Excel based Character Sheet

By Memetix, in Rogue Trader

My group is starting a rogue trader campaign next week and, having some spare time, I have created an all singing and dancing spreadsheet to aid with character creation and subsequent advancement. It supports all careers, origin path, skills and talents and tracks XP spent.

It is written in Excel (2007) and mostly works in 2003. There is a printable custom character sheet (2 landscape pages) and a fully functional front and back sheet that print with the official character sheet image as a watermark. However due to a bug with image scaling in Excel 2003, this part only works in 2007.

I could do with some "play testers" to find any bugs and a place to post it on the internet.

Any recommendations for internet file stores or volunteers for testing?

I will definitely check it out once you have uploaded it somewhere. Sounds great!

Looking at it now i must say good job, I haven't done a run-through yet but it looks like it's clean and in order. If i find any issues i'll let you know.

[Edit]

On the talent's page after i select a talent and attempt to place a value in the box for XP i get a read only error that states that it is protected. I un-protect the sheet and (I'm assumeing that the math is sopousto be automatic) the math does nothing.

The talents list there is a space of 7-8 lines with out a drop down menu. after the first.

Some of the talents have the bonouses or explanations to them, but not all, and not both. EX: Armor of contempt "resistant to corroupton" Should read "Reduces Corrouption points by 1, WP test to ignore all Corrouption points for 1 round" Or something like that.

When Printing the sheet (Front) the checks for the skills are off about 1/4 inch to the right, and 1/16th of an inch down, (Left side of the sheet) Same with the stats at the top of the page. And the skills need to come down 1/16th and over 1/16th on the right side of the skill list. Psychic Disciplines print out is about 1/2 inch too high, Psychic Techniques is off too the same, (And there is not enough room, No your fault) Most of this could be because of my printer settings and wanting to use all of the real-estate on my 81/2 X 11 pages.

It looks really good!

As other have pointed out there is a problem with the Talents page. The down menu only works for the first line. Other features I would like is the possibility to pay xp for other things than talents and skills. As an explorator you can pay 200xp to upgrade your bionics and cybernetics at character creation. This could easily be done with the option of typing some of the talents yourself. Would be good if xp spend like this would add to the total.

Also a way to display unnatural stats would be great. Maybe have a box to check off if you have an unnatural strength or whatever and make it appear on the finished sheet.

Thanks for the great work.

I have submitted a new release to Dark Reign (version 2.1) that addresses the following issues.

1. The protected cells on the talent sheet
  2. The Lack of pulldown menu on lines 2-8 on the talent sheet
  3. The font in the gear section now matches the image backsize
  4. Rank did not display until 5000 xp was spent
  5. Armour type can now be entered and displayed
  6. XP spent on bionic upgrades can now be entered
  7. Support for unnatural talents

I am aware that the backsizing may be an issue for no A4 paper sizes so I have added a release notes section on how to tweak the settings as well as how to update the description of each talent. I took these from the summary in the manual and as E.X.A said, these are not always very descriptive.

If someone has a better list, let me know and I will incorporate them. My email address is in the spreadsheet.

Note: It may take some time to for the upload to become available so check you are getting release version 2.1 (not 2.01)

There is a list of the talents with a better description on DarkReign called RT Talent List Table (Printer Friendly)

For some reason I cannot paste the adress but you can find it in the download section, Gaming Aids page 4. Hope this helps.

xp used on talents don't add to anything.

This is, by the way, the best sheet I have seen so far.

Hi all

Thanks again for the feedback, I have managed to address most of the issues mentioned on this forum (and a few others from my gaming group).

I liked the alternative talent descriptions, however they were too long to fit into the space available on the sheet so I have not implemented them.
I have added a rules summary to the talents sheet, and this can now be printe alongside the talents which provides good background on the rules, talents and traits for new players. I expanded the talents section (some backgrounds had more free talents than fitted) and added a free form section at the bottom for special abilities and any other traits/talents acquired that are not on in the standard rules.

The armour type is now correctly displayed on the offical sheets and all unnatural characteristics are applied to the approriate skills (movement speeds, wounds, lifting weights etc.)

The bug with xp on the talents sheet has been fixed.

I hope this will be the last release (for a while at least) happy.gif

The latest release is 2.12 and is availalbe for download on the Dark Reign site www.darkreign40k.com/drjoomla/index.php

It is in the Character Sheet section, titled Rogue Trader Character Sheet 2.12

Enjoy.

Looks very great. Thanks a lot for this sheet.

I don't see that the armor type is being displayed at the main sheet? Not that it matters much, but you did write something about it should be displayed. I take it that it should say Carapace somewhere?

And thanks for all your work. This is exactly the kind of sheet I have been looking for =D

This is a fantastic sheet - thank you for your hard work Memetix!!

Sorry the armor type works fine. I was looking at the wrong sheet. I am planning on using the Character Sheet as it has room for more description of talents etc.

Only thing I have found so far is when you type the 3rd special ability description this doesn't appear on the character sheet. Other than that everything works perfect for me.

Thanks again Memetix!

Now even better!

Release 3.0 includes a more intuitive talent sheet that knows all talents for your career and rank and whether you meet the prerequisites.

Also support support for the "talented" talent, all psychic techniques and navigator powers. Sound constitution is now summarised in the talents section to save space (i.e. if you take 3 sound constitutions it displays as "Sound Constitution x 3"

Added all Secret tongues in skill list. Fixed the fonts on the character sheet to be compatible with Excel 2003 and bugs with jump length and initial wounds.

Version 3.0 is now on the Dark Reign site.

http://www.darkreign40k.com/drjoomla/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=38&Itemid=39

(In case anyone's wondering, it doesn't work in OpenOffice Calc.)

I have a new version of the spreadsheet 3.15.

This contains VB code to load and save your characters which means that any future updates to the base sheet will not require you to re-enter your character data. If you don't enable macros in the sheet, these buttons will not work.

It also includes full support for all skills according to your rank and career.

I am trying to upload the new version to Dark Reign but there seems to be a problem with the upload process at the moment, so keep an eye on site for an update.

It works fine for me in Open Office Calc, though I haven't tried to print it on the actual sheet. So far this sheet has been invaluable to me for creating characters and NPCs quickly and efficiently. I wish there was one for Dark Heresy that would work with the Radical's Handbook!

As for the utility itself- I found a minor problem with the way the new talent sheet works:

I am trying to create an Astropath to act as a nemesis for my PCs. At one point in his origin path, he was tainted with mutation, resulting in the Wyrdling trait (boosting his starting psy rating and giving him extra psychic techniques.) I can add in the extra techniques manually, but I am having problems adjusting the Psy Rating. Any suggestions on how to do that, or are you going to update the sheet for instances such as this in the future? Also, I've only been able to add in the modifiers to the Origin path characteristic modifiers manually. What am I doing wrong?

Version 3.17 now available at Dark Reign

Fixes a bug in the loader that affects the tick boxes on the talents sheet and the non-standard armour type from previous saves files

Also allows override of the XP for rank 2 characters (default is 7000). In our campaign the GM allows us to level up at 6000 so this is now a house rule option on the data entry sheet.

Seems the forge world origin adds 3 to Will Power.

Thanks for your feedback.

FoxPhoenix - I have no plans (as yet) to support all the mutation types so I'm afraid you'll need to add the Mutation bonuses in the elite advances section in the mean time. Alternatively, you can tick a greyed out advance, so you could tick the Psy rating 3 talent and adjust the XP cost to 0.

Zero - I can't replicate your bug. Can you email me your saved character (The .rtc file) please?

Sorry to alarm you. This was actually caused by the Tainted: Deviant Philosophy. It didn't give the bonus in previous edition and therefore I became confused.

And unfortunately I can't save the character, but I guess this is because I am running excel on my mac.

Other than that, great work. You could add a few more spaces for the elite advances, as I am planing / hoping to get further implants ;)

Thanks!

Zero - I'm glad to know that the sheet works on the Mac - I think I could adjust the VB code to fix the load/save features. Would you be able to test the changes for me?

Is so, could you email me and I will endeavor to email you a beta release in the next few days.

Thanks

I have just posted version 3.19 on the Dark Reign site.

www.darkreign40k.com/drjoomla/index.php/component/docman/cat_view/38-character-sheets

It contains improvements to the elite advances section (more space and the ability to sub categories for talents such as "Talented", "Navigator power" etc.) as well as an improved description of the Face of the enemy trait that takes into account the hatred choice taken at character creation.

In the next major release I plan to implement all the dark heresy skills, talents and careers.

I may create a new character sheet as well, based on the layout of the official sheet, but with more space for talents. Any suggestions for features?
I will try to make the current landscape sheet work with both settings (Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader).

The current release (3.20) contains a few minor bug fixes and an ammo tracker (requires macros to be enabled). It is available on the Dark Reign site in the normal place.

Is there any way to align the background graphic with the text when printing the Front and Back sheets?

On my printer (Cannon MP530), the registration is so off as to make those sheets unusable. The background is too high and too far to the right.

Looks great on the print preview. :)