Spoilers for Celestial Realms: The schools

By Myrion, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

57 minutes ago, sndwurks said:

I'll be picking up my copy on Friday, so I'll be adding these to the Master List when I get my hands on it.

Thanks for the information!

I have added page numbers if that helps

Edited by Daeglan
1 hour ago, FelixFenix said:

Is possible to know how does the Centipede acquires their invocations? Through their curriculum or their School ability?

Also what’s your take on the inversions?

through Curriculam

14 hours ago, FelixFenix said:

Is possible to know how does the Centipede acquires their invocations? Through their curriculum or their School ability?

Also what’s your take on the inversions?

Inversions are weird...

10 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Inversions are weird...

Thanks!

I was really looking forward to play Ishiken, but now... I’m having a bad feeling about this...

😰

I’m crossing my fingers they release the pdf copy soon so I can take a look of the Schools.

If it takes as long as it did for Path of Waves, expect late November.

3 hours ago, FelixFenix said:

Thanks!

I was really looking forward to play Ishiken, but now... I’m having a bad feeling about this...

😰

I’m crossing my fingers they release the pdf copy soon so I can take a look of the Schools.

What's the worry? Weird is exactly what I would expect from tehcniques that 99% of Shugenja can't understand.

2 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

What's the worry? Weird is exactly what I would expect from tehcniques that 99% of Shugenja can't understand.

I guess you have a point there. Maybe it was just that the word weird caught me off guard at the moment when I read it.

Regardless, I will look forward to play one.

Alas, the Asmodee UK distribution sheets hasn't even mentioned Celestial Realms yet, even though Wheel of Judgement was on last week's, so I'm not going to see a copy soon :( . The Census is going to be late...

10 hours ago, FelixFenix said:

Thanks!

😰

They are powerful. But they are not necessarily straight forward good. They tend to be good and bad.

"Powerful, but not necessarily straight forward good" sounds like the gaming definition of "balanced" to me. πŸ˜‰

For real though, it sounds like they're pretty on point for what I'd expect from Void magic. And on the plus side, it means we're less likely to see everyone bandwagon onto playing ishiken.

22 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

"Powerful, but not necessarily straight forward good" sounds like the gaming definition of "balanced" to me. πŸ˜‰

For real though, it sounds like they're pretty on point for what I'd expect from Void magic. And on the plus side, it means we're less likely to see everyone bandwagon onto playing ishiken.

After all, the most rare of the shugenja PC is a Phoenix who was NOT an Ishiken πŸ˜‚

49 minutes ago, Diogo Salazar said:

After all, the most rare of the shugenja PC is a Phoenix who was NOT an Ishiken πŸ˜‚

To be fair, I'm sure they'll still be really popular for those interested in playing a Phoenix shugenja...we've only had the rather generic "Isawa Elementalist" up until now. But maybe the Kaito Spirit Seeker will give them a run for their money.

26 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

To be fair, I'm sure they'll still be really popular for those interested in playing a Phoenix shugenja...we've only had the rather generic "Isawa Elementalist" up until now. But maybe the Kaito Spirit Seeker will give them a run for their money.

Perhaps, it's just that I have been playing L5R since 2001 and I have never seen nor heard of an Isawa Elementalist being played if someone picks Isawa Shugenja as idea of character.

Granted, the rarest of the Shugenja were the Asako and later the Agasha.

1 hour ago, Diogo Salazar said:

Perhaps, it's just that I have been playing L5R since 2001 and I have never seen nor heard of an Isawa Elementalist being played if someone picks Isawa Shugenja as idea of character.

Granted, the rarest of the Shugenja were the Asako and later the Agasha.

hopefully this version is better. They can do some crazy stuff. but it is often pretty niche too

Looks like my copy arrived a day early!

So a clarification on Ishiken Initiate - their Techniques Available are Inversions, Rituals, and Shuji...invocations are *only* available through their curriculum, as follows:
Rank 1: Rank 1 Air Invocations

Rank 2: Rank 1-2 Fire Invocations

Rank 3: Rank 1-3 Water Invocations

Rank 4: Rank 1-4 Earth Invocations

Rank 5: Rank 1-5 Invocations

I also like their school ability, basically when you make a Void check, you can take fatigue up to your class rank and choose to either change up to that many non-blank dice to blank, or change up to that many blank dice to the side of your choice.

So Kaito Spirit Seeker is even weirder and cooler than I expected. They relocate the kami by using their own body as a vessel. Basically they move kami from "overcrowded" areas to new locations less "populated" with spirits. Their school ability is essentially inviting the kami into your body, and then they may affect your rolls depending on if you're using their element or the element opposed to them (there's a little sidebar explaining opposing elements, it's basically rock-paper-scissors). Also if you unmask, the kami gets irate and is released.

17 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

So Kaito Spirit Seeker is even weirder and cooler than I expected. They relocate the kami by using their own body as a vessel. Basically they move kami from "overcrowded" areas to new locations less "populated" with spirits. Their school ability is essentially inviting the kami into your body, and then they may affect your rolls depending on if you're using their element or the element opposed to them (there's a little sidebar explaining opposing elements, it's basically rock-paper-scissors). Also if you unmask, the kami gets irate and is released.

So the Kaito Spirit Seeker are a mixture of Spirit Detective meets Ghostbuster where their own body works as a Ghost Trap? Cool

43 minutes ago, Diogo Salazar said:

So the Kaito Spirit Seeker are a mixture of Spirit Detective meets Ghostbuster where their own body works as a Ghost Trap? Cool

P.S. Ishiken are basically responsible for maintaining the space-time continuum in Rokugan, so Spirit Seekers aren't the weirdest thing going on in the book. 😁

39 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

P.S. Ishiken are basically responsible for maintaining the space-time continuum in Rokugan, so Spirit Seekers aren't the weirdest thing going on in the book. 😁

So the Ishiken are all a bunch of Doctors?

1 hour ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

They relocate the kami by using their own body as a vessel.

Ah, that is the coolest bit of their Lore from Sword and the Spirits. I thought Shrinekeeper was already pretty good on that but this is even closer to the "living shrine" concept.

Alas, we wait for PDF.

On 8/27/2020 at 10:02 AM, Daeglan said:

I have added page numbers if that helps

Just picked up my copy, but thank you!

2 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

1 hour ago, Diogo Salazar said:

So the Ishiken are all a bunch of Doctors?

Sound more like Sapphire & Steel to me :)

2 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

Ah, that is the coolest bit of their Lore from Sword and the Spirits. I thought Shrinekeeper was already pretty good on that but this is even closer to the "living shrine" concept.

Alas, we wait for PDF.

Astute observation, the school ability is even called "The Body is a Shrine". I do feel like it's going to be tough to master though, as it's a TN 4 Courtesy check in whatever ring is the targeted kami's/spirit's highest ring, so you can only control your ring for the check as far as selecting a spirit that is a good "match" for you...which is kinda neat flavor-wise.

As a note, nothing in the rules stops you from being a Kaito Spirit Seeker who fills themselves up with Kansen, and then EXPLODES like when they shut off the containment center during Ghostbusters.

18 minutes ago, sndwurks said:

As a note, nothing in the rules stops you from being a Kaito Spirit Seeker who fills themselves up with Kansen, and then EXPLODES like when they shut off the containment center during Ghostbusters.

so a lost Kaito Spirit Seeker sneaking into the capital full of Kansen and boom