Announcing Flagship: a web-based fleet builder, analyzer, and RitR campaign manager!

By videege, in Star Wars: Armada

I'm excited to share the latest project I've been working on - it's called Flagship and it will help you build fleets, analyze them, and provide an almost-100% managed experience for your Rebellion in the Rim campaign! I've been working on this for the last couple months and I think it's ready for an alpha release.

This project is free and open source - if you like it and have the skills, please consider helping me out at GitHub .

Another note before I rattle off a feature list: registration is required to use this application, but I don't use your personal information for anything besides basic identification (name/photo) and to associate your data with your account. Feel free to use the 'Guest' registration if you don't want to create an account or use a 3rd-party login, but keep in mind that if you do so your fleets are basically local to your current device.

Features

Fleet Building

- Create and edit fleets for either faction. Flagship provides shortcuts for common point limits.
- Pared down interface gives you just the textual information regarding upgrades and ships.
- Export your fleet to a textual summary (for tournaments, printing, etc.).

Fleet Analytics

I'm pretty hyped for this one. To my knowledge there is no more comprehensive analytics platform for Armada than Flagship, and this feature was the main reason I undertook this project.
- For any ship in your fleet, click 'View Stats' to go to an interface that will show you the expected damage, accuracies, and criticals plus or minus one standard deviation at long, medium, and close range.
- The same information is available in textual format and includes measures like the coefficient of variance.
- Calculate the probability of achieving at least N criticals or accuracies at each range, potentially limiting to a specific color (i.e., at least 1 black crit).
- Most effects in the game (25+) that modify a ship-to-ship attack are modeled by Flagship. View the probability of needing to use Leading Shots and how that affects the output of your ship. See how combining a concentrate fire dial and General Romodi ups your damage output. You can toggle effects off and on and reorder most effects. (I'm still working on the following effects: Caitken and Shollan, Dual Turbolaser Turrets, Salvation, and the Devastator title. Also, critical effects are not modeled in the damage output but I figure these are easy enough to calculate in your head.)
- Note: I am not a mathematician but I have tried to explain the methodology used for each effect type in detail. In general, this simulation models the probability distribution of each die in an attack pool as each effect is applied to the pool. Please, if you think I am doing something wrong or sub-optimal here, let me know.

Rebellion in the Rim Manager

- Create and manage your RitR campaigns here! (Sorry, no Corellian Conflict yet.)
- Invite other users to manage their own campaign players or do it all yourself.
- View the current score and phase of the campaign, the campaign roster (including wins, losses, and MoV), each team's token inventory, the status of every location, and a timeline of campaign events.
- Flagship will guide you through each step of the campaign from setup to the end. During the strategy phase, record your declared assaults and Flagship will let you know what conditions each player will get. Likewise, the battle phase results will let you know how much experience and victory points you will receive, and you can record which parts of your fleet are scarred/veterans. The management phase will allow you build new bases, unscar ships/squadrons, and inform you about what rewards you can add to your fleets. Flagship also accounts for the pivotal/climactic battle sub-phase.
- Basically everything is managed for you except modifications to your fleets.
- Each fleet that is part of a campaign will have a special custom commander editor that allows you to purchase abilities.
- If you make a mistake, you can also manually modify most values in the campaign.

Progressive Web App

- Flagship is designed to be mobile-friendly and a progressive web app. This means you should be able to add it your phone's launcher and use it mostly like a native app. (Heads up: I haven't extensively tested this but it seems to work OK on a couple of phones I've tried it on.)

If you made it this far, please let me know what you think - if you encounter any problems, let me know here or on GitHub (I apologize in advance - it is alpha software :D). Likewise, if you have any suggestions feel free to let me know.

Edited by videege

Flagship was updated this morning to include a few fixes to issues found by users, primarily an issue where upgrades like Home One weren’t affecting the statistics of other ships in the fleet.

Edited by videege

This looks great!

So, constructive feedback time :)

1) The points value of the VCX-100 is wrong.

2) It would be good if there were a way to add multiple squadron types rather than one at a time and having to reopen the add squad menu for each one.

3) The ability to modify a fleet's points value after it's creation doesn't appear to work (or I'm doing it wrong)

4) It would be good to have the option to duplicate a ship you've already created, including all of it's non-unique upgrades (It speeds things up for things like multiple flotillas of the same lay out)

5) It'd be good for each ship to have a point total as well as the base value plus upgrades that you have already, to help ease our maths brains a little.

6) I found that in the ship statistics page when I turned off the effects of ordnance experts for MC30c scout frigate (front and side arc) and MC75 (front arc only), in the statistics table, it jambs the mean and standard deviation columns very close together. Which sounds trivial (and really, it is. Who's going to turn off the ordnance experts?) but, because I hadn't noticed what the cause of the problem was, at first I assumed it was a maths glitch and the numbers were just wrong.

Anyway, I'd offer to lend a hand but I know nothing about programming.

Keep up the good work!

Maybe I'll give feedback at some point, but I just looked at the stats for one of my favorite large base kits... MonK with QBT, Ion shinanigans, etc. Turning effects on an off while watching the critical probability change caused me to shed a quick tear. Thanks for the Wow.

2 hours ago, Flengin said:

This looks great!

2) It would be good if there were a way to add multiple squadron types rather than one at a time and having to reopen the add squad menu for each one.

3) The ability to modify a fleet's points value after it's creation doesn't appear to work (or I'm doing it wrong)

4) It would be good to have the option to duplicate a ship you've already created, including all of it's non-unique upgrades (It speeds things up for things like multiple flotillas of the same lay out)

5) It'd be good for each ship to have a point total as well as the base value plus upgrades that you have already, to help ease our maths brains a little.

6) I found that in the ship statistics page when I turned off the effects of ordnance experts for MC30c scout frigate (front and side arc) and MC75 (front arc only), in the statistics table, it jambs the mean and standard deviation columns very close together. Which sounds trivial (and really, it is. Who's going to turn off the ordnance experts?) but, because I hadn't noticed what the cause of the problem was, at first I assumed it was a maths glitch and the numbers were just wrong.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the feedback! I'll get to work fixing the errors you found. I agree about the option to duplicate ships (it's on my to-do list).

2 hours ago, Flengin said:

This looks great!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks again for the feedback. I just pushed an update addressing #1, #3, #4, and #5. The other two suggestions might take a little more time to address.

This looks like a great tool!

Unfortunately, browsing as a guest in Microsoft Edge, a lot of the updates simply aren't available. As an example, the MC-75 Ordnance Cruiser can only select an Ordnance upgrade - when I select anything else, such as a Weapons Team, I get the message "There are no available upgrades to select from":

test.thumb.png.310c1f399228f51f9a579230f85ada38.png

(I was trying to determine under which circumstances Caitken and Shollan could outperform Ordnance Experts)

Edited by SleepyDad
clarity
1 hour ago, SleepyDad said:

Unfortunately, browsing as a guest in Microsoft Edge, a lot of the updates simply aren't available. As an example, the MC-75 Ordnance Cruiser can only select an Ordnance upgrade - when I select anything else, such as a Weapons Team, I get the message "There are no available upgrades to select from":

(I was trying to determine under which circumstances Caitken and Shollan could outperform Ordnance Experts)

That’s weird. I haven’t done a lot of testing on Edge so it’s possible there’s a client side error in that browser - I’ll investigate tonight, thanks!

Minor bug report: Hondo and Boba are mutually exclusive squadrons.

Other than that I think I found my new fleet builder.

Edited by Grathew
Hondo officer/squad was there I was an idiot

I’m really liking exploring this thing, and hope to try it with a campaign soon to shake that down a bit as well.

A couple of turbo laser upgrades are missing the modification trait. Quad battery turrets, and spinal ornaments (haha voice to text comedy).

it also did not seem to consider the fish twins weapon team in the reroll calculations. But I’d understand if that’s one that just isn’t implemented yet.

11 hours ago, Grathew said:

Minor bug report: Hondo and Boba are mutually exclusive squadrons.

Other than that I think I found my new fleet builder.

4 hours ago, deDios said:

I’m really liking exploring this thing, and hope to try it with a campaign soon to shake that down a bit as well.

A couple of turbo laser upgrades are missing the modification trait. Quad battery turrets, and spinal ornaments (haha voice to text comedy).

it also did not seem to consider the fish twins weapon team in the reroll calculations. But I’d understand if that’s one that just isn’t implemented yet.

Thanks for the bug reports. I've just pushed an update fixing the issue with Hondo/Boba (and other squadrons that share a unique craft name), added the missing Darth Vader Officer upgrade, and fixed the missing modification trait on the turbolasers. I haven't modeled out the Caitken and Shollan upgrade (and a few others mentioned in the original post) but I hope to get to these soon.

2 minutes ago, videege said:

I haven't modeled out the Caitken and Shollan upgrade (and a few others mentioned in the original post) but I hope to get to these soon

Gah! I got so excited to play with the new toy, that I did not read the instructions. Thanks for your patience and your work.I got so excited to play with the new toy, that I did not read the instructions. Thanks for your patience and your work.

13 hours ago, SleepyDad said:

Thanks again for this bug report. I've just pushed a fix for this (there was a problem specific to IE/Edge).

8 hours ago, videege said:

Thanks again for this bug report. I've just pushed a fix for this (there was a problem specific to IE/Edge).

Thank you! And now that I can fully access it, I can confirm that your app is indeed as useful as it looks!

I haven't gotten very far in yet, but it looks useful.

Currently the only VSD title available is "Steven Fleet Star Destroyer"

Very interesting idea on damage output analysis!

Out of curiosity, would it be a huge challenge to do a similar analysis for a fleet's ability to 'tank' damage? IE., how many attacks of particular scale could it be expected to take, given defense tokens/shields and hull/defense-boosting upgrades?

1 hour ago, xanderf said:

Very interesting idea on damage output analysis!

Out of curiosity, would it be a huge challenge to do a similar analysis for a fleet's ability to 'tank' damage? IE., how many attacks of particular scale could it be expected to take, given defense tokens/shields and hull/defense-boosting upgrades?

I’ve thought about this but initially opted for the offensive analysis since it seemed broadly more useful. This is definitely on the backlog for future enhancement though!

11 hours ago, cynanbloodbane said:

I haven't gotten very far in yet, but it looks useful.

Currently the only VSD title available is "Steven Fleet Star Destroyer"

This is fixed now, thanks - all titles should be there and the statistics page accounts for Warlord & Dominator.

First of all - this app is awesome! Really does streamline the turn sequence so we don't forget anything.

I did have one question/observation - we completed our first turn using the app and one of our fleets had the "Low Fuel" condition. When we were completing the management phase in the app, it does not acknowledge that one of the fleets had that effect if we were going to spend resources (or automatically remove from playing steal supplies) to remove it. I believe that status will persist through the following turns.

On 12/12/2019 at 4:45 PM, SuperZuk said:

First of all - this app is awesome! Really does streamline the turn sequence so we don't forget anything.

I did have one question/observation - we completed our first turn using the app and one of our fleets had the "Low Fuel" condition. When we were completing the management phase in the app, it does not acknowledge that one of the fleets had that effect if we were going to spend resources (or automatically remove from playing steal supplies) to remove it. I believe that status will persist through the following turns.

I'll check this out, thanks.

Flagship has been upgraded to include the new Onager cards (roughly translated for now). Flag Bridge says Flagship Only but this is not currently enforced by the application.

Wow! Amazing! Thx for the great work!

@videege Still using this a lot and enjoying it!

Quick tweaks, on the fleet builder, I think that Admiral Ozzel is missing from the Officers section (not the Commanders).

Also, when I "Copy Fleet", then change the name, the new name does not stick.
It keep reverting to the old name after entering and exiting the editor.
This may also happen when renaming any fleet, but I haven't played with that yet.

Can I add one upgrade to your list of upcoming statistics? SW7's would be easy because of the 1:1 change from Acc to Dmg; it would be a hope to model both "convert all" and "keep 1 acc" as options.

Thanks again! My old favorite fleet builder quit being updated just as you showed us this one and I'm glad to have it (as is my 8 person campaign crew).

2 hours ago, deDios said:

@videege Still using this a lot and enjoying it!

Quick tweaks, on the fleet builder, I think that Admiral Ozzel is missing from the Officers section (not the Commanders).

Also, when I "Copy Fleet", then change the name, the new name does not stick.
It keep reverting to the old name after entering and exiting the editor.
This may also happen when renaming any fleet, but I haven't played with that yet.

Can I add one upgrade to your list of upcoming statistics? SW7's would be easy because of the 1:1 change from Acc to Dmg; it would be a hope to model both "convert all" and "keep 1 acc" as options.

Thanks again! My old favorite fleet builder quit being updated just as you showed us this one and I'm glad to have it (as is my 8 person campaign crew).

On that note, introduced it to our 8nplayer crew and we set everything up, but then it emerged you can't start a campaign with 8.

OP, I love what you've done with this. Is it possible to accommodate 8 player campaigns?

I know that this would necessitate a modification of the rules: campaign points being one. Maybe it would be possible to set custom levels for these?

Do you have a donation link? I would be very happy to contribute to your work.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:35 PM, ManInTheBox said:

On that note, introduced it to our 8nplayer crew and we set everything up, but then it emerged you can't start a campaign with 8.

OP, I love what you've done with this. Is it possible to accommodate 8 player campaigns?

I know that this would necessitate a modification of the rules: campaign points being one. Maybe it would be possible to set custom levels for these?

Do you have a donation link? I would be very happy to contribute to your work.

Thanks for the bug reports, I’ll get to work on that. I think I could probably support arbitrary team sizes for the campaign manager but I’ll need to build some stuff that allows you to specify team size and other thresholds (like how many points trigger the next act).