Rise of Red Skulls - Official Content creator spoiler season

By FearLord, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

42 minutes ago, FearLord said:

No, the hero cards are just the 2 premade decks (Leadership Hawkeye and Aggression / Justice Spider-Woman) and campaign specific cards.

giphy.gif

(The internet really failed me on this one. Took ages and stilling couldn't find a man facing away from the camera, rending the shirt from his back yelling, "No!" Ah, Arkham Horror LCG, you have spoiled me.)

On the one hand I like that I'm in on MC from the beginning so I get to know the cards gradually over time, but on the other hand I really want a LOTR LCG level card pool so I can really play with making a Spidey-tastic Aggression-Protection Spider-Woman deck. So boooo on no protection cards.

Also, booo that I haven't gotten my shipping notice yet. I was a little excited this morning when I opened my email and saw a shipping email, but it was for the Fallout: Atomic Bonds expansion for that board game. I do want that, but I want RotRS more.

On the plus side Kang and Ant Man in October is another big chunk of content straight away which is cool...

The Leadership pool in particular is getting a real freshen up - I think we’re going from about 7 Leadership allies to 15 over these 2 packs!

www.cardgamedb.com has Red Skull up in full definition.

On 9/1/2020 at 12:10 PM, maniakmedic said:

On the one hand I like that I'm in on MC from the beginning so I get to know the cards gradually over time, but on the other hand I really want a LOTR LCG level card pool so I can really play with making a Spidey-tastic Aggression-Protection Spider-Woman deck. So boooo on no protection cards.

Also, booo that I haven't gotten my shipping notice yet. I was a little excited this morning when I opened my email and saw a shipping email, but it was for the Fallout: Atomic Bonds expansion for that board game. I do want that, but I want RotRS more.

I still haven't. Filled with confidence, I am not.

On 9/2/2020 at 3:18 PM, Duciris said:

I still haven't. Filled with confidence, I am not.

Same, I’m beginning to wonder if putting the 4 player mat on the same pre-order was a huge mistake.

50 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Same, I’m beginning to wonder if putting the 4 player mat on the same pre-order was a huge mistake.

That didn't stop mine from shipping. I bought all three mats and the expansion on the same pre-order and it all actually showed up yesterday. That being said, my Fallout expansion is still in limbo. I wonder if they're still having shipping issues with all the craziness happening in the last several months.

27 minutes ago, maniakmedic said:

That didn't stop mine from shipping. I bought all three mats and the expansion on the same pre-order and it all actually showed up yesterday. That being said, my Fallout expansion is still in limbo. I wonder if they're still having shipping issues with all the craziness happening in the last several months.

Frankly I’m surprised that shipping might have enough in person required contact that could even be disrupted.

Mine shipped and arrived yesterday. I still don't believe it.

14 minutes ago, Duciris said:

Mine shipped and arrived yesterday. I still don't believe it.

In the military you learn to never assume a TDY (business trip) will happen until you're already back and the DTS (paperwork system for travel validation and payment) has cleared. Even then...

Sorry so many have yet to receive the ROTRS yet. It is good although it doesn't really help turn the Ultron Core story into a campaign but I'm going to try after playing this a few times.

Played the campaign as Spiderwoman all the way through on Standard villains (but including the expert cards and other expert options). Spiderwoman is VERY good and FFG have done a great hero (definitely not a Hulk of Thor) She is quite op in some departments being able to Stun AND Confuse the villain making beating the early villains - Crossbones and Absorbing Man - fairly easy if you get this cards out. The mechanic where she gets better the more aspect cards you play in a turn is also interesting and can make her incredibly powerful, especially if you can also get her THW and ATK upgraded as well. I was doing 5 basic ATK or THW a number of times. LOVE her Captain Marvel ally. Giving a card every time she ATKs or THWs is very powerful and I tweaked the deck to include a First Aid to keep Carol going for 5 turns which makes her a **** of an ally. Honorary Avenger is another nice add on to keep her going just that little bit longer.

On standard the Villains are challenging IF you let them move through their Main Schemes too long. I was nervous all the way through as things started being added after each scenario and I had to try and finish a scenario quickly to deny the villain bonuses while also wondering when I should take a turn to heal (you only really have to worry about this in Expert but as I said I wanted a bit of a challenge). All this impacts how good the Red Skull is at the end. How much Tech Crossbones was able to steal, how long Absorbing Man delayed you etc all add up. He also has a new mechanic where all side schemes are put in a separate deck and he draws one per turn. If you are crap at THW you really need to try and take Red Skull down fast or you will be overwhelmed. Overall I really had fun and it was a great narrative. Well done FFG.

Dr Strange Tough Spell will be found to be virtually useless as most of the villains seems to have access to Pierce (ignore tough, discard it and do full damage). Range is also quite common. To balance this many of the villains are just normal or almost normal men so their HP are low compared to the other villains we have met before. Tons of minions which should please Thor players.

I'm playing Hawkeyer now and his low HP with no armour, low defence and no heal in his pre built deck (Spiderwoman can heal herself with an intrinsic Protect card which also grants her Tough as well as a potentially high defence) makes him feel very brittle - more so than Black Widow. I beat Crossbones quickly - his arrows are an excellent mechanic but you need his quiver early to help you have more arrows and store them in the quiver for later use - took a few moments to figure how that worked but very nice FFG. Hawkeye also works as expected. I now enjoy Thor but it still makes me wonder how they have done so well in designing the other heroes as you would expect them to play then made such an un-Thor like build. I personally don't mind Hulk - he plays as I expect but Thor just doesn't feel like the "Strongest Avenger" or even in the top 3.

However Spiderwoman and Hawkeye definitely have my thumbs up and well done and I'm enjoying the campaign.

Been having a lot of fun with this expansion, both as a campaign and playing the villains individually. However, I recently ran the campaign on Expert and came away very frustrated. When you reach Red Skull, it adds the rule: "if you lose this scenario, you lose the campaign." That is ridiculous, especially given how punishing his schemes can be early on before you've had a chance to get set up. I ran a great campaign up to that point, with full health and never having to add an obligation to replenish. Reach Red Skull, get an extremely unlucky sequence of encounter cards and side schemes that cripples me before I even get going and could never recover from, and all the time I spent on the campaign became worthless.

After losing, I just ignored it, started over, and beat him. But because of how random the decks can be, this seems more like a Heroic rule than an Expert campaign rule.

So, for whatever it's worth: in reprints or future campaigns, I think the "lose [last scenario], lose the entire campaign" is unnecessary and severely diminishes replay value at Expert difficulty.

Edited by mike8104
11 hours ago, mike8104 said:

Been having a lot of fun with this expansion, both as a campaign and playing the villains individually. However, I recently ran the campaign on Expert and came away very frustrated. When you reach Red Skull, it adds the rule: "if you lose this scenario, you lose the campaign." That is ridiculous, especially given how punishing his schemes can be early on before you've had a chance to get set up. I ran a great campaign up to that point, with full health and never having to add an obligation to replenish. Reach Red Skull, get an extremely unlucky sequence of encounter cards and side schemes that cripples me before I even get going and could never recover from, and all the time I spent on the campaign became worthless.

After losing, I just ignored it, started over, and beat him. But because of how random the decks can be, this seems more like a Heroic rule than an Expert campaign rule.

So, for whatever it's worth: in reprints or future campaigns, I think the "lose [last scenario], lose the entire campaign" is unnecessary and severely diminishes replay value at Expert difficulty.

Real heroes only get one chance to save the world, so I don’t really have a problem with it thematically...

No one is going to come to your house and insist you’ve lost the campaign if you choose to ignore the rule though, so I wouldn’t worry about it - as you say like any card game you occasionally just get the kind of draw that it’s not possible to win with.