New Descent, we'll know more on the 22nd!

By Cotgrave, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

1 minute ago, LiquidLogic said:

Ahem - $174.95

Nuff said.

Maybe they should have done a Kickstarter...

Well I hope the players of this game really enjoy it!

$175... for act 1? Are they all going to be $175? I mean, $525 is a lot for 1 game that is pigeonholed into an app.

Holy ****, this looks ugly and horrible. Just noooooo

4 minutes ago, LiquidLogic said:

Ahem - $174.95

Nuff said.

The good thing is I have all the Descent 2nd products ever launched (except the coop-campaigns. "Coop" and "app" being the key words for not buying this)

And that's 175 buckazoids saved. :)

29 minutes ago, frankelee said:

The artwork is different, but I've been around long enough to know that everybody hates new styles of artwork when they see them the first time because they're different.

this is not a "different" art style, its simply a "bad" artstyle, looks terrible, generic from the 90s without the retro charm... those lava, and water tiles.... still april fools day, someone wake up me please!

These were the tiles from Starwars Imperial assault 6 years ago. Um what happened.

336be72c-b953-4a04-9fb1-d20691d05a55.jpg

e51cd491-af57-4834-91f9-4dc594393ba4.jpg

Hmm it says 'not available' which may give some hope to people wanting to complete/ add to second edition as 'not available' matches some of that product line's statuses.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/10/22/descent-legends-of-the-dark/

$174.95 (£133.63 currently) is quite ouch but it does have the 40 better quality minis in the box, I'm really trying to not veer into negative comment territory but I initially thought that's a getting everything right price more than an a few things falling a little short price, but from the FFG news item I feel it falls less short than first impressions and also then I did some math on the price and it started to seem more acceptable, the artwork is actually still growing on me and the app sounds like it could be very good and quite a step up from RTL which is already strong. I DO like the 3d nature of the terrain and how the game sounds as a different experience to 'journeys'.

Price-wise after you get over the big number shock it's actually pretty reasonable for what's in the box, if you just count the minis that's £3.34 each and individual minis are often around the £4.99 mark just for the smaller ones going on local pricing (remember 2e just gave us cardboard for some enemies unless you purchased the lieutenant packs)

2e has 39 @ UK £61.07 so £1.56 per mini, hmm, more than doubled up on the price but then 2e even the same would probably be priced quite a bit higher if it were a new release.

It's actually good not to have the '3rd edition of everything so do you replace your 2e kit dilemma' as trust me that would be so expensive I likely wouldn't, and whilst it's sort of not compatible it may give a few options for my 2e projects - it's nice to have the new characters and new enemies, as well as some variants of old ones, but mostly new so it's not just an upgrade and I reckon will be quite fun to explore alongside the other games.

Yeah, so mixed feelings, and I think I like 2e more overall, but can still see this joining my collection on a 'different game' basis :)

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
mixed feels

Even the app screenshots look rather bland. The crafting screen looks like a placeholder compared to the neat design of Road to Legend. I really seems like they put no effort into the art assets of this game, completely losing their previous very recognizable Terrinoth artstyle in the process. I didn't even realize that this was such a big thing for me before seeing how they changed it so drastically.

Edited by DerDelphi

The gameplay actually sounds very intriguing.

But the character and item artwork is a massive barrier.

Although the 3D terrain is growing on me if they can keep the fiddliness to a minimum.

They would have done better for their product line if they added a 2nd edition campaign book or another expansion box with a set of skirmish rules.

1 hour ago, Tintaglia said:

On the contrary it does permit it. You can change character , add or subdue characters between sessions

How did you read that whole post and pick out this one thing to comment on out of context? It's not about changing characters, its about changing people playing, and wanting to play a one off session that isnt just starting over again repeatedly.

Edited by Kaaihn

Some interesting concepts but I'm not really feeling this.

This was supposed to be FFGs gloomhaven killer but instead it's making massive darkness 2 look good.

Gloomhaven recently released jaws of the lion, an app free, cheaper more accessible version. Which has a book of detailed maps to replace the bland tiles.

In every way that JotL improved upon gloomhaven FFG have gone in the opposite direction, very expensive big box, with bland tiles, increased setup time due to 3d terrain and a required app.

I am looking forward to seeing the game in action, even for a few rounds. A little too much seems to be handled by the App - the description of combat seemed more like a videogame first hearing it than an app driven board game even - but I am willing (and should, I tell myself) to suspend my pre-conceptions and assumptions right now - there are hints that there may be some clever stuff here, in and outside the App. Right now, though, I would like to see more just as soon as they are able to get it up.

I am still discombobulated by the tile art - I take it the image they are showing is their center piece? I actually really like the Character art (and wish it would have carried over into the tiles even - it may not be everyone's cup of tea but it would be more consistent, and visually, well, something) though the graphic design holding everything together is a little bland - but a clean design can be good if there is a lot going on.

Art and story is a big thing for me, I hope the story will be a bit more mature - and by this I mean written for an audience that can handle complexity and deeper narrative and that, by the way, is pretty much everybody - it doesn't have to be a Saturday morning cartoon to be non-offensive. No story or character needs to be apologetic, or the trope - no matter how much I like those in Fantasy, or the 'power' versions of who they are. Well written characters and narratives are well written characters and narratives.

Price tag was a shocker. But it really shouldn't be for me, I've dropped a lot more all at once on other games - legacy and no. Sixteen missions, with some branching? How many did we get with Descent 2.0 boxes and other like games? I'll have to check and think on that. The way I am trying to think on it now is that this is the first really big price tag from *FFG* I've seen, and that's why it hit like it did. I'd hate to think how much I spent on my collection (complete) of 2.0.

Admittedly still getting over my assumptions and expectations and all of that. Again, like to see more. ;)

So far I like what I see. Considering what I've spent to own every single component for D2e, MoM and JiME, not to mention painting/basing supplies, the price tag is not an issue for me. I see so many "So this game is dead?" threads... I for one don't mind ponying up to support a new product.

It looks like LotD hero depictions allow for improved inclusion, giving this game greater appeal to a wide range of gamers and current non-gamers alike. I can imagine many people identifying on some level with the hero that they have chosen to play in LotD. The more people that we are able to get on board with a new game, hopefully the greater support it will have in the coming years. IDK... maybe I'm just seeing things that aren't there. Either way, I'm really looking forward to a new experience. 🙂

Edited by doubletapdaddy
1 hour ago, ringofox said:

this is not a "different" art style, its simply a "bad" artstyle, looks terrible, generic from the 90s without the retro charm... those lava, and water tiles.... still april fools day, someone wake up me please!

I hoped this was only beta art but as final product ... I'm so shocked !

And who is going to pay that much ?!?

Is there a tablet inside ? Or a GSM ?

2 hours ago, frankelee said:

Maybe they should have done a Kickstarter...

Well I hope the players of this game really enjoy it!

I hope not and this will force FFG to listen more to their players ans never do this stupid thing again

From the looks of it, I think they made a mistake to cancel the 2nd edition line. I know they are saying it is not a 3rd edition. If that is the case they should put out a second edition product soon before they lose their Descent fanbase. I hope they plan on reprinting the 2nd edition expansions. I liked the detailed miniatures in this new game but then I realized that the bases are not standard. Even the miniatures with the ground textures seem out of place.

That absurd price point (I know I know, the 'per min price is ok) is an insta-pass for me. Especially since all my 2ed stuff is dead to this line. Nope.

I can say I'm really satisfied now, aftre seeing some on the content. Everything can be rated from poor to horrible! I wasn't buying anything anyway, but now I'm relieved :)

I'm a bit heartbroken to be honest. I'm sure this game will have interesting mechanics and a great narrative due to the app integration, but the looks of it... This just isn't a Terrinoth setting game.

I'm aware that it was specifically not designed to be like other Terrinoth titles, but who thought this was a good idea?

the price point is really yikes, but otherwise its looks pretty good to me. however, for me to even consider getting it the game has to have a good class system, at least similar to second edition. if it doesnt, instant pass. if it does, i could definitely see myself getting this.

12 minutes ago, HisEpicness said:

the price point is really yikes, but otherwise its looks pretty good to me. however, for me to even consider getting it the game has to have a good class system, at least similar to second edition. if it doesnt, instant pass. if it does, i could definitely see myself getting this.

Then you can pass, this is nothing to be compared with

1 hour ago, HisEpicness said:

There is no class system. They specifically called this out in the stream