Aces High rules?

By LUZ_TAK, in X-Wing Epic Play

What happens when a ship dies not by having someone fire at it?

• Lands on an asteroid
  • Console fire kills it
  • DBS-404 kills himself by firing at R1
1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

• Lands on an asteroid
  • Console fire kills it

The game ends. The player suffering the ignoble death must stand in the corner for the next round and remaining players must bash each other with nerf bats for failing to finish off the easy points.

My read is no points scored for the kill, any bounty points acquired on the ship card are lost. Am I wrong?

3 hours ago, heychadwick said:

• Lands on an asteroid
  • Console fire kills it

@LagJanson has the correct interpretation, no points are scored and bounty points are lost.

My playgroup (every time I type that I picture a handful of toddlers; I imagine they'd be more mature than us) have attempted tracking crits like Console Fire (so if I dealt one which proceeded to kill someone, it would be 'my' kill) and other penalties for self-kills, but it starts leading to things getting too complicated.

22 hours ago, LagJanson said:

My read is no points scored for the kill, any bounty points acquired on the ship card are lost. Am I wrong?

20 hours ago, AceDogbert said:

@LagJanson has the correct interpretation, no points are scored and bounty points are lost.

My playgroup (every time I type that I picture a handful of toddlers; I imagine they'd be more mature than us) have attempted tracking crits like Console Fire (so if I dealt one which proceeded to kill someone, it would be 'my' kill) and other penalties for self-kills, but it starts leading to things getting too complicated.

I posted in the main rules question. Someone stated that at Worlds they said it counted as fleeing, which could be really bad. I guess I need to send FFG an email. They never responded to my last one.

Are the Aces High rules and tokens in the Epic expansion?

22 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

Are the Aces High rules and tokens in the Epic expansion?

Yep.

On 10/20/2019 at 11:27 PM, wurms said:

If you flee the battle field, or self destruct by flying over rock, bomb, etc. it is like fleeing and follows the same rule as fleeing. Lose 1pt, plus 1pt for each bounty on your ship. This prevents a ship with like 3 or 4 bounties about to die, just fly over a rock and have no consequences.

How do you know this? Its faq ata atournament somewhere? 🙂

On 2/2/2020 at 2:01 AM, fjulle said:

How do you know this? Its faq ata atournament somewhere? 🙂

Its what we were told at Worlds during the Aces High side event.

I am gladdened to see this thread pop up again, as the format has been somewhat on my mind. My Wednesday group played this recently, using the absolute strict rules out of the Epic Battles box as opposed to half understood copies of the last World's ruleset. And we found the out-of-the-box ruleset to be confusing and dissatisfying.

The primary alteration of our homebrew ruleset invokes revolving initiative - because otherwise middle initiative folk just plain get hosed, as do non-Ace, low-defense ships. The last couple games came down to Jedi vs. Defender, and Rey vs. Vader. In both games, these pilots represented not only the dodgiest ships, but also those flying as first and last player - irrespective of using standard bidding to assign first player or using a die roll to simply determine first player and moving clockwise 'round the table. Games were four and five players respectively. And when I say "came down to," I mean that those players each had five earned victory points, while the other players had anywhere from zero to two. The early games where we used revolving initiative made planning MUCH more difficult, entertaining, and impactful, and further resulted in much more balanced scoring at the end.

We have also ruled that flying over a rock or bomb in order to take that first point of health and deny points is just not sporting - the first ATTACK to deal damage gets that victory point regardless of the ship's actual health status. I mean, yes, jank and shenanigans, but let's be fair - the format is seemingly built to encourage combat, so let's REALLY encourage combat. I really like the above bit (about purposefully flying over a rock to take the last damage and prevent losing the bounty) concerning purposeful self-harm as effectively fleeing. Again, feels thematically appropriate and sportsmanlike.

And speaking of bounties: we found the (lack of explicit) distinction between "bounty" tokens and "victory point" tokens confusing. This lead to some extreme scoring errors in one game, which badly exacerbated the above outlined problems with initiative. We like the format, generally, especially when used with the Environment cards. But I've been tasked with writing a sort of flow chart to better explain scoring.

A few things stand out to me after trying this out, and I’d be curious to hear what you guys think.

• a clockwise rotating initiative sounds like a great idea
  • a timed game sounds preferable to the suggested 6 points game

That being said, what is the point of the points that you gather for first hits, etc that aren’t the ones you need to win the game? In the original rules they were part of the 6 points that are needed to end the game, but using a timed game removes the need for that game mechanism.

Would it make sense in a timed game to get rid of the side points and only play with bounties for the kill? According to the rules, unless I’m reading them wrong, those determine the winner.

thoughts?