The Y-Wing appreciation thread.

By KCDodger, in X-Wing Off-Topic

7 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

That’s funny, the FIRST word hands down that comes into my head to describe the Y-Wing is workhorse .

(Easy Target also comes to mind 🤣 )

Someone has being doing their Canon and EU research 🥂

Oh you know why it's the first word that comes to mind! You know exactly why.

Now...

For some flavor text.

The Y-Wing is the oldest Starfighter still in official military service, predating other contemporaries such as the ARC-170, V-Wing and other Clone Wars fighters. Out of all of them, it has the most decorated service record, notably used against The Malevolence, both Death Stars, and now has been employed to fight The First Order, and the rising Sith threat, once again.

The most shocking aspect of this fighter is that its spaceframe dates back to its initial run of The Clone Wars. Y-Wings serving today are sometimes older than every generation of pilot that had flown it, and a handful had seen most of the aforementioned battles.

The BTA-NR2 Y-Wing Starfighter has been streamlined, with additional cowling added to the rear structure of the vessel and the thrusters overhauled for superior agility- largely to offset the refit canopy that is slightly more aerodynamic, and has been extended to facilitate a manned, well protected gunner, much like its Old Republic grandfather- lessons learned from both eras that came before it.

The BTA-NR2 is more agile that its predecessors, and is capable of fielding auxiliary modern technologies alongside everything that came before it. It may lack the superior protective plating of its forebear, but it makes up for it in increased maneuverability.

Though it is 56 years old, the Y-Wing is expected to continue its fight, until there is simply no fight left to be fought.

Considering the state of the galaxy, that this is the last time the Y-Wing will respond to the call of duty, is unlikely.

So here's my predictions.

More blues on its dial. If not more blues, straight up less reds. NO idea what its ability will be, but I suspect it will have one. Will keep its bomb and torpedo slot, turret too (if the lego stuff is any indication), and will gain a tech slot. Now, here's the thing. How can it have not JUST upgrades to the Rebel Y-Wing?

Well look me in the eye and tell me the T-70 isn't flat out BETTER than the T-65. But what's the balance? Reversal of what the S-Foils does (but better, bullseye heyoooo!) and frankly, higher cost.

If you thought the Republic Y-Wing cost was unfair, just wait for this. Now then, you should also consider that the Y-Wing will have an interesting set of pilots on it too, and it'll have to be ABLE to stand up on its own.

Say it with me.

Snap on a Y-Wing. Snap on a Y-Wing.

@Captain Lackwit lol I love that voice over! But I’m sure even before that, West End Games and even the Star Wars novelization alluded to the Y-Wing being an older but mainstay craft.

1 hour ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

@Captain Lackwit lol I love that voice over! But I’m sure even before that, West End Games and even the Star Wars novelization alluded to the Y-Wing being an older but mainstay craft.

Probably, but this is where most folks first heard it referred to as a Workhorse..!

1 hour ago, Captain Lackwit said:

The most shocking aspect of this fighter is that its spaceframe dates back to its initial run of The Clone Wars.

Sounds like the irl A-10 and B-52. Though both of those are starting to run out of spare parts since their production runs ended 3+ decades ago. With as large as the populated area of the SW galaxy is I wouldn't doubt Koensayr kept using the same core spaceframe in its design while marketing the Y-Wing to regional militias (so Sullust, Cato Nemodia, Duro, etc having their own smaller local military forces for anti-piracy and other uses), both Mid and Outer rim, during the demilitarization/decentralization of New Republic military power under Mon Mothma. Local fleets of proven work horse designs (some older, some newer depending on the "local" budget) backed up by a smaller (relative to the Empire, late Republic and amalgamated NR era Regional) fleet or fleets of more advanced spacecraft.

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

Sounds like the irl A-10 and B-52. Though both of those are starting to run out of spare parts since their production runs ended 3+ decades ago. With as large as the populated area of the SW galaxy is I wouldn't doubt Koensayr kept using the same core spaceframe in its design while marketing the Y-Wing to regional militias (so Sullust, Cato Nemodia, Duro, etc having their own smaller local military forces for anti-piracy and other uses), both Mid and Outer rim, during the demilitarization/decentralization of New Republic military power under Mon Mothma. Local fleets of proven work horse designs (some older, some newer depending on the "local" budget) backed up by a smaller (relative to the Empire, late Republic and amalgamated NR era Regional) fleet or fleets of more advanced spacecraft.

Sounds mostly correct! I honestly wonder what Y-Wing proliferation really looks like in the star wars galaxy!

1 minute ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Sounds mostly correct! I honestly wonder what Y-Wing proliferation really looks like in the star wars galaxy!

You and me both. It was definitely common enough that paramilitary groups were able to get their hands on them.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Amaxine_warriors

Heck, reading through the Wiki pages on the BTL Y-Wing and on some of the deployments it was involved in, there would have to have been much wider production and distribution from Koensayr than just to the Rebel cells and leftover Republic ships to keep the Imps from nationalizing or eradicating Koensayr.

16 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

You and me both. It was definitely common enough that paramilitary groups were able to get their hands on them.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Amaxine_warriors

Heck, reading through the Wiki pages on the BTL Y-Wing and on some of the deployments it was involved in, there would have to have been much wider production and distribution from Koensayr than just to the Rebel cells and leftover Republic ships to keep the Imps from nationalizing or eradicating Koensayr.

Interesting. I wonder if they worked off of Rebel plans..?

Because we know the ones at Yavin were in fact Clone Wars Y-Wings that had already seen a refit of sorts... hmh.

2 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Interesting. I wonder if they worked off of Rebel plans..?

Because we know the ones at Yavin were in fact Clone Wars Y-Wings that had already seen a refit of sorts... hmh.

Possibly, or vice versa. Refitting the older ships to look like and work in the same manner as current production runs would lend to keeping the cells off the radar a bit. It would also give Koensayr just enough deniability thanks to some of those refitted older ships being captured and analyzed to keep the Empire from shutting them down. Even if Koensayr was the manufacturer of some of the refit components, resales of the components to the cells by secondary vendors would add a honest and demonstrable "we didn't sell to them" layer. Would suck for the reseller though.

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

Possibly, or vice versa. Refitting the older ships to look like and work in the same manner as current production runs would lend to keeping the cells off the radar a bit. It would also give Koensayr just enough deniability thanks to some of those refitted older ships being captured and analyzed to keep the Empire from shutting them down. Even if Koensayr was the manufacturer of some of the refit components, resales of the components to the cells by secondary vendors would add a honest and demonstrable "we didn't sell to them" layer. Would suck for the reseller though.

Clever! Koensayr at it again.

Reminder that this is still the coolest ship in Star Wars.

17 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Reminder that this is still the coolest ship in Star Wars.

@Captain Lackwit what do you think of this contender though ?

4 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Oh I quite like it. It's very cool.

Still, it's no Y-Wing. Almost nothing compares. The only true contenders are the U-Wing and HWK-290.

12 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Still, it's no Y-Wing. Almost nothing compares. The only true contenders are the U-Wing and HWK-290.

That’s entirely how I feel about the Death Star with continent sized TIE wing panels on its side. Best TIE evar !

16 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

That’s entirely how I feel about the Death Star with continent sized TIE wing panels on its side. Best TIE evar !

Hull Value, 3,000,000.

EGH4FcpXUAAjTqi?format=jpg&name=4096x409 EGH4HTFWoAITiU0?format=jpg&name=4096x409

HOKAY

So it turns out I was wrong about a few things, it is indeed a new model of Y-Wing but boy howdy you sure could have fooled me, Disney. Yikes! But that's not a bad thing. Turns out it really is better in every imaginable way, and it looks like this is the Y-Wing that more or less made its way across the galaxy in the last few decades. Which is pretty cool. Even cooler, one could actually procure "Replica" armor plating that resembled the clone wars variant. Honestly, I'd be pretty hype to see that.

This thing is almost exactly what the T-70 and RZ-2 were to their predecessors. So expect raw upgrades across the board with next to no drawbacks.

I'm quite a fan of the sleek, aerodynamic...ish, frame on this ship. As always, post-war rebel designs are just flat out better. But that's not to say I don't love the classic BTL-A4 anymore. I sure do.

I just know straight improvement when I see it. The oooooonly outstanding issue...

Is the fact that its ion turret, without a way to adjust depression on the mount, is stuck shooting backwards or to the sides. Which, if you wanna' disable something ahead of you, is an issue. But, blaster cannon tips DO have gimbals anyway... So, ****. Maybe it's a non issue.

Anyway, I think we've learned about all we can of this fighter until the film comes out, or game(s) featuring it become playable.

This is Kara, signing off on the BTA-NR2 Y-Wing, until further notice.

p71tn5erbes31.jpg

@Captain Lackwit this things are a pain to build.

6 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

p71tn5erbes31.jpg

@Captain Lackwit this things are a pain to build.

LITERALLY.

g43vcifidbu31.jpg

Ralph McQuarrie on the top.

Just now, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

g43vcifidbu31.jpg

Ralph McQuarrie on the top.

We need a GIF of this badas Y-Wing action! Can't wait for a white barrel rolling Y-Wing.

Zorri Bliss
I5

After you fully execute an action, if an enemy ship is in your bullseye arc, you may perform one Red Focus.

Expert Handling and Primed Thrusters become stapled on Zorri, unless her barrel roll is already white.

Even though it seems to have been incidental, it's incredibly cool.

14 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

Even though it seems to have been incidental, it's incredibly cool.

Oh, burned into our collective psyche is called incidental now? Got it.

@Captain Lackwit

qqh1rqst6cu31.jpg

A surprise to be sure, but a very welcome one!

Just now, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

@Captain Lackwit

qqh1rqst6cu31.jpg

A surprise to be sure, but a very welcome one!

I’d like to you guys stat that one up!

🤣 🤣

1 hour ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

I’d like to you guys stat that one up!

🤣 🤣

You asked...

This is from looking at the model itself, not from anything involving the Resistance era Y-Wing.

M-Wing

2 Icon arc standard back

2 Icon arc single turret

Agility 1

Hull 6

Shields 3 (seems to be what the sequel ships other than the RZ-2 are having done to them)

Ability: From ineptitude, forged were you : Your Icon arc single turret cannot be rotated to your Icon arc standard back . Treat your Upgrade torpedo upgrade Icon arc standard front requirement as Icon arc standard back . If you would drop a Device, you must launch it instead using the same template.

Dial:

1: white banks, blue straight

2: white straight, red banks and turns

3: red straight and banks

4: red K-Turn

(note: it is flying backwards, the blue 1 straight and any whites is being generous)

Slots: Upgrade tech Upgrade gunner Upgrade astromech Upgrade modification Upgrade device Upgrade torpedo

Actions: Red Focus, Lock, Red Reload, Red Barrel Roll, Rotate

Edited by Hiemfire
5 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

You asked...

This is from looking at the model itself, not from anything involving the Resistance era Y-Wing.

M-Wing

2 Icon arc standard back

2 Icon arc single turret

Agility 1

Hull 6

Shields 3 (seems to be what the sequel ships other than the RZ-2 are having done to them)

Ability: From ineptitude, forged were you : Your Icon arc single turret cannot be rotated to your Icon arc standard back . Treat your Upgrade torpedo upgrade Icon arc standard front requirement as Icon arc standard back . If you would drop a Device, you must launch it instead using the same template.

Dial:

1: white banks, blue straight

2: white straight, red banks and turns

3: red straight and banks

4: red K-Turn

(note: it is flying backwards, the blue 1 straight and any whites is being generous)

Slots: Upgrade tech Upgrade gunner Upgrade astromech Upgrade modification Upgrade device Upgrade torpedo

Actions: Red Focus, Lock, Red Reload, Red Barrel Roll, Rotate

Brilliant ! 💕