Excel based Character Sheet

By Memetix, in Rogue Trader

Homeworld traits in the final sheet are marked as "acquisitions" in DH mode, unless I just did something wrong (on a mac, for reference)

Starx - can I clarify a few things?

Firstly, I'm glad to hear it is still working on the Mac.

By the Final sheet I'm assuming you mean the "Character Sheet" sheet. The acquisitions section on the character sheet shows what ever has been typed into the Acquisitions data entry box on the Equipment sheet, unless you are a Psyker, when the acquisitions are appended to the gear section and the Acquisitions section is replaced with all your Psyker information.

What are the "Homeworld" traits you are talking about and what do you see on the Character sheet in the Acquisitions section?

If you are running a version of Mac Excel that supports macros, can you email me your save file please? If not, the saved .xls would be fine.

On a side note, I am aware that a few people have created characters (Orks) with too many starting talents to fit on the Talent summary sheet.
I'm working on a fix for this.

I've found a small problem while creating an Ork Freebooter:

If I choose the Evil Suns Klan with Tech-Use as Trained Skill and combine it with the Orky Know-Wotz Mekboy (also grants Tech-Use as Trained Skill), I find myself with Tech-Use +20 instead of +10.
Maybe this is an error with the script for summing up several instances of training for a single skill.

Leviathan, thanks for the feedback. I've identified the bug and will fix it in the next release.

I can't seem to figure out how to level a character up.

I go to the advancement screen after I have spent enough XP to level, but the down box for rank 2 has nothing but white in it.

Am I just doing it wrong?

FarseerWraith07 said:

I can't seem to figure out how to level a character up.

I go to the advancement screen after I have spent enough XP to level, but the down box for rank 2 has nothing but white in it.

Am I just doing it wrong?

Also, I have tried opening it in Office 2010 as well as Office 2003

Farseer - that is an odd bug you've found. I haven't seen that one myself.

Off the top of my head, could it be that the down list is scrolled down and the real options (at the top) are not visible.

If you can email me the .rtc file I'll see if I can reproduce the error. What career is your character?

Will send it on over.

The character is a Psyker, but I have tried generating other classes with the same results.

I got this version of your spreadsheet from Dark Reign, if that makes any difference.

Well the down box is completely blank, not just out of range.

I tried it again on Office 2003, and it seemed to work, the only issue with it is that it was ultra slow.

Still does not work with Office 2010.

Having looked into Farseer's issue it appears that on his version of Office 2010, the spreadsheet is somewhat corrupted when opened (in compatibility mode). The pulldown menus are not referring to the correct cells and therefore appearing as blank.

Can I do a straw poll please? Is anyone else who uses 2010 seeing the same problems?

Alternatively, are there 2010 users out there that are seem to be working correctly?

I appologise if it sounds like I'm sending out a stream of complaints, but this sheet is really useful and I'm bored and like building characters.

Rogue Trader character class lacks the +10 advancement for Common Lore (Rogue Traders), should be at rank 4 and 200 XP.

Keep the feedback and bugs coming, its is only through all the good testing that it gets better.

I've been adding in the Radicals Handbook data today, expect a release soon.

I noticed a couple things, the sollex background is missing the skills and talents it is supposed to come with, you get the stat and insanity modifiers though. And the Mechanator array is missing its stat modifiers when you select it.

I was having the same problem as farseer. I'm on a Mac and using Office 2011. The only down menu I noticed the problem with was the advancements one. I didn't know anything about excel, but I really wanted to get the **** thing to work, extremely helpful for making my NPC's. Basically for anyone who needs to fix this before a proper update you need to UNHIDE sheet 6 I think (whichever one is CAREER RANKS) and unprotect the advancement sheet. Then in each of the rank selection downs run nthe DATA>VALIDATION command. That will automatically shoot you over to the hidden Career Ranks sheet, once there you just redfine the fields it's looking at. There is a grey set of fields at the upper right of that page, starts with K2 to K7 (I think) for first rank. Just do that for every down rank field, it's pretty easy, then save the sheet, voila, Office 2010-2011 problem solved. I'm not entirely sure if I managed to articulate that correctly.... hope it helps someone.

Thanks for the help with the 2010/2011 problem.

I have tracked it down and will release a proper fix in the next couple of hours, along with the new Radicals Handbook material.

Basically, Excel does not allow you to refer to cells in another sheet when setting up down menus. The only way around this is to use a named range on the other sheet and refer to that. In all the other down menus I had done exactly that, however the rank advancement menus referred to the Career Ranks sheet directly and hence produced a rather random effect in 2010/11 but worked fine in 2003 and 2010.

I've updated the Sollex (Thanks Ragoth) but I've left the stat adjustments of the Machinator array as a manual update by the user, but I have prompted that this needs to be done manually. The "Bonus" column on the Character Generator sheet is designed exactly for this sort of thing.

Just have to say what a fantastic tool and I can't wait for the Radical Handbook/Deathwatch updates.

I've got some of the DW upgrade tables (namely Tactical Specialty and Generic Marine) already typed into excel as part of my own character creation sheet, if these would be of help to you PM me an e-mail address and I'll send it over.

Thanks again for a brilliant tool.

Surak

I think there will be a LOT of data entry needed for Deathwatch so any offers of help will be gratefully received. My email address is on the instructions sheet Surak, so please send over your data. I don't have access to the Deathwatch book as yet.

Version 5.3 with Radicals Handbook support is online now.

Found another, Master Chirurgeon, does not add the +10 bonus to medicae.

Again with the bothering, it is possible to create a high-level character (Explorator level 7, in this case) whose skills overflow the character sheet. There is a Data Overflow notice on the CharGen sheet.

Hi,

I don't know much about Excel, but if you think it is worth the trouble you could tell me what information you need in what in what format I would use my work ... erm my spare time to gather some data. I am useless at "programming" in Excel but if you only need raw data like "Space Marine General Abilities Rank 1-8" I am here to help as I am duly impressed by your sheet and your effort. I am actually "training" myself by unlocking your sheets and retrace how it is done. If you think this might be helpful email me at [email protected]

Regards

Einbauschrank

I have addressed the issues mentioned recently, in particular the data overflow (too many skills) issue. I have slightly extended the character sheet, giving 5 more skill slots and 1 extra melee weapon.

Version 5.31 is now online.

Spelling:

"A tatse (!) for Warp" talent for the Nomadic Navigator.

Memetix said:

I have addressed the issues mentioned recently, in particular the data overflow (too many skills) issue. I have slightly extended the character sheet, giving 5 more skill slots and 1 extra melee weapon.

Version 5.31 is now online.

First I want to say: Thanks for putting so much effort into that project. Whoever knows Heroforge for D&D, knows how extremely usefull an excel spreadsheet is, for number-crunching games and beeing aware of what options are available to a given character at a time. (o.-)b

Second: Found a bug, at least I think it is - not all too familiar with Dark Heresy yet-. If you select Dark Heresy at the character-generation and utilize the Homeworld "Blighted Schola", you're correctly given two options for your character, however the options provided are slightly off. You get the choice between:

Option-tab 1: "Whispers" and "Wrath of the Righteous"

Option-tab 2: "Pistol Training (Las)" and "Pistol Training (SP)"

Option 2 is entirely correct, but Option 1 is a weeee bit off the scale, given "Wrath of the Righteous" is an Adepta Sororita talent of the "Militant" career-path in the Dark Heresy-system and "Whispers" not even beeing from any Dark Heresy rulebook. The correct variants for Option 1 should be "Basic Weapon Training (Las)" vs. "Basic Weapon Training (SP)". The source is the Inquisitor's Handbook, Page 18, listed under "Skill at Arms", which the "Blighted Schola" and "Schola Progenium"-homeworld share.

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work (^.^)

Thanks for all the feedback. Release 5.33 is now online.

I've worked on the bugs mentioned here and updated the Power Sheet so that it works correctly for Adepts and Ascended characters that were not originally Imperial Psykers.

A bug in the processing of Navigator powers has been fixed so that the second and third time a power is taken is reported correctly (power goes from Novice to Adept to Master as expected)

Hi.
I have been using version 4.71 for some time and is finding it very usefull.

I just downloaded Version 5.33 and it is really great.
but i am sorry to say that miss the "modern" character sheet option, and I hope you will be using this again in later versions.

Thank you for your hard work on this project :-)

Thanks from Denmark