Aces High rules?

By LUZ_TAK, in X-Wing Epic Play

@wurms posted this rules as he remembered in another thread. Can anyone confirm/correct them?

1) Ship build (any size) up to 80pts (all upgrades legal as far as I know)

2) 4-players

3) Score 1pt for first blood (first damage to an enemy ship)

4) 1pt for kill shot + 1 bounty point (which can be taken if you die?) So shooting first and not necessarily moving last may be key to winning)

5) Dying loses you 1pt (and all bounties or just one bounty? not sure)

zM2blcr.jpg

56 minutes ago, LUZ_TAK said:

@wurms posted this rules as he remembered in another thread. Can anyone confirm/correct them?

1) Ship build (any size) up to 80pts (all upgrades legal as far as I know)

2) 4-players

3) Score 1pt for first blood (first damage to an enemy ship)

4) 1pt for kill shot + 1 bounty point (which can be taken if you die?) So shooting first and not necessarily moving last may be key to winning)

5) Dying loses you 1pt (and all bounties or just one bounty? not sure)

1) Can be any build size. 80pts is what they used at the Worlds event. Paper has different recommendations from 50pt - 125pt.

2) 4-6, I would say. 3 feels like 1 person just get ganged up on, and when a ship has to turn around and not in the fight, then its just a 1v1. 4 is perfect. 6 was fun, but I wouldnt go above that as it just gets crowded.

3) 1pt for first damage to a full health ship. So if a ship regens one shield and goes back to full then you could plink another point from it.

4) Earn 2pts per kill + 1pt for each bounty the destroyed ship had . Your ship then gains a bounty. Any bounties on your ship at the end of game count as points.

5) No lost points for being destroyed. But you lose all bounties, and they become points for the player that destroyed you.

If you flee the battle field, or self destruct by flying over rock, bomb, etc. it is like fleeing and follows the same rule as fleeing. Lose 1pt, plus 1pt for each bounty on your ship. This prevents a ship with like 3 or 4 bounties about to die, just fly over a rock and have no consequences.

6) Some rules are still unclear. During the aces high event, judge says bombs and mines will not count as damage from the player who dropped them. They basically just become neutral gamemat obstacles. Our playgroup in our own games afterwards changed ot to reward the ship that drops devices. Made sense to us.

7) Play to a time limit, 45min-1hr recommended. Setting a point limit to 6pts can happen real quick depending on ships. Time limit works better. In 1hr 15min I got to 16pts in one match.

Awesome, txs

12 hours ago, wurms said:

7) Play to a time limit, 45min-1hr recommended. Setting a point limit to 6pts can happen real quick depending on ships. Time limit works better. In 1hr 15min I got to 16pts in one match.

Thanks for the in depth write up, I'll be running one of these as a tournament myself so good to know.

On 10/20/2019 at 2:27 PM, wurms said:

zM2blcr.jpg

1) Can be any build size. 80pts is what they used at the Worlds event. Paper has different recommendations from 50pt - 125pt.

2) 4-6, I would say. 3 feels like 1 person just get ganged up on, and when a ship has to turn around and not in the fight, then its just a 1v1. 4 is perfect. 6 was fun, but I wouldnt go above that as it just gets crowded.

3) 1pt for first damage to a full health ship. So if a ship regens one shield and goes back to full then you could plink another point from it.

4) Earn 2pts per kill + 1pt for each bounty the destroyed ship had . Your ship then gains a bounty. Any bounties on your ship at the end of game count as points.

5) No lost points for being destroyed. But you lose all bounties, and they become points for the player that destroyed you.

If you flee the battle field, or self destruct by flying over rock, bomb, etc. it is like fleeing and follows the same rule as fleeing. Lose 1pt, plus 1pt for each bounty on your ship. This prevents a ship with like 3 or 4 bounties about to die, just fly over a rock and have no consequences.

6) Some rules are still unclear. During the aces high event, judge says bombs and mines will not count as damage from the player who dropped them. They basically just become neutral gamemat obstacles. Our playgroup in our own games afterwards changed ot to reward the ship that drops devices. Made sense to us.

Down for a demo Wednesday?

6 hours ago, pakirby said:

Down for a demo Wednesday?

Cant this week. Just got back from Worlds. Need to earn some wife points back

What about initiative/ first player??

according to normal rules?

or an alternating system?

16 hours ago, Tellonius said:

What about initiative/ first player??

according to normal rules?

or an alternating system?

It’s in the epic rules reference

“Free-For-All
To determine player order, each player is assigned a player number arbitrarily. To do this quickly, take numbered ship ID tokens with numbers corresponding to the number of players (e.g. if there are four players, use ID tokens #1, #2, #3, and #4). Randomize them in a cup or hand, then give one to each player at random. Then, players should arrange themselves around the table by their number as the scenario setup diagram dictates.
Additionally, in Free-for-All scenarios, effects are resolved in descending player order.”

On 10/22/2019 at 11:44 AM, pakirby said:

Another question came up:

a) 'scoring' means actual points you have. You should keep track of/ writing them down somewhere.

These cannot be taken from you (except as penalty when you flee).

b) the points placed on the ship card are not 'scored points', because these can be 'captured' when you are destroyed.

Did I get that right??

THX again, well try it tonight!

PS: are there any streamed games of Aces High on YouTube??

Edited by Tellonius

I call them "scoring" points and "bounty" points.

The devs streamed a game when they presented Epic. Check FFG youtube channel.

The part I don't get is the respawn - how do you determine which of the 4 spawn points to start on?

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

The part I don't get is the respawn - how do you determine which of the 4 spawn points to start on?

We played it that you pick.

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

You pick one then roll for which spot on the template to line up your guides with.

And a critical result a wildcard type roll or a hit?

22 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

You pick one then roll for which spot on the template to line up your guides with.

Since the rules state, "each player with no ship in play rolls 1 attack die, and then restores their destroyed ship, placing it back in play with its rear guides at any position on one of the hyperspace points matching the symbol rolled." When we played it, the player rolled the attack die first and then selected which hyperspace point to restore their ship at.

On 11/10/2019 at 6:12 AM, pakirby said:

It’s in the epic rules reference

“Free-For-All
To determine player order, each player is assigned a player number arbitrarily. To do this quickly, take numbered ship ID tokens with numbers corresponding to the number of players (e.g. if there are four players, use ID tokens #1, #2, #3, and #4). Randomize them in a cup or hand, then give one to each player at random. Then, players should arrange themselves around the table by their number as the scenario setup diagram dictates.
Additionally, in Free-for-All scenarios, effects are resolved in descending player order.”

So this player order completely replaces original initiative??

...meaning Soontir may get arc-dodged by that ini 1 A-Wing; when player order is determined randomly??

9 minutes ago, Tellonius said:

So this player order completely replaces original initiative??

...meaning Soontir may get arc-dodged by that ini 1 A-Wing; when player order is determined randomly??

No, I believe that Player Order replaces First Player bids. If you have six players, and all their ships have a different init value I'd imagine that's the order the ships activate. But if multiple ships have the same init value, the order in which they activate would be based on Player Order. Need to re-read, but I don't think Epic Battles replaces ship initiative.

36 minutes ago, Faerie1979 said:

No, I believe that Player Order replaces First Player bids. If you have six players, and all their ships have a different init value I'd imagine that's the order the ships activate. But if multiple ships have the same init value, the order in which they activate would be based on Player Order. Need to re-read, but I don't think Epic Battles replaces ship initiative.

That was my read of it too. And was how we've played it every time, though surprisingly we rarely end up (in our 4 player games) with multiple ships of the same Initiative.

It's probably more likely to have happen in an 8 person match.

Considering there are 6 initiatives and 8 players, yeah, I'd say it's pretty likely.

2 hours ago, Contrapulator said:

Considering there are 6 initiatives and 8 players, yeah, I'd say it's pretty likely.

If the point total is high enough to allow Huge ships, there's possibly 7 intuitive values, 8 for Engagement phase. Huge ships have Initiative of 7 or 8, with Engagement Initiative of 1 or 0. And certain upgrades can let a ship act on initiative 7.

5 hours ago, PartridgeKing said:

That was my read of it too. And was how we've played it every time, though surprisingly we rarely end up (in our 4 player games) with multiple ships of the same Initiative.

When I played we had 1 I3 ship, 3 I6 ships and 4 I5 ships.

We decided to use a first player token that moved clockwise at the start of each round and then player order was clockwise from that token. If a player brought an I6 ship then they would get the benefit of having Initiative 6, but when two players brought ships at the same Initiative, neither player had a disadvantage to the other for the entire match as a result of a random pull.

Passing the first player token is a reasonable way to go. You could also break initiative ties with point bids, if you aren't using quick builds. Then only roll dice for player order when ships are tied on initiative AND points.

On 11/15/2019 at 6:29 PM, Contrapulator said:

Passing the first player token is a reasonable way to go. You could also break initiative ties with point bids, if you aren't using quick builds. Then only roll dice for player order when ships are tied on initiative AND points.

Well, I especially like that the bid-war is nullified!

And with eg 50 points (lightweight) there’s just no room for a bid.

Plus I like the habit (at least with us) to staple 'unnecessary' but fun and crazy upgrades on a ship.

We tried quick builds once, but considered them to be too powerful! The points were updated a couple times - but the quick builds were not!

wedge + R4 + ProTorps + outmanoeuvre as thread level 3 ..... OP! NPE! ETC!

Edited by Tellonius
On 11/16/2019 at 5:02 AM, Tellonius said:

We tried quick builds once, but considered them to be too powerful! The points were updated a couple times - but the quick builds were not!

wedge + R4 + ProTorps + outmanoeuvre as thread level 3 ..... OP! NPE! ETC!

Each quick build pip is roughly 25 points, making that quickbuild Wedge 75 points while a regular Wedge with those upgrades would be 76 points.