Spoilers for Celestial Realms: The schools

By Myrion, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

3 hours ago, sndwurks said:

As a note, nothing in the rules stops you from being a Kaito Spirit Seeker who fills themselves up with Kansen, and then EXPLODES like when they shut off the containment center during Ghostbusters.

Not quite true, the school Mastery ability is being able to hold two spirits in your body...so until you reach mastery, you're limited to just one. Granted, a single kansen loose in the capital could cause some mayhem, but I don't think it would be full “Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!” trouble like in Ghostbusters.

...well okay, maybe the human sacrifice part, it is a kansen after all.

2 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Not quite true, the school Mastery ability is being able to hold two spirits in your body...so until you reach mastery, you're limited to just one. Granted, a single kansen loose in the capital could cause some mayhem, but I don't think it would be full “Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!” trouble like in Ghostbusters.

Maybe Kansen stack better than normal spirits...

41 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

You just need a BIG enough spirit.

Like an Oni Lord.

Any word on what the new advantages/disadvantages are? Those are always my favorite parts of new books.

Just got my copy today. I probably will comment more during the upcoming days. But at first glance is a gorgeous book! Amaterasu’s illustration let me speechless, simply wow! Waiting for the screensaver of her, hint, hint.

Now I can say I understand why the Ishiken was described as weird, and I’ll will just say I’ve never been more hyped to play one. 😎

3 hours ago, FelixFenix said:

Just got my copy today. I probably will comment more during the upcoming days. But at first glance is a gorgeous book! Amaterasu’s illustration let me speechless, simply wow! Waiting for the screensaver of her, hint, hint.

Now I can say I understand why the Ishiken was described as weird, and I’ll will just say I’ve never been more hyped to play one. 😎

I do want to do a Dragon that has worked out the ancestral blade koan

Im a little disappointed no jade magistrate title. Missed opportunity. Would have been good gm support

Jade Magistrates are defunct in the current timeline, doesn't make any sense. Perhaps if we get some more historical detail OR they get reestablished in the storyline.

22 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Jade Magistrates are defunct in the current timeline, doesn't make any sense. Perhaps if we get some more historical detail OR they get reestablished in the storyline.

That is assuming people are playing the current era. Which may or may not be true. Or maybe in the gms game they are brought back because the elemental council Fd up.

This would have been a very good place to cover them.

I just noticed that in page 75 under Paths of the Centipede it says: “Sun Sentinels deal primarily in Fire and Air invocations.”

However, neither the School Ability or Curriculum allow access to Air invocations.

Here's the most important thing about Inversions: There's a sidebar pointing out that outside of Phoenix lands, there may be severe social consequences to casually creating rifts in reality.

Edited by Lindhrive

Yep, just remember that the key is “if the Ishiken cannot adequately explain themselves”.

So, it looks like my FLGS is just not going to get Celestial Realms. Can I ask a favour of someone(s) who does have access to the book? Can you tell me who shows up as NPCs in it?

On 9/3/2020 at 7:07 PM, Lindhrive said:

Here's the most important thing about Inversions: There's a sidebar pointing out that outside of Phoenix lands, there may be severe social consequences to casually creating rifts in reality.

This is now my image of what it's like for anyone else visiting the Phoenix Clan
PleasingDeepBlueandgoldmackaw-size_restr

So, I'm not sure what to do with the Shadowweaver school. They're super cool and awesome, but, I need WAY more lore to place what they are and what they do and how the clan relates to them. They don't have an elemental theme and don't even get to know theology... do they treat their magic even less priestly than the Soshi? They train to help with creating confusion, distractions and cover... but... the other school is literally a school of illusionists who do so without people noticing they're casting so I have SEVERAL questions about what that means. I'm going to need a lot more than "sister school" to figure out what they are.

I know it's "too many cool things in one place" but maaan, I wish we could trade with the Moth Clan for their dream magic. I wanna do Inception style brain heists.

On 9/11/2020 at 12:06 AM, Kitsuiko said:

This is now my image of what it's like for anyone else visiting the Phoenix Clan
PleasingDeepBlueandgoldmackaw-size_restr

So, I'm not sure what to do with the Shadowweaver school. They're super cool and awesome, but, I need WAY more lore to place what they are and what they do and how the clan relates to them. They don't have an elemental theme and don't even get to know theology... do they treat their magic even less priestly than the Soshi? They train to help with creating confusion, distractions and cover... but... the other school is literally a school of illusionists who do so without people noticing they're casting so I have SEVERAL questions about what that means. I'm going to need a lot more than "sister school" to figure out what they are.

I know it's "too many cool things in one place" but maaan, I wish we could trade with the Moth Clan for their dream magic. I wanna do Inception style brain heists.

Still waiting for the book in the EU, but based on the old lore- the Shadowweavers are still priestly shugenja BUT they use 'shadow' to hide and manipulate their invocations- and, as was eventually revealed, the shadow is an expression of Nothing- the leftover bit that wasn't named at the beginning of time- an insidious entity that wants to make everything into one, homogenous, unnamed mass- but they don't know that and are giving it strength for 1000 years from the First Day of Thunder.

On 9/4/2020 at 12:07 AM, Lindhrive said:

Reminds me of the Conflagration of Doom spell back in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

"As this is such a violent and powerful conjuration, all Wizards within a 5-mile radius are aware of the disturbance in the Aether this spell causes. Bright Order Battle Wizards will often seek out those using this spell in a careless way, to talk about demarcation in a pointed fashion."

9 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Reminds me of the Conflagration of Doom spell back in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

"As this is such a violent and powerful conjuration, all Wizards within a 5-mile radius are aware of the disturbance in the Aether this spell causes. Bright Order Battle Wizards will often seek out those using this spell in a careless way, to talk about demarcation in a pointed fashion."

I think they had something like that for every "ultimate" spell in 2E WFRP . Then again, considering how magic works in WFRP and that many pinnacle spells require a lot of power drawn, there was a good reason for that.

Sure, shugenja in Rokugan are far more respected and basically talk to the gods and spirits, but there are some things that you don't do lightly.