The Mandalorian Season 2! [Spoilers]

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Just now, micheldebruyn said:

The bigger clue that Mando's tribe were Deathwatch is that the big guy with the minigun was called Paz Viszla.

There are Vizslas all over the place, in multiple factions. However, it's even less relevant because Paz Vizla isn't a Vizsla, he's a Vizla. Like Shae Vizla, not Pre Vizsla.

20 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

There are Vizslas all over the place, in multiple factions. However, it's even less relevant because Paz Vizla isn't a Vizsla, he's a Vizla. Like Shae Vizla, not Pre Vizsla.

It's Paz Vizsla now. It used to be Paz Vizla, but that turned out to have been a typo, and it has actually been corrected in the credits of the episode he was in on Disney+.

Shae Vizla isn't canon, so her name doesn't matter here. And if she were canon, she'd be from a time period thousands of years before Death Watch even existed, so her name still wouldn't matter.

1 minute ago, micheldebruyn said:

It's Paz Vizsla now. It used to be Paz Vizla, but that turned out to have been a typo, and it has actually been corrected in the credits of the episode he was in on Disney+.

Okay, but it still doesn't mean anything since Vizsla was such a large clan and we know there were, at least, both New Mandalorian and Death Watch Vizslas in Canon.

3 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

Shae Vizla isn't canon, so her name doesn't matter here. And if she were canon, she'd be from a time period thousands of years before Death Watch even existed, so her name still wouldn't matter.

Though if the typo was actually correct, then it would matter since it would canonize that clan name, even if not all the details or characters, and if she were canon, her temporal location thousands of years before Death Watch wouldn't make her name not matter. I was not stating that because his name is X, he can't be Death Watch, but merely his name is X, not Y, and you were saying Y meant he was Death Watch (which is still in error). The use of Shae Vizla's name was only for comparing spelling.

Hello, Am I the only one worried about the episode lenght going shorter and shorter ?

First episode of season 2 was around 1 hour, the second was around 40 minutes and this one was ... 31 minutes ...

I feel a bit sad

Those mando-commandos! AAAAH!

1 hour ago, Rosco74 said:

Hello, Am I the only one worried about the episode lenght going shorter and shorter ?

First episode of season 2 was around 1 hour, the second was around 40 minutes and this one was ... 31 minutes ...

I feel a bit sad

Season 1’s episodes ranged from 31 minutes to 48, with the remaining 6 run times somewhere in between. So, no, I’m not worried.

Bryce knocking it out of the park again...

2 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

Bryce knocking it out of the park again...

Yep, I like her style.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it's so great they modelled Bo in TCW on real-life Katee, it's just seamless now the way they talk and even move. Though RL Katee has more presence...

Again I have to love all the details. Everything has mass and grime and carries the weight of the world. The Razorcrest being hauled out of the water and unceremoniously dumped on the platform, with the water sloshing around the engines...it all looks fantastic, nothing you can really point to that says "CGI". I like too that *these* Mon Cala obviously have a different attitude and aesthetic than their E6 counterparts. Mando's comment at the end seems to indicate that's been the norm in his experience, I like the twist.

It's kind of a perfect EotE story too, with money tight and everything falling apart.

7 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

It should also be noted that family name spellings often change over time.

11 hours ago, Rosco74 said:

I feel a bit sad

This is a function of filming for a streaming service rather than for terrestrial TV. They do not have to fit episodes into a timeslot, usually done by trimming episodes or padding them with filler [the best example I can give is the old Thunderbirds supermarionation, where they would show as much of the launch sequence as necessary to make the episode fit].

14 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Okay, but it still doesn't mean anything since Vizsla was such a large clan and we know there were, at least, both New Mandalorian and Death Watch Vizslas in Canon.

If Paz was just a random Vizsla, unconncted to Pre Vizsla, they would not have bothered to correct the name, because it would not matter if he was called Vizsla, Vizla, Viszla, or Jones.

You only make the correction if the error caused your intended meaning of the name Vizsla to become ambiguous.

Wow. I really enjoyed that one. Bit longer would have been nice but yeah, great chapter.

Yeah, "Children of the Watch". Has to be related to Deathwatch, since he was saved by them as a child What did they call them in S1? Foundlings? Seems like some offshoot of Deathwatch that filled their ranks with orphans of whatever and brainwashed them somewhat into a sort of cult of Mandalore. Maybe it all still fits in with the time line because they were just kept in a different part of the universe, in their "covens" or whatever. They had been told that Mandalore was a "cursed planet" to keep them from the truth, that they aren't really orthodox and the rest of the Mandalorians don't follow the same rules. That's my guess. At some point I think our Mando will adopt a more standard Mandalorian stance and take his helmet off more.

Yup, the walker was cool.

The baby tadpole thing was delightfully fake looking. It didn't bother me much, just looked like a piece of plastic in a bowl. Not the best effects there!

The whole "you killed my brother, prepare to die (or at least your pet)", "No, I killed your brother" scene was so cool.

Yup, "you changed the terms of the deal" or whatever he said was cool too.

Wasn't that Cikatro Vizago's type of ship? Or Asmorigan? Very cool looking ship.

Electrocuting molars were pretty cool.

Now we have seen the big bad in a hologram form telling an underling what to do... This has to happen with all Star Wars villains.

No idea what those blasters were. Mando running down the hall and getting blasted was great too.

Another "Aliens" like image with the facehugger thing on the child. Also, my kids freaked out when that other thing was climbing down to the Child at the end of the episode. I liked the effect of showing it's vision through compound eyes.

Great chapter.

18 minutes ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

in their "covens" or whatever

Wasn't that Cikatro Vizago's type of ship? Or Asmorigan? Very cool looking ship.

No idea what those blasters were. Mando running down the hall and getting blasted was great too.

"Coverts."
I think it's just another faction of Mandalorians, like how in Legends you have the Death Watch, the New Mandalorians, and the True Mandalorians.

Not exactly. Its an Imperial Gozanti, which is different than the C-ROC Gozanti used by Vizago. But they are similar.

The blasters were the ones used by Sandtroopers in Rogue One.

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt
43 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Not exactly. Its an Imperial Gozanti, which is different than the C-ROC Gozanti used by Vizago. But they are similar.

It differs from the typical Imperial Gozanti in some cosmetic and functional ways such as having two dorsal turrets (rather than one), moving the ventral turret forward, and not having the ventral sensor array or fighter clamps.

Just now, HappyDaze said:

It differs from the typical Imperial Gozanti in some cosmetic and functional ways such as having two dorsal turrets (rather than one), moving the ventral turret forward, and not having the ventral sensor array or fighter clamps.

Correct, I would say it's just a subtype though. The hull is the same.

1 hour ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

I liked the effect of showing it's vision through compound eyes.

That was a great add, very freaky, ramps up the tension, but also the shift in perspective just adds that much more to the world-building...or is an homage to "a certain point of view"...

7 hours ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

Yeah, "Children of the Watch".................Maybe it all still fits in with the time line because they were just kept in a different part of the universe.......keep them from the truth, that they aren't really orthodox and the rest of the Mandalorians don't follow the same rules.......At some point I think our Mando will adopt a more standard Mandalorian stance and take his helmet off more.

I agree I think Children of the Watch are related to Death Watch in some way, but still a different thing. Both seem to hold to older traditions, even if different ones in different ways (the Children keep their helmets on, the Death Watch don't). "Children" seems to relate to the orphan upbringing slant. I'm curious if Children of the Watch splintered from Death Watch, or perhaps it's actually older, and Death Watch is the newer sect. They share only, "Watch", which means both could also be connected to some older sect, such as just "the Watch".

Flashback to the very first episode of season 1. Mando's first bounty said something during small talk like, "Is it true you guys never take your helmets off?" I doubt that guy knew the difference...that Mando was a Child of the Watch who still kept to the old ways. So, it seems he would have been commenting on Madalorians in general, not Mando's specific sect. But, everything else in canon has Mandalorians commonly taking their helmets off ( Clone Wars, Rebels ). I think it can be explained away that most peeps still think of old stereotypes since Mandalorians share little with outsiders. Outsiders still think they don't take their helmets off, when that is actually an ancient tradition not followed by "modern" Mandalorians anymore.

I think "This is the Way", can also obviously be relegated to an ancient tradition. Clone Wars or Rebels Mandalorians weren't constantly saying it. But, Bo Katan did recognize the saying. She says it very sarcastically, which fits in with it being an archaic tradition she's making fun of when she turns it against Mando. She was part of Death Watch at one time. It's not a phrase they held in reverence. So, Children of the Watch seems to be following the old ways much more then them.

We don’t know if the Children of the Watch have any connection to Death Watch. All we know is that the Mandalorian that rescued Din Djarin as a child was a member of Clan Viszla. That Shriekhawk emblem is House Viszla’s crest, after all. Death Watch may have adopted it as well since many of its members are House Viszla, but that doesn’t mean that all members of House Viszla were members of Death Watch.

12 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

We don’t know if the Children of the Watch have any connection to Death Watch.

My post began with "I think" in the first sentence. Yes, it's my speculation.

12 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

That Shriekhawk emblem is House Viszla’s crest, after all. Death Watch may have adopted it as well since many of its members are House Viszla, but that doesn’t mean that all members of House Viszla were members of Death Watch.

I didn't say everyone in House Viszla was. I said Bo Katan, "was part of Death Watch at one time". She was.

52 minutes ago, Sturn said:

My post began with "I think" in the first sentence. Yes, it's my speculation.

I didn't say everyone in House Viszla was. I said Bo Katan, "was part of Death Watch at one time". She was.

At least the “ackshewally” didn’t come with the normal random “emphasis.”

Take the win. 🤣

7 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

We don’t know if the Children of the Watch have any connection to Death Watch. All we know is that the Mandalorian that rescued Din Djarin as a child was a member of Clan Viszla. That Shriekhawk emblem is House Viszla’s crest, after all. Death Watch may have adopted it as well since many of its members are House Viszla, but that doesn’t mean that all members of House Viszla were members of Death Watch.

The group that saved Din was definitely Death Watch. Aside from the Death Watch sigil being the ancient sigil of Clan Vizsla (per The Star Wars Book, it had already fallen out of use within the clan by TCW since their peacetime branch sigil from Rebels predates the Death Watch coup), the Hot Toys figure of the guy that saved Din is straight-up called a Death Watch Mandalorian, while the product description further confirms that the entire group was Death Watch.

I have enjoyed Mando so far and i've skimmed through all the previous comments.... personally, I'm taking the Disney SW Universe as a parallel universe... the first thing that got me thinking was the 'banning' of removing helmets... I even went through old d6/d20 supplements to find a reference, read a pdf of the Mando edition on Star Wars Gamer online and then of course Sabine always showed her face in Rebels :)

Disney own it now.. 30+ years of canon/lore slated or on back burner...even 'Bobo Fett' turning up at the end was a 'meh' moment for me... in my universe he was definitely eaten by the Sarlacc... sorry Fettphiles.. but he's dead to me :D

1 hour ago, DidntFallAsleep66 said:

I have enjoyed Mando so far and i've skimmed through all the previous comments.... personally, I'm taking the Disney SW Universe as a parallel universe... the first thing that got me thinking was the 'banning' of removing helmets... I even went through old d6/d20 supplements to find a reference, read a pdf of the Mando edition on Star Wars Gamer online and then of course Sabine always showed her face in Rebels :)

Disney own it now.. 30+ years of canon/lore slated or on back burner...even 'Bobo Fett' turning up at the end was a 'meh' moment for me... in my universe he was definitely eaten by the Sarlacc... sorry Fettphiles.. but he's dead to me :D

Fett survived in the EU too. Lucas is quoted in a number of places having planned to have him shown staggering out, but not really having any further use for the character in that film the idea was dropped.

Forgot to mention this. What is the deal with all the sweaters and scarves and fishing caps and overalls?! I get that this is a fishing town but do they have to all dress like Norwegian fishermen or something? :) I mean, it's kind of fun I guess. But maybe a bit too much parallel with our world's fishing stereotypical fishing culture. I was waiting for a quarren with an eye patch or a peg leg mon cala hobbling a long, playing an old ditty on his concertina...

Also getting very strong Davy Jones vibes.

Also, what else are we looking forward to:

Boba Fett? Whoever the bald clone was?

Greef Carga with his new facial hair.

Cara Dune wailing away with her blaster (what's it called again?)

Ahsoka Tano!!

Moff Gideon wielding the dark saber?

The Armorer ?

More Cobb Vanth?

Sabine?

Ezra?

Rex?

We've actually seen a lot of the stuff in the previews already, but there should still be some troopers on speeder bikes.

We still have 5 left right! This is enjoyable.