New Descent, we'll know more on the 22nd!

By Cotgrave, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

TY5oxSD.png

hyped-gif-3.gif

I confess, even contrary to all I know in this hobby:

I freakin' love the tailgate party. :)

Really curious about this edition. the dungeon crawler market has alot more entries these days and most of them are full co-op

Very excited.

Honestly, I really hope it still supports some form of overlord role like 1st and 2nd. I’m almost certainly buying it regardless, though.

Yeah, I have a bad feeling (based on image snooping people have done) that the new game will be fully co-op, but that's fine by me as I haven't played Overlord/non co-op in years. I have to admit, though, that I did appreciate taking off my Good Guy GM hat and putting on the "Yes, in fact, I am trying to kill you all" Overlord hat long ago, and giving the more tactical players 110%.

21 hours ago, kris40k said:

Yeah, I have a bad feeling (based on image snooping people have done) that the new game will be fully co-op, but that's fine by me as I haven't played Overlord/non co-op in years. I have to admit, though, that I did appreciate taking off my Good Guy GM hat and putting on the "Yes, in fact, I am trying to kill you all" Overlord hat long ago, and giving the more tactical players 110%.

It needs an overlord - like I said that box just begs menacing overlord words to be spoken from behind it :) or maybe that's just me in RPG GM mode

Plus why did I have to notice the LOTR anniversary edition, might get added to the wishlist even though I feel 'the legendary dark' is about to overshadow it

" Top secret and un expected announcement :) "

I think they might be acknowledging the Mysterium-level sleuthing ability of obsessives fans :) and the fact we totally weren't expecting this or predicting the timing or anything

Apparently on Facebook it had: "We kick things off on October 22 at 10:00 AM with a brand-new product announcement—and you probably couldn’t guess what this might be… You won’t want to miss this announcement as we sit down with the developers to go deep on this new product line!" so we might actually be getting a lot more than cardboard container (although I'm still in awe at how artistically epic said cardboard container was) (Facebook quote source: Board Game Geek)

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
FB

So it is more than one box. They talk about a product line now...

Yeah, I have to confess I'm really, really excited about this. But I'm not buying anything else related to descent.

1 hour ago, leewroy said:

Yeah, I have to confess I'm really, really excited about this. But I'm not buying anything else related to descent.

I completely understand this and where its coming from, having gone back and picked up almost all of 1e and all of 2e - which I love and will continue to love. The thing is I know myself pretty well, and unless it is TRULY not a game I am interested in, I might stay on the fence a bit but then end up jumping in later to haunt online stores and (shutter to think) ebay seeking for that one thing I missed.

I have fond memories of dignity and will power in this hobby, all dashed.. ;)

11 hours ago, Tintaglia said:

So it is more than one box. They talk about a product line now...

Well, the box was labeled "Act 1" which begets an "Act 2" box. Then you at least have a dice pack accessory; perhaps themed paint sets like they did for SW:Legion if those sold well enough for them to stick around longer in the paint business (they are just branded Army Painter sets).

And lets be real, it ain't FFG if there ain't expansions.

Are they teasing us with the expected bit- maybe there's still a surprise in there we're NOT expecting...

12 hours ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

Are they teasing us with the expected bit- maybe there's still a surprise in there we're NOT expecting...

sure ... the price 🥴

I’m guessing $150 at least, like Twilight Imperium 4e.

I wonder if instead of closing on a new house, I can convince the wife that we move the kids into the new Descent box.

Edited by kris40k
On 10/4/2020 at 4:31 PM, kris40k said:

I wonder if instead of closing on a new house, I can convince the wife that we move the kids into the new Descent box.

And we'll need all the acts- act 1 for the bedroom, act 2 for the lounge, maybe a few other games for extensions

Updates: 20.10.20 the trademark has today been published- three month window (along with second novel date of February 2, 2021) does still back up circa Feb 2021 release date

Quite a good article here on the pending announcement:

https://www.dicebreaker.com/series/descent-journeys-in-the-dark/news/descent-legends-of-the-dark-announcement

Novel two: https://aconytebooks.com/shop/the-shield-of-daqan-by-david-guymer/

First novel (out now digitally, printed t.b.c. at least for my locality): https://aconytebooks.com/shop/the-doom-of-fallowhearth-by-robbie-macniven/

Maybe each new product will have a novel tie-in? That would be quite awesome.

Hypeytrain we is at the station waiting :)

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
novel links

i didn't realize that Andira is wearing her hair long again. I know ...who cares :) ?

35 minutes ago, Tintaglia said:

i didn't realize that Andira is wearing her hair long again. I know ...who cares :) ?

and super epic shoulder pads :) - probably wise in Terrinoth

So, in the next few days, should we also see a new forum for the game?

It says 2 to 5 players!

So... is not full-coop... can be competitive! or if is coop, we can says theres overlord... maybe...

Also, it is NOT a third edition, is a totally new game... iam very excited!

54 minutes ago, ringofox said:

It says 2 to 5 players!

So... is not full-coop... can be competitive! or if is coop, we can says theres overlord... maybe...

Also, it is NOT a third edition, is a totally new game... iam very excited!

Where does it say that?

10 minutes ago, TurboCooler said:

Where does it say that?

right here:

But i realize that i misread

Sorry for that 🙂

Tomorrow we gonna know!

887D398F-B30D-47A8-A140-6155CA8A020A.jpeg

Edited by ringofox

The side of the box revealed during the livestream sure looks like it says “A co-op board game of dungeon delving adventure”, so I’m not getting my hopes up.

If the game replaces second edition the second edition forum will likely be moved (but left active- the first edition one's still live) and a new one set up for the new game at some point.

If it runs alongside second edition as a standalone game too (which is one theory out there, probably not the most likely) then they'll both have forums.

Re the 2-5 players where's the link actually from? Just links to the image- and that seems to be referencing second edition before the solo options were introduced as it says 'about.... second edition'

I still think the overlord is on the box art so surely in the game, especially as it's been Descent's USP? Maybe a new way of playing overlord? Co Op Play as baddies or heroes? Something else we've not even considered? We shall see.

Not been this hyped for a while....