Why only two bases in the Huge Ship Conversion Kit?

By drail14me, in X-Wing

$$$

Pretty obvious answer. They want you to buy more. Pretty much repeating what happened with the first 3 faction conversion kits.

I'll admit that I'm strongly considering buying a Rebel Alliance conversion kit mainly to get the upgrade cards. Although if I do, I will be picking up 1st Edition ships which haven't been rereleased yet as well.

I hope that they come out with a Huge ship bases accessory. If not, it would really suck to have to buy another Huge Ship Expansion just for the two bases...

But wait, that’s not all, I’m gonna have to buy three kits and still won’t have enough bases.

I’m unsure of who I’m more mad at, FFG or my buying habits. 🤣

I'm pretty happy about these kits. I said before that I would be getting 2 kits to convert my 9 huge ships, but now I only need 1.

Why? Because each kit has 10 dials and 10 base tokens - I had assumed there would be 5 dials and 5 base tokens, with the flip side being the alternative faction! And I knew I'd want to fly eg 2 Gozantis at the same time - I don't care if one has the wrong colour dial and base token.

The old bases and pegs will still fit the ships, and I was going to cut a slot in them for the new manoeuvre tool while I wait for 3rd party bases or separate FFG bases to appear. I wasn't ever going to get enough kits for all 9 ships to have new bases!

The tracker dial things aren't important since I have a pile of energy tokens and shield tokens.

The damage deck might run out, but normal damage can be tracked using tokens so it might be ok.

This is good.

Are the distances moved with the new manoeuvre tool different from the old one? They don’t look different...

What are the missions like?

The old tool made turns in the 30 degree range (give or take, don't know exactly), the new tool makes turns 45 degrees. The way you move Huge ships now is different, but actual speeds/distance traveled with straights look to be about the same, but it's been a WHILE since I played 1.0 epic.

Meh. Epic is casual mode. Eyeball it with the new tool :)

37 minutes ago, Gilarius said:

I'm pretty happy about these kits. I said before that I would be getting 2 kits to convert my 9 huge ships, but now I only need 1.

Why? Because each kit has 10 dials and 10 base tokens - I had assumed there would be 5 dials and 5 base tokens, with the flip side being the alternative faction! And I knew I'd want to fly eg 2 Gozantis at the same time - I don't care if one has the wrong colour dial and base token.

[...]

As far as I know, there is 10 dial but only 5 bases (with the other faction on the reverse side).

6 hours ago, Faerie1979 said:

I can also foresee Huge bases in various colors being sold separately at some point.

I wouldn't bet too hard on that, but I will bet that we will get new Huge ships, and there will be a base in each ship box, so we all eventually will have too many Huge ship bases, like we all have way too many Small/Large bases already.

Can I start a new thread complaining about only getting 2 Stabilized S-foils in the Aces pack? JK... I think?

2 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

Can I start a new thread complaining about only getting 2 Stabilized S-foils in the Aces pack? JK... I think?

Oh man! I know! It’s horrible - how dare they cash grab and not have it magically be exactly enough copies for my personal B-wing collection! :)

2 hours ago, NilsTillander said:

I wouldn't bet too hard on that, but I will bet that we will get new Huge ships, and there will be a base in each ship box, so we all eventually will have too many Huge ship bases, like we all have way too many Small/Large bases already.

right - assuming you buy more 2.0 huge ships you’ll be adding more 2.0 huge bases along the way.

I don’t really plan on buying any that we know about yet — I probably will buy Republic ones, or if there’s ever a second Scum one.

4 hours ago, NerroSama said:

As far as I know, there is 10 dial but only 5 bases (with the other faction on the reverse side).

Correct - only one of each ship base from the photos Shuttle Tyderium have to us from the Bothan spies (May they Rest In Peace)

5 hours ago, Estarriol said:

Are the distances moved with the new manoeuvre tool different from the old one? They don’t look different...

What are the missions like?

Maneuver tool is different. Banks are standard 45 degrees unlike old huge ships.

Missions? None of us have seen them yet aside from the handful ffg shared. Maybe someone can share photos of their book?

Could we just 3-D print any extra Huge-ship bases we need? Would their being non-clear make them unusable?

15 minutes ago, Explorator88 said:

Could we just 3-D print any extra Huge-ship bases we need? Would their being non-clear make them unusable?

Go nuts. Huge ships are casual only for now, so it's not like you'll be disqualified from anything. Just reassure the people you're playing with that the 3d printed bases are identical to the official ones.

The whole conversion process from 1.0 to 2.0 has been a bit of an expensive pain. With the faction conversion kits it was annoying to have to buy 2 kits per faction to get everything you needed but was understandable as everyone's collection differed greatly along with factoring in the number of ships needing conversion per faction. That being said some gripes had some merit such as the Maul crew card only being in one kit, but it was what it was.

The epic ship conversion kit is a bit of a disappointment for me. I have one of each epic ship and it would have been nice to have to only worry about purchasing 1 conversion kit, even if the extra plastic card would have bumped the price up to 50. The silver lining for me is by buying 3 kits I will have enough of the upgrade cards run all 3 factions epic ships kitted out properly.

I guess what I am trying to say is I can see both sides. Those of us with larger collections are still feeling a bit burned from the faction conversion kits and having to buy multiples of yet another conversion kit stings yet again. The extra upgrade cards will be nice though. I also understand that not everyone has invested as much into the game as others and that's cool too. If FFG had offered extra bases in a separate package that would have been greatly appreciated, and I think it was either short sighted of them not to do so or a bit of a money grab on their part. Just my two cents.

It would be nice if the people whose comments come off as a bit harsher would take a bit of time to consider and empathize with the opposing view point. At the end of the day the conversion kits are what we have to work with. Definitely provide FFG with feedback, try to be kind and open minded with each other and then move on.

11 hours ago, Mattman7306 said:

I have noticed that, although this subreddit has 42069 readers, I am not receiving 42069 upvotes on my posts. I'm not sure if this is being done intentionally or if these "friends" are forgetting to click 'upvote'. Either way, I've had enough. I have compiled a spreadsheet of individuals who have "forgotten" to upvote my most recent posts. After 2 consecutive strikes, your name is automatically highlighted (shown in red) and I am immediately notified. 3 consecutive strikes and you can expect an in-person "consultation". Think about your actions.

In-person consultation!? I feel honored. But if you spend all your money traveling, how will you afford to play X-Wing?

13 hours ago, drail14me said:

Yeah, that’s the key and I think it’s BS.

I bought five ships. If I want to play a casual 3 vs 3 game with three factions and put all five of my ships on the table for an afternoon of Star Wars fun then I have to buy three conversion kits! The kit converts five ships, it should have five bases.

So, every conversion kit should be personalized for the collections and intentions of each player?

13 hours ago, drail14me said:

This is not the case. FFG released five Epic ships. The kit converts these five ships. It should have the parts to fully convert all five.

It fully converts all five. Just not all at the same time.

12 hours ago, drail14me said:

but here, we’re talking five $100 ships vs throwing in three 20 cent pieces of plastic and three $1 cardboard dials. But yeah, people have varied collections of huge ships as well.

Maybe they should have done individual ship conversion kits. One kit for each ship.

It just sucks. I live in a small town with a small play group. The other guy I play with is on a limited budget. We’re trying to build a community. I’ve got all five huge ships. He has none. I was gonna use mine but to do so means another $30 for two bases and two Resource Trackers. Everything else in the kit will go in the trash. Seems wasteful.

Could they fit three more bases (and associated cardboard) into the current boxes, while still retaining enough space for air so stuff doesn't get damaged? Or would they need to increase the size of the box, decreasing how many they can ship in a given volume, and thus increasing price? The cost of the plastic and cardboard isn't really the driving factor here.

As for separate kits, wouldn't this likely be more expensive? If each kit were $20, it would cost $100 to get all five, as opposed to $90 to get three of the current kits. Not to mention they'd then be upsetting all the people for whom the current kits work just fine. Also, you speak of waste, but how wasteful would having 5 bases be for all the players who will never use them all?

I guess what I find most confusing is the apparent surprise. Haven't we known there would be two bases for a while now?

7 hours ago, Gilarius said:

The old bases and pegs will still fit the ships,

Will they, for all of them? I thought the new bases had peg holes for both long and short ships, meaning one set may sit properly, but the other will have the bases too far forward or too far back, depending on how the peg setup is?

Not saying there couldn't be workarounds, especially if you're willing to modify your bases; just saying it may require a bit more effort than just getting a couple Large bases.

I have 8 epic ships (1ea large, 2ea small). I debated between one or two conversion kits, and settled on 2. Part of it was the "just in case" factor, and part of it was wanting a second damage deck.

I'm pleased with the way the kits are packaged, and excited to use them. If I want more bits, I'll probably look to 3rd party sellers, or keep an eye out for a killer deal on a third conversion kit.

Great job, FFG! Keep up the quality work. I think the improvement to the Epic rules and components is definitely worth the cost of the conversion kit(s).

16 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

So, every conversion kit should be personalized for the collections and intentions of each player?

No, but every conversion kit should fully convert the 5 ships they released.

20 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Could they fit three more bases (and associated cardboard) into the current boxes, while still retaining enough space for air so stuff doesn't get damaged? Or would they need to increase the size of the box, decreasing how many they can ship in a given volume, and thus increasing price? The cost of the plastic and cardboard isn't really the driving factor here.

Yes, they could have fit the three bases in and three more resource trackers. Would it have driven up the cost? Probably a little bit. Would I have minded paying $35 instead of $30 for the extra plastic and cardboard, not at all. Do I mind paying $60 just for three pieces of plastic and three cardboard resource trackers while throwing away the remaining 75% of the contents of the kit just so I can use my three $100 ships I've already paid for. Absolutely not.

17 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

It fully converts all five. Just not all at the same time.

Then all five ships are not fully converted. Two ships are fully converted, three are partially converted.

The small ship conversion kits FULLY converted at least one of EVERY 1st edition ship released but not necessarily multiples of each ship. I'm ok with that. The Huge Ship does not FULLY convert every 1st edition ship released. So, comparing the two kits is apples to oranges.

At least the conversion kits are priced decently. I might be buying 2.

Edited by heychadwick
13 minutes ago, drail14me said:

Then all five ships are not fully converted. Two ships are fully converted, three are partially converted.

How do you partially convert a ship? No, two ships are fully converted for that game. Another game, two different ships could be fully converted. Another game a further two. All can be fully converted, just not all at the same time.

And I just rechecked the announcement article. While I didn't see it state how many bases were included, it clearly mentioned two resource trackers, so I still don't get why only converting two ships at a time comes as a shock to anyone.

1 hour ago, Matanui3 said:

if you spend all your money traveling, how will you afford to play X-Wing?

I spend all my money traveling to play X-Wing.

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

How do you partially convert a ship? No, two ships are fully converted for that game. Another game, two different ships could be fully converted. Another game a further two. All can be fully converted, just not all at the same time.

And I just rechecked the announcement article. While I didn't see it state how many bases were included, it clearly mentioned two resource trackers, so I still don't get why only converting two ships at a time comes as a shock to anyone.

You partially convert a ship when you limit its uses. I purchased one of each first edition ship. FFGs conversion kit limits me to only being able to use two at a time. Everyone is making the argument of two ships. Show me the rule saying you can only use two ships in a game. Huge ships are for casual play now, not regulation play. In casual, you can use whatever you and your opponent agree to.

FFG designed this kit will a rule of two ships in mind and not with converting one of each ship released in mind.

2 minutes ago, drail14me said:

Show me the rule saying you can only use two ships in a game.

Aren't there only two ships per faction in the kit?

In that case, two bases is enough for one player to use the components in the box in a game and I assume it's right next to the rule in the base set that says I can only use one X-Wing or two TIE Fighters.

16 hours ago, drail14me said:

Yeah, that’s the key and I think it’s BS.

You're probably one of those angry X-wing players that is angry that you have to buy more than one conversion kit instead of rebuying everything .

Grrrr. So angry .