The Y-Wing appreciation thread.

By KCDodger, in X-Wing Off-Topic

latest?cb=20171129235141

This is the true icon of justice and all things right throughout The Galaxy. Let's talk for a minute about that.

The BTL-B Y-Wing entered service during the early years of The Clone Wars, first flown in a long range strike operation in an effort to destroy The Malevolence , or at least its ultra-heavy Ion Cannon superweapon, capable of disabling entire fleets in a single blow, rendering them helpless. The Y-Wing's first flight against this weapon of terror was successful, the vessel later brought down by combined Republic efforts. Thoroughly impressing the brass and its mettle proven by Anakin Skywalker himself, The Y-Wing became a staple of The Republic fleet, though something of an unsung hero.

reklam-station_a5c15acd.jpeg?region=0,0,

Following The Clone Wars, the BTL-B Y-Wing was retrofitted and eventually decommissioned, universally being sent to scrap yards, as The Galactic Empire had no use for a long range, multi-crewed Strike Bomber. Its heroism done disservice by the government it once served, The old Clone Wars era Y-Wings were saved by Phoenix Squadron and crew, soon further refit into what would become the workhorse of the Yavin cell, and eventually the entire Rebellion as a whole.

y-wing-variants.jpg

The BTL-B Y-Wing was given new life, as the BTL-A4 Y-Wing. Its need for a secondary crewman was replaced, the vessel becoming a single occupant craft- shortened and lightened significantly, so that the Y-Wing could be more agile in combat. Though fussy to maintain for a ragtag Rebellion, rather than a fully armed and equipped Navy proper, The Y-Wing continued its campaign against terror under the Rebellion's Starbird, serving at the Battle of Scarif, instrumental to the Rebellion's success and securing of The Death Star Plans. Without its Ion Torpedo payload, the day would have surely been lost.
88ndct5yixwz.gif

Sadly, The Y-Wing, though employed against a weapon of terror- the greatest one yet, The Death Star- did not fare all too well. Out of the entirety of Gold Squadron, only Evaan Verlaine's Gold Three would survive the engagement, alongside Red Two, Red Five, and The Millennium Falcon, famously flown by Wedge Antilles, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Chewbacca. Most unfortunately, no Y-Wing ever made it to the Exhaust Port, and if not for the X-Wings carrying their payload, The Rebellion would have been lost that day. Tough as it may be, the Y-Wing could no longer cut it alone.
latest?cb=20120428172147

After this, the Y-Wing quietly continued its campaign against tyranny. Still successful and still useful, it made its presence known at The Battle of Endor, performing admirably alongside other strike craft such as the X-Wing and A-Wing, but overshadowed by the significantly more powerful AS/F-01 B-Wing, which had reportedly killed entire Star Destroyers during the battle, a significant achievement to be certain.

At this time, the history of The Y-Wing seemed to be coming to an end. Unable to perform as well as a Strike Craft like the X or A-Wings, and not as destructive as the incredible B-Wing, the old horse was seemingly on its last legs.

But. The New Republic had indeed commissioned Koensayr to work on a brand new type of Y-Wing.

latest?cb=20191105202637

The BTA-NR2 Y-Wing may very well be yet another refit on the now 56 year old frame. With an extended crew cabin and what looks to be a manned gunner seat, the NR2 seeks to continue its fight against evil and its weapons of absolute terror.

The Republic.
The Rebellion.
The Resistance.

The Y-Wing has always fought on the side of good, has never faltered in its faithful service, and has always come through in the end.

There is no Starfighter in Galactic History more deserving of one's respect. Even the X-Wing must respect its legacy.

The Y-Wing is an ineffable proponent of all things good, just, and right.

Edited by KCDodger

@Captain Lackwit WOW. Just wow. I don’t know what to add here. Your love for the Y - Wing is near to that of my respect for Grand Moff Tarkin. Probably as unhealthy as well.

The Y - Wing is also the first fighter new Rebels get to pilot in the introductory adventure game by West End Games Rulebook.

My dear lifelong friend Gary loves the Y - Wing and swears by them.

Cheers to old flames 🥂

And don’t forget the BTL-A4 LP "Longprobe.” A Marvel Comics creation but named and classified by WEG.

Now some things to think about.

If it was only the Y - Wing at The Battle of Yavin then the Yavin System would have a newly minted Asteroid Belt courtesy of the Death Star. (One can day dream.)

Also, in the classic TIE Fighter video game Y - Wings were by far the easiest snub fighters to kill. Really.

And one final Y - Wing story, hope this brings cheer.

FAO Schwarz Flagship in Manhattan had a midnight charity toy sale before the release of The Phantom Menace , I bought a literal cart load of toys 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️ . I got outbid by Seth Green (Robot Chicken) on several items, including, thankfully, child Ankin.

There were many out of production toys that were pulled from the FAO warehouse. I was looking at a beautiful Kenner Boxed Y - Wing debating on getting it when it got scooped up a rather attractive young man who had a toddler passed out on his arm. I offered assistance and got him a cart and commented on a cool selection.

His face stuck with me because he could have been a movie star.

Two years later, I was proven correct when I saw him on the big screen in the 2001remake of Oceans 11 and I put a name to his face: Oscar winner and Y - Wing devotee, Casey Affleck.

Have a great Sunday @Captain Lackwit

20 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

@Captain Lackwit

Gary retconned Keyan Farlander into the Battle of Yavin.

4 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Gary retconned Keyan Farlander into the Battle of Yavin.

My beef is that Keyan ended up as usual, yet another friggin' force sensitive. Still, that's pretty cool. Gotta' rep for my girl Evaan though, tough hottie, more girls is good anyway.

33 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

@Captain Lackwit WOW. Just wow. I don’t know what to add here. Your love for the Y - Wing is near to that of my respect for Grand Moff Tarkin. Probably as unhealthy as well.

The Y - Wing is also the first fighter new Rebels get to pilot in the introductory adventure game by West End Games Rulebook.

Cheers to old flames 🥂

And don’t forget the BTL-A4 LP "Longprobe.” A Marvel Comics creation but named and classified by WEG.

Now some things to think about.

If it was only the Y - Wing at The Battle of Yavin then the Yavin System would have a newly minted Asteroid Belt courtesy of the Death Star. (One can day dream.)

Also, in the classic TIE Fighter video game Y - Wings were by far the easiest snub fighters to kill. Really.

And one final Y - Wing story, hope this brings cheer.

FAO Schwarz Flagship in Manhattan had a midnight charity toy sale before the release of The Phantom Menace , I bought a literal cart load of toys 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️ . I got outbid by Seth Green (Robot Chicken) on several items, including, thankfully, child Ankin.

There were many out of production toys that were pulled from the FAO warehouse. I was looking at a beautiful Kenner Boxed Y - Wing debating on getting it when it got scooped up a rather attractive young man who had a toddler passed out on his arm. I offered assistance and got him a cart and commented on a cool selection.

His face stuck with me because he could have been a movie star.

Two years later, I was proven correct when I saw him on the big screen in the 2001remake of Oceans 11 and I put a name to his face: Oscar winner and Y - Wing devotee, Casey Affleck.

Have a great Sunday @Captain Lackwit

Yoooooooo, that's cool! I love close encounter stories like that, man. I remember the Longprobe- specifically, flying one in Star Wars Galaxies.

Fun fact.

Before I moved to a place wsith 5000 ping (HHGHRHHHHGGHARHGHHRHRGHHHHH), the last fighter I was able to fly in Galaxies properly was the Y-Wing... And I was taking out TIE Interceptors in it.

Because that's how I roll.

11 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

My beef is that Keyan ended up as usual, yet another friggin' force sensitive . Still, that's pretty cool.

That part was NOT Gary. I too had my teeth hurt when every other unknown hero later became a Jedi prospect. That’s seemed like the easy way to hand wave being the hero.

10 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

That part was NOT Gary. I too had my teeth hurt when every other unknown hero later became a Jedi prospect. That’s seemed like the easy way to hand wave being the hero.

It happened to Stele too! For reasons! Kyle Katarn at least had an arc...

🤔

As a long-serving pilot of the X-Wing PC games, we used to lovingly refer to the Y-Wing as the "Y-Shaped Coffin".

As in "Bury me in a..."

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

🤔

As a long-serving pilot of the X-Wing PC games, we used to lovingly refer to the Y-Wing as the "Y-Shaped Coffin".

As in "Bury me in a..."

I too was a pilot of the old X-Wing series. One simply cannot deny the firepower and durability of a Y-Wing.

But also that as Y-Wing pilots, we had to focus on our objectives and leave the fancy stuff to the quicker boys.

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

As in "Bury me in a..."

@FTS Gecko If there was enough of you left to bury, then you sir are a MUCH better pilot than I.

I’m pretty sure I slammed into my own torpedo once.

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun
1 hour ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

@FTS Gecko If there was enough of you left to bury, then you sir are a MUCH better pilot than I.

I’m pretty sure I slammed into my own torpedo once.

We've all been there, but I've got you both beat. I was playing BSG Diaspora, and uh... Battlestar Artillery hit me. Square in the face. Y'know, its huge guns? Somehow I was right in the trajectory... One in a million shot.

I've always had a liking for the Y-wing, from the days of the initial films, to the WEG rpg, to the board games, and now FFG. Always liked it, but always wondered, WHY it never got more love in retrofitting, like they did with the b-wing, a-wing or x..

15 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Yeah, but truth be told? Lego kits never really did much for me. I had a few, but they were typically too expensive to get more out of, and I was always one for more direct representations of the ships, LOVED my action figures. So the ones I could put my custom modified figures in were what I gravitated towards.

Oh how I would carry armories for my figures in their fighters, haha.

7 hours ago, LTuser said:

I've always had a liking for the Y-wing, from the days of the initial films, to the WEG rpg, to the board games, and now FFG. Always liked it, but always wondered, WHY it never got more love in retrofitting, like they did with the b-wing, a-wing or x..

Honestly a very good question with no real answers. Reminds me, I want to work with Melminiatures on something...

On 9/22/2019 at 3:47 PM, FTS Gecko said:

🤔

As in "Bury me in a..."

In Alliance the Y was so laughably bad. All the Y missions were basically just timer missions until interceptors showed up and chewed you to pieces.

On 9/24/2019 at 11:55 PM, LTuser said:

In order to be retrofit a ship must survive battles.

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

The Resistance Y-Wing or as it is officially called the BTA-NR2 Y-Wing.

zWqQJru.png

On 9/27/2019 at 4:38 PM, Animewarsdude said:

The Resistance Y-Wing or as it is officially called the BTA-NR2 Y-Wing.

zWqQJru.png

Just updated the OP with this picture!

This might genuinely be just a flat out refit of the classic Rebel Y-Wing.

Mel's made a mini of the new Y-Wing.

EFplJb0WkAA53Ak.jpg 710x528_29152384_15644650_1569781860.jpg EFplJgmW4AIpROf.jpg

And I saw that this leaked too.

EFpnaA3W4AAUtMF.jpg

Edited by Animewarsdude
9 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Mel's made a mini of the new Y-Wing.

EFplJb0WkAA53Ak.jpg 710x528_29152384_15644650_1569781860.jpg EFplJgmW4AIpROf.jpg

And I saw that this leaked too.

EFpnaA3W4AAUtMF.jpg

Bless Mel.

Yes, I'm quite convinced this is the exact same fighter that it always has been. There's far too many structural similarities for it NOT to be.

Bless Koensayr.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST TRANSLATED IT

ISPtznf.png
WORKHORSE
STARFIGHTER
IN USE SINCE THE
CLONE WARS

@Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S THE SAME STARFIGHTER!

THE Y-WING CONTINUES ITS FIGHT AGAINST TYRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, Captain Lackwit said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST TRANSLATED IT

ISPtznf.png
WORKHORSE
STARFIGHTER
IN USE SINCE THE
CLONE WARS

@Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S THE SAME STARFIGHTER!

THE Y-WING CONTINUES ITS FIGHT AGAINST TYRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!

That’s funny, the FIRST word hands down that comes into my head to describe the Y-Wing is workhorse .

(Easy Target also comes to mind 🤣 )

Someone has being doing their Canon and EU research 🥂