The Mandalorian Season 2! [Spoilers]

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

My impression is that Gideon is trying to set himself up as Vader's heir. He wants force abilities for himself, the experimental procedure is trying to achieve that safely.

The black armoured figures in the tanks, I'm assuming are suits of Beskar armour.

10 hours ago, Dazgrim said:

The black armoured figures in the tanks, I'm assuming are suits of Beskar armour.

Whilst it could be, it seems unlikely to me given they paid the Mandalorian in that material.

3 minutes ago, Darzil said:

Whilst it could be, it seems unlikely to me given they paid the Mandalorian in that material.

They wouldn't be paying in beskar unles they had plenty to spare. Gideon was one of the guys plundering Mandalore after all.

1 minute ago, micheldebruyn said:

They wouldn't be paying in beskar unles they had plenty to spare. Gideon was one of the guys plundering Mandalore after all.

True, I guess that means they never did reengineer Sabine's weapon.

Found on the interwebs...

4014mj-1.jpg

Edited by micheldebruyn

Incidentally, seeing his early season 1 duds again... Am I the only one that feels he kinda looked better like this?

I hope he's going to give that shiny chrome suit a bit of personality and a paint job somewhere down the line.

20 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

Incidentally, seeing his early season 1 duds again... Am I the only one that feels he kinda looked better like this?

I hope he's going to give that shiny chrome suit a bit of personality and a paint job somewhere down the line.

He's going to Valhalla, shiny and chrome. Witness him!

Pretty sure we'll have some extended Din Djarin face time this season. They showed the child looking up under his mask while they drank water together... last season had the IG-11 scene when his mask was off. This season will likely have a longer scene if not a giving up of the old ways. That's my guess at least. It could even be against the Mando's will, like if he get's captured or something. Anyway, just a prediction.

4 hours ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

Pretty sure we'll have some extended Din Djarin face time this season. They showed the child looking up under his mask while they drank water together... last season had the IG-11 scene when his mask was off. This season will likely have a longer scene if not a giving up of the old ways. That's my guess at least. It could even be against the Mando's will, like if he get's captured or something. Anyway, just a prediction.

I'd rather not have extended face time. I like it with his helmet on.

As for the scene with Baby Yoda, I think that was just a nod to the matter of practicality, and it's worth noting that Baby Yoda wasn't actually looking up under his helmet, but instead looking at where his helmet was riding up on his face. It's a distinction, but it's important to clarify that he wasn't seeing Mando's face.

And if it's against his will, it throws his entire identity into disarray as then "you just can't put it back on again."

On 11/18/2020 at 6:57 AM, Dazgrim said:

Star Wars is very pro responsibility for children, see Baboo's elected 14 year old queen.

Add in that she (Bo-Katan) is of noble birth and her having a command rank at a young age is almost inevitable. From the Clone Wars I'd ball park her age as close to Anakin's.

Star Wars: Lord of the Flies

9 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I like it with his helmet on.

Oh, I do too. I'm just saying it's bound to come off soon. I just can't seem them keeping it up for so long. I guess only 4 episodes left this season so we'll find out soon enough. I'd be surprised if we didn't get a different Din though. It would probably help with toy sales too. "This one comes with a removable helmet, just like in chapter 15" or something.

That. Was. Awesome!

GROGU!

Thrawn! Live action Thrawn!

Also Ashoka and Grogu but still mostly Thrawn.

Well, that was certainly an episode.

That was a lot more Ahsoka than I was expecting, and it was glorious.

Insanely pedantic nitpick: going by her lekku, she's somehow gotten younger since Rebels.

1 hour ago, micheldebruyn said:

Insanely pedantic nitpick: going by her lekku, she's somehow gotten younger since Rebels.

I was thinking that too.

Edited by Dazgrim
Clarity

Tython! That was also a great canonisation and exciting mention!

Edited by Jegergryte
1 hour ago, micheldebruyn said:

Given that it made for less distractingly rigid lekku than we saw on season 1's Twi'leks...it doesn't bother me.

Who was she?

No before you spit your coffee out, I don't mean Tano, I mean the magistrate. Is this a new character or something I never learned about since I've read little new EU and only watched a few Clone Wars seasons?

So, Tano mentioned Grogu possibly summoning another Jedi on Tython while mentioning there are few Jedi left. Plus, Thrawn is mentioned. Against earlier statements, are we going to see Ezra since he was last seen with Thrawn? Perhaps an end-of-season reveal or mention, but no actual appearance making earlier statements technically true?

On 11/27/2020 at 3:40 PM, Sturn said:

Who was she?

No before you spit your coffee out, I don't mean Tano, I mean the magistrate. Is this a new character or something I never learned about since I've read little new EU and only watched a few Clone Wars seasons?

So, Tano mentioned Grogu possibly summoning another Jedi on Tython while mentioning there are few Jedi left. Plus, Thrawn is mentioned. Against earlier statements, are we going to see Ezra since he was last seen with Thrawn? Perhaps an end-of-season reveal or mention, but no actual appearance making earlier statements technically true?

I'm not sure who she was - but she's somehow linked to Thrawn ... which means that Tano knows that Thrawn is out and about...? This is some years into Tano and Sabine's search for Ezra, I think, and the series is mostly set in the outer rim, which makes sense all things considered, particularly the wild jump with the Purrgils, and Thrawns place of origin ... in the "chaos" ...

The magistrate could be linked to Thrawn's past? No imperials there, that I recognised, so this could be linked to the Thrawn pre-empire? In some way? And also that Thrawn may still have Ezra imprisoned? Or Ezra is dead? This may be linked to a different show though ... right? All the things that seems to be set up in this show can't possibly be covered in this one show ... retaking of Mandalore, finding Thrawn (and Ezra?), going to Tython for Grogu to (potentially) summon a master, and the cloning project of Dark Troopers, and the potential link to the clones of Snoke/Palps, setting up the First Order ... I mean, that would be ace... but ... yeah. I think they're setting up for different shows too (I hope at least).

I'm all giddy! :ph34r:

Edited by Jegergryte
16 minutes ago, Sturn said:

One of the theories/rumors circulating as far back as when Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka was first rumored is that this episode could serve as a backdoor pilot for the long-expected Rebels sequel series, doing it in live action as opposed to animation. Being theory/rumor/speculation, take it for what it's worth.

This is the way...

Grogu? Nice name. Still going to call him Baby Yoda. ;)

The scenery for this episode was awesome.

The animals were a nice touch.

This was just a really, really solid episode in general. The HK-series assassin droids, the gunslinger, etc. all very nice. And of course the Mando/Baby Yoda interactions.

I do have a few problems with it though, and they all have to do with Ahsoka. Most of my fears were realized, and one was resolved favorably (so far):

1. Looks: Ugh. Coulda been worse, but that's not the Ahsoka I know. And the headtails are too short.
  2. Voice: Ashley Eckstein's voice is the only one for me. That just didn't sound right.
  3. Lightsaber choreography: It wasn't great. Ahsoka is a character made for animation, and many of her moves reflect that. She was moving too slowly in many of the sequences for it to work well, and there were moves that look awesome in animation that a mere human (especially someone who is not an expert acrobat) can't really pull of and still have it look good.
  4. Effect on the series: If this is really just a one-and-done, I'm happy. I hope it stays that way. Animation Ahsoka is the one for me.

THRRAAAAWNNNN!!!
Here's hoping for an animated Rebels sequel.

I have spoken.

21 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

One of the theories/rumors circulating as far back as when Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka was first rumored is that this episode could serve as a backdoor pilot for the long-expected Rebels sequel series, doing it in live action as opposed to animation. Being theory/rumor/speculation, take it for what it's worth.

If you believe internet rumour, this was literally the third backdoor pilot this season.

3 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

If you believe internet rumour, this was literally the third backdoor pilot this season.

Which is why we should take that for what it's worth. ;)

6 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

1. Looks: Ugh. Coulda been worse, but that's not the Ahsoka I know. And the headtails are too short.
  2. Voice: Ashley Eckstein's voice is the only one for me. That just didn't sound right.
  3. Lightsaber choreography: It wasn't great. Ahsoka is a character made for animation, and many of her moves reflect that. She was moving too slowly in many of the sequences for it to work well, and there were moves that look awesome in animation that a mere human (especially someone who is not an expert acrobat) can't really pull of and still have it look good.

Counter-argument: how much, in terms of looks, voice, and lighsaber choreography (and lets just throw personality in there as well), is animated Anakin like live action Anakin?

You don't seem to have gone into this with expectations that were at all realistic.