THE MANDALORIAN Discussion Thread!

By patox, in X-Wing Off-Topic

You guys seen the pic of the Doctor that Werner Hezog's character (I don't know the name) employs that shows the patch on his shoulder matches with the symbol that the young Jango Fett clones wear?

Edited by Force Majeure

Loved IG-11, and in general that first episode gave me a lot of hope for the show. Excited to see where they take the character and definitely looking forward to watching more.

I think the IG got his bounty orders elsewhere. He said that it was very clear that it was to be terminated. Not optional, not better, but a clear order. Mando was given a choice, but alive is preferable and more profitable. Herzog didn't seem overly into killing the kid, just that he knows the galaxy is tough and it is an option.

Maybe Esposito's Imperial character is who hired IG (and maybe others?) and just wants the kid dead, but that scientist has other plans and Herzog is ok with them. Different factions within the fractured Empire with different agendas and our boy Mando is caught in the middle just trying to earn money and not kill babies lol

38 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

who are the parents? Yoda/Yaddle?

Sigh.. okay, so first off, there are likely millions if not billions of Yoda/Yaddle’s species so just assuming it is them silly.
second, the Doctor had a symbol on is right arm that seems to be what the clones had in their training on Kamino. This could indicate that the baby is a clone of some sorts, which could make the Yoda/Yaddle connection more likely.
There is also that the doctor wants to study the lifespan if this species - humans are short lived, and they made a specific note of how the baby was 50 years old.

2 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

You guys seen the pic of the Doctor that Werner Hezog's character (I don't know the name) employs that shows the patch on his shoulder matches with the symbol that the young Jango Fett clones wear?

Yeah it's the patch all the clones wore on their shoulders before donning armour. So either he's a clone, or he's a cloner. Which means they want the baby for something connected.

1 minute ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Sigh.. okay, so first off, there are likely millions if not billions of Yoda/Yaddle’s species so just assuming it is them silly.
second, the Doctor had a symbol on is right arm that seems to be what the clones had in their training on Kamino. This could indicate that the baby is a clone of some sorts, which could make the Yoda/Yaddle connection more likely.
There is also that the doctor wants to study the lifespan if this species - humans are short lived, and they made a specific note of how the baby was 50 years old.

We've only ever seen 2 in canon though, and 1 more in KOTOR. George always made a point to not say ANYTHING about them or show too many. So we have no idea if there are millions, billions, just thousands, or even just hundreds. Or why there are so few/many.

3 hours ago, Whalers on the moon said:

He needed him alive to receive the full bounty. There was a scene where Werner Herzog addressed it directly.

Really? I misunderstood that completely then.

2 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Really? I misunderstood that completely then.

Yeah his line is "proof of termination is also acceptable for a lower fee..."

17 minutes ago, InterceptorMad said:

I think the IG got his bounty orders elsewhere. He said that it was very clear that it was to be terminated. Not optional, not better, but a clear order. Mando was given a choice, but alive is preferable and more profitable. Herzog didn't seem overly into killing the kid, just that he knows the galaxy is tough and it is an option.

I'll have to re-watch the scene, but I may have misunderstood; did the Herzog character say the info on the bounty was 50 years old? If so, why would there be two individuals (IG-11 & The Mando) be searching for the subject NOW ? The timing is probably for the purposes of making a great action scene for a show. HOWEVER, the Pig Nolte character did mention that others had come before and failed, so who knows?

1 minute ago, Force Majeure said:

I'll have to re-watch the scene, but I may have misunderstood; did the Herzog character say the info on the bounty was 50 years old? If so, why would there be two individuals (IG-11 & The Mando) be searching for the subject NOW ? The timing is probably for the purposes of making a great action scene for a show. HOWEVER, the Pig Nolte character did mention that others had come before and failed, so who knows?

As I said above, maybe a character we've not seen yet who wants the kid explicitly dead hired IG-11 and he was just (one of) the latest to try. Maybe it's the Imperial character we've seen in trailers, maybe someone else.

And he could only give Mando the age of the target, not anything else. And it was a 50 year old target. It's why he's surprised when he finds a baby connected to the tracker he was given.

47 minutes ago, InterceptorMad said:

We've only ever seen 2 in canon though, and 1 more in KOTOR. George always made a point to not say ANYTHING about them or show too many. So we have no idea if there are millions, billions, just thousands, or even just hundreds. Or why there are so few/many.

How many Shastavanens? How many Ithorians? ****.. any race in canon has only a few examples. Does that mean there are only two ithorians in the galaxy?

My example above is just as ridiculous as those saying it must be Yoda and Yaddle’s love child.

True, we haven't seen many, but we haven't seen many of a LOT of a species.

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

How many Shastavanens? How many Ithorians? ****.. any race in canon has only a few examples. Does that mean there are only two ithorians in the galaxy?

My example above is just as ridiculous as those saying it must be Yoda and Yaddle’s love child.

True, we haven't seen many, but we haven't seen many of a LOT of a species.

No but in (albeit legends) books and games and such, we know of their planets and races and societies. And they've never been closely guarded and restricted by the creator of the universe.

Also as we don't know anything about them, they might not even be naturally force sensitive and the Empire could be paying top Beskar dollar to get it just for it's rarity and longevity. If there are millions or billions out there, why hire a bounty hunter to go and find this one and keep the details around it so hush hush? Couldn't tell him anything but the age, scientist was VERY keen to have it alive, willing to part with a lot of Beskar to have it back alive. Clearly they can't just go and steal this sort of baby from a planet or whatever.

Edited by InterceptorMad
3 hours ago, InterceptorMad said:

Yeah it's the patch all the clones wore on their shoulders before donning armour. So either he's a clone, or he's a cloner. Which means they want the baby for something connected.

At this point I'm guessing the empire wants to clone an infant of this extremely rare race that has proven to be highly force sensitive. Could be a way to study the force, or longevity, or both. Maybe even an attempt to transplant Palp's consciousness into a super-long-lived, super-force-sensitive, tiny green body?

2 hours ago, InterceptorMad said:

No but in (albeit legends) books and games and such, we know of their planets and races and societies. And they've never been closely guarded and restricted by the creator of the universe.

Also as we don't know anything about them, they might not even be naturally force sensitive and the Empire could be paying top Beskar dollar to get it just for it's rarity and longevity. If there are millions or billions out there, why hire a bounty hunter to go and find this one and keep the details around it so hush hush? Couldn't tell him anything but the age, scientist was VERY keen to have it alive, willing to part with a lot of Beskar to have it back alive. Clearly they can't just go and steal this sort of baby from a planet or whatever.

That is fair, it is hush hush. I concede that, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is related to an existing character.
Honestly that is one thing I hate about the fiction, though the legends stuff was worse, is how incestuous they try to make everything. Every character you see knows, or is related to some other character.

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.“ - Douglas Adams

There is no reason to make this baby related to anyone. Can't it just be enough that it is maybe wanted because the species lives so long?
Same reason Pedro’s character has no need to be related to Boba. Same culture and profession, sure, but no need for blood relation.

One episode down and I’m pretty satisfied so far. Got some interesting hooks and got to get a feel for the mood.

One of the details I loved was the state of the Stormtrooper armor. The grime and filth on the white armor spoke volumes as to how far the Empire has fallen.

12 hours ago, SabineKey said:

One episode down and I’m pretty satisfied so far. Got some interesting hooks and got to get a feel for the mood.

One of the details I loved was the state of the Stormtrooper armor. The grime and filth on the white armor spoke volumes as to how far the Empire has fallen.

Actually, that was the only issue I had with characterization. While I agree it spoke a lot about the decay of imperial power, I thought it was a bit too much.

Scorch marks, missing parts, some discoloration, those would be OK, but those guys were positively filthy...? Much of that grime could probably be removed through vigorous scrubbing (which a serious military officer would definitely impose on his/her charges). That they looked like that would point to a lax leader, imo. Kinda like a "Thor-on-endgame-let-himself-go" type of guy.

Also, that room must stink.

Edited by takfar

Loved the attention to small detail. Keeping with what many people fell in love initially with Star Wars: this is just a piece of a larger story. It isn’t always pretty and happy.

I loved how the cgi seemed well balanced. It appeared there were lots of masks and costumes! Gives realism and depth.

awesome. Just awesome.

1 hour ago, takfar said:

Actually, that was the only issue I had with characterization. While I agree it spoke a lot about the decay of imperial power, I thought it was a bit too much.

Scorch marks, missing parts, some discoloration, those would be OK, but those guys were positively filthy...? Much of that grime could probably be removed through vigorous scrubbing (which a serious military officer would definitely impose on his/her charges). That they looked like that would point to a lax leader, imo. Kinda like a "Thor-on-endgame-let-himself-go" type of guy.

Also, that room must stink.

Exactly. We’re not dealing with the disciplined leaders who had some shred of belief in the ideology. We have those desperately clinging to the remnants of power the Empire once represented.

24 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

Exactly. We’re not dealing with the disciplined leaders who had some shred of belief in the ideology. We have those desperately clinging to the remnants of power the Empire once represented.

I think you're right. the one that had strong beliefs in the empire either died during operation cinder and the battle of Jakku or fled to the unknown region with what is to become the first order.

The only "imperials" left are the low levels thugs that only joined the empire because of the power it gave them.

Edited by Aderen

w54fbbrhgny31.jpg

siw5462jjny31.jpg

One of my biggest questions is who were the mercenaries guarding the baby and why were they so willing to die to defend it? I mean, your regular run of the mill mercenaries would have GTFO after the assassin droid started lighting them up. Makes me think they are not just some "mercenaries" and maybe apart of some sort of an order.

Or its just kind of a plot hole.

Edited by Jo Jo
9 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

One of my biggest questions is who were the mercenaries guarding the baby and why were they so willing to die to defend it? I mean, your regular run of the mill mercenaries would have GTFO after the assassin droid started lighting them up. Makes me think they are not just some "mercenaries" and maybe apart of some sort of an order.

Or its just kind of a plot hole.

The best part is.... Filoni and Favereu are at the helm. Chances of them dropping the ball is sooo far less than anyone else.

About 10 minutes in.

7sNHFta.png

8 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

About 10 minutes in.

7sNHFta.png

Hmm.. Wonder if that Lancer-class is in alliance colors, or jumpmaster5k colors?