The Mandalorian Season 2! [Spoilers]

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

4 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Wife's question/observation: "Why'd Din go to the trouble of shaving his mustache between last episode and this one?"

Answer: It is the way.

Next question.

14 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

I didn't mind the characters that started on this show (Greef, Dune, and Mayfield) because they felt like NPCs. OTOH, Bo Katan, Fett, Asoka, and Luke were definitely more in the light of GMPC in my eyes, with the negative baggage that carries (not that they didn't look pretty cool...). It's not that they were PCs from a previous campaign, it's that they were the GM's PCs from previous campaigns and we had to be shown how totally cool they were, even compared to Mando.

Luke at the end of S2 was the Post-RoTJ Luke we wanted for the PT.... somewhere along the Disney Universe plotline he becomes emasculated and turns into a near incompetant....shame really. Looking back I wish I'd listened more closely to a Mark Hamill's early interviews, he really did tell us Old School fans the real shiggles going on.

I'll still watch Mando until the end though...

16 minutes ago, ExpandingUniverse said:

Luke at the end of S2 was the Post-RoTJ Luke we wanted for the PT.... somewhere along the Disney Universe plotline he becomes emasculated and turns into a near incompetant....shame really. Looking back I wish I'd listened more closely to a Mark Hamill's early interviews, he really did tell us Old School fans the real shiggles going on.

Guess Yoda and Obi-Wan were also (checks notes) “emasculated and near incompetent” in the OT. /shrug

ETA: It’s fine if someone didn’t care for any particular movie(s), or the story choices made. That’s all personal taste, not inherently objective analysis of the content.

Edited by Nytwyng
17 minutes ago, ExpandingUniverse said:

emasculated

Wow... you’re insecurity is blinding me.

4 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

So the Dark Troopers can deploy from their bay.

Without rewatching, I think we saw this in the episode before. The Dark Troopers came out of the side of the Light Cruiser.

So it can make sense. There isn't an airlock to the outside of the ship. That would just slow down deployment by adding an extra door and leave less room in the Death Trooper barracks. Add some sort of safety mechanism that doesn't allow the outer door to open if there is a lifeform in there.

49 minutes ago, ExpandingUniverse said:

I'll still watch Mando until the end though...

Crucially, Lucasfilm is also adopting the full Marvel format by interlocking “The Book of Boba Fett,” “Ahsoka” and “Rangers of the New Republic” within the timeline established by “The Mandalorian.” All these series will be executive produced by Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni, the two figures at Lucasfilm who, even more than Kennedy, now come closest to holding the kind of overarching vision so famously employed by Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige. And they all will, in the stodgy language of Disney’s investors day announcement, “culminate in a climactic story event.” In other words, Lucasfilm is aiming for its own “Avengers.”

4 hours ago, 2P51 said:

In other words, Lucasfilm is aiming for its own “Avengers.”

Oh ... great... I can only hope Favreau and Filoni can hold their own on character vs spectacle.

Mace Windu is going to show up with an eye patch. Something... something... Jedi Initiative.

1 hour ago, RLogue177 said:

Mace Windu is going to show up with an eye patch. Something... something... Jedi Initiative.

Justice, Espionage & Diplomatic Initiative

2 hours ago, whafrog said:

Oh ... great... I can only hope Favreau and Filoni can hold their own on character vs spectacle.

I wouldn't bet on it. Season 2 shows that they are shooting for spectacle...but that might just be what most of the more casual viewers want.

1 hour ago, HappyDaze said:

I wouldn't bet on it. Season 2 shows that they are shooting for spectacle...but that might just be what most of the more casual viewers want.

Not trying to disagree with anyone's personal likes, but isn't Star Wars one big spectacle? Isn't that pretty much the modus operandi of the whole franchise?

Spectacle or intimate character driven story, what I'd like is places and situations not already covered. I'd like to see new places and problems. I really don't want to see anything about the beginnings of the New Republic or the remnants Imperials transformation to the 1st Order because I already know where that story goes.

9 hours ago, Sturn said:

Without rewatching, I think we saw this in the episode before. The Dark Troopers came out of the side of the Light Cruiser.

So it can make sense. There isn't an airlock to the outside of the ship. That would just slow down deployment by adding an extra door and leave less room in the Death Trooper barracks. Add some sort of safety mechanism that doesn't allow the outer door to open if there is a lifeform in there.

The Dark trooper bay is in an airlock, the inner door is the one Mando locked first.

4 hours ago, Eoen said:

The Dark trooper bay is in an airlock, the inner door is the one Mando locked first.

I agree.

I was trying to point out there isn't a second door to the outside of the ship from the robobarracks (creating an airlock), since it wouldn't be needed for the robots. It would just slow things down when they tried to deploy directly to space.

6 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

I thought Season 2 had a lot more character building in it than season 1.

And it's Star Wars: if you're not going for spectacle, then you're doing it wrong.

Edited by micheldebruyn
11 hours ago, RickInVA said:

Justice, Espionage & Diplomatic Initiative

"It means someone clearly wanted the name to spell J.E.D.I.

22 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

Ah, but the original Hebrew may have been flawed and the later (English) version was corrected through divine inspiration. Hey, if you can buy that divine inspiration gave the original, then why not the revision?

If you’re a person of faith (and I don’t know one way or another here), the Ten Commandments were quite literally written by the very hand of God directly. They weren’t given through a prophet. So, no, there is no error in the original source. It’s an error in the later translations.

24 minutes ago, Stethemessiah said:

"It means someone clearly wanted the name to spell J.E.D.I.

Given who said the original version of the line, I can only say:

SITH!!

4 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

If you’re a person of faith (and I don’t know one way or another here), the Ten Commandments were quite literally written by the very hand of God directly. They weren’t given through a prophet. So, no, there is no error in the original source. It’s an error in the later translations.

That is if you don’t consider the guy who was given the commandments a prophet of course.

Jon Favreau confirmed on Good Morning America this morning that The Book of Boba Fett is a separate show, that will premiere in December 2021, with Mandalorian season 3 premiering after, and that the Investor Day release date for season 3 was a misdirect. Just as they held back into on Grogu for season 1, they held back the Book of Boba Fett information to keep it a surprise.

Epw8LgNUUAIyYEV?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Nytwyng
1 hour ago, DanteRotterdam said:

That is if you don’t consider the guy who was given the commandments a prophet of course.

Not what I’m talking about. If you read Exodus , God didn’t impart his instructions to the Israelites through visions given to a prophet. He appeared directly to them in physical form: the form of the burning bush, a column of fire and smoke and spoke out directly to them. On the mountain, he literally wrote the Ten Commandments with his own hand on the two stone tablets. It isn’t until later that the Israelites asked that God use prophets to act as intermediaries out of fear. So, was Moses a prophet? Yes, but his role was much different than the later ones in that God appeared physically to him, not just in visions, and also appeared to the rest of Israel.

9 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Not what I’m talking about. If you read Exodus , God didn’t impart his instructions to the Israelites through visions given to a prophet. He appeared directly to them in physical form: the form of the burning bush, a column of fire and smoke and spoke out directly to them. On the mountain, he literally wrote the Ten Commandments with his own hand on the two stone tablets. It isn’t until later that the Israelites asked that God use prophets to act as intermediaries out of fear. So, was Moses a prophet? Yes, but his role was much different than the later ones in that God appeared physically to him, not just in visions, and also appeared to the rest of Israel.

So...if one reads the book (written by humans) whose accuracy is being questioned, it will tell you that the account is accurate?

Edited by Nytwyng

Was it just me, or did the Beskar spear seem a lot longer when Mando held it compared to when it was on his back?

17 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Was it just me, or did the Beskar spear seem a lot longer when Mando held it compared to when it was on his back?

Maybe. Probably just for ease of movement while on his back. A common practice in TV/film. For example, Tom Baker had scarves of several different lengths on Doctor Who , each used for different scene types. The longest was, as I recall, for fairly static scenes, a shorter for indoor scenes with walking, and the shortest for walking/running outdoors.

1 hour ago, Tramp Graphics said:

I am not sure how speaking to people and then speaking through prophets differs. Seeing how prophets are... well... people.