$50.

So. Is this an out of season april fools joke?

Just now, Necronson said:

So. Is this an out of season april fools joke?

It's so sad that this is what comes to mind.

Ok, no nonsense here, Here is why I will definitely skip... One positive are some new interesting mechanics, but that's it. The rest :

The app : Ok, App driven games can be good, but not in this case. I watched the FFG twitch from start to finish. They described a battle, and it's going to be such a drag... First, punch in app who attacks what monster with which weapon. Next, roll physical dice, next apply all your surges and effects, then punch everything back in the app. That is just 1 round !! So imagine playing a 3 player game with each having 2 rounds of battle each... not even saying for the defense rolls to also punch in the app... so either we'll be waiting for one to finish his battle using the app and pass around the medium, or one player will constantly be punching stuff in while everybody else wait till they finish.. Not a good experience. If you use and app, it has to be for story, ambiance and keeping track of some quick stuff. You have to limit the usage, otherwise people will take 60% of their time watching or interacting with a screen, which is so anti-climactic of a board game. Fun factor.. 0 unless you play solo.

No compatibility whatsoever with previous editions : As one who purchased everything for 2nd edition, I am really, really annoyed by this. It was yadi-yada'd by saying it's a game of it's own, but really, are we kidding ourselves ? It's a full fledge reboot. They did the same with X-Wing, but at least we had the upgrade kit to continue on and have the luxury of not re-buying all our ships we already owned. Not this time though.. I spent too much money on the 2nd edition, and now they expect me to start all over again with these 3 huge box-huge priced ? No thank you. I saw that in multiple times in the chat box in the twitch and I agree, I'm selling my 2nd edition stuff and I'm done with Descent. Otherwise I'll get tricked again in a few years with a fourth edition, just like Twilight Imperium.

Art : I know this is a matter of opinion, by I don't like it. The cards too, the aesthetics of it are pretty bland.. a small picture with black and white text underneath... It could've been better. I don't like the huge helmets on characters, and their faces are too much like a bad comic.

The story : Really, 1 campaign only... no scenario's, no skirmish, plus its a 3 act campaign. So to get the full story, you have to buy everything else. Doesn't anybody smell cash grab here ? Again, minimizing this by saying some characters may unlock different options or you have multiple save slots to restart with other character... no thank you. I Will not play a 50+ hours game and restart everything just to see if I can get a different choice unlocked somewhere.. come on ! Ok, I can play with different game groups, but I strongly suspect, as with Journeys in Middle-Earth, it'll get tiresome to fight the same monsters and have the same story.

The price : Wow. 175$ USD. plus shipping if you buy online. Also, as a big bonus, I live in Canada, silly me, so 175 USD is more than 200$ for me ! For a third of a complete game, using mainly an app, with minimal replay value... This price is huge because mainly of the new terrain stuff.. so... we're paying for cardboard cosmetics.... No, way. in, heck. I get much more interesting Kickstarter games than a generic dungeon app crawl at that price.

My recent history with FFG : Basically... invested in X-wing, got ditched for 2.0 but with chance to upgrade. Bought Warhammer quest, super game... disappeared. Ok, re-format with heroes of Terrinoth.. great !... disappeared. Finally got around to find all the Twilight Imperium stuff... oh... darn it.. now it's obsolete since there's now a FOURTH EDITION ... :( :( Ouhh.. this awesome star wars game called Outer Rim.... abandoned. Fallout.. awesome ! Super disappointed, pour ending system, caught up just a bit with atomic bonds, but too little, too late. So yeah, if it wasn't for their extra awesome LCG's, I would be done here.

In conclusion, all of this could've been one big upgrade and extension of 2nd edition using all the existing tiles and monsters.. A new app, new character sheets, new weapons/item cards to match the mechanics, heck.. even the dice could've been in the app. It would've re-vamped all the already existing content, bring new players and reward loyal fans all at the same time ! But nope, they prefer to re-boot, and try to get people to re-buy on this other iteration of an already amazing game, that unfortunately, will now be going to the archives.

One disappointed and angry fan.

Edited by micpom
Syntax corrections

So far a colossal let down.

I watched the live stream today and it didn't do anything to win me over.

The art is horrendous (looks like they hired someone from tumbler do the art and create the characters) and i'm not a fan of app assisted games

With such a glut of new dungeon crawlers coming out ( Darkest Dungeon, Frost Haven, Massive Darkness 2) and the hefty price tag, Descent really has it's work cut out for it.

For now this is a whiff...

25 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

😂

The art style is amazing, its difrent but amazing in my opinion. Card layouts, app etc all look very coherently.

I played LOTR:JiME couple of times and had a blast, app gives some immersion and its just evolution of boardgames. Not for every game but in game like that, dungeoncrawlers? It fits IMO.

Minis are very nice, tiles probably will look better in real life.

For me its a good succesor and step forward. Wish i had more time to play games :)

44 minutes ago, ringofox said:

They must read this!! They have to listen to the audience!! Is important. Do not buy this... and will see... Im stil waiting for Heroes of Terrinoth content... More of Runebound 3rd... and more

I too hope they do ! I tried to warn them when I was beta tester, but they kicked me because I wasn't a blinded fan who just love their ... big mistake !

2 hours ago, KalEl814 said:

Aside from that there’s just no chance there was going to be an Overlord in this game. FFG hasn’t really used that model since Imperial Assault and it’s just not in the zeitgeist right now.

This is no new art, this is horrible stuff made by one of the worst student of bad drawing school ...

Edited by rugal