The tale of Imperial Assault is not done!

By Galak Fyyar, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

41 minutes ago, Uninvited Guest said:

Hmm... my suspicion was 2e, but you make a fair point. That said, X-wing sales didn’t seem to be suffering when they announced 2e. Of course, it had plenty of other issues; one of which (balance) is/was present in IA skirmish for a long time.

FFG does like to make second editions of games, especially their board games. I wasn't a huge fan of the idea of 2e X-Wing when they announced, but it has been a huge success and really opened doors. I think a significant part of that success was the conversion kits. If FFG goes IA 2e, it's seems unlikely they will be offering conversion kits for a board game. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

18 minutes ago, urloony said:

If FFG goes IA 2e, it's seems unlikely they will be offering conversion kits for a board game. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Respectfully, I have to disagree. I think it is likely, only because they did offer a conversion kit for Descent 2e. Not certain, but likely.

1 minute ago, Uninvited Guest said:

Respectfully, I have to disagree. I think it is likely, only because they did offer a conversion kit for Descent 2e. Not certain, but likely.

Oh they did? I didn't realize that, as I never played descent. That does change things then if they decide to go 2e for IA. Adding app support for squad building and to maintain game balance, similar to X-wing, would certainly have its advantages in IA 2e.

I don't think we are on the IA 2e path at all.

I mean there is so much more content left, Endor, Mandalorian etc.

And then the most obvious part is the app that has alot of potential for both existing campaigns and future content.

Regarding the possibility of a second edition, the question is what would it improve? X-Wing second edition was a necessity, likewise with Descent 2e and even Twilight Imperium 4e. I think the risk/benefit analysis of doing a second edition says it's not worth it. The things they might fix probably isn't worth both the manufacturing and design investment. Couple that with the alienation factor and I think the math says "we don't need a 2e at this time". I think what we're going to see is a lean into more campaigns and scenarios.

Good news! I guess the sacking of the former CEO gave its results.

The product line is quite simple.

Endor + Rogue One + IACP Cards Pack = shut up and take my money.

Edited by robertpolson
17 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

Hmm... my suspicion was 2e, but you make a fair point. That said, X-wing sales didn’t seem to be suffering when they announced 2e. Of course, it had plenty of other issues; one of which (balance) is/was present in IA skirmish for a long time.

Netrunner had game balance issues and it really hurt the game. They acted too late to save Netrunner but got out in front of the X Wing problems. Pretty sure the app was IA soft 2.0 reboot. They didn't need to do anything as drastic as Mansion of Madness to get app support. There just isn't a need for a 2.0 right now. There doesn't seem to be a need for new content either. I am sure they track their sales and see the most bought item is the core set, then probably the next two sets and by the time they get to Lothal the numbers aren't anywhere near the core set numbers. Making more when the average customer doesn't buy everything to begin with when game stores only have so much self space doesn't make much sense.

1 hour ago, robertpolson said:

The product line is quite simple.

I would like to add perhaps some Mandalorian stuff for season 2 release in the fall? And yes I would preorder all the things!!!

2 hours ago, robertpolson said:

Yes! Are you listening, FFG? Especially the latter (IACP Cards Pack). It would be so easy to print up stuff others created and sell it! We'd buy it and Skirmish would be fresh again.

15 minutes ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

Yes! Are you listening, FFG? Especially the latter (IACP Cards Pack). It would be so easy to print up stuff others created and sell it! We'd buy it and Skirmish would be fresh again.

Does anyone from FFT ever read these forums or is it just us vaping?

Given the comments from the interview, I think it's safe to say that FFG does look in on the forum (from time to time). Which isn't to say that they read everything, but maybe they check out things (like how often Zuckuss and 4-LOM are mentioned as needing expansion packs), or just look to see how much activity announcements generate.

I don't think we are going to see Endor or Rogue One. Those are done properties. I can see Disney telling FFG to go all in on Mandolarian to give Disney + a boost. It doesn't have to make money if it is nothing more than advertisement for a streaming service.

8 hours ago, Mep said:

I don't think we are going to see Endor or Rogue One. Those are done properties. I can see Disney telling FFG to go all in on Mandolarian to give Disney + a boost. It doesn't have to make money if it is nothing more than advertisement for a streaming service.

There was a Rogue One expansion for Rebellion, Rogue One content is about to come out for Legion, etc.

30 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

There was a Rogue One expansion for Rebellion, Rogue One content is about to come out for Legion, etc.

I think that's his point.

They'll do what they need to to get people back in after the hiatus. Given the number of requests for Endor I wouldn't rule it out, Rogue One gets a lot of notice. But given the popularity of the Mandalorian, Mep could be right.

Edited by Uninvited Guest
On 3/15/2020 at 1:13 AM, urloony said:

Honestly, a second edition sounds like reinventing the wheel. If the current game is "selling well" then really what needs to happen is to support an existing, successful product, not sell something new.

A 2nd edition is not necessary a new product. Just think on it as an update of the rules that fix issues from the past and an opportunity to bring a new core with possible new era. Just the things already existed can be used and they can do an update pack just like mansions of madness. You can still use your boba fett or purchase another reprint of the same pack but in the new core there is already a card that let you use him instead of the actual useless.

On 3/15/2020 at 3:10 AM, urloony said:

FFG does like to make second editions of games, especially their board games. I wasn't a huge fan of the idea of 2e X-Wing when they announced, but it has been a huge success and really opened doors.

In your area maybe. Over here, x-wing is dead with the arrival of 2e. Not saying the same will happen with IA of course, certainly cause most consider the game dead already.

The key issue with X-Wing 1st edition was the power creep - it got pretty extreme.

Imperial Assault started to do the same, but where this game is different lies in it's core strength:

There are multiple ways to play!

X-Wing was one game with really only one way to play - I made some 'campaign' style things, there are some linked encounters from the 1st edition boxes - overall, X-Wing was a tabletop miniature wargame.

IA has class and sophistication. It has a true Campaign mode, it has tabletop elements where the board could literally change withing 15 minutes (if your tiles are organised otherwise 30 minutes), it has a strong tourny scene for those so inclined.

I think Imperial Assault is almost THE game - the core set has everything for providing more hours of game play than any console game can match.

There's a part of me that thinks they got too close to getting it right and it scared them off.

People are screaming "Endor! Endor!", for my money it's "Zuckass! 4-LOM!Nar Shadaa!". A campaign on Nar Shadaa could easily be that campaign with the Imperial 'hero' with a couple of bounty hunters breaking a spice smuggling ring - we could get a better generic or named Imperial Officer, generic Hut gangsters, generic bounty hunters, Ghand Hunters... too much source material here for it to be left alone.

There are stories yet to be told...

16 hours ago, TheEldarGuy said:

People are screaming "Endor! Endor!", for my money it's "Zuckass! 4-LOM!Nar Shadaa!"

That all sounds great. Just really anything new would be fun. Anything. If it had ewoks (my kids would go nuts!) that would be bonus, but just anything new... Heck, even some dumb Gungans with a horde of porgs! I'd still be happy. A big, weird milkable sea cow? Fine, whatever.

The thing is, there is just SO much that could still be done. And not just new figures either, (plenty of those and I'm sure we could all list which ones we want most). Also a lot that could be done with:

1. Game Mechanics? Always thought some kind of vehicle or beast that small figures could "ride" would be cool tactically.

2. Tile environments: Lava? Quicksand? etc.

3. Mixing of expansions...

4. More app campaigns...

5. Printing of new fixes for skirmish cards (hopefully using IACP fixes)

6. etc.

But who knows, we'll probably just get some minor stuff... I'm just happy there is something else coming...

22 hours ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

Heck, even some dumb Gungans with a horde of porgs! I'd still be happy. A big, weird milkable sea cow? Fine, whatever.

Image result for i felt a great disturbance in the force gif

Descent got a second edition. Imperial Assault has hovered near the top of BGG since it’s release. It’s a fantastic game with an incredible legacy (like AH or TI) but like those, it hasn’t aged that well, unfortunately. It definitely needs an update to compete with the games of the 2020s. With the product line “complete” but the story “not over” it seems like a second edition would be the obvious route.

Wish List:

- Variable points costs (looking at you, AT-ST).

- Rework Skirmish entirely

- More attribute-based interactions. I like fighting as much as the next guy but it’s not everything. The app opens up a lot of opportunities here.

- Conversion kits, but less focus on reprints than X-Wing saw

- Please end the $10-20 figure packs. Bigger boxes that cost more instead (like JiME or MoM)

Edited by ClassicalMoser
5 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

it hasn’t aged that well, unfortunately.

I don't disagree with you overall point, but I sort of disagree with this. Expansions post Bespin did a great job of updating.

That said, I like your wishlist. I feel like you can't expand attribute tests too much, at a certain point you might as well be playing EotE, 😉 . I would add one thing to the list: the largest complaint among my group is the 1 in 6 chance to completely avoid all damage on the white die, so I'd like to see that adjusted somehow.

5 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

one thing to the list: the largest complaint among my group is the 1 in 6 chance to completely avoid all damage on the white die, so I'd like to see that adjusted somehow.

You could change the result to something like "remove the result of one attack die from the results". If the 'Dodge' is nerfed, though, I'd at the same time advocate for ditching the 'blank' result, because if the 'Dodge' annoys you, the 'blank' result should for the same reasons. Also, most figures with a white die should then be made a bit more tough, especially those with melee attacks.

Then again, the 'Dodge' has never been an issue with our group - it's most 'annoying' if someone has boosted his attack, but then again, you know that the result could come up. We've had more instances where figures with an auto-block, auto-evade and black defense suffer no damage from an attack than those with a white die - it's much more consistent.

I never understood the issues some have with the white die. It's never ruined a game for us.

Edited by Fourtytwo
3 hours ago, Fourtytwo said:

You could change the result to something like "remove the result of one attack die from the results". If the 'Dodge' is nerfed, though, I'd at the same time advocate for ditching the 'blank' result, because if the 'Dodge' annoys you, the 'blank' result should for the same reasons. Also, most figures with a white die should then be made a bit more tough, especially those with melee attacks.

Then again, the 'Dodge' has never been an issue with our group - it's most 'annoying' if someone has boosted his attack, but then again, you know that the result could come up. We've had more instances where figures with an auto-block, auto-evade and black defense suffer no damage from an attack than those with a white die - it's much more consistent.

I never understood the issues some have with the white die. It's never ruined a game for us.

I love the white die. As a campaign player nothing invokes the same sense of drama when a large attack is performed, resulting in near certain wounding - only to see the X reveal itself. Most of the time everyone starts cheering and clapping with excitement. A couple X rolls in a row??? Total chaos! I think it’s the most exciting and dramatic part - it’s always in the back of your mind. Take that away??? The game becomes much more rote.

For the competitive skirmish player, I get the hate. But for casual campaigners it’s fun.