Pick and make a force tradition universal spec

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

32 minutes ago, DarthKaage said:

Just when I thought you wonderful folks were done with these : ) That only has the Apprentice, is there a final version of the Defender as well or is the Seventh version from previously it?

:ph34r: are you saying I'm beating a dead equine? 😝

Nah. I'm still working away, as there's nothing to do these days. Summer holiday and nowhere to go. Final versions will appear eventually. I'm still tweaking both the Apprentice and the Defender - and fiddling with the InDesign template that I'm making simultaneously. I'm not all satisfied with the names of some talents, and improving talent language to more clearly describe the mechanics.

Also: input on talents, talent names, and background image is welcome.

14 hours ago, Jegergryte said:

:ph34r: are you saying I'm beating a dead equine? 😝

Nope, I love this project. I have an idea to turn you guys loose on some force powers when this winds down. Mainly what is missing form the new movies, tv shows and games.

58 minutes ago, DarthKaage said:

Nope, I love this project. I have an idea to turn you guys loose on some force powers when this winds down. Mainly what is missing form the new movies, tv shows and games.

Cool.

I'm now working on Jensaarai (Apprentice and Defender), Zeison Sha (Initiate and Warrior), Jal Shey (still doing research), Gray Paladins (needs some revisions and rethinking), and at least one new tradition that I'm using in my current game. Elias already did Matukai, so I will look at that and possibly include that as well - at least a version.

New Force powers you say? Interesting. Just throw it out here (perhaps in a different thread if Elias wants less clutter here) or send me a message.

I can't wait to see them all. If you like doing two of each, you can do a Gray Paladin and a Teepo Paladin. They do have different beliefs and approches to things. Info is light, so some creativity would need to be invloved. It is a selfish ask though, the Gunslinging Jedi are what I personally am most interested in. : )

Edited by DarthKaage
9 hours ago, Jegergryte said:

Cool.

I'm now working on Jensaarai (Apprentice and Defender), Zeison Sha (Initiate and Warrior), Jal Shey (still doing research), Gray Paladins (needs some revisions and rethinking), and at least one new tradition that I'm using in my current game. Elias already did Matukai, so I will look at that and possibly include that as well - at least a version.

New Force powers you say? Interesting. Just throw it out here (perhaps in a different thread if Elias wants less clutter here) or send me a message.

This thread is fine for forcepowers

I’ll post my thoughts Monday, and let you guys go to town.

I am adding the Force Powers request to a new thread now. If you guys want to play with that too : )

Jegergryte, just checking to see how your force tradition specs are coming, I would love to see a copy when they are done.

On 8/3/2020 at 10:36 PM, DarthKaage said:

Jegergryte, just checking to see how your force tradition specs are coming, I would love to see a copy when they are done.

I got side-tracked with another project, or two ... and I'm moving house. :ph34r: So, it'll be a little while :ph34r: I'll post here, and on my blog when I'm done. :ph34r:

I always wanted to create some alternative force traditions and this thread is awesome. Having said that I am not sure making them universal specializations is a good idea. Each one of these traditions offers their students a complete training similar to the Jedi career and thus I believe they should either be a new career (even with a single specialization each) or an additional specialization in one of the F&D careers (my choice, inside Mystic or Seeker career). Making them Universal sends the message of them being secondary things and not something one can be trained since childhood. For example, the Baran Do tradition is a fully organized cult and its members can be trained once they are identified as force users,same for Zeison Sha.

Regarding @Jegergryte and @EliasWindrider take on the Zeison Sha Discblade Throw I find them great and definitely not OP. After all many of the things they can do can be done by a soldier with a simple blaster and good armor. My comments on the proposed trees are:

1 - What makes the Zeison Sha special is that they can use the force to make a normal weapon like the Discblade into a awesome thing by adding the Force. This is also reflected by the written Discblade Throw (Mastery) which I believe is the essence of this tradition. However, I would re-skin the original Saber Throw talent simply by removing the need to spend a pip to throw the Discblade and only needing to spend it to make it return to the user's hand. My reasoning for this is: If the Discblade is already a thrown weapon why would be a requisite to use the Force to thrown it? Everyone should be able to throw it but only the Force users can make it return to hand.

2 - I find the talent Telekinetic Technique talent unnecessary. Thrown weapons use Ranged Light skill by default and the rest can be included in the mentioned re-skinning of the Saber throw talent. I would simply include Ranged (Light) as one of the bonus skills for the specialization and leave that tree space for a general talent related to stealth, survival or vigilance.

3 - Lastly, I would make the Discblade a +2 weapon (Pierce 2) with base damage determined either by Brawn or Agility. Maybe I would introduce a talent on the tree that allows you to use Willpower as a base characteristic for damage as they are using the force to guide it. My suggestion for its stats is pretty close to @Jegergryte :

• Encumbrance: 1
  • Hard Points: 2
  • Rarity: 7
  • Price: 1000
  • Type: Thrown
  • Categories: Cutting Edge Melee, Ranged
  • Damage: +2 (with Brawn or Agility as base damage)
  • Range: Short
  • Critical: 3
  • Skill: Ranged - Light
  • Hands: One-Handed
  • Qualities: Limited Ammo 1, Pierce 2, Vicious 2

Hope this helps. I really want this project to continue and will help as I can.

Edited by Erahard

Hey!

Thanks for input.

Yeah, I'm not convinced either that making them universal specs is the best solution, unless there's a FR requirement for some of them. Making them into specific careers is also a possibility, both of these things are on my list of ideas that I'm working on.

7 hours ago, Erahard said:

I always wanted to create some alternative force traditions and this thread is awesome. Having said that I am not sure making them universal specializations is a good idea. Each one of these traditions offers their students a complete training similar to the Jedi career and thus I believe they should either be a new career (even with a single specialization each) or an additional specialization in one of the F&D careers (my choice, inside Mystic or Seeker career). Making them Universal sends the message of them being secondary things and not something one can be trained since childhood. For example, the Baran Do tradition is a fully organized cult and its members can be trained once they are identified as force users,same for Zeison Sha.

Regarding @Jegergryte and @EliasWindrider take on the Zeison Sha Discblade Throw I find them great and definitely not OP. After all many of the things they can do can be done by a soldier with a simple blaster and good armor. My comments on the proposed trees are:

1 - What makes the Zeison Sha special is that they can use the force to make a normal weapon like the Discblade into a awesome thing by adding the Force. This is also reflected by the written Discblade Throw (Mastery) which I believe is the essence of this tradition. However, I would re-skin the original Saber Throw talent simply by removing the need to spend a pip to throw the Discblade and only needing to spend it to make it return to the user's hand. My reasoning for this is: If the Discblade is already a thrown weapon why would be a requisite to use the Force to thrown it? Everyone should be able to throw it but only the Force users can make it return to hand.

2 - I find the talent Telekinetic Technique talent unnecessary. Thrown weapons use Ranged Light skill by default and the rest can be included in the mentioned re-skinning of the Saber throw talent. I would simply include Ranged (Light) as one of the bonus skills for the specialization and leave that tree space for a general talent related to stealth, survival or vigilance.

3 - Lastly, I would make the Discblade a +2 weapon (Pierce 2) with base damage determined either by Brawn or Agility. Maybe I would introduce a talent on the tree that allows you to use Willpower as a base characteristic for damage as they are using the force to guide it. My suggestion for its stats is pretty close to @Jegergryte :

• Encumbrance: 1
  • Hard Points: 2
  • Rarity: 7
  • Price: 1000
  • Type: Thrown
  • Categories: Cutting Edge Melee, Ranged
  • Damage: +2 (with Brawn or Agility as base damage)
  • Range: Short
  • Critical: 3
  • Skill: Ranged - Light
  • Hands: One-Handed
  • Qualities: Limited Ammo 1, Pierce 2, Vicious 2

Hope this helps. I really want this project to continue and will help as I can.

I don't have a telekinetic technique talent, I do have a disk blade technique talent that grants ranged light as a career skill, and let's you use saberthrow with a disk blade instead of a saber. Doesn't practiced telekinetic provide the force point you would use to throw?

Edited by EliasWindrider
On 8/29/2020 at 10:22 PM, EliasWindrider said:

I don't have a telekinetic technique talent, I do have a disk blade technique talent that grants ranged light as a career skill, and let's you use saberthrow with a disk blade instead of a saber. Doesn't practiced telekinetic provide the force point you would use to throw?

I was referring to @Jegergryte version of the tree. In yours ¨¨ Practiced Telekinetic¨ indeed provides the extra pip but it is at the very end of the tree making this class underpowered until you get it. As in said I do not understand why it is required to spend a pip to throw a weapon designed to be thrown. On the other hand, your tree lacks a talent that lets you improve the damage the discblade provides like @Jegergryte does. In your tree a simple blaster would do more damage, same range and no need to spend points in talents to make it come back to hand or else. I believe in order for this tradition to exist it must be better than simply picking up a blaster. Otherwise, no one, IC or OOC would follow this tradition and this is accomplished by inserting talents like ¨Telekinetic Parry, a simplified Saber Throw and @Jegergryte Discblade Throw (Mastery).

On 8/31/2020 at 12:57 AM, Erahard said:

I was referring to @Jegergryte version of the tree. In yours ¨¨ Practiced Telekinetic¨ indeed provides the extra pip but it is at the very end of the tree making this class underpowered until you get it. As in said I do not understand why it is required to spend a pip to throw a weapon designed to be thrown. On the other hand, your tree lacks a talent that lets you improve the damage the discblade provides like @Jegergryte does. In your tree a simple blaster would do more damage, same range and no need to spend points in talents to make it come back to hand or else. I believe in order for this tradition to exist it must be better than simply picking up a blaster. Otherwise, no one, IC or OOC would follow this tradition and this is accomplished by inserting talents like ¨Telekinetic Parry, a simplified Saber Throw and @Jegergryte Discblade Throw (Mastery).

A standard blaster does 6 damage no pierce. My diskblade does 4 damage and 2 pierce. So even if we assume a brawn 1 target character with heavy clothing, the target takes the same damage as a standard blaster pistol. Also you got the complexity labels switched, a blaster is complex and a diskblade is simple.

In terms of power level, if you're trying to compare it to saw an ataru:striker (the most powerful lightsaber form) or consular:niman-disciple (the second most powerful lightsaber form) you're using the wrong point of reference. You should be comparing zeison sha to sentinel:sentry (the most similar official spec), and in that comparison my zeison sha universal spec does well. The point was not to create a super charged monstrosity, but to create something pretty comparable to official specs in power level but thematically tuned to a zeison sha.

My zeison sha has powerful defensive abilities, and the practiced telekinetic talent is a powerful talent that belongs on the bottom row (similar to empty soul from ascetic). And if you want it to get it quickly you can go straight down the column on the right side and across the bottom row.