AMA with Alex Watkins

By FFGEvan, in News

Hello Organized Play gamers!

We're hosting an AMA (Ask Me Anything) livestream with Fantasy Flight Games Global Director of Organized Play Alex Watkins on January 21, starting at 1:00 PM Central Time. This is the perfect opportunity to ask your most pressing questions about FFG Organized Play—whether you're curious about the philosophy behind key OP formats and decisions, wondering about what's coming next for Organized Play in 2020, or you just want to know about Alex's personal favorite games.

We'll be streaming live on our Twitch channel and taking questions in the comments there, but you don't have to wait to get your questions in the queue. Write your questions for Alex in this forum thread, and we'll draw from these questions during our livestream.

We hope to see you there!

My question for Alex is regarding Star Wars: Destiny.

What are the OP plans for Destiny in 2020? Will the Galactic Qualifiers make a return?

Thank you for all that you do for these great games.

For Star Wars Legion, are you considering doing something other than Strength of Schedule as a tournament tie breaker? SoS often feels like little more than a coin flip that players have no control over.

I've attended L5R Worlds every year, and the event has gone from strength to strength with a full and varied program, incredible participation bling, and lots of opportunities to earn prize tickets. I don't hesitate to recommend it to my L5R-playing friends, and was delighted to see so many of them there in '19.

My question though is this: can we please get a much earlier announcement of when Worlds will be? It would make attending so much easier if we had a definite date, ideally told to attendees the year before. Please help us maximise attendance and give us as much promotional time as possible - we want to sell it to our play groups and get even more folks there!

Edited by Hinomura

For STAR WARS X-WING: Prize Tickets at premier events don't seem to be equal with other games in terms of time invested. I was at Worlds this year, and the X-Wing Hangar Bay Side events had a minimum time of 2 hours and if every game goes to time it can take 4 hours, while Star Wars Destiny Pods were every 20-30 minutes with games being over in 10 minutes. Seems like X-wing should get substantially more prize tickets for time invested. It takes around 10 hours of Star Wars Hangar Bays just to reach 30 tickets. Is this something you are looking at?

MARVEL CHAMPIONS: Any plans for Marvel Champions Organized Play? It's not a versus game, but maybe a beat the clock format, or special scenario's, etc.

FOR STAR WARS X-WING: With Epic and the scenario packs being released, are there any plans to add them to tournament play in any way to break up the 200/6 format? I'm just thinking of side events at larger events like SoS, nationals etc as previously, epic only seems to show up at worlds. It'd be nice to throw them into other events.

Edited by Tensketch

I'm curious about the future of Star Wars: Outer Rim. Is there ANY chance of an expansion for the game?

In regards to OP for X-wing. A couple questions:

1) Prize support, previous displays of the templates and range rulers have shown to be white (and even mentioned in one instance to be white as well), can we have correctly imaged prize support? Was very disappointed in the season 2 templates being clear same as season ones, also the evade tokens been white like pictured would have made them gorgeous.

2) Can we look at dealing with Final salvo? It doesnt come up much, but more so the threat of it makes games play out a lot differently then they probably should. I personally feel final salvo should be handled differently, perhaps each player should have the same amount of dice for the roll off?

3) Any chance to make high aces and/or epic official event types for xwing?

Questions for X-Wing:

1. Will factions from the first trilogy get some new ships?
Empire has TIE Brute pending, Rebels might get the Mantis from Fallen Order, but is there anything planned?

2. Will we ever get to fly Vader in other ships than TIE Advanced?
I'd love to see Vader in TIE Defender :D

X-Wing OP Related: Could we get an approximate schedule for Store and Prime Championship seasons, or at least what months to plan for those in?

Last year, Alex participated in the X-Wing Oceanic Team Championships here in sunny Sydney Australia. I was wondering what he thought of the event and if there are any plans/wishes to bring a similar format to official OP?

All OP related.

1) Are there plans to include Community leaders more in OP?

My local stores run very lean and have A LOT of different events and games to keep track of. They really rely on the community to organize and run the events for them. They missed the store championship for X-wing notice and luckily can still get one, but I think it would be really helpful to maybe bring back the OP emails so that community organizers can remind stores to get these kits in etc.

2) Really like the new system for all star wars games to have the same general track, could we get a handy dandy image to show our stores and communities? Like the Pyramid thing from before, but better?

3) Are there any plans for an OP TO training kit?

I think this is mostly covered by the fundamental events document, that said a video or presentation on how to prepare to be a TO etc. would be beneficial.

X-Wing OP related

1) store championships in the past have had byes for the next level and on and on. I don't see that in the kit contents so I am guessing it is gone. Is there anything that really connects the different levels together? I know that Grands and Primes will have invites for worlds, anything like that for store championships?

Edited by Timathius

Hi any plans for marvel champions lcg orginized play? And if there Wil be what wil the prizes be? Things like playmats or something else?

Hi Alex,

Firstly, I want to thank you and your team for bringing system open down to Australia for the first time in 2019. It was an awesome experience and I’m happy that it is coming back this year as well. The coms by yourself and OP team has improved with the use of Facebook but feel that more improvements can be made. Are you able to continue the post or news articles for upcoming new kits this year? The information of new kits is usually found in second-hand sources and I would prefer to official news of the kit before they are shipped out.

Secondly, the delivery of kits to Australia is very poor at this stage. A lot of our events in 2019 didn’t have the kits for the day and prizes have shown up 3 months late after the one event. This there a possibility to change the process on how we get delivered with the distributor?

Finally, I feel that prizes support these days is a bit top heavy these days. There are some awesome prizes for worlds and system open players, which I understand for the top tier players that have earn them, but the season kits have dropped in quality. Right now, the local scene (Armada & X-wing) is tried of extend art cards and wants alt art cards and some plastic in a kit again. Is this being addressed for this year?

Thanks, 😊

Edited by Marzaums

Are we in Armada hopefully moving back to having store champs?...followed by Regionals/Primes followed by Nationals followed by Worlds format? like it was 2 years ago. As it is most players have been confused about the direction of OP for Armada.

As well is there any chance to actually have range rulers in a prize pack that are actually the correct length and not (usually) short?

I concur with Marzaums...zoomed in "alt" arts aren't exactly making people want to play in tournaments or even show up. I understand the expense of commissioning art...but acrylic tokens and or plastic cards are always appreciated, as are dice...

And could we go back to plaques or something special for Store Champs...if we get them again?

Will Armada return to a non-invite format for Worlds?

Is it still planned to release independent floor rules for different games?

unknown.png

OP - General Question

Keyforge Vault Tour and X-Wing System Open dates & locations are identical making it basically one event with two different games happening at the same time. If I'm playing both games and would like to do so at an upcoming Vault Tour/System Open, will I be able to enjoy two of them at the same venue? Will there be for example days 1a and 1b enabling me to play main events for both games?

If that depends on the venue, I'm asking specifically about the european ones.

What current FFG title do you think deserves OP that doesn't currently have OP?What current FFG title do you think deserves OP that doesn't currently have OP?

How are the recent layoffs affecting all the individual games and plans going forward?

Why do you post all the organized play news on Facebook instead of the actual FFG OP pages?

Will Marvel Champions be getting an in store OP event similar Fellowship Events or Invocation Events?

Last month, FFG open applicantions for retailers, communities, and conventions OUTSIDE of the US and Canada that want to host a Kotei in 2020. Do you have more information about the process or when will the firsts approved events will be revealed?