The tale of Imperial Assault is not done!

By Galak Fyyar, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

On 10/2/2020 at 5:54 AM, Rikalonius said:

My daughter, whose 8, loves to play Diala and Jyn. She only knows a little bit about Star Wars, so she's not a Leia fangirl or anything. Her introduction to Star Wars was watching Empire one day on TBS, and then playing IA with me. I let her look through all the character cards and those two stood out as her favorites.

Awesome! My son who is 4 just today spent an hour using every single tile I own to build a huge base and then set up Imperial miniatures all over which we then “battled”. He’s still a bit young for the rules but I’m excited to take him through the campaigns one day soon. Nice to have a more family friendly game like this over some of the more horror or adult-themed dungeon crawlers.

This could be its own thread, but I thought I'd post it here since there is so much that is unknown right now.

We know that "the tale of Imperial Assault is not done." We know that Fantasy Flight sees app driven experiences as the future of their dungeon crawlers. There is also a similarity in the name between Road to Legend, Legends of the Dark, and Legends of the Alliance. I know the naming convention isn't perfectly analogous, but do you think this means that in a year or so we may see a Star Wars themed counterpart to LotD?

8 hours ago, Pollux85 said:

This could be its own thread, but I thought I'd post it here since there is so much that is unknown right now.

We know that "the tale of Imperial Assault is not done." We know that Fantasy Flight sees app driven experiences as the future of their dungeon crawlers. There is also a similarity in the name between Road to Legend, Legends of the Dark, and Legends of the Alliance. I know the naming convention isn't perfectly analogous, but do you think this means that in a year or so we may see a Star Wars themed counterpart to LotD?

I smiled when I read your post as I had just finished watching the new Descent video and reading in the forums about it, and I thought the same thing regarding the "Legend" naming convention.

I would be glad to pay for more Imperial Assault App-based content however I am not at all interested in a fully app-dependent reboot such as the new Descent and would not buy a similar version of Imperial Assault. What I love about IA is that it was designed to work without the app. The app just brings more, different opportunities to play the game.

I also just completed my collection of IA expansions and will not be starting a completely new game system in the same universe.

I read a lot and don't speak, but i want to say the same thing as Rtannu :

I still play to some old games like Heroquest and Space crusade, which are more than 30 years old.

I know that in 30 years, I will still play to IA with my friends because this game is so great.

I also know that a lot of videogames I buy less than 15 years ago didn't work on my computer anymore, so I decided to never buy a game that cannot work without an app. Because we know the app will be discontinued at a moment, and impossible to have again (That's why I download the pdf for points in X-Wing, for when they will not be update again, and then I will print them and put it into my card folder to keep playing for a long time :) ).

So please FFG, don't make a game with app only. An app like legend of the alliance is a great app, I spend hours with it, but i also have great fun playing the imperial side. If you want a game without someone playing the DM, please look games like DungeonQuest or Mices and Mystics.

15 hours ago, Rtannu said:

... a fully app-dependent reboot such as the new Descent...

Oh dear god.

I just went and looked to see what you're talking about.

No. Hard no. A very hard no from me.

Descent was well and truly put in the shade by Imperial Assault (IA being basically Descent 3rd) and we only played one game of it after IA arrived because it was so clearly inferior; so I would have really liked a new edition of Descent that learned from IA and improved upon it, but... no. That looks awful. (Not least because, and I realise this is not a universally-applicable complaint, there's five people in our gaming group and one of them really likes being the Overlord. So a four-player game is worthless to us).

Very disappointed.

I would be ok with them releasing an app campaign for Heart of the Empire and maybe Lothal just to complete the collection. But personally my greatest interest besides another Big Box (which seems highly unlikely sadly), would be

- a wave of new figures only. Tons of options still remaining, many threads discussing the possibilities already. What better way to tie in to Mandalorian hype to also release a figure or two?

- a downloadable PDF campaign. Maybe include one or two expansions, or even just use core tiles whatever. I would absolutely pay 10 to 20 bucks for a new “paper” 1v4 campaign. If they were really smart you could tie both of these ideas together! Paper campaign and associated figure wave.

I know this won’t happen, but the paper only campaign seems like it could be produced with a very minor time/money investment. Would require no printing, and could be a nice way to get more money on existing product. I would imagine the margins / ROI on a downloadable PDF would be very strong compared to other avenues they have for revenue on existing product.

Hate to say it, but the tale of FFG is coming to a close. Some great games they made for sure, including this one.

On 12/18/2020 at 6:40 PM, Herr Style said:

I do so need to find a box of Jabba’s Realm! Tired of IG-88 and his Trandoshans getting their butt kicked.

There's always Amazon.

There were several copies the last time I looked (a few days ago).

On 12/21/2020 at 8:56 PM, Mep said:

Hate to say it, but the tale of FFG is coming to a close. Some great games they made for sure, including this one.

I have to reluctantly admit that you are right. But we have seen it coming since the moment in which FFG decided to quit on boardgames to compete with GW on their field.

2 hours ago, Ico83 said:

I have to reluctantly admit that you are right. But we have seen it coming since the moment in which FFG decided to quit on boardgames to compete with GW on their field.

But all their games of that genre were moved over to Atomic Mass. It should also be noted that in the interview Horvath stated that Asmodee is consolidating its RPGs under one studio based in Europe by the end of the year. I don't know that that has actually happened yet, it could have been disrupted by the pandemic, but it's clear that Asmodee is doing a massive restructure.

I can think of a few directions that this whole thing could go. The forums are tied to Asmodee accounts, so this could even be FFG splitting for Asmodee the same way Plaid Hat did. We won't know until it happens.