The Mandalorian Season 2! [Spoilers]

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

This is... mostly the way.

The ferret-like creature at the beginning was quite amusing. It's revealed in the concept art that it was originally intended to breathe fire, which is hilarious.

Sad that the Mandalorian Armorer's forge was turned into a criminal dive. At least the Mythosaur skull hasn't been absconded with.

As for "No, the red one" the whole time I was thinking "You know, most parents joke about how it's a full-time job to keep their youngsters from electrocuting themselves. This seems ill-advised." I was still laughing. :D
A sound that always worries the ground crew... <_<

Cara is awesome, as always, and Grampa Greef is quite entertaining.

The school was interesting, and Baby Yoda is a rascal as always.

The moment I heard of the Imperial base, I went "Okay, yes, further proof that this whole campaign is an RPG."

As for the base itself, nice. It's pretty good not a whole lot going on in the interior, except...

Well, this is where we get to the reason why it's only mostly the way. I don't like the Palpatine clones, never have, never will. I hated it in Legends just as I do in Canon. And it seems that now my second favorite Star Wars show has been hijacked by them. This is part of why I wanted it to be completely disconnected from other characters and stories.
(Considering they were talking about blood from Baby Yoda and what I presume to be midichlorian counts, I think it's a pretty safe guess.)

Baby Yoda throwing up was hilarious, of course, and quite appropriate.

The ITT was awesome, of course, and the live action Arquitens made me very happy indeed. So... pretty ...

All in all, quite enjoyable aside from the Palpy clones.

I have spoken.

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt
1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I don't like the Palpatine clones...

I'm thinking he's trying to make Force-sensitive super-soldiers in beskar armour, not Palpatine clones. Whatever he's up to, it's not going to be something that ultimately doesn't matter for this show.

Edited by micheldebruyn
1 minute ago, micheldebruyn said:

I'm thinking he's trying to make Force-sensitive super-soldiers in beskar armour, not Palpatine clones. Whatever he's up to, it's not going to be something that ultimately doesn't matter for this show.

I hope you're right, but I'm not so sure.

32 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

Yeah, they didn’t look like Palpatine clones to me. I’d think that, just for the exposition needs, one of them would have said something like, “Isn’t that...the Emperor,” to clarify a point like that.

Just seems to me that he’s trying to create a Force sensitive army. And maybe this plot is a spin on the Dark Trooper project, given the end shot?

3 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Yeah, they didn’t look like Palpatine clones to me. I’d think that, just for the exposition needs, one of them would have said something like, “Isn’t that...the Emperor,” to clarify a point like that.

Just seems to me that he’s trying to create a Force sensitive army. And maybe this plot is a spin on the Dark Trooper project, given the end shot?

For the record, there's a terrible glare on my screen in the morning, so I simply put together cloning + Baby Yoda blood = Emperor Palpatine. I couldn't really see the clones.

When I rewatch it tonight, I very well may just go "Oh, phew. That's a relief."

However, I think there's a decent chance it's at least somehow connected (not that I want it to be).

11 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

For the record, there's a terrible glare on my screen in the morning, so I simply put together cloning + Baby Yoda blood = Emperor Palpatine. I couldn't really see the clones.

For what it’s worth, light was streaming through the window washing some of my picture out, so who knows. 😁

It's all about the Snoke ... and these new warriors are like the Dark Troopers, just cloned with baby-yoda-m-count-additives... serving as a test-run of the Snokes to come ... :ph34r:

Okay, I have rewatched it minus the glare, and I have a few things to add.

Cara Dune is awesome. I know I already said it, but I'm not missing my opportunity to say it again. :D

About that Mythosaur skull... Yeah, I thought it was still there. Turns out, all I saw was its imprint and the glare. It's gone. I hope the right people have it...

Clones? No idea. Might be Snokes, might be Palpies, might be super soldiers. I hope it's the latter and definitely hope it isn't one of the former.

Not an ITT, it's a "Trexler Marauder" and why in HARAN does it not have a windshield? WHY? The first part was new because I couldn't see through the glare, the second is just something I forgot to mention earlier. Because I thought the vehicle was an ITT, I presumed it was that the windshield had been blown out. But since it isn't, I guess it just doesn't have a windshield. Yikes.

And finally, the droid/exoskeleton/armor on the Arquitens... The glare was so bad I thought they were more clones. :P
Very cool, I'm eagerly anticipating getting a better look at them.

Cara Dune is awesome, I have spoken.

35 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

And finally, the droid/exoskeleton/armor on the Arquitens... The glare was so bad I thought they were more clones. :P
Very cool, I'm eagerly anticipating getting a better look at them.

If you turn on audio-description, it calls them Dark Troopers. They may or may not be clones in addition to that, but they'r not snokes or Sheevs.

1 minute ago, micheldebruyn said:

If you turn on audio-description, it calls them Dark Troopers. They may or may not be clones in addition to that, but they'r not snokes or Sheevs.

I thought they were cloning vats the glare was so bad. :D

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I thought they were cloning vats the glare was so bad. :D

What glare?

3 minutes ago, Eoen said:

What glare?

On my screen.

For those interested, the audio description says:

"(Gideon) turns toward a shadowy cubicle where light gleams off a hint of shiny black armor resembling his own. Rows of similar compartments sprawl throughout the bay, with an engineer in white coveralls tending to immobilized Dark Troopers contained within."

Barrels of Snokes.

11 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Filoni rarely does that kind of exposition (don't know about Favreau, I can only judge from TCW and Rebels). Not only would that be kind of crass, if these people barely knew about the Jedi, I doubt they'd ever have seen the Emperor. Plus a clone of Palpy isn't going to start off old and wrinkled and Force-burned, which is about the only way he'd be known. Plus...the whole foundation of the story so far is that these characters really have no idea of the bigger picture, it would be weird if they suddenly clued in. In any case, I really love their pacing of information.

Anyway, what a treat! Great from beginning to end. Great action scenes, humour, banter. The speeders "skiing" down the cliff, wiping out, barely making it...all really fantastic and seamless. Again, love the small touches, like the fish dude expelling a mist when Mando walks in. I for one was never bothered by "midichlorians", so the mild reference to "m-count" was welcome to me.

I noticed this one was directed by Carl Weathers, he did a bang up job.

I was/am bothered by the very concept of midichlorians, especially the way Lucas used it/was planning to use it in his sequel trilogy.

Having a Jedi Master scan Anakin with some kind of Star Trek tricorder and spouting some technobabble just feels wrong. On the other hand, having an Imperial scientist just casually drop a reference to midichlorians seems more natural.

5 hours ago, Eoen said:

Barrels of Snokes.

I haven't read enough (any) new EU to answer this. But could Snoke and the failed clone experiments be just early steps in correctly cloning Sidious? So in Mando we see the rising First Order using midichlorians and cloning trying to clone Sidious, but they fail over and over, resulting in the first viable (living) clone to be Snoke? Later, they get it right and we see a reformed Sidious in Ep IX?

19 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

The moment I heard of the Imperial base, I went "Okay, yes, further proof that this whole campaign is an RPG."

Well, almost. If it was an RPG campaign the players would have forgotten about whatever mission they were on to try to pick up as much hardware as they could. I couldn't help but start counting...that's an ITTish armored speeder, 6 speeder bikes, 6 TIEs....

Great story so far.

The differences between Mandalorians were not really a surprise, but work and make sense. Wonder then we will see them again.

But i find it funny, that the baby eating the eggs is making waves such as it is. I mean the Ewoks in Return would have put the heroes on the grill if they did not manage to save themselves. I always wondered what happened to imperial prisoners on Endor ☠️ . Avoiding the meat on the victory party would have been a sensible precaution.

Edited by lowfyr01
On 11/18/2020 at 8:18 AM, micheldebruyn said:

I reckon he's going to make some detours to get his ship fixed up properly first.

Geez, good call.

MORE ZUVIO! I guess you could say it was just another Kyuzo, but I choose to believe it was our favorite constable, looking for work on Nevarro, only to find out they already had a Marshal, who, by the way was awesome. People gettin' all upset about her tweets need to get a life. Cancel culture.

Loved the Aqualish guys.

Yeah, I saw that weasel thing was breathing fire in the artwork too.

I did feel like the storm troopers were a tad too weak in this episode. I was hope the Mythrol would cop it, or some one would at least get wounded.

Not sure what the clone things were but wouldn't have to be Palpatine. I personally wouldn't mind either way.

Was the informant Ocho of Bestoon? Probably just the same species. They looked pretty similar though.

Loved the speeder bikes. And the tank thing. I thought I huge wave of lava would be racing after them at one point but it didn't happen.

Yeah, the red and blue wire things really was pretty funny.

Nevarro really got cleaned up! Very different feel.

I'll probably think of more later. Good episode though.

Edited by Mandalore of the Rings
Missed something

I think we might be focusing a bit too much on clones and cloning. I think it's more connected to Gideon. He's trying to make himself force sensitive and Dr Perishing is trying to figure out how make that happen via a blood transfusion, with unfortunate side effects for the recipient.

Just now, Darth Revenant said:

I think we might be focusing a bit too much on clones and cloning. I think it's more connected to Gideon. He's trying to make himself force sensitive and Dr Perishing is trying to figure out how make that happen via a blood transfusion, with unfortunate side effects for the recipient.

Dr. "Perishing"? :D

1 minute ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Dr. "Perishing"? :D

Autocorrect striking again, I was spelling out Pershing. But the other one fits quite nicely in Star Wars naming conventions and the image of the Empire.

Also, did you see they erected a statue to IG-11?! Love it.

You can see it a couple times after 8:20

Zuvio is just after 8:05 in the bottom left.

Fun details.

Best consecutive episodes of the show so far by the way. Meaning I wasn’t expecting such a great episode after last weeks bullseye, (especially seeing how awful I found the second episode of this season to be). I guess I just really like the way the empire is portrayed in this series.

Also Carl Weathers is a good director! But he definitely did not get the best out of Gina Carano.

I think the windshield of the Marauder got blown up when he land on the landspeeder, but not sure even with pause, it's too fast to really see.