The tale of Imperial Assault is not done!

By Galak Fyyar, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

5 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

I see the app as a nessecary evil to play solo. In which case I welcome it! Haha

And this is where apps really shine imo.

I'm against apps for board games mostly because of compatibility. In 20 years time I want to still be able to play my favorite games with my kids and grandkids. Will FFG promise to maintain their apps still in 20 years? Especially when the app becomes a mandatory component like Mansions of Madness, X-Wing 2nd edition or Xcom. Not to mention that living in Africa we do not have reliable electricity, so I also do not want to depend on something that needs to carry a charge while actively being used for 5+ hours.

I have a PC and when I want to play video games I will get a game that's considerably better designed than the Imperial Assault app. And I already have a struggle there with playing old favorites having to constantly find patches, emulators or virtual machines to run them.

Edited by neosmagus
On 8/6/2020 at 11:25 AM, neosmagus said:

I'm against apps for board games mostly because of compatibility. In 20 years time I want to still be able to play my favorite games with my kids and grandkids. Will FFG promise to maintain their apps still in 20 years? Especially when the app becomes a mandatory component like Mansions of Madness, X-Wing 2nd edition or Xcom. Not to mention that living in Africa we do not have reliable electricity, so I also do not want to depend on something that needs to carry a charge while actively being used for 5+ hours.

I have a PC and when I want to play video games I will get a game that's considerably better designed than the Imperial Assault app. And I already have a struggle there with playing old favorites having to constantly find patches, emulators or virtual machines to run them.

I can agree with that. 100 percent agree that making the game only able to be played with an app companion is a bit of a no no for me. but an app that enhances some aspects of a Boardgame, that seems fine.

Teasing, teasing....

On 9/3/2020 at 8:09 PM, The Laughing Man2 said:

Teasing, teasing....

Hmm... now why would FFG ask a question like that about a completed game line?

They put the same up on Twitter.

I did reply asking what their intentions were with the skirmish World Championships, as they've now said all OP events are pushed back to next year, and anyone with a 2020 ticket would be invited to the 2021 event, except that there wasn't supposed to be a 2021 IA event.

They didn't reply. 😒

12 hours ago, Pollux85 said:

To remind to buy the product.

13 hours ago, Pollux85 said:

To build up to crushing our hopes, again? :D You really need to have emotional fortitude to be a fan of Imperial Assault.

Edited by Fourtytwo
1 hour ago, onyersix said:

They didn't reply. 😒

Give them some time. As a fan of Imperial Assault, haven't you learned to be patient and then some? :D

14 hours ago, a1bert said:

To remind to buy the product.

At the expense of other product lines that they ARE still developing? I think not.

2 hours ago, Pollux85 said:

At the expense of other product lines that they ARE still developing? I think not.

"We have these products in stock, but please don't buy them. Rather buy the product we don't have in stock yet due to it being in development."

14 hours ago, Pollux85 said:

If they're not paying a development staff for IA, then anything profit can be used to fund new projects.

the tale of IA ended the moment they decided to make legion use a different scale

6 hours ago, Khobai said:

the tale of IA ended the moment they decided to make legion use a different scale

Yes thats a huge bummer.

I was kind of expecting some new announcement by now but maybe everything is delayed due to the silliness in the world at the moment.

What I want: Clone Wars/dark times between III and IV era content To get some sweet battle droids and Separatist villains in. Call it a second edition but more like the legion clone wars box where there is dice and a ton of content so someone could start with just that as a core box.

What I think everyone wants: Return of the Jedi box with Yoda where you help with the strike on Endor and some rescue/clean up operations trying to stop Imperial admirals from escaping. Or The Mandalorian box with him and Baby Yoda on Nar Shadda and some bounty hunting or criminal shenanigans. Or Rogue One covert rebel ops with Cassian.

What we are lucky to get: new mini campaigns for the other large expansions.

Return of the Jedi box sounds good to me.

maybe some Mandalorian stuff after.

On 9/10/2020 at 11:07 AM, Khobai said:

I hear that argument thrown around occasionally, but I'm not sure how much I agree with it. Sure, Legion probably took a decent portion of IA sales, but I don't think making the two games incompatible attributed much to it. I mean, sure, it was probably a nice bonus for their sales figures ("now all the wargamers who bought into IA are buying into Legion"), but Legion is a totally different games than IA--it's a wargame. That means higher expectations for model fidelity, and I don't know about you, but my IA models really don't hold up compared to wargaming models of the same scale (especially when painting). The scale increase probably had more to do with getting more detail on their minis with the tech they had available (I believe they used the same molding methods as with their usual board game minis). Besides, even if they'd been the same scale, IA comes in different numbers and styling than you use for Legion, and you're still missing out on all the cards and such (which, beyond convenience, also plays into tournament viability).

Unless of course that was just a witty way of saying Legion killed IA in general, in which case fair enough, there's definitely some merit to that. I still think it's ridiculous 'cause IA is a way different game, and one I enjoy much more, but I suppose that's a moot point at this juncture. Here's to the game still having a future of some kind.

On 9/10/2020 at 6:57 PM, General_Grievous said:

I was kind of expecting some new announcement by now but maybe everything is delayed due to the silliness in the world at the moment.

What I want: Clone Wars/dark times between III and IV era content To get some sweet battle droids and Separatist villains in. Call it a second edition but more like the legion clone wars box where there is dice and a ton of content so someone could start with just that as a core box.

What I think everyone wants: Return of the Jedi box with Yoda where you help with the strike on Endor and some rescue/clean up operations trying to stop Imperial admirals from escaping. Or The Mandalorian box with him and Baby Yoda on Nar Shadda and some bounty hunting or criminal shenanigans. Or Rogue One covert rebel ops with Cassian.

What we are lucky to get: new mini campaigns for the other large expansions.

Yeah, I'm still just hoping for some more RotJ-era stuff. We don't have any ewoks, and that's just such a shame. Also lots of mission opportunities regarding mopping up Imperial remnants, overthrowing local warlords, recruiting New Republic recruits, etc.

On 9/23/2020 at 11:59 PM, Castlecruncher said:

I hear that argument thrown around occasionally, but I'm not sure how much I agree with it. Sure, Legion probably took a decent portion of IA sales, but I don't think making the two games incompatible attributed much to it. I mean, sure, it was probably a nice bonus for their sales figures ("now all the wargamers who bought into IA are buying into Legion"), but Legion is a totally different games than IA--it's a wargame. That means higher expectations for model fidelity, and I don't know about you, but my IA models really don't hold up compared to wargaming models of the same scale (especially when painting). The scale increase probably had more to do with getting more detail on their minis with the tech they had available (I believe they used the same molding methods as with their usual board game minis). Besides, even if they'd been the same scale, IA comes in different numbers and styling than you use for Legion, and you're still missing out on all the cards and such (which, beyond convenience, also plays into tournament viability).

Unless of course that was just a witty way of saying Legion killed IA in general, in which case fair enough, there's definitely some merit to that. I still think it's ridiculous 'cause IA is a way different game, and one I enjoy much more, but I suppose that's a moot point at this juncture. Here's to the game still having a future of some kind.

IA is a different game but im not buying IA anymore. Because of Legion.

44 minutes ago, Khobai said:

IA is a different game but im not buying IA anymore. Because of Legion.

Fair enough. Meanwhile, I'm gonna keep buying IA. Regardless of Legion.

My kids have started to enjoy D&D over zoom with the local library. So I mentioned to them the fact that they both like: -

a. D&D

b. Star Wars

So I said to them, “You know, I happen to have this game that in campaign mode is a bit like..........”

😁

Hopefully will be expanding my meagre IA collection soon by one box set. My daughter has already asked if I have Leia, so maybe RtH and Jabbas Realm..........

On 9/30/2020 at 11:53 PM, Herr Style said:

My kids have started to enjoy D&D over zoom with the local library. So I mentioned to them the fact that they both like: -

a. D&D

b. Star Wars

So I said to them, “You know, I happen to have this game that in campaign mode is a bit like..........”

😁

Hopefully will be expanding my meagre IA collection soon by one box set. My daughter has already asked if I have Leia, so maybe RtH and Jabbas Realm..........

My daughter, whose 8, loves to play Diala and Jyn. She only knows a little bit about Star Wars, so she's not a Leia fangirl or anything. Her introduction to Star Wars was watching Empire one day on TBS, and then playing IA with me. I let her look through all the character cards and those two stood out as her favorites.

I was going to sell my entire IA collection but now I am thinking maybe I should keep it. I sold all my Legion stuff recently.

Edited by TauntaunScout

IA is still a far superior game than Legion. I would love to get into Legion, but their old-fashioned rules for how to organize your army just put me off. You can only take this number of that type of unit, you have to include at least this number of that type of unit - it's so clunky, unamiganitavie and restrictive.

Edited by Fourtytwo

@Fourtytwo Fine I am convinced. Who wants my whole IA collection? Core set, Return to Hoth, Jabba's Realm, Twin Suns, one neoprene Hoth mat, and a bunch of single figures so as not to be needing cardboard tokens. I think it's every plastic add-on for those boxes except Duros Saboteurs and IG Champion. Also I have a Bantha. Hoth stuff's painted but very little else is. My rebel troopers and commandos are painted in a Hoth color scheme. The Rancor's primed off-white. Actual shipping plus a nominal fee. Say $100. I just want all these fiddly token games out of my house.