THE MANDALORIAN Discussion Thread!

By patox, in X-Wing Off-Topic

mando-logo-875-nopad_554c28cc.png

If you have not watched the most recent Episode of THE MANDALORIAN then is is heavily discouraged that you read on, as *SPOLIERS* are present in it.

__________________________________________________________________________________

It turns out that Disney flipped the switch on Disney+ at midnight Eastern Standard Time on Tue, Nov. 12, which turned out to be 9pm on Mon, Nov. 11 if you're on the West Coast. Did it live up to the hype? Did Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau deliver? This can be a spoiler-tastic place to talk about all things Mandalorian.

Edited by patox
added details

Yaddell and Yoda had an affair lol #confirmed

Curious where the baby Yoda story will take us.

Founding seems to be someone who wasn’t born as a Mandalorian but raised as one

I liked it! I though it was slick that he had an on-board carbonite freezing chamber. Maybe a future illicit updrade for x wing?

Took a while to get a platform to play it. PS4 wouldn't for some reason, but the Roku works :D

living up to hype for me so far! :D

Interesting to me that IG-11 had different bounty parameters than the Mando. I wonder if his was from a different source, or just a misinterpretation. If it was from the same source, I wonder what his payment offer was, since I can't see the same offer of Beskar being made to him.

7 hours ago, patox said:

mando-logo-875-nopad_554c28cc.png

If you have not watched the most recent Episode of THE MANDALORIAN then is is heavily discouraged that you read on, as *SPOLIERS* are present in it.

__________________________________________________________________________________

It turns out that Disney flipped the switch on Disney+ at midnight Eastern Standard Time on Tue, Nov. 12, which turned out to be 9pm on Mon, Nov. 11 if you're on the West Coast. Did it live up to the hype? Did Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau deliver? This can be a spoiler-tastic place to talk about all things Mandalorian.

Heheh... Loving that I set the bar for how these discussion threads are supposed to look. Thanks for using the format.

I just hope we see a form of 1g-11 again. That sucks that he got his circuits fried in the 1st episode.

I am pretty sure we've seen him in other scenes in the various trailers.

I was pleasantly surprised that I got to see the Mando last night around 9ish (West Coast). I heard around the workplace that some folks had issues trying to watch this morning.

----------------------------------

Two things that surprised me:

1. There were other Mandolorians (waht?!)
  2. The Mando spoke as much as he did.

There were a LOT of call backs to the OT in terms of framing shots.

Anywho, anyone else mildly bothered that the Ugnaught character's lips didn't quite mouth the words coming out of his mouth? It's a mask, I get it. But it didn't truly hurt my enjoyment of the show.

I have spoken!

1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

Anywho, anyone else mildly bothered that the Ugnaught character's lips didn't quite mouth the words coming out of his mouth? It's a mask, I get it. But it didn't truly hurt my enjoyment of the show.

I have spoken!

Mildly annoyed as well. Like you, I understand its a mask but figured Disney would go the extra mile digitally to make it better. I had low expectations from this show but I was fairly pleasantly surprised. The 50 year old infant Yoda species kind of bothered me. That seemed kind of old since Yoda was supposedly 900. That would kind of round out to yoda dying at 18 in yoda years.

5 hours ago, BrotherFett said:

I liked it! I though it was slick that he had an on-board carbonite freezing chamber. Maybe a future illicit updrade for x wing?

Not in x-wing. Something like that would be an upgrade for your ship in the RPG.

1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

Two things that surprised me:

1. There were other Mandolorians (waht?!)

I didn't find that a surprise at all, except a pleasant "oh that's cool!" one. We saw them still around in Rebels and so with this only being 6 years (or 7) post that it makes sense that a bunch are here or there in cool enclaves or groups. In the shadows a bit, granted, but still not a "OMG WHAT?!" moment for me.

14 hours ago, patox said:

Did it live up to the hype? Did Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau deliver?

Yes! Yes!

Things I'm very interested in:

1. Further explanation of "Foundlings" and what other Mandos are up to.

2. The bounty in the first episode.

The show seems to be extremely Star Wars, at least so far.

EDIT: It even had a prequel-style scene wipe.

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark
18 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Assuming this was on purpose. That's just how Nick Nolte talks.

Edited by Whalers on the moon
22 hours ago, BrotherFett said:

I just hope we see a form of 1g-11 again. That sucks that he got his circuits fried in the 1st episode.

We don’t know which circuits were fried. All kinds of options to have him in the show.

So why didn’t he kill the little guy? Just a no-baby rule? Did he recognize the species?

17 hours ago, InterceptorMad said:

I didn't find that a surprise at all, except a pleasant "oh that's cool!" one. We saw them still around in Rebels and so with this only being 6 years (or 7) post that it makes sense that a bunch are here or there in cool enclaves or groups. In the shadows a bit, granted, but still not a "OMG WHAT?!" moment for me.

From the Clone Wars and rebels we know that the Mandalorians had colonized several planets and moons by this point. Based on the variety of armor and the general dusty dirty color scheme of the scene I'm guessing this location is about as far from Mandalore as they get.

I was interested when the armorer asked him if he had his sigil yet. I thought these were assigned based on the clan that you came from? Is it something that must be earned beyond that? Is it harder to earn for foundlings than native born Mandos? It seems this will all be explained, but my guess is that this is what he tries to earn after he gets the full glistening armor we've seen from previews. After that I assume it's the silver arrows?

2 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

So why didn’t he kill the little guy? Just a no-baby rule? Did he recognize the species?

He needed him alive to receive the full bounty. There was a scene where Werner Herzog addressed it directly.

Edited by Whalers on the moon
22 hours ago, Demon4x4 said:

Interesting to me that IG-11 had different bounty parameters than the Mando. I wonder if his was from a different source, or just a misinterpretation. If it was from the same source, I wonder what his payment offer was, since I can't see the same offer of Beskar being made to him.

Here is my thought - Dr Pershing (Salim from American Gods) Wants the baby alive, but the client (Werner Herzog) made it known that dead was okay too, this leads me to believe he actually wanted it dead, and figured that a human (Mandalorian) could possibly balk at killing a defenceless child.
Hiring the droid as well, who would have no compunctions against that task, seems to signify that he may have indeed, wanted the child dead.

4 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Because being a Mandalorian doesn't equate being a psychopath? Perhaps he has a code of honour? Perhaps he might be a decent person? Or, even, he was found as an child and was given a chance to become something else, so he feels a kinship..

Oh.. here’s another thing; maybe he’s the main character and it would be hard for most of us human beings that aren't sociopaths to root for him after he murdered a frelling baby..

I'm a little concerned about the asking of that question. Objective morality aside, we also see that the Mandalorian brought all his quarries back alive, albeit in stasis.

6 minutes ago, Whalers on the moon said:

I was interested when the armorer asked him if he had his sigil yet. I thought these were assigned based on the clan that you came from? Is it something that must be earned beyond that? Is it harder to earn for foundlings than native born Mandos? It seems this will all be explained, but my guess is that this is what he tries to earn after he gets the full glistening armor we've seen from previews. After that I assume it's the silver arrows?

Consider that Sabine Wren took the Starbird on as her personal insignia. Feels like a similar concept to me. But the thought that those born into a Mandalorian family and those that are Foundlings may have different paths to get their sigil is a good one.

2 hours ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

1: He isn't an outright murderer.

2. Removing IG-11 serves 2 purposes: a) he doesn't have to split the bounty b) he has more time to reconsider fulfilling the bounty.

-------------------------------------

Seeing as how old the "baby" is (fifty years!) Where would it's birth fall on the SW timeline? Would it be pre-ANH? and obviously, who are the parents? Yoda/Yaddle?

By the way, I'm naming it little "Yodel"

18 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Seeing as how old the "baby" is (fifty years!) Where would it's birth fall on the SW timeline? Would it be pre-ANH? and obviously, who are the parents? Yoda/Yaddle?

By the way, I'm naming it little "Yodel"

The show is set 5-6 years after Battle of Endor, so 9-10 years after Yavin.

Episode 1 is set 32 years before Battle of Yavin.

So its birth would have happened about 8 years before Episode 1.

That's if I remembered all date correctly.

13 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

So its birth would have happened about 8 years before Episode 1.

So Yodel's birth is approximate to Anakin's. I wonder if that's coincidence or on purpose? Filoni likes to mess with people...

41 BBY, same as Anakin, I've read.