AMA with Alex Watkins

By FFGEvan, in News

I am aware that the Open Play kits have been abused by some unscrupulous store owners. This has involved withholding cards unless the player is a "regular", and limiting the award of cards to one per week or one per session.

What are the rules with regards to these cards? What are our rights on this as players? What mechanisms are in place inside, and outside, the US to report breaches?

L5R Question - OP prize kits were shifted from the Stronghold Kit models to the League kits last year with Clan Pack launch kits serving as the only "competitive" store level prize kits. Locally I've noticed a sharp drop in attendance at events since that change as the decrease in promo's from 1 per clan per event to the everyone gets the same promos means that whereas previously the 4 stores that supported the game locally could get people coming out to chase down the promos we are now seeing players getting their set from one store and then not having any incentive to attend events at other stores. Are their plans to offer more options for more competitive kits for stores to try and drive event attendance?

Hi Alex,

Here's a question for L5R LCG. Is it possible to get the cards that have been errated for balancing reasons as an OP casual store kits please? I think many local communities would appreciate because it is clearer and easier to get new people into the game.

thank you,

Edited by Sanjai L5R

I think that the currently proposed system of Seasonal (Open Play) -> Premium Seasonal (Casual Competitive) ->Store Championship (Casual Competitive) is a great idea, however the communication around release of those kits has been seriously lacking. The LGS that I play at received all of the 2019 kits for X-Wing & Legion in 2020 and the contents were a surprise to everyone.

The owner of this LGS relies on players, in the case of Legion and X-Wing that would be me, to let them know what kits to order. Since players are still tied to a LGS for these kits, which I understand, are there any plans in place to increase communications on the types of kits I mentioned above?

Additionally, can you speak to the issues that FFG has experienced with the OP kits in the past couple of years and why they have been sporadically released? What plans are in place to increase the reliability on receiving OP kits in the future?

Hi, when will we get more info about the vault warrior tournaments?

Two questions re: KeyForge Auction variant

1. Do you have plans to streamline auction events using technology (e.g. the Master Vault app)?

2. Can you confirm the proper way to choose in which order to auction the decks? I think the best way is to randomly choose a player, and have them choose a deck to bid 0 on - that way, if the best deck ends up auctioned last and going to the last player for 0 chains, at least everybody else could have chosen to bid on it earlier. However, the current formats and variants document says to randomly choose a deck, and have its owner automatically bid 0 to start; unfortunately, this can lead to people not having a chance to bid on the deck they want.

Two questions re: KeyForge Reversal variant

1. When will we see an Archon Reversal Vault Tour?

2. Have you considered any sort of reversal chainbound? Could we earn "reverse chains" in the future?

Could we someday get live event support on our devices? I'm imagining getting my pairing advertised to my through an app rather than crowding around a paper. I think live brackets would be a lot of fun for the community at large as well - especially people who couldn't make it to certain big events.

What is the intended cadence for Store Championship and Prime Championship events?

Regarding Keyforge Worlds:

1. Will there be a last chance qaulifier?

2. Do you know when tickets will go on sale?

3. What other events will run along side the main event?

If its possible to answer before AMA, it would be helpful as I and I am sure others, are planning trips for both Star Wars and Keyforge that week and need to book stuff right away.

Thanks as always Alex

We have heard no news since October regarding the Invocation Kits or the Fellowship Kits for 2019. Are they still being distributed?

When can stores outside U.S apply for prime championship for x-wing?

Edited by Andreas Karlsson

How much consideration has been given towards introducing a judge program for Keyforge?

Considering the game's popularity and appeal it would be prudent to have some sort of a verification for wanna be judges at all levels of play rather than rely on volunteers who don't necessarily know the ins and outs of the rules (the issues with which are not really for this AMA)

KeyForge Qs!

Will there be more leaderboard/local prizes for the stores? The unique decks are awesome, but it would be great to know what else. Unique keys/buttons/deck boxes?

Like at least a few others, I’m also interested in hearing more about an official judge program - this would help ensure a minimum level of ability and standardization for knowledge and officiating.

Last question - I’m speaking from complete obliviousness, but are there incentives for stores to run tournaments/events, outside of profiting on the tournaments and events? It seems that a high number of stores give up quickly.

Star Wars Destiny question,

Considering the issues OP has had with getting previous kits out to stores that only have cards and mats, how is OP prepared to get kits that include 180 cards and multiple dice to stores?

Hi Alex,

The next few weeks are a key period for Star Wars Destiny and for how long the playerbase will stay with the game. When can we get more of an elaboration around the final OP kit for the game?

Thanks,

daviohead

XWing

System Opens

Can we see a list of prize wall, um, prizes and their ticket costs?

Are the prize wall quantities going to be scaled to the size of the event?

I'm in the fortunate position of going to two Opens this year, if I have tickets left at the end of the first one can I use them at the second one?

UK Games Expo

Will there be an FFG OP tournament at this year's Expo?

Worlds

Is there a plan/intention/desire/vague notion* to ever host Worlds outside the US? (* Delete as applicable)

L5R related Question.

Here in my part of the World(Australia) we have a well known gaming convention in late January. Is there any interest in working with the community of players and realistically, retailers/importers in being able to plan significant events in the events 'off season'? (The post Worlds/Christmas lull)

Had another KeyForge question:

When will the World Championship invitations for the people who have the top 100 spaces on the Vault Tour Leaderboard be confirmed? I think everyone's just wanting to book transport in advance and not at the last minute. It'll affect 300 people (100 and their +2s) so it's quite a lot of people being left in limbo.

I have several questions, all relating to the Cooperative LCGs

1. Is it possible for the Coop LCGs (Marvel Champions, Arkham Horror, and Lord of the Rings) to Get seasonal/"league" kits?

2. Will there still be Invocation/Fellowship events for Arkham LCG and Lord of the Rings LCG? Will Marvel get a similar event?

I appreciate all everyone does to support the Coop LCGs and I hope it continues.

My FLGS (and all other stores I have contacted in Australia) is still waiting for the L5R 2019 Season 2 Premium Kit announced on Facebook on 4 June 2019. Any idea when they are going to be delivered?

With the cancellation of L5R Stronghold Kits, any news on where we will get the remaining 3 clan Imperial favor cards? Crab, Crane and Unicorn players would love to have the same pretty plastic favor as the other four clans.

For L5R:
- Will there be canadian Koteis this year, mostly interested in the east (ex: Toronto, Montreal). If so when should we expect notice?

- We have seen really nice launch kits for clan packs with full art SH and playmats. Without these, can we still expect similar « launch events »?

- Do we have numbers on Kotei participation and if overall it has been up or down ? (either total participation or player/kotei average)

- How do you feel the game design interferes with the different stages of a competition? Certain clans seem to perform better in swiss stage and some in the cuts. Is this something that is « working as intended » ?

- Outside of prize support, how do you plan on increasing kotei attendance this year? As many in this thread indicated, there seem to be communication issues as to announce organized events in advance or just getting the word out that these koteis are taking place. Could there be other incentives to increase player engagement in tournaments?

- How does OP compete / co-exist with fan-based tournaments like the Discord League and Jigoku?

Hey Alex,

When will OP move to the much anticipated digital version? Any news on the development of the official KeyForge online app?

Thanks,

Adam

When will Outer Rim be coming to the Star Wars Dice App?