Destiny has now met its destiny, FFG has just killed the game off

By KnightHammer, in Star Wars: Destiny

Too many CCGs for another, especially at the rate of errata and the burst of expansions/power creep.

2 hours ago, Rebelspartan said:

Ouch! Didn't hear that. Armada is the other game I hear is not doing well. So I am sure it will be a matter of time.

Armada isn't doing bad. The SSD was #9 most sold (by pieces!) tabletop item on miniature market. Clone Wars is coming for Armada this year, too. And there are rumors about an Armada 2.0 for this or next year.

1 minute ago, Staelwulf said:

Armada isn't doing bad. The SSD was #9 most sold (by pieces!) tabletop item on miniature market. Clone Wars is coming for Armada this year, too. And there are rumors about an Armada 2.0 for this or next year.

Now if only they could keep certain ships in stock (looking at you Imperial Light Cruisers)

Part of me was expecting this. The game just has too many unused cards. It is obvious in any tcg/ccg that there will be better cards than others but the ratio of used:unused is just staggering. It was a fun game to play casually and now I'm happy I never bought boxes for this game.

I wonder if coolstuffinc knew about this and that's the reason for the sale

Edited by toxic newb

Judging from the lack of sales or gaming events, I expect Keyforge to have another year at most. However, Destiny seems to be a little like Games Workshops idea of "gig" games, that last for a short time only, and are never meant to stay around for years and years.

Looking at how L5R LCG crashed and burned too, I imagine you simply cant go up vs. Magic in the competitive arena these days, thus the cooperative stuff being much better.

I honestly can’t say how deeply seeing this hurts. Business is business, but as a customer and gamer, it’s not business for me. I want to have fun. And every single time I’ve invested my time and effort and joy in one of your products, FFG, you’ve killed it soon thereafter. You aren’t killing a product, your actually killing my joy in gaming. So, FFG, with this announcement, you’ve also killed any of my future interest in any of your games. I simply can’t trust you anymore. I’m going to find a company that invests in the joy of their gamers in the long term. Something you simply have failed to do. All you seem to want is money, but that decision means you won’t be getting any more of mine.

It’s really too bad we won’t get a set based on Rise of Skywalker. So many people and ideas we’ll never see now.

This game was released in 2016?

The fact that I remember it like it was yesterday makes me feel old.

12 hours ago, KnightHammer said:

Team Covenant just pulled a **** move, they will not accept cancellations on the final set

If they have not charged your card yet you can always have your bank put a stop payment on them or block. If paid with a card just get a new card due to loss

KeyForge isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They fully own the IP, so they're not paying for licensing. Also, it's their fastest selling product ever.

Edited by OsramTaleka

I loved playing destiny. That is all I can say, FFG you have lost a loyal customer.

18 hours ago, wagnerml2 said:

I invested heavily in this game. First FFG I've played competatively. Traveled all over the country. The way FFG treated its community in Destiny is and was unforgivable. I will never play another FFG game again.

Good good, give in to your anger

To be honest, my enjoyment of the game had been lacking in the past few months. I think the fact that they were phasing out the older series as no longer tournament eligible played a big part in that. If I buy into a game, I want the first wave of products to be as good as the newest ones. X-Wing is a great example of that. The Empire is still my go-to faction, even thought we now have four new factions to play with.

19 hours ago, KnightHammer said:

Team Covenant just pulled a **** move, they will not accept cancellations on the final set

If you don't think Team Covenant didn't know this was coming you're fooling yourself. TC is hand in glove with FFG. They got playtest cards before releases and then would go to tournaments and compete with weeks or months more of prep-time than anyone else.

As for coolstuffinc - it definitely did make me do a double-take when their weekly sale was 50% off destiny singles a day before destiny dies - but I think if they'd known beforehand it would've been last weeks sale or even earlier - though they've been divesting themselves of destiny for quite a while.

I very seriously doubt TC knew this was happening. In their last podcast, they talked about the FFG firings and Zack mentioned many times how that means they can focus more on their big producers like the Co-op LCGs, Keyforge, X-wing, Legion, and Destiny. There's no way they knew this was coming from the discussions had in that podcast.

3 hours ago, Paladin Ignatius said:

To be honest, my enjoyment of the game had been lacking in the past few months. I think the fact that they were phasing out the older series as no longer tournament eligible played a big part in that. If I buy into a game, I want the first wave of products to be as good as the newest ones. X-Wing is a great example of that. The Empire is still my go-to faction, even thought we now have four new factions to play with.

I think this is an impossible task to ask of any developer. The game needs to find a footing in the early releases. New mechanics are eventually introduced. Each set or block of sets has a theme. Play styles evolve. Cards get reprinted in later sets. Power creep. It's why almost all CCGs have a rotation and multiple formats. X-Wing 1.0 had to be rebooted b/c nothing from the first few waves was viable. The closest thing from FFG is Armada but that is partly from only having 1-2 releases a year. Each faction only has 11 ships and the game was released in early 2015.

I'm sure licensing fees had something to do with this decision as well. They have to pay a mint to Disney to produce Star Wars card games and that raises the bar for something to be a success. KeyForge doesn't have this same burden, so it can exist even if it doesn't sell near as well as Destiny. Same really went for their LCG products on a lesser license deal. Personally, I think they dropped this because they didn't see the license fee for SW card games as something they could profit from anymore. They'd had two SW card games and both failed.

I do wonder if they've got future plans for the Destiny system. They spent a ton of resources investing in the ability to produce dice components with the card game. The equity they have in the game system and in the production of the system should be used somewhere else. Jeremy even mentioned working on other projects. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Marvel Destiny game pop up in the next year. I don't know if they Destiny players would come back, but they might. And, the new license would introduce the system to a ton of gamers not already jaded by Destiny's shortcomings.

22 hours ago, Staelwulf said:

Clone Wars is coming for Armada this year, too.

I think is a far more open question now than it was when it was announced last year... at that point in time, I'm sure everyone involved firmly believed Clone Wars was coming to Armada, but they probably didn't know/expect that Asmodee was gonna clean house, both in personnel and product lines.

44 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I think is a far more open question now than it was when it was announced last year... at that point in time, I'm sure everyone involved firmly believed Clone Wars was coming to Armada, but they probably didn't know/expect that Asmodee was gonna clean house, both in personnel and product lines.

In the back of my memory I'm almost certain Andrew Navarro mentioned GCW for Armada was more or less complete because they were running out of available ships and was a major reason why they announced Clone Wars era. Either from a Gencon presentation or his AMA? Really hoping the next wave is not the last. I want a Lucrehulk and swarms of droids.

5 hours ago, samh5621 said:

If you don't think Team Covenant didn't know this was coming you're fooling yourself. TC is hand in glove with FFG. They got playtest cards before releases and then would go to tournaments and compete with weeks or months more of prep-time than anyone else.

As for coolstuffinc - it definitely did make me do a double-take when their weekly sale was 50% off destiny singles a day before destiny dies - but I think if they'd known beforehand it would've been last weeks sale or even earlier - though they've been divesting themselves of destiny for quite a while.

I doubt Team Covenant knew exactly when this was coming but we all knew this was coming. Destiny hasn't been doing well at all and with the layoffs, will all the marginal and under preforming games are pretty much done. So yeah, people should be scared for Armada and Keyforge. I wouldn't go blaming Team Covenant for all of this either, even the presales. Chances are those products were ordered and paid for by TC and people did make a commitment to buy. I do blame FFG for making this announcement right before their last set hits the shelves and most likely after stores already purchased their stock. Why even make an announcement at all and not before your last set hits the street. There will be a lot of stores stuck with this dead set.

To those who are angry, I understand your anger but the fact that they have to pay a percentage of their income makes their decision justifiable. To make new or better games, they may have to cut down on some that a lot of people don't really play compared to keyforge, legion, and x-wing which seem to be their babies right now. There really is no good decision here. They just choose the best decision which was to stop production on a game that was more or less a liability than an asset. I understand your anger. I was extremely angry aswell and said the same things, "you lost a customer", never gonna buy an ffg game again". Give ffg a chance. They are trying to compete with wizards of the coast and other great game companies.

Edited by toxic newb
Grammatic error

Everyone,

Card games act like economic bubbles; they expand until bursting.

Look through the FFG catalogue. All of the old games burst.

For example, FFG developed and released Android Netrunner. It ran the tables for a few years then popped.

When you buy into a card game like Destiny, acknowledge that the company-supported scene will one day end.

If you want a game that will last until Kingdom Come, go get yourself a Pokedex and play Pokemon with the middle school kids.

If you want to have some fun, jump into the next, big game FFG will announce.

Funny thing is more then middle school kids play Pokémon or magic etc. just check CoolStuff in store pictures many adults play as well as collect and invest!!

5 hours ago, Mburnaugh64 said:

Funny thing is more then middle school kids play Pokémon or magic etc. just check CoolStuff in store pictures many adults play as well as collect and invest!!

Probably missing the point but ok

The point is that if you want a ccg that won't go away, your choices are Magic, Pokemon, or Yu Gi Oh. That's it. The rest last 5 years, tops. Accept it, or switch to a different type of game.