The Mandalorian Season 2! [Spoilers]

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Is there anything in canon that states that star systems don't move? I mean, really, trying to put real world reasoning into a show that allows sublight flights between "nearby" stars to be done in a few hours or days is really silly. So maybe the star systems just move as the plot (and the Force) requires. This means astrogation is part science and part prognostication (and astrogators are probably good gamblers)...which is why there's a Force-based spec about it already. Oh...and the Chiss do it that way too. And then in Star Wars the fools turned from living navigators to droids and computers because they are the anti-Dune, and...

I really shouldn't post after a night of insomnia...

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

They referred to it as part of the Outer Rim Sieges, eliciting this response from Jason Fry:

I couldn't find it, but I remember seeing a tweet from some sort of official person stating that yes, they moved it to the Outer Rim. Might be in the CW season 7 thread, but I'm not going to scroll through there looking for it.

The only sources I see on Wookieepedia for its location direct to a listing for Fort Anaxes that doesn't actually place it in the Core and to the Force Awakens Beginner Game, which we have already discussed.

The Ultimate Star Wars: New Edition, which was released before The Mandalorian season 1 and The Clone Wars season 7, says that Anaxes is in the Core. However, it also says that Jango Fett's armor is a "durasteel alloy" which is contradicted by the new episode of The Mandalorian. So is it right on the last bit? No, because it was contradicted by a more authoritative source. So it could easily have been contradicted elsewhere as well.

Because it is a reference book, it draws partially on Legends information. Because it is not an original source, it is not authoritative.

So now you go from "she wasn't paying attention" to "she was saying Gideon couldn't track them from the Outer Rim."
I don't buy either of those. I'm pretty sure a high-priced assassin has enough awareness to pay attention to where they are going. And if they were in the Deep Core, someone would likely have said "We aren't in the Outer Rim." Why would they just throw in an errant line with no attention paid to the confusion it would cause?
And if she was saying Gideon couldn't have tracked them, she'd say something like "Impossible. How did he find us? We came from the Outer Rim, the New Republic has jurisdiction there."

More likely, she was saying "What the heck is an Imperial cruiser doing where the Empire isn't?" because that's pretty much what she said.

There are a few ways that this discrepancy can be looked at. One is Fennic not really knowing their galactic location, another being them referring to them being followed from the outer rim. The logic for this is that Gideon has been operating consistently in the Outer Rim right under the Republic’s nose, and he did follow them to Tython, which, canonically, is still in the deep core. Dave Filoni would certainly know this.

Anaxes .

1 hour ago, HappyDaze said:

Is there anything in canon that states that star systems don't move? I mean, really, trying to put real world reasoning into a show that allows sublight flights between "nearby" stars to be done in a few hours or days is really silly. So maybe the star systems just move as the plot (and the Force) requires. This means astrogation is part science and part prognostication (and astrogators are probably good gamblers)...which is why there's a Force-based spec about it already. Oh...and the Chiss do it that way too. And then in Star Wars the fools turned from living navigators to droids and computers because they are the anti-Dune, and...

I really shouldn't post after a night of insomnia...

They don’t move around that much, and certainly not that quickly. Not even a rogue star could travel from the deep core to the counter rim, which is millions of light years away, within a few weeks, months, years, or even centuries or millennia. So, no, Tython couldn’t just jump from the Deep Core to the Outer Rim.

Edited by Tramp Graphics
16 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

They don’t move around that much, and certainly not that quickly. Not even a rogue star could travel from the deep core to the counter rim, which is millions of light years away, within a few weeks, months, years, or even centuries or millennia. So, no, Tython couldn’t just jump from the Deep Core to the Outer Rim.

You know this how? Is there a definitive source on how the astrophysics of Star Wars operate? If there is, how often is it ignored just for the needs of a story. Sorry, but Star Wars has abandoned almost all of its sci-fi trappings at this point and is almost entirely pure fantasy. The Force practically allows for faerie mushroom circles to transport people across space and time, and for all we know, that's how the rest of the galaxy works too.

Edited by HappyDaze
12 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

You know this how? Is there a definitive source on how the astrophysics of Star Wars operate? If there is, how often is it ignored just for the needs of a story. Sorry, but Star Wars has abandoned almost all of its sci-fi trappings at this point and is almost entirely pure fantasy. The Force practically allows for faerie mushroom circles to transport people across space and time, and for all we know, that's how the rest of the galaxy works too.

Very simple. If Star systems could regularly move around the galaxy that quickly, hyperspace navigation would be impossible. The very fact that we have set hyperspace lanes with the sectors, and systems within them clearly demarcated, and that these maps and coordinates have been in use within the GFFA of millennia shows that canonically, the systems don’t move around that drastically over the eons, nor would it be even physically possible. In order for a planet or star system to move from one part of the galaxy to a completely different one in a very short period of time, it would need to travel through hyperspace. The laws of physics themselves don’t allow it. And, contrary to popular belief, SW does still at least play lip service to the laws of physics. It doesn’t through the whole book out.

1 hour ago, Tramp Graphics said:

There are a few ways that this discrepancy can be looked at. One is Fennic not really knowing their galactic location, another being them referring to them being followed from the outer rim. The logic for this is that Gideon has been operating consistently in the Outer Rim right under the Republic’s nose, and he did follow them to Tython, which, canonically, is still in the deep core. Dave Filoni would certainly know this.

That's one way really, with a few presuppositions we cannot test or control for, so it remains speculation.

Sure, Fennic could be confused or not know where they are - for whatever reason. This is however unlikely - and is a poor explanation and sucks as a cop-out even by LFL-standards. It makes little sense. Also, we do not know if Tython is canonically (still) in the deep core, in fact this new data seems to indicate otherwise, ignoring new data by trying to explain it away this way is poor form. It'll be interesting to see if this is addressed in a visual guide or elsewhere. To see who much we've overthunk this :ph34r:

This has so many opaque, mixed and contradictory presuppositions based on what has been shown in the films and series by now, the conclusion fails to meet reason.

Very simple. If Star systems could regularly move around the galaxy that quickly, hyperspace navigation would be impossible. The very fact that we have set hyperspace lanes with the sectors, and systems within them clearly demarcated, and that these maps and coordinates have been in use within the GFFA of millennia shows that canonically, the systems don’t move around that drastically over the eons, nor would it be even physically possible. In order for a planet or star system to move from one part of the galaxy to a completely different one in a very short period of time, it would need to travel through hyperspace. The laws of physics themselves don’t allow it. And, contrary to popular belief, SW does still at least play lip service to the laws of physics. It doesn’t through the whole book out.

The first assertion seems reasonable, but considering the contradictory logic of the stories we know from Star Wars, it doesn't necessarily hold true within the logics of Star Wars. Any claims to how hyperspace travel "ackshewally" works is tenuous at the very best. The logic holds, only if the storytellers feels beholden to follow it (see for instance the explanation of how the Starkiller weapon works, to justify a cool visual cue for the heroes on Takodana in TFA).

Second assertion mistakenly attempts to use an argument to canon (a variant logical fallacy to of argument to authority), to justify an otherwise reasonable claim. It is however a fact that we do not know how much or if the series creators feels beholden to expanded universe location of planets. Having planets move around to fit the story seems a lot more plausible considering what and who we are dealing with here. Hyperspace travelling planets we have seen before, as well as wolves relocating through something similar. So it isn't implausible that Tython (provided it has the Force connection and importance as established in Legends still) could relocate through some means. Yet, since galactic cartography isn't a present theme in this series, I'm not sure we'll get a satisfying answer.

Also. Arguing to "laws of physics"? Really? In Star Wars? Huh. Any "laws" still respected are only respected if they holds dramatic and narrative value; when it comes to interstellar travel, this isn't necessary, but gravity applies for narrative value - for individual characters at least - and when it serves visuals. However, regardless, the role of hyperspace lanes and the moving of "special" planets is obviously plausible - perhaps even likely - in Star Wars. But we cannot know for certain where the planet is placed, canonically at least.

Edited by Jegergryte
55 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, not "it could happen, you don't know".

2 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, not "it could happen, you don't know".

I believe he is taking you for a ride and using sarcasm to great effect. I doubt anyone here is suggesting that, Canonically, Tython moved from the Deep Core to the Outer Rim. Any "move" would have been behind the scenes in nature, not an in-universe move.

12 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I believe he is taking you for a ride and using sarcasm to great effect.

Yes; you are correct, sir.

On 12/4/2020 at 8:33 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Or, like I've always argued, Almec was disowning him out of convenience, not out of any legitimate claim. Politicians lie. A lot.

Well, the big argument for the Fetts being non-Mandalorians was not that frelling Almec said it, but that Dave Filoni said it, claiming that it came straight from George Lucas.

And now they have changed it again into something that is more palatable to seemingly a majority of fans; such is the way of following infinitely ongoing franchises.

You know, after last week's episode I suggested not-really-seriously that Mace Windu might be the Jedi that gets summoned.

But after rewatching The Tragedy, I'm starting to wander if that's not what they're setting up.

Because now we have a Boba Fett who rather than the cool cucumber he's usually presented as, is a seething ball of hot-burning rage, and we get not one but two Jango name-drops in the episode. Putting this version of Fett in an episode where he has to work together with the man who killed his dad to rescue Grogu... That'd be tense.

3 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

Yes; you are correct, sir.

I really should have gotten that; in my defense though, this thread just had a very serious two page discussion about actor length.

1 hour ago, micheldebruyn said:

I really should have gotten that; in my defense though, this thread just had a very serious two page discussion about actor length.

Height, not length (and definitely not girth either).

4 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

Well, the big argument for the Fetts being non-Mandalorians was not that frelling Almec said it, but that Dave Filoni said it, claiming that it came straight from George Lucas.

And now they have changed it again into something that is more palatable to seemingly a majority of fans; such is the way of following infinitely ongoing franchises.

And they did it in a way that fits both what was said in clone wars and still lets him be mando. just not by creed or birth

Well I enjoyed that episode, although right through the battle sequence with the storm troopers I just kept feeling like I was watching an episode of Xena, the cinematography was just so similar 🤣

1 hour ago, Richardbuxton said:

Well I enjoyed that episode, although right through the battle sequence with the storm troopers I just kept feeling like I was watching an episode of Xena, the cinematography was just so similar 🤣

Boba: Warrior Princess

I’ll address the last part first. Star Wars doesn’t ignore the laws of physics unless it’s dramatically appropriate. Just the opposite. They only bend the laws of physics when it is thematically appropriate. And even then they provide some reason (be it some esoteric form of technology, or the Force, or some such) why it works in order to maintain suspension or disbelief. As for “hyperspace traveling planets, the only ones we know of from canon were the planets of the Correllian system, which were moved to their location by ancient technologies, and that was only in Legends, as far as we know.

No, the planets and systems of the galaxy don’t suddenly move halfway across the galaxy.

Apparently, it says in aurebesh on the ships navigation screen that the planet is in the deep core.

So... it's in the deep core.

EDIT: My take on Fennic's statement is more of a "but the republic controls everything, even the outer rim! how can they be back?" type of thing. Especially after the several lines across the show about how "not even the empire could control the outer rim" giving it some sort of "this is the final frontier" vibe. So if the republic controls even that, where could the empire be hiding?

Edited by OddballE8
24 minutes ago, OddballE8 said:

Apparently, it says in aurebesh on the ships navigation screen that the planet is in the deep core.

EDIT: My take on Fennic's statement is more of a "but the republic controls everything, even the outer rim! how can they be back?" type of thing. Especially after the several lines across the show about how "not even the empire could control the outer rim" giving it some sort of "this is the final frontier" vibe. So if the republic controls even that, where could the empire be hiding?

Yep. You can also see it in this video starting at the 1:28 mark.

It also reveals some interesting information about Jango when the Mando’a of Boba’s chain code is translated.

8 hours ago, OddballE8 said:

Cool. Then that's settled. :ph34r:

On to more pressing matters: A tusken raider named Torbill Danzin? 😂 Attempted kidnapping of a senator? I'd love to read/see that story!

On 11/28/2020 at 12:29 AM, Eoen said:

So you expect a series produced by Dave Filoni not to have anything to do with the previous series produced by Filoni? His job is world building.

I just love how so many Star Wars fans hate most Star Wars media. Why don't you just play Traveller if you want generic sci-fi? Introducing characters from other shows into the Manalorian might encourage fans of the Mandalorian to watch or read other Star Wars media. Viewership is kinda of a goal most media companies have.

Your entire response to my post is a prime example of “missing the point.” You obviously glossed over the context and, instead, got hurt because ... reasons, I guess.

Adored last week’s episode btw.

EDIT: Guess the word -b u t t- is censored on these boards... Interesting. Anyway it went before “hurt.” And please be aware this kind of typical slavish, fanboyish response - by the same group over and over and over again - is why I hardly post here anymore. Sigh. I mean, why have a discussion when you can dismiss “fake fans” and take pleasure in your righteous indignation... Unbelievable.

Edited by Harlock999

Que to Harlock getting angry at a reply from over a week ago... and calling others hurt without seeing the irony in that.

Well, I guess we won't be seeing Zero or hearing Ayoade's voice.

No more Jawa disintegrating fork rifle.

So sad about the Razor Crest.

I really hope they don't kill off Fett and give Mando Slave I.

14 minutes ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

I really hope they don't kill off Fett and give Mando Slave I.

I’ve heard that speculation tossed around.

Also speculation that they’ll bring Slave II into canon and give that to Mando.

I've reconsidered that Boba doesn't have to die for Slave 1 to be handed to Mando. Perhaps Boba rides off into the sunset, retires, and hands over Slave 1 to Mando?

In related news, I almost bought the Legos Razor Crest set earlier this month for my daughter. I should have. It's since greatly increased in price for some reason. :) I had seen it for as low as $130 a week ago. Now I'm seeing it for at minimum $300, even on retailer sites such as Walmart. C'mon, even big businesses are getting into scalping??

5 minutes ago, Sturn said:

I've reconsidered that Boba doesn't have to die for Slave 1 to be handed to Mando. Perhaps Boba rides off into the sunset, retires, and hands over Slave 1 to Mando?

In related news, I almost bought the Legos Razor Crest set earlier this month for my daughter. I should have. It's since greatly increased in price for some reason. :) I had seen it for as low as $130 a week ago. Now I'm seeing it for at minimum $300, even on retailer sites such as Walmart. C'mon, even big businesses are getting into scalping??

COVID has done a number on Lego's supply lines. They've been out of stock of pretty much everything I've looked for this year, and now that Christmas is coming up the Razor Crest is in high demand.

1 hour ago, Sturn said:

12tur70.jpg