New Descent product teased

By Lightningclaw, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

On 8/7/2020 at 9:17 PM, Cotgrave said:

Hi Crimson Sun,

Don't know if I mentioned "this extensive list of current 1 vs many dungeon crawlers, with experience and progression for both sides of the table".

I did refer to 1 vs Many and All vs All, but I wasn't being specific to Dungeon crawlers nor to 'current' games, yet even doing so you set a high bar here I didn't reference. My comment was in reference to the make-up of gaming groups; perhaps pure co-op gaming groups are the norm of course, I guess I am just used to those which play a variety of types over the years, even if he main are Dungeon crawlers.

In respect to Descent, my hope is they continue to support 1 vs Many, if I wasn't clear.

Have you tried/what did you think of SMOG, Rise of Moloch? (being that you mention IA)

Sorry I misunderstood your meaning.. I've not tried either of those titles will take a look at some point though if they are Kickstarters and filled with exclusives (something I don't mind if they aren't gameplay related but soon as you lock out large amounts of gameplay I'm never going to consider a retail purchase for what is part of a game) it will depend on how gameplay related the exclusives are, I've no interest in dropping the soap for Ebay scalpers, I collect Kingdom Death and and been caught in the ebay scalper shower already, no more thanks...

On 8/8/2020 at 12:53 AM, TurboCooler said:

[...]

What you are looking for is a Skirmish Game. There are Skirmish Games with Dungeon Crawl Scenarios -- Frostgrave Perilous Dark ruleset and an upcoming Rangers of Shadowdeep expansion or Broken Legions.
[...]

Is that reasonable?

This is a Descent forum. Descent 2nd edition was created using a great 1 vs all system campaign mode. I love it still today, it's my #1 since amazing products like Gloomhaven lack a gamemode: you don't get to face opossing intelligence.

So, for 3rd Edition, I'd love an improvement on that. Not some skirmish

Edited by GralQ

Third edition and end of second edition confirmed? The Chains That Rust has had its status changed from 'out of stock' to 'no longer available' as have some of the hero and monster collections, I may not get my second Zarihell to use for someone's clever idea of using the ghost for the scourge- clever ideas you get too late!

A few second edition items are still available but many have sold out and looks almost guaranteed now they won't be reprinted (unless they get relaunched/rebranded as 'Legends' content, they'd best not have put Skarn on the scrap heap, it seems like an entity very able to make a return!, should be available always for other players as still the best they've designed) so if you want it get it while you still can before the ebayers want your scalp for it :)

So pretty much a dead cert now that 'Legends of the Dark' IS third edition Descent rather than a game to exist alongside it I'm thinking....

Just seen a pre-order page for the upcoming novel listed as Descent Legends Of The Dark: The Doom Of Fallowhearth - pre-order

so I wonder if these novels will be branded to the new Descent Legends of The Dark name, even though the current artwork still has it as 'journeys...', as it looks like 2e is being phased out sales wise this would make sense

According to the Czech publisher of the Board Games (including Descent 2nd) we should see more information during online Essen, SPIEL.digital from October 22nd to 25th 2020 .

michal-bf.jpg?pub_secret=df11c7cb6c

source

He is very offten talking about translations, projects and shares other stuff with the fan base. He already announced that D3 will not be localized for the Czech market due to massive amount of content. Previous messages slightly suggest (this is just a conjecture), that there will be more than 2 acts, each separated in its own box. Sadly he really cannot share more details.

They made this box tease only because of previous book leak, it was not planned at the first place.

This project is seeming extremely ambitious. I’m cautiously hoping it succeeds, given that non-Descent Terrinoth hasn’t been doing well in the last couple of years.

Honestly it hasn’t been doing well because of endless edition release. Runebound 2nd ed was fine and should have kept being reprinted. Truthfully the same is likely with Descent 2nd

Battlelore 1 edition was fine, and really there’s no very good excuse it isn’t in stock. But it never was it’s own game, more a copy of memoir with fantasy figs.

Runewars was great...but is surely both the reason for the rift with Games Workshop and frankly was never anything more than a testing ground for Star Wars. There was never a deep enough commitment to it from day 1 and that was obvious on release, sadly.

At this point, new editions of any FFG games are questionable because of the reputation loss from them. I really wish it wasn’t that way.

Regarding 1 v many, I think it needs to be included in the new Descent. When the Star Wars LCG was first announced, it was a cooperative card game. A vocal part of the community said they weren't interested because they wanted to play as Dark Side characters. FFG took the feedback and scrapped the whole co-op framework, redesigning the game as a 1v1 game. I think Terrinoth has explored playing as the bad guys enough that you miss a lot if you can't play as characters from those factions. The box art shows Uthuk Y'llan on it and that has been my faction from the very beginning. Sure, seeing Uthuk as enemies would be cool, but it pales in comparison to being able to play them myself.

On 9/12/2020 at 7:53 AM, Lightningclaw said:

This project is seeming extremely ambitious. I’m cautiously hoping it succeeds, given that non-Descent Terrinoth hasn’t been doing well in the last couple of years.

I think It has done well but could have done better with better marketing and may have suffered from the opposite to what the comments often suggest- A LOT of product but with not a lot of 'push'.

Having recently completed my RWM sets it dawns on me it's actually quite a lot of kit- as with music, PC games etc etc I think the board/tabletop games market has grown that much that if you're going for a lot of content and fail on the marketing you've rather had it.

There are some hints that FFG are going to focus big on the new game, with other lines having been moved out of the spotlight or retired altogether, I'm hoping they market this better and for longer- as I've said before SW got a big area at the UK Games Expo, Terrinoth nothing- not even any Genesys presence- if they'd have given Terrinoth some space and made it a point of interest.... For some reason other games firms seem to do better on 'whole range' displays at shows, although this is of course tricky if your range is big, but SW having models on display and a big area showcasing it shows the contrast vs ignoring Terrinoth games altogether.

Sadly there's often a 'could do better' vibe- Battlelore Command is a great game but never got the undead units (at least not in campaign terms, haven't checked yet if they are elsewhere in the game), the uthuk only got a short campaign- so it often feels like FFG sometimes abandon existing things for the sake of new things instead of balancing out attention to both or don't always quite make the most of the full potential of ideas. For a company of its stature everything it does could and should really be the best with the 'audience' player base/fanbase to match, if not something has been missed somewhere, so lack of sales is more a consequence than an excuse.

People were picking up and getting excited by Runewars Miniatures boxes from game retailers' sales stands at the show just on them looking good/interesting- they were getting a lot of attention- which suggests if FFG had done more to put the product on show themselves.....

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
typo

Ok FFG, you could talk about Descent 3, the brand new edition of Heroquest is a failure, Massive Darkness campaign is over, ... what else ?

6 hours ago, Koupo said:

Ok FFG, you could talk about Descent 3, the brand new edition of Heroquest is a failure, Massive Darkness campaign is over, ... what else ?

They've not officially plugged the new novels yet (I think- can't recall seeing them in the news items, only one for the fiction arm more generally)- I think we'll get something when they promote these, maybe for the first one possibly due out in October or the second (February 2021?) one as that is rumored to be linked to launching the 'new' Descent.

My main theory though remains that they are still waiting for the final trademark approval, it was a similar thing when everyone was speculating on the new Alton Towers ride being Wicker Man because of the trademark application, so I think there will be another teaser or more news then, maybe around/ just after 20 October:

Status

2020-09-22 UTC
2.png
LIVE APPLICATION Under Examination
The trademark application has been accepted by the Office (has met the minimum filing requirements) and that this application has been assigned to an examiner.
2020-09-17 Status: Review prior to publication completed.
2020-10-20 Published
We could maybe expect some unique Descent spin offs too :) as " decorations for Christmas trees. " are covered by the category :) as are " gymnastic and sporting articles not included in other classes" and "023: Cutlery, Machinery, Tools and Parts Thereof" so maybe something for the LARPers out there hehe
As AwesomeTree said: "According to the Czech publisher of the Board Games (including Descent 2nd) we should see more information during online Essen, SPIEL.digital from October 22nd to 25th 2020." If so this ties in with that trademark deadline.....
Edited by Watercolour Dragon

Maybe it’s RTL without the need for an app! lol!!!

17 hours ago, Sir Auron said:

Maybe it’s RTL without the need for an app! lol!!!

They did that, it was the coop card expansions.

10 hours ago, kris40k said:

They did that, it was the coop card expansions.

They could have done a lot more!!!!! For example, interchangable "steps" to be mixed with interchangable "checkpoints": they missed to become THE DUNGEON CRAWLER 😞 It would have had everything (maybe they should have added also 1 vs 1 since somebody asked for it).