Custom Hero - Aurora [Maze of the Drakon]

By AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Topic moved to BoardGameGeek!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2567593/aurora-custom-hero-maze-drakon

en_aurora_front.jpg?pub_secret=60bcf2d0c8 en_aurora_back.jpg?pub_secret=e5b8e244f3
lava_tile_3.jpg?pub_secret=f0bc828815 lava_tile_1.jpg?pub_secret=bec13c8149
lava_tile_2.jpg?pub_secret=cb8954e951 lava_tile_4.jpg?pub_secret=b40d901dad

Czech version:
aurora_front.jpg?pub_secret=7e423e44d4 aurora_back.jpg?pub_secret=5066887e79
lava_tile_3.jpg?pub_secret=f0bc828815 lava_tile_1.jpg?pub_secret=bec13c8149
lava_tile_2.jpg?pub_secret=cb8954e951 lava_tile_4.jpg?pub_secret=b40d901dad

maze_of_the_drakon.png?pub_secret=526617

This hero (3/5) is part of the custom expansion Maze of the Drakon
this hero is finished , read about the play-tests here

maze_of_the_drakon_original.png?pub_secr

_bg_new.jpg?pub_secret=91c59f9fbf _0.jpg?pub_secret=e34dc62055

FAQ:

Can I have multiple hero tokens on the ability?
Yes.

Do I discard hero tokens from the ability when I am defeated or between encounters transition?
No, you keep them.

Can I discard multiple hero tokens in one attack?
Yes, attack result will gain X Surges where X is number of hero tokens you choose to discard.

What does Lava do?
Lava is type of Terrain described in the base game rules:
" A figure entering a space containing lava immediately suffers one damage. Any figure that ends its turn in a lava space is immediately defeated. Heroes that are defeated in this way place their hero token in the nearest empty space (from where they were defeated) that does not contain lava. A large monster is immediately defeated only if all spaces it occupies are lava spaces. "

How do I mark the space?
You place Lava token (marker) to a selected space.

Does Figures on marked spaces suffers 1 damage from Lava and therefore Small Figures suffers 2 damage in total?
No, since they are not entering new space. This work exactly same as Hive Defense from master Broodwalker where you also don't suffer 1 damage from a Hazzard space, when he is moving around you.

Does Large Figures like Ettin suffers 4 damage if I mark all spaces under him?
No, figure suffers only 1 damage no matter how many marked spaces it occupies.

Does Figures on marked spaces are immediately defeated from Lava?
No, only Figure that ends its turn on Lava is defeated.

Can I mark Water / Pit and other spaces with Terrain and therefore turn them into Lava?
Yes you can mark them, but these spaces doesn't lose their original Terrain type - they are ALSO treated as a Lava.

Does marked spaces have to be adjacent to each other?
No, they just need to be within 3 spaces of you.

What does "Quest-related figures" mean?
Those are figures (usually monsters) that affects or are affected by the scenario - e.g. named monsters like Mauler, Urthko, special figures like Celia, Nerekhall guards, but those could also be regular monsters which heroes must kill in order to win the encounter, and more.

About:

I am integrating heroes from FFG Drakon 4th , which includes two heroes from the Descent box & rules art - Knight and Ranger and also great proxy for Tyrus . I wrap them under custom expansion "Maze of the Drakon" . Goal here is to make them interesting as much as possible, bringing something new to the game - I would rather have them weak with something new than overpowered.

Ravvis the Ranger and Ocvist the Dragonslayer are done so let's continue with the Sorceress, mage archetype. Since her mini seems like female version of the Leoric of the Book , I would match stats and abilities with him. Some AOE heroic attack and squishy stats - introducing something new, specifically terrain modification.

It would be much appreciated, if you leave any feedback, suggestion, find typo, fix bad wording, anything.

Artwork:

Like always, we have ugly art from the Drakon and then nothing else. I decided to find some better picture and ended up with the awesome artwork from Aurore Folny , FFG artist which made artworks for games like Arkham Horror, Imperial Assault, Android: Netrunner and more.

I flipped the image to match miniature (book in left hand, staff in right), made colors more live, shorten the staff, removed stars from her face, removed long eyelashes, painted the eye make up, removed amulet from her chest (painted breasts connection), removed handbag, removed scrolls (painted bottom) and made much more minor tweaks like extended belt size and golden line. I am verry happy with the final result .

artwork_change.gif?pub_secret=f474986245

To create lava tiles, I found artist of the Descent tiles - Henning Ludvigsen and I matched his published artwork with quest vault tiles (12B & 35B). Then I painted missing parts and created transition between them - so they connect nicely together as you can see bellow:

12b.gif?pub_secret=b33da331c9 35b.gif?pub_secret=a0a94c78ca

coonection.jpg?pub_secret=1140931a50 coonection_noborder.jpg?pub_secret=2a0c7

Name:

FFG didn't name her, so I came up with name based on the artwork artist Aurore Folny

Aurora

Name fit's nicely with other mages like Astarra , Challara , Lyssa and being named after polar lights is just fancy.

Fluff text:

β€œIn the end, everything will burn!”

Since her attributes are based on Mad Carthos (CK) and her heroic is literally burning everything, this quote seems to be on point.

Biography:

We have nothing .

However she fits nicely into description of Geomancer :
A Geomancer is a wizard dedicated to the elemental power of earth. A skilled Geomancer can use the earth below his enemies against them, wielding lava and stone at his whim. The Geomancer is also able to summon a stone sentry to do his bidding.

Idea is, that she lust for power and want Drakon gold for some reason. She is slowly becoming mad.

Yet to be written.

Stats:

Since she is holding and reading a book, she is definitely not a runner and therefore mobility should be at 4 (3 is basically just for dwarfs).

4 Speed, 8 Health, 5 Stamina, 1 Gray defense.

Exactly same stats as Leoric of the Book , Ravaella Lightfoot . Squishy stats with good stamina - which is great for mages.
In comparison: we have orc Widow Tarha with 4 10 4 Gray and Astarra with premium stats 4 10 5 gray.

Attributes:

It's common for mages to have big Knowledge and she shouldn't be an exception. Well, she even study on the battlefield. I consider 5 Knowledge reserved for the old mages like Leoric of the Book , High Mage Quellen and Master Thorn so I decided to go with 4 .

1 Might, 4 Willpower, 4 Knowledge, 2 Awareness.

Exactly same as Mad Carthos (CK), Brother Gherinn and Astarra .

Hero Ability:

General idea is that when she is resting, she is preparing a spell. Basically became focused like in the Imperial Assault.

If you have not moved or performed a rest action during this turn, place your hero token here [on this ability] at the end of your turn , if there is not any .
Each time you perform an attack, after dice are rolled, you may add 1 Surge to the results for each hero token you discard [from this ability] .
[When you perform an attack,] After dice are rolled, you may spend that hero token to add 2 Surges to your attack roll.
- changed words to match used phrases ("spend hero token" to "discard hero token")
- removed "not moved" part to simplify the ability
- nerfed from 2 Surges to 1
- buffed by removing "one token at the time" limitation
- changed second sentence wording to be based on Thaiden Mistpeak instead of Sir Valadir

Instead of adding additional die to the attack and then having ability wasted due to X on the blue die, I decided to add Surge(s) to the results which fits the mage theme nicely.

Similar abilities:
Landrec the Wise : Each time you attack and do not roll at least 1 Surge, gain 1 Surge.
Runemaster - Rune Mastery : When you attack with a Rune weapon, you may exhaust this card to add 1 Surge to the results.
Berserker - Weapon Mastery : Each time you perform an attack with either 1 Melee weapon with 2 Hand icons or 2 Melee weapons with 1 hand icon each, you may exhaust this card to add 1 Surge to the results.

Text is based on Syndrael and Thaiden Mistpeak :
Syndrael : If you have not moved during this turn, you recover 2 Fatigue at the end of your turn.
Thaiden Mistpeak : Each time you perform an attack, after dice are rolled, you may cancel the attack and immediately search a search token within 3 spaces of you.

Heroic Feat:

Fire Breath Heroic which affects terrain:

Action: Mark up to 4 spaces within 3 spaces of you. Until the start of your next turn, these spaces are treated [by all Figures] as Lava spaces. Each figure in a marked space [immediately] suffers 1 Heart.
Quest-related figures ignore the end turn effect of marked spaces.

Action: Starting with the space within 3 spaces of you, trace a path of 4 spaces in any direction. Until the start of your next turn, all non-terrain spaces on this path are turned into Lava spaces. Lieutenants on these spaces ignores Immobilized condition.
- removed Fire Breath description to simplify the text, it is also a buff since spaces no longer have to be next to each other
- added direct damage, because Figures doesn't immediately suffers damage from the Lava (they are not entering new space)
- replaced "changing spaces" with "treading spaces" to match Broodwalker s. With that change also normal (non-terrain) spaces limitation has been removed, because original Terrain type of the space is no longer replaced
- instead of removing "Immobilizing" condition, all quest-related figures cannot be defeated by the end turn lava effect

You deal up-to 4 guaranteed damage and every figure ending it's turn on a Lava space is defeated. It's great as the finisher of heavily damaged monsters, snipe of single targets (with help of Immobilized condition) and offers much more unique situations to the game. For example you could block objective token from Goblins or if there are melee monsters with 4 speed and within 5 spaces of you, you could mark spaces next to you and therefore they wouldn't be able to move and attack you - otherwise they would be defeated.

It's great with Stunned , because monsters on lava spaces will have to decide if it's better to attack and die or waste attack action and just move. Synergy with Ashrian and many items and skills with Stun .
It's awesome with Immobilized which you can easily get when playing Geomancer with Statis Rune or Runemaster with Runic Sorcery .

Quest-related figures cannot be defeated from end turn effect of lava to prevent breaking of some scenarios.

Similar abilities:
Broodwalker - Hive Defense : Heroes treat each space adjacent to this monster as a Hazard space.
Spiritspeaker - Shared Pain : Action: Perform an attack. If you deal at least 1 Heart (after rolling defense dice), each other figure in the target's monster group suffers 1 Heart.
Leoric of the Book : Action: Perform an attack with a Magic weapon. This attack ignores range and targets each figure adjacent to you. 1 attack roll is made but each figure rolls defense dice separately.

In consideration was:
Add option to choose change of spaces between Lava and "Frost"/"Ice"/"Freeze" terrain (other side of the "lava" token).
It would add more text, which is unwanted and also it would have to introduce new rules for this type of terrain - which means that it wouldn't be immediately understandable what does hero do without reading the new rules.

Change into Water / Sludge spaces instead of Lava.
Less interesting, we already have movements modifying heroics on mages: Shiver and Dezra the Vile .

Change into Pit spaces instead of Lava.
That could be true passage blockade and would alter some quests heavily. Basically stronger version of Ashrian heroic.

Trace a path of X (2-6) spaces.
Number of traced spaces was decided to match Fire Breath .

Deal X Heart for each occupied marked space by the figure.
Guaranteed 4 damage to a single large monster was way too strong, since you could immediately snipe Merriod in ACT I and easily take down all the huge and massive monsters.

Thank you for your time reading this ❀️ .
https://instagram.com/awesometree_in_the_dark/

Edited by AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark

I LOVE the artwork you find really.

You didn't find the original artwork ?

The ability is strangely worded : should be something like "Each time you perfom a rest action, place 1 of your hero token on your hero sheet. You can hold only 1 hero token at a time. Discard that hero token when you perfom an attack to add 2 surge to the attack results"

By the way, 2 looks like too much. Only 1 ?

Feat is interresting I like the idea but I don't see the real point. Usually monsters will avoid it and it will be trouble for heroes in fact. Maybe this could be an overlord class but I keep bad experiences from the 1st edition with tokens everywhere. What about just rolling 1 red die and dealing that much heart to all figures on the path ? (A bit weak indeed)

Rugal, thank you once more for your feedback! It's so much welcome! Druid hero is also in progress, don't you worry! 😁

48 minutes ago, rugal said:

I LOVE the artwork you find really.

You didn't find the original artwork ?

Post is full of links! You can find link in the artwork section and here , 6 hero from the top. :)

The ability is strangely worded : should be something like "Each time you perfom a rest action, place 1 of your hero token on your hero sheet. You can hold only 1 hero token at a time. Discard that hero token when you perfom an attack to add 2 surge to the attack results"

I made some compromises to reduce text size, e.g. not including "At the end of your turn" and "When you perform an attack".
Text is directly based on Syndrael and Sir Valadir abilities.
Syndrael: If you have not moved [ +or performed a rest action ] during this turn, ... [ place your hero token on this ability, if there is not any ]
Sir Valadir: ... after dice are rolled, you may ... [ spend that hero token ] ... to add ... [ 2 ] ... Surge to your attack roll .

I use "spend" instead of "discard" / "remove" for Hero Token since it felt more natural - it's a trade-off after all.

But maybe you are right (you are definitely not wrong!) and wording should be tweaked.

By the way, 2 looks like too much. Only 1 ?

After play-test I will know better, however 1 felt like too little since it's not triggering every turn and not that often (from Syndrael experience). Keep also in mind that heroic and stats are not premium, so ability doesn't have to be that weak.

There is much better ability:
Landrec the Wise : Each time you attack and do not roll at least 1 Surge, gain 1 Surge.

And it's still much weaker then Widow Tarha re-roll each turn.

Feat is interresting I like the idea but I don't see the real point. Usually monsters will avoid it and it will be trouble for heroes in fact. Maybe this could be an overlord class but I keep bad experiences from the 1st edition with tokens everywhere. What about just rolling 1 red die and dealing that much heart to all figures on the path ? (A bit weak indeed)

Well in small corridor you could make blockade with lava and heroes at the end. Making right calculation, monsters can't get to you, or you will screw their objective run. It's not strongest thing in the world, but it's definitely interesting and game changing. It will not be always easy to avoid it - especially with crowded situations.

Can't wait for the druid !

Not moving is nothing to compare with rest actions. Rest actions happens many time during a quest. Not moving at least 1 space is occassionnal. On top of that mage usually needs many fatigues so they do many rest actions more than any other achetype.

Let me know what you see from tests with her feat but I'm almost sure it will be fun but useless

Her feat looks cool but useless.
At most it will amount to 2 hp on a melee monster...
If the tokens remained for the whole quest, not just one turn, it could be a bit more interesting.

But in either case, I'm sure it can break some quests. Aren't there quests that require monsters/lieutenants to be placed in specific spaces?

Also, "ignoring" a condition makes no sense, thematically, and is omething you don't find elsewhere in the rules. If anything it'd be best to have something like "Any lieutenant in these spaces discard any immovilized token they may have and cannot be immovilized while in this space".

it's still messy, though.

I think a much more useful and balanced option, with the same theme, would be to give her a "regular" fire breath, like that of monsters. Something like:

"Activate this feat when you perform an attack with a Magic weapon, after throwing the dice. Trace a path of 4 spaces starting from the target space; all miniatures within the path are affected by the attack"

As a bonus, this new feat comboes nicely with the hero ability, being able to do devastating attacks in planned carefully.

23 hours ago, rugal said:

Not moving is nothing to compare with rest actions. Rest actions happens many time during a quest. Not moving at least 1 space is occassionnal. On top of that mage usually needs many fatigues so they do many rest actions more than any other achetype.

You are right, I think that ability will trigger probably once per two turns.
It would make sense to me to add +1 surge if ability was something like: "Once per turn, after dice are rolled, you may add 1 Surge to your attack roll." - which is basically stronger Sir Valadir.
Since it's not every turn, +2 surge makes sense to me.

23 hours ago, rugal said:

Let me know what you see from tests with her feat but I'm almost sure it will be fun but useless

Fun and bring something new to the game is the goal here. Not aiming for overpowered hero.

7 hours ago, ssorgatem said:

Her feat looks cool but useless.
At most it will amount to 2 hp on a melee monster...

Well it's not strongest thing in the world, but it's definitely not just useless.

For example, if monsters with 4 speed and melee attack are 4 spaces away from you, you can turn spaces next to you into lava and it will prevent them from going to you and attacking you - since they would be defeated for ending their turn in the lava. Also you can guarantee kill monsters with 1 hp left and it have great synergy with Stun and Immobilized conditions.

If the tokens remained for the whole quest, not just one turn, it could be a bit more interesting.

That would be interesting, but that would be changing every quest and ruining the game.

But in either case, I'm sure it can break some quests. Aren't there quests that require monsters/lieutenants to be placed in specific spaces?

Well, I don't know how it would break them. It doesn't matter if monsters are placed via reinforcements at the lava spaces, since they have to end their activation on the lava spaces to be defeated - and taking one damage isn't really quest breaker.

Also, "ignoring" a condition makes no sense, thematically, and is omething you don't find elsewhere in the rules. If anything it'd be best to have something like "Any lieutenant in these spaces discard any immovilized token they may have and cannot be immovilized while in this space".

it's still messy, though.

This is just for the balance reason without changing rules of the core game - I didn't want to make this lava special with different rules from regular lava. It would ruin the game, if mage alone could just walk to an Avric, Immobilize him with the attack and let him die in the lava.

Initially I wanted to change "immobilized" to "stun" condition for lieutenants, but problem with the hero cards is that there is very little space - so it have to be as simple as possible. Compromises have to be made and design must be simple. Your sentence is long as the whole heroic feat.

And they keep the immobilized condition, they just cannot be bounded in the lava.

I think a much more useful and balanced option, with the same theme, would be to give her a "regular" fire breath, like that of monsters. Something like:

"Activate this feat when you perform an attack with a Magic weapon, after throwing the dice. Trace a path of 4 spaces starting from the target space; all miniatures within the path are affected by the attack"

As a bonus, this new feat comboes nicely with the hero ability, being able to do devastating attacks in planned carefully.

Yes, that's much stronger. However it's nothing original or interesting - not bringing anything new to the game. She would just be strong mage, meh.

3 minutes ago, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

And they keep the immobilized condition, they just cannot be bounded in the lava.

But since they "ignore" the condition, and the condition is removed at the end of the activation regardless, thay just means they will be "immovilized" but walking around normally, which makes no sense, with no difference with just not being immovilized (except that they cannot get immovilized *again*).

This is because when doing a move action, a miniature gains all move points at once, before moving. And since they won't be "getting" immovilized again, they won't lose them after leaving the lava space.

And the text doesn't include special quest characters; quests including them would be very easily broken when the heroes' goal is to defeat them...

2 hours ago, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

Yes, that's much stronger. However it's nothing original or interesting - not bringing anything new to the game. She would just be strong mage, meh.

Well, Fire Breath is an Overlord-exclusive ability. Letting a hero use it is new.

Also turning spaces into lava is not exactly new either: that's what master Broodwalkers do (and they are accordingly nerfed in speed and survivability because of how strong of an effect that is).

What is new is requiring extra tokens to mess with, which I'm not a fan of.

It could work by using hero tokens instead, though, like other feats do...

21 minutes ago, ssorgatem said:

But since they "ignore" the condition, and the condition is removed at the end of the activation regardless, thay just means they will be "immovilized" but walking around normally, which makes no sense, with no difference with just not being immovilized (except that they cannot get immovilized *again*).

This is because when doing a move action, a miniature gains all move points at once, before moving. And since they won't be "getting" immovilized again, they won't lose them after leaving the lava space.

And the text doesn't include special quest characters; quests including them would be very easily broken when the heroes' goal is to defeat them...

Well, Fire Breath is an Overlord-exclusive ability. Letting a hero use it is new.

Also turning spaces into lava is not exactly new either: that's what master Broodwalkers do (and they are accordingly nerfed in speed and survivability because of how strong of an effect that is).

I am according to this : ignoring immobilize is strange and will occur many weird situations.

I too am not a fan of puting tokens all over the board.

Some heroes and some monsters have their unique abilities and it should stay that way.

3 hours ago, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:
22 hours ago, rugal said:

You are right, I think that ability will trigger probably once per two turns.
It would make sense to me to add +1 surge if ability was something like: "Once per turn, after dice are rolled, you may add 1 Surge to your attack roll." - which is basically stronger Sir Valadir.
Since it's not every turn, +2 surge makes sense to me.

But that's nothing to be compared with.

And having + 2 surges on a single attack is far more stronger than having only 1 on each. On top of that, you will be granted those by making an action that you will definitely do at a time or another, not like you would spend the action especially for this.

2 hours ago, ssorgatem said:

You are right. We need to come up with different wording or balance it differently.

Special quest characters could be also problem and therefore should be included somehow.

EDIT: Maybe get rid of Immobilized for everyone, e.g. " Figures Monsters on these spaces cannot be Immobilized. ".
To handle it more safely and avoid confusion with "Do I lose Immobilized condition if I had it before lava spaces were created?":
" Figures Monsters on these spaces discard Immobilized condition at the start of their turn. "

EDIT2: "Monsters" instead of "Figures" because otherwise you could free friendly hero from immobilized condition with the heroic.

2 hours ago, ssorgatem said:

Also turning spaces into lava is not exactly new either: that's what master Broodwalker s do (and they are accordingly nerfed in speed and survivability because of how strong of an effect that is).

Fire breath is just fancy way of multi-target attack and I don't think we need another one, since mages already have Exploding Rune and characters like Widow Tarha and Leoric of the Book target multiple targets with it's heroic.
Also Runemaker Tara from SotP uses modified version of Fire breath.

You are right with Broodwalkers.

Well it's visually more appealing to look at 25x25mm lava tiles instead of placing hero tokens. Also you can much easily place it under figure, it's still visible and it's clear what's happening.

1 hour ago, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

You are right. We need to come up with different wording or balance it differently.

Special quest characters could be also problem and therefore should be included somehow.

EDIT: Maybe get rid of Immobilized for everyone, e.g. " Figures Monsters on these spaces cannot be Immobilized. ".
To handle it more safely and avoid confusion with "Do I lose Immobilized condition if I had it before lava spaces were created?":
" Figures Monsters on these spaces discard Immobilized condition at the start of their turn. "

EDIT2: "Monsters" instead of "Figures" because otherwise you could free friendly hero from immobilized condition with the heroic.

Fire breath is just fancy way of multi-target attack and I don't think we need another one, since mages already have Exploding Rune and characters like Widow Tarha and Leoric of the Book target multiple targets with it's heroic.
Also Runemaker Tara from SotP uses modified version of Fire breath.

You are right with Broodwalkers.

Well it's visually more appealing to look at 25x25mm lava tiles instead of placing hero tokens. Also you can much easily place it under figure, it's still visible and it's clear what's happening.

It won't change anything, you can still immobilize monsters before you do your feat.

2 hours ago, rugal said:

It won't change anything, you can still immobilize monsters before you do your feat.

That second sentence cover that situation: "Monsters on these spaces discard Immobilized condition at the start of their turn."

24 minutes ago, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

That second sentence cover that situation: "Monsters on these spaces discard Immobilized condition at the start of their turn."

But I insist, I don't think that having a monster immobilized in those space is so strong. The Overlord can buy some cards to avoid this and feat/abilities/surge that immobilize are few

On 2/4/2020 at 7:46 PM, rugal said:

But I insist, I don't think that having a monster immobilized in those space is so strong. The Overlord can buy some cards to avoid this and feat/abilities/surge that immobilize are few

Yes, list is very short:

Heroes: Shiver [heroic], Dezra the Vile [heroic], Thaiden Mistpeak [heroic]
Class skills: Berseker - Cripple , Thief - Caltrops , Psychics - Overload , EDIT: Runemaster - Runic Sorcery
Items: Ice Storm [Act 2], Stalker - Black Widow's Web , Geomancer - Stasis Rune

Biggest issue is with Geomancer starting item Stasis Rune which also have great synergy with Aurora ability.

Having a monster immobilized in those spaces is fine, problem is with bosses and quest monsters (like Urthko, Mauler, etc.) - I don't know how to include them... e.g. "monsters with name" is stupid, "lieutenants and monsters affected by the quest rules" too long :D

One quest in the game tells about this :

"named monsters"

11 hours ago, rugal said:

One quest in the game tells about this :

"named monsters"

Awesome! I updated hero card with that and also changed ability to charge only from rest action to keep it more simple.

10 hours ago, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

Awesome! I updated hero card with that and also changed ability to charge only from rest action to keep it more simple.

Don't forget that Lieutenants are not named monsters, they are lieutenants

17 minutes ago, rugal said:

Don't forget that Lieutenants are not named monsters, they are lieutenants

Well Lieuteants are monsters ( https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1117861/article/14860236#14860236 ) when we are not specifically talking about minion/master monsters. So I would assume that they are also under category Named monsters.

Nope, they are not. You have monsters separated this way :

minor monster

master monster

lieutenant

Agent (treated as master monster but some plot deck cards refers as it specificaly)

named monster (monsters with "name" from some quests and with special rules)

5 hours ago, rugal said:

Nope, they are not. You have monsters separated this way :

minor monster

master monster

lieutenant

Agent (treated as master monster but some plot deck cards refers as it specificaly)

named monster (monsters with "name" from some quests and with special rules)

I am not convicted with the named monsters category.

"Na med monsters" were in 1st edition rules, but they are not in 2st and it would make sense that named monster category also includes agents and lieutants. All I could find is that lieutants in 1st were also named monsters, e.g.:

7 hours ago, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

Does Figures on Lava spaces from Heroic Feat suffer 1 damage from Lava?
Yes
, even that it's not directly written on the Heroic Feat due to simplicity, every Figure on changed space count's as entering that new space.

Even for big monsters?

What happens if a monster spreads over more than one space covered by the path? does that count as the monster entering each of those, getting as much of 4 damage for a single large monster?

Or can big/large/huge monsters ignore it as long as not all of their spaces are transformed, as they do with regular lava?

If the monster is considered to "enter that space", does that trigger other abilities and effects that trigger on a monster entering a space?

4 hours ago, rugal said:

Well that doesn't prove your point and there are just two named monsters mentioned.

4 hours ago, ssorgatem said:

Even for big monsters?

Ssorgatem, thank you so much, you are asking the right questions!

I updated the FAQ.

What happens if a monster spreads over more than one space covered by the path? does that count as the monster entering each of those, getting as much of 4 damage for a single large monster?

Or can big/large/huge monsters ignore it as long as not all of their spaces are transformed, as they do with regular lava?

Well since this is brand new situation not covered by the rules, we need to decide what would be the best. We actually transform spaces, which count's as entering new spaces, instead of just treating existing spaces differently (Broodwalker abilities).

I think most reasonable is to make it enter new space just once:
No matter if one or more occupied spaces by the Figure are changed, Figure count's as entering new space only once - suffering 1 damage.

Therefore heroic needs to transform just one space under the medium/huge/massive monster to deal 1 damage.

However It would be nice buff, if it could deal up to 4 damage to a single large monster.

If the monster is considered to "enter that space", does that trigger other abilities and effects that trigger on a monster entering a space?

Yes! However I read through monster abilities and didn't find one that triggers when monster enters new space.

By the way, you can create nice bath for Fire Imps wirh Aurora heroic, since they have awesome Flame Fiend ability.

Hmm this means you would always need to trace 4 spaces, would it be more interesting to write it as "up to 4 spaces"?

I understand it is gamebreaking on already Immobilized (named) monsters, but removing the Immobilized condition at start of turn is kinda strange eh... interaction. Can't think of anything more befitting though.

Have you considered inflicting the Burning condition or somekind of Aura/Fire Wall instead of playing around with lava mechanics? I like the conjuring up a barrier idea, it's just the lava mechanic that's a bit fiddly.

On 2/6/2020 at 7:47 PM, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

Yes! However I read through monster abilities and didn't find one that triggers when monster enters new space.

Not monsters, but some heroes/classes do.

So, if you have a Massive monster, and the lava path covers 3 spaces under it... which one space does it "enter"? The first one? The last one? The one the hero chooses? The one the overlor chooses?
Also, if it enters that space, per the rules, it would be able to re-expand again, possibly changing which spaces it occupies; just like what happens when a big monster is moved by a hero effect/ability, only this time it's moved to the lava space.