Custom Hero - Aurora [Maze of the Drakon]

By AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Impressive figure conversion. I wished I could do the same

Play-tests:

I already played multiple games with various people as and against Aurora.

This hero is quite easy to play , but it's necessary for player to utilize fatigue movement with rest actions to full-fill her potential.
Her 5 Stamina is awesome! You usually make fatigue move 4 spaces, attack action where you spend remaining 1 fatigue on class skill and perform a rest action to charge your Hero Ability.

She is very squishy with only 8 Health and you should always stay with the group. Her 5 stamina come at a price of small health.

Having guaranteed Surges is great and especially works nicely when you are blasting multiple enemies.
It's quite common to gather more than 2 token on the ability, which is extremely useful by the end of the encounter. It's very nice that you keep the tokens even when you are knocked-out and between encounter transition - it's good counter against overlord which collects cards just for the second encounter. On the other hand, Overlord can counter her ability nicely with Uncontrolled Power (+ Beffudle ).

Her heroic can serve as good finisher for heavily damaged monsters, awesome single target snipe and occasionally have even greater potential in some special situations.
Guaranteed up-to 4 damage which overlord can't prevent is useful. It have nice synergy with Spiritspeaker skill Shared Paint which allows you to easily kill group of monsters. It's also great with Stun weapons like Disciple starting weapon Iron Mace , which allows you to waste monster attack action (since they usually doesn't want to die in the lava). As Runemaster you can learn Runic Sorcery and start sniping single targets down with Immobilized + Heroic combo. However Overlord can counter that with Dark Remedy . Power level is not that high and especially in ACT II you will play missions where you simply don't use it at all, but that doesn't matter, because her stats and ability are great.

I am very happy with the multiple play-tests results and I will no longer make changes to this hero - she is finished! She fulfills mage role nicely and is great replacement for commonly used mages Widow Tarha and High Mage Quellen .

Edited by AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark

After multiple play-tests I had to include 2 balance changes to her Heroic Feat. We already played with them and those are last changes she will receive. She is " finished " as Ravvis and Ocvist .

From: " Each figure suffers 1 Heart for each marked space it occupies "
To: " Each figure in a marked space suffers 1 Heart. "
As mage she is already good against multiple small enemies (blast exists), she is great against single target (snipe with Immobilize + heroic combo), but she also used to be great against huge and massive monsters. Guaranteed 4 damage to a single monster was too much, for example you could immediately kill ACT 1 Merriod. It was better than Wildlander 3xp skill Black Arrow which deal 3 damage bypass. Also there is 3xp Disciple skill Radiant Light which might also deal up-to 3 damage (not 4!). Since she already have great ability and good stats, this nerf is appropriate. Her heroic is more situational now, but still playable.

From: " Quest related figures on them discard Immobilized condition at the start of their turn. "
To: " Quest-related figures ignore the end turn effect of marked spaces. "
In multiple scenarios there were situations which could break the quest completely. Game is not exactly ready for bypassing direct damage dealt and immediately defeating the figure. Therefore such figures are immune to Lava end turn effect: " Any figure that ends its turn in a lava space is immediately defeated. ".

Even with those changes, Heroic is still playable and can be excellent in some situations. It's still nice finisher, good in combination with Spiritspeaker skill Shared Pain and Immobilize + heroic combo is great against targets like Ironbound .

Printed final card and lava again - previous print turned out too red for some reason, now it's much more matching.

_bg_new.jpg?pub_secret=91c59f9fbf

She never discard the hero token she gains from resting ?

12 minutes ago, rugal said:

She never discard the hero token she gains from resting ?

This is already written in the FAQ section at the beginning:

On 2/3/2020 at 12:12 PM, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

Can I have multiple hero tokens on the ability?
Yes.

Do I discard hero tokens from the ability when I am defeated or between encounters transition?
No, you keep them.

Can I discard multiple hero tokens in one attack?
Yes, attack result will gain X Surges where X is number of hero tokens you choose to discard.

Of course you start new scenario with 0 tokens at the ability, same way like with every skill and ability.

You have strange wording in your abilities sometimes, so it confuses me.

correct wording should be :

Each time you perform a rest action, put 1 of your hero's hero token on your hero sheet.

Each time you perform an attack, after dice are rolled, you may discard any number of hero tokens from your hero sheet to add that much [surge] on the attack results

But maybe it doesn't fit on the hero box ?

Edited by rugal
2 hours ago, rugal said:

You have strange wording in your abilities sometimes, so it confuses me.

correct wording should be :

Each time you perform a rest action, put 1 of your hero's hero token on your hero sheet.

Each time you perform an attack, after dice are rolled, you may discard any number of hero tokens from your hero sheet to add that much [surge] on the attack results

But maybe it doesn't fit on the hero box ?

I am sorry, that you have trouble with English. There is nothing wrong with the current version and verbage is explained in the first post and in the thread.

Your sentences are correct, except that you should also include " at the end of your turn " in the first sentence - Aurora shouldn't receive hero token immediately after the rest action and also she shouldn't receive 2 hero tokens with 2 rest actions in her turn.

4 minutes ago, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

I am sorry, that you have trouble with English. There is nothing wrong with the current version and verbage is explained in the first post and in the thread.

Your sentences are correct, except that you should also include " at the end of your turn " in the first sentence - Aurora shouldn't receive hero token immediately after the rest action and also she shouldn't receive 2 hero tokens with 2 rest actions in her turn.

You take liberties with the wording of the game.

Whatever, it looks like too strong to me, and except few stranges cases, a hero never do 2 rest actions at the same turn.

bossepainter 🧙 ✨

bossepainter_aurora.jpg?pub_secret=f2d7e