Top 5 player cards you still want

By RebelX, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

20 hours ago, Felswrath said:

Response: When Veteran of the Fords enters play, choose a player. That player may draw 1 card for each damaged Rohan character.

Or "for each Rohan character he discarded last turn" though it might be a little too convoluted for the usual approach to the game.

1 hour ago, Felswrath said:

That could become a little too overpowered I feel. I intentionally designed the card to get better with multiple players using Rohan. Rohan can be very powerful by virtue of having lots of effects that spill over to other Rohan players like Hero Elfhelm, Astonishing Speed, Eomund, and Spirit Eowyn. Astonishing Speed paired with Eomund can result in insane amounts of willpower because all Rohan characters in play get +2 willpower and are then ready for the combat phase. If Veteran of the Fords drew one card for each Rohan character, one layer could easily draw a tremendous portion of their deck very quickly.

Ah I missed that it was just character and not character you control. That’s fair then, though it makes the card much weaker for solo play, trying to get fragile characters damaged is tricky outside of Erkenbrand.

1 hour ago, Alonewolf87 said:

Or "for each Rohan character he discarded last turn" though it might be a little too convoluted for the usual approach to the game.

Refresh Action: Draw a card for each Rohan character that left play this round.

2 minutes ago, General_Grievous said:

Refresh Action: Draw a card for each Rohan character that left play this round.

Though I would still use "discarded" since it's more thematic with the whole Rohan mechanic (and to avoid combo with Sneak Attack, Lothiriel and so forth)

4 hours ago, Alonewolf87 said:

Though I would still use "discarded" since it's more thematic with the whole Rohan mechanic (and to avoid combo with Sneak Attack, Lothiriel and so forth)

But don’t we want it to work with Lothiriel?

I'm incredibly happy with the card pool we have at the moment and there aren't a whole lot of deck types I think are still severely under supported. That being said, there are two themes I think could still use some love: Rohan and Dunedain.

For Rohan, while The Muster of Rohan is already a step in the right direction, I think the Mount theme within Rohan is still not visibie enough. It would be really cool to have a Mount attachment that could go on allies, so you could run more Mount cards in a Rohan deck and get more value out of flavourful cards like Charge of the Rohirrim . I would therefore love to see the following cards:

Gárulf (Unique)
Tactics Ally (3 Cost)

1 Willpower / 3 Attack / 1 Defense / 2 HP

Rohan. Warrior.

At the end of the round, discard Gárulf from play.

Response: After Gárulf enters play, search the top 10 cards of your deck for a Mount attachment and put it into play.

Hasufel (Unique)
Spirit Attachment (2 Cost)

Mount.

Attach to a Rohan character or Aragorn. Restricted.

Response: When attached character leaves play, attach Hasufel to another eligible target instead of discarding it. Then, exhaust Hasufel.

Action: Exhaust Hasufel and deal 1 damage to attached character to ready attached character and give it +1 Willpower, +1 Attack and +1 Defense until the end of the phase.

Since it's highly likely that the hero in the last pack will be Spirit Aragorn, I think the above cards would fit in nicely in terms of lore and mechanics. Speaking of Spirit Aragon, I would love for him to be as follows:

Aragorn (Unique)
Spirit Hero (12 Threat)

2 Willpower / 3 Attack / 2 Defense / 5 HP

Dunedain. Gondor. Noble.

Sentinel.

Reduce the cost of the first ally you play each round by 1 for each Trait that ally shares with Aragorn (to a minimum of 1).

This is supposed to represent Aragorn after the events of the Return of the King when he is crowned King of Gondor. I think his change in traits reflects that, and his ability also signifies how he is able to potentially bring all races and factions together. It's also nice support for Dunedain decks, whose allies are notoriously overpriced.

To play into the high cost of Dunedain allies, and to represent their elite status and versatility on and off the battlefield, I would also love to see the following card:

Northern Veteran
Leadership Attachment (2 Cost)

Skill.

Attach to a Dunedain ally. Limit 1 per character.

Action: Exhaust Northern Veteran to choose an attribute (Willpower, Attack, Defense). Add attached ally's printed cost to its chosen attribute until the end of the phase.

I think this helps make some of the Dunedain allies feel as powerful as they are meant to be, plus it rewards you for playing those high cost allies in the first place. Additionally, it makes Dunedain decks worth playing without having to fit in 10+ cards just to keep enemies engaged to trigger all their abilities, as this card is reward enough on its own.

I think a lot of these cards would thematically fit the last pack of this cycle so I actually have good hope that some of them are printed in some form or another. At the very least it would make sense that we would get some final Dunedain support if Aragorn is indeed the last hero.

Curious to hear your thoughts!

Edited by Fantasty

Love them. At first I was skeptical about a 4 cost tactics ally that leaves play, but to not have to sphere match allows you to run a red theoden hero lineup and still get snowmane in.

Would Hasufel work? It's kind of like Treebeard hero getting song of mocked. The trigger doesn't work if something else pays the cost.

2 hours ago, player3351457 said:

Love them. At first I was skeptical about a 4 cost tactics ally that leaves play, but to not have to sphere match allows you to run a red theoden hero lineup and still get snowmane in.

Would Hasufel work? It's kind of like Treebeard hero getting song of mocked. The trigger doesn't work if something else pays the cost.

You're right about Hasufel. I just updated those two cards slightly to be a bit more streamlined :)

Some other wishes for the last pack since I'm feeling inspired atm. I truly believe one pack is enough to give us all the cards I'd still like to see; like I said, I'm already really happy with the card pool so far :)

Additional support for Aragorn and it would be cool to get a non-Fellowship version of this card:

Banner of Elendil (Unique)
Neutral Attachment (3 Cost)

Artifact. Item.

Attach to Aragorn. Restricted.

If Aragorn belongs to the Spirit sphere, each other character you control gets +1 Willpower.

If Aragorn belongs to the Tactics sphere, each other character you control gets +1 Attack.

If Aragorn belongs to the Leadership sphere, each other character you control gets +1 Defense.

If Aragorn belongs to the Lore sphere, each other character you control gets +1 HP.

Additional Valour support, because while the support of late has been good, I think we need a way to pay for those overpriced existing Valour events more easily:

The Cost of War
Leadership Event (2 Cost)

Action: Add X resources to a Noble hero's resource pool, where X is the tens digit of your threat. (Limit 4 resources.)

Valour Action: Exhaust a Noble hero to play or put into play one card from your hand for no cost.

A Frodo ally, which we desperately need. I tried to let this one synergize with the Sam ally while still being useful on his own:

Frodo Baggins (Unique)
Spirit Ally (2 Cost)

2 Willpower / 0 Attack / 1 Defense / 2 HP

Hobbit.

Response: After you raise your threat, exhaust Frodo Baggins to add 1 resource to a Hobbit hero's resource pool. (Limit once per round.)

A final Dunedain ally for more flexible engagement tricks:

Rhudaur Wanderer
Lore Ally (3 Cost)

2 Willpower / 1 Attack / 1 Defense / 2 HP

Dunedain. Ranger.

Action: Exhaust Rhudaur Wanderer to choose an enemy not engaged with you. Engage the chosen enemy.

And this last one is probably not gonna happen, but just for fun:

The White Wizard (Unique)

Title.

Attach to Gandalf or Saruman.

While The White Wizard is ready, play with the top card of the encounter deck face-up.

Action: Exhaust The White Wizard and raise your threat by 1 to discard the top card of the encounter deck.

Edited by Fantasty

I'd like to see a card are two thrown at the Woodmen and the Beornings, the two archtypes who are thinnest on the ground. Of the "major" tribes, I agree Dunedain would benefit the most from help.

Elfhelm could use more mounts.

Hama could use a different errata.

Hobbits need a Lobelia Sackville-Baggins ally

On 5/3/2020 at 6:38 PM, Fantasty said:

The White Wizard (Unique)

Title.

Attach to Gandalf or Saruman.

While The White Wizard is ready, play with the top card of the encounter deck face-up.

Action: Exhaust The White Wizard and raise your threat by 1 to discard the top card of the encounter deck.

🤣

There's no way that flies. Shadow cards come in known to all.

I thought of one similar, though. I had a non-exhausting attachment for saruman that said "look at the top card of the encounter deck. Then raise your threat by the threat of the card"

17 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

I'd like to see a card are two thrown at the Woodmen and the Beornings, the two archtypes who are thinnest on the ground. Of the "major" tribes, I agree Dunedain would benefit the most from help.

Elfhelm could use more mounts.

Hama could use a different errata.

Hobbits need a Lobelia Sackville-Baggins ally

All great options, and more mounts could combine with other mount ideas: Eagle mount (for hobbits/dwarves/wizards in times of Need haha), Treebeard Ent Mount for Hobbits, Mumakil mount for the Harad characters. And honestly another non-unique mount specific for Rohan characters, maybe when the attached Rohan ally would be discarded you may exhaust this horse too keep that character in play but put a damage on it.

Woodmen would be great to have something like Woodsmen’s Camp attachment which could be a 0 cost attachment that says “attach to a location in play, limit 1 per location. While the attached location is the active location, reduce the cost to play Woodsmen allies by 1.

And

Woodworking Camp, 0 cost attachment, attach to the active location, after the active location leaves play as an explores location, add 2 resources to the resource pool of a hero you control and draw 2 cards.

or just a straight up woodsmen axe that can go on any woodsmen and you can exhaust that character + axe to put a progress on a location or the active location if you wanted to get specific.

For Beornings something fun could be:

Beorning Honey-Cake cost 1 tactics attachment: Discard to ready attached character and then search your deck for a non-creature Beorning ally and put it into play.

Dunedain needs someway to just straight to reduce enemies attack strength and/or have a multi-readying defender for them.

Hama has no errata for me but if people want A different one, maybe just specifying response cards only or 0 cost cards only.

Also yes to your hobbit ally choice!

Edited by General_Grievous

Lobelia Sackville-Baggins 2 cost, neutral (that's right, first neutral hobbit) 1, 1, 2, 2

Deal one damage to a hobbit you control to add one resource to a hero's resource pool (limit once per round)

10 hours ago, General_Grievous said:

Hama has no errata for me but if people want A different one, maybe just specifying response cards only or 0 cost cards only.

After much thought, I've come up with my own preferred Hama errata that prevents indefinite Thicketing (or for that matter, 4 consecutive thickets with one card), but doesn't make Hama a three-time-only recurrer.

Passive ability: You may play an event from the victory display as if it were in your hand, then remove the event from the game.

Response: when Hama attacks, you may discard a card from your hand to place a tactics event in the victory display.

The modified Hama ability prevents him from recurring any individual event more than once, but puts no limit on the number of events that he can recur once. It also gives him some possible interactions with a Victory Display deck that I think would be interesting and mostly helpful.

2 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

After much thought, I've come up with my own preferred Hama errata that prevents indefinite Thicketing (or for that matter, 4 consecutive thickets with one card), but doesn't make Hama a three-time-only recurrer.

Passive ability: You may play an event from the victory display as if it were in your hand, then remove the event from the game.

Response: when Hama attacks, you may discard a card from your hand to place a tactics event in the victory display.

The modified Hama ability prevents him from recurring any individual event more than once, but puts no limit on the number of events that he can recur once. It also gives him some possible interactions with a Victory Display deck that I think would be interesting and mostly helpful.

That's brilliant! Do you mind if we use it in the Ancient Mathoms?

I don't mind at all. But rereading I see that I omitted "from the discard pile" from his response -- the tactics event needs to be in the discard, though he technically could toss an event from his hand and then put that event in the victory display -- aside from Ringmaker card-hate or powering up Keen as Lances I'm not sure why he would want to do that, though.

Edited by dalestephenson
5 hours ago, player3351457 said:

Lobelia Sackville-Baggins 2 cost, neutral (that's right, first neutral hobbit) 1, 1, 2, 2

Deal one damage to a hobbit you control to add one resource to a hero's resource pool (limit once per round)

I was thinking of a tactics ally, with the art showing her whacking a ruffian with her umbrella.

Of course, what I *really* want is a Lobelia hero with Umberella and Silver Spoons attachments designed for her.

Going back to my old post about rounding out spheres with common abilities, it's interesting that the four unique "leaves play at the end of the round" allies belong to the white council. Thus far we have two neutrals (gandalf and saruman), a leadership (galadriel) and a lore (elrond). This leaves spirit and tactics to split up amongst the other members of the council. Now there seems to be a bit of a discrepancy on who is technically a member of the council. I will assume we get Cirdan and Radagast, though there's mention that maybe Celeborn was part of it too (also works with the council of the wise contract art).

Regardless, that would be pretty cool to get some more high-cost, high-ability leave play allies. Not sure what they would say or do.

40 minutes ago, player3351457 said:

also works with the council of the wise contract art

I think in the Council contract art besided Galadriel and Gandalf we are looking at Elrond (brown instead of dark hair is more plausible as discrepancy than the silver of Celeborn hair). Fitting since they are the keepers of the Three Rings.

45 minutes ago, player3351457 said:

Going back to my old post about rounding out spheres with common abilities, it's interesting that the four unique "leaves play at the end of the round" allies belong to the white council. Thus far we have two neutrals (gandalf and saruman), a leadership (galadriel) and a lore (elrond). This leaves spirit and tactics to split up amongst the other members of the council.

I think it's quite clearly a theme, but we won't see anymore allies like that cause we already have all the officially known members of the Council (since as you say it was kinda unclear who was a member besides those above)

Edited by Alonewolf87
1 hour ago, Alonewolf87 said:

I think it's quite clearly a theme, but we won't see anymore allies like that cause we already have all the officially known members of the Council (since as you say it was kinda unclear who was a member besides those above)

Party pooper.

Tactics Cirdan and a spirit Radagast might lead to some fun.

8 minutes ago, player3351457 said:

Party pooper.

I have been called that 🤣

A few posts ago people were considering ways to help Dunedain, in particular paying for the expensive allies. How about another Signal?

___

Dunedain Relic [2, Leadership]

Signal. Artefact. Item

Attach to a Dunedain hero.

Action: Add one resource to attached hero's resource pool to attach Dunedain Relic to another eligible hero (limit once per round for the group).

____

Aside from being a clever reverse of how the Signals operate, it helps Dunedain raise resources for the allies, whilst also possibly helping some of the other Signal attachments - you could generate a resource with this, then spend it to transfer a Mark/Warning to someone else (though perhaps that's a bit jank).

I considered removing/altering the Dunedain restriction, but it felt that might be overpowered (though no more so than Steward of Gondor I suppose). Maybe this should also be a unique?

On 5/9/2020 at 12:29 PM, player3351457 said:

Party pooper.

Tactics Cirdan and a spirit Radagast might lead to some fun.

Or a Tactics Thranduil/Celeborn and a Spirit Cirdan. While they weren't explicitly on the Council, it's pretty reasonable to assume Elven Royalty would be members, if anyone else was a member. They are also big characters without existing ally versions. Even if they aren't Council Members, they'd make strong contenders as allies that send distant aide from their haven, which is sort of what I take Elrond and Galadriel to represent.

5 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Or a Tactics Thranduil/Celeborn and a Spirit Cirdan. While they weren't explicitly on the Council, it's pretty reasonable to assume Elven Royalty would be members, if anyone else was a member. They are also big characters without existing ally versions. Even if they aren't Council Members, they'd make strong contenders as allies that send distant aide from their haven, which is sort of what I take Elrond and Galadriel to represent.

Want to take a shot at the text boxes?