Top 5 player cards you still want

By RebelX, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

On 9/16/2019 at 10:17 AM, Amicus Draconis said:

1) Honestly, I would prefer ally Aragorn over a spirit hero version. Is there any reason to believe, we will get spirit Aragorn anyway? Additionally I would like more allies of important characters like Éomer, Éowyn, Théoden, Frodo, Fatty, Gríma, Beregond, Targon, Bergil, Dáin Ironfoot etc.

Just that he should be because we already have him in the other spheres and he is a perfect fit for the description of what the rules say the spirit sphere represents.

Spirit Ê: The sphere of spirit emphasizes the strength of a hero’s will, particularly that hero’s determination, resilience, courage, loyalty, and heart.

Otherwise nope, nothing to suggest he is a lock. I have figured for a while now that since leadership Aragorn was the first hero (card #1), that we would get the spirit version as the last hero released.

An ally Aragorn also NEEDS to happen though.

Edited by pixcalcis

Tactics Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, armed with an umbrella.

On 9/21/2019 at 2:10 AM, dalestephenson said:

Tactics Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, armed with an umbrella.

Errata to Wind-whipped Rain: this card should read "When Revealed: Discard all non-treasure, non-objective, non-umbrella attachments in play."

Player encounter cards which are enemies, locations or treacheries. They would have a regular player card event to put them into the encounter deck (like ranger summons), but instead of just giving you a new player card when they come up and then surging, they would act as encounter cards, but with more controllable or situationally advantageous effects.

2 hours ago, Distractionbeast said:

Player encounter cards which are enemies, locations or treacheries. They would have a regular player card event to put them into the encounter deck (like ranger summons), but instead of just giving you a new player card when they come up and then surging, they would act as encounter cards, but with more controllable or situationally advantageous effects.

Very cool idea, I think locations in general would be a neat twist to have advantageous ones you want to keep in play/in the staging area like Rivendell or Helm's Deep, etc...

People have noted that we need more regular readying cards other than Unexpected Courage and Fast hitch. I suggest this one.

Dunedain Request

Cost 0

Leadership Attachment

Signal

Attach to a hero. May be played during the Travel Phase.

Response: After Dunedain Request is attached to a hero, ready that hero.

Action: Pay 1 resource from attached hero's resource pool to attach Dunedin Request to another hero. (Limit once per turn.)

38 minutes ago, Felswrath said:

People have noted that we need more regular readying cards other than Unexpected Courage and Fast hitch. I suggest this one.

Dunedain Request

Cost 0

Leadership Attachment

Signal

Attach to a hero. May be played during the Travel Phase.

Response: After Dunedain Request is attached to a hero, ready that hero.

Action: Pay 1 resource from attached hero's resource pool to attach Dunedin Request to another hero. (Limit once per turn.)

Outstanding

Ally Éomer

Húrin the Tall

Bergil

Lobelia Sackville-Baggins

Ranged non-unique Hobbit ally (with the stat creep on Knight of Belfalas, we might see a 2 cost 1/2/0/2 ally, since so far all Hobbits have at least 1 willpower and all but the elderly Gaffer Gamgee have at least 2 hit points)

Éomer is the card I want most, so that I can Sword-Thain him to kill Uglúk when playing The Uruk-hai in my thematic campaign, while having the Three Hunters as my heroes. Since he's mentioned on Lothiriel's card, I think we have a decent chance of getting him. I would love to see ally Aragorn for A Knife in the Dark and Flight to the Ford, though Vigilant Dúnedain does a decent job of representing him. We don't yet have any ranged hobbits, and thematically we kind of need them for a Scouring in the Shire scenario (hopefully next year's PoD, as a fitting close to this iteration of the game).

The Rohan trait could use some love. If we get another Rohan hero, I'd love for it to be Grimbold, who was known for his valour and was an important commander at the Fords of Isen and at the Pellinor Fields (and who could accompany Gandalf and Erkenbrand in a reinforcements deck for Helm's Deep). I'd also like another hero version of Sam, if it's comparable in power to Leadership Sam (the option to switch spheres without changing heroes during the campaign can be helpful). I recall seeing new art for Sam a while ago: that might be full art for this year 's fellowship event (we should get details soon, right?), or a new Sam hero. Assuming Gildor shows up in this cycle, we only have three heroes unaccounted for (likely Tactics, Spirit, and Lore).

Incidentally, I really enjoyed using the Fellowship contract (as well as the new Merry and Pippin allies) for Journey in the Dark, and it definitely helped the Nine Walkers. I wonder how many contracts we'll get. The product page for Wrath and Ruin says that it contains "three copies of each new player card," while the product page for The City of Ulfast doesn't say that, and mentions that it contains a new contract. I'm excited to see what rules the new contracts bend or break.

Don't if it was mentionned, but we have a barely full set of items which grant an other sphere when they are attach to Aragorn, except in Lore sphere.

1 hour ago, RegisF said:

except in Lore sphere.

Actually the Ring of Barahir from The Steward's Fear does exactly that.

And it's a willpower item not a lore item.

2 hours ago, RegisF said:

And it's a willpower item not a lore item.

Oh you meant an attachment which naturally belongs in Lore, not one that grants the Lore icon. Sorry my bad I misunderstood. In which case we are also missing a Tactics one (and the Sword That Was Broken is not specific for Aragorn in granting the Leadership icon), we have only Leadership and Spirit ones.

Anyway it's Spirit not Willpower.

I am hoping with Spirit Aragorn is the Sceptre of Annuminas. Since he already has attachments that grant him each sphere, something is gonna overlap.

It would be good to have an attachment that grants him Leadership, outside of the Leadership sphere, so I am hoping the Sceptre does that, and of course, has an additional effect.

2 hours ago, Alonewolf87 said:

Oh you meant an attachment which naturally belongs in Lore, not one that grants the Lore icon. Sorry my bad I misunderstood. In which case we are also missing a Tactics one (and the Sword That Was Broken is not specific for Aragorn in granting the Leadership icon), we have only Leadership and Spirit ones.

Anyway it's Spirit not Willpower.

You're right. In tactic, I believe you have a bow with an effect for Aragorn but it doesn't give an other icon.

23 minutes ago, RegisF said:

In tactic, I believe you have a bow with an effect for Aragorn but it doesn't give an other icon.

Yeah, the Rivendell Bow can be equipped to a Noldor/Silvan character or to Aragorn and it gives the attached character ranged (or if the character already got ranged a +1 Atk)

1. I would absolutely love to see Aragorn (and/or Strider) and Frodo Ally cards. Those two cards would make the card pool have at least one Hero and one Ally for the "The Nine Walkers". I know there is already a Strider attachment, but when Hero and Ally cards can have the same name, then I assume Ally and Attachment cards can have the same name.

2. I would absolutely love to see Thorin, Balin, Oin, Nori, and Ori Ally cards. It wouldn't give the card pool at least one Hero and one Ally for the "Unexpected Party", but it does allow all dwarves to be in the deck. A secondary request is to see Hero card versions of Fili, Kili, and Bofur.

3. With the release of the Fellowship contract, it would be nice to see (Unique) Ally card versions of a ton of Heroes. Along with the ones mentioned in #1 and #2, Bard the Bowman, Thranduil, Celeborn, Cirdan, Eomer, Eowyn, etc.

I know I went over the 5 cards. If FFG ever released a Player Card pack that just contained these Ally cards for $30-50, I would definitely purchase it.

I love my niche heroes. Dori is a clear one... he came in handy in boss battles when we were waiting to get defense boosts into play... an extra two out the gate is huge.

Anyway, I cant seem to figure out Fatty and Spippin. I need some event or attachment or even some hero that can make them all worth it. Spirit heroes that raise threat? Seems awfully weird.

Some things on my "top list of hopes" for the remaining cycle:

King Elessar ( Title Attachment, Aragorn only): Something that rewarded Aragorn for belonging to all four spheres, sort of like how Prince of Dol Amroth rewards Imrahil for having Outlands allies from all four spheres. Maybe something like a 3-cost neutral attachment that can only be attached to Aragorn, with some small general bonus and a big bonus if Aragorn has all four spheres: "Aragorn gains Sentinel. If Aragorn has the printed Sentinel keyword, he gains +1 [DEF] instead. Action: If Aragorn belongs to the [Tactics], [Lore], [Spirit], and [Leadership] sphere, exhaust King Elessar to do two of the following: choose a character to remove 1 damage, choose a player to draw 1 card, choose a player to lower his Threat by 1, or deal 1 damage to an enemy engaged with you."

Gwaihir (Tactics Hero): With multiple Ent heroes in the game, I don't see a reason why the Eagles couldn't have a Hero. So many fun and interesting abilities an Eagle hero could have to synergize well with the sub-theme, be it "sneak-attacking' eagle allies, allowing eagle allies to be played form the discard, granting a response when an eagle enters/leaves play, etc. To that end, also having a unique attachment for the " Wind-Lord's Crown " (something akin to Khaliel's Headress or Elven-King or Hardy Leadership or Veteran Leadership or the like) to attach to a unique Eagle would be neat. While I'm crushing on the eagle theme, I'd also love to see a Wilyador unique Eagle ally, as having just even one more quality Eagle ally available would also help round out Eagles decks, and to pay homage to Journey to Rhosgobel he could have something like "Response: After Wiylador enters or leaves play, heal 1 damage on a character (2 if that character is an Eagle)."

Grimbeorn (unique ally): another beneficiary of Beorning Skin-Changer would be nice, especially if Grimbeorn had some mechanic to return discarded Beorning characters from the discard to the hand. Alternatively, in order for "Beorning-themed" decks to be able to run Beorn and Grimbeorn as heroes, would be even nicer if this ability was found on an FFG-created character instead.

Aiglos (unique attachment): this would be nice to round out the four spheres for a Guarded legendary weapon, and Gil-Galad's spear seems like the perfect candidate for the Spirit Sphere. 1 Cost [SPIRIT] attachment. Guarded (Location, Enemy). Weapon. Item. Artifact. Restricted. Attach to a Hero. +2 Attack. Response: After attached hero participates in an attack that destroys an enemy, lower your threat by 1.

Aiglos.jpg

Fram Framson : Some sort of hero/ally that had something like "While attacking or defending against a Creature, Fram Framson gains +1 [ATK] and +1 [DEF]. While attacking or defending against a Drake or Dragon, Fram Framson does not exhaust and gains +2 [ATK] and +2 [DEF]. This sort of design is problematically silver-bulleted against certain quests, but I'm sure the FFG devs could construct a much better ability that gets Fram into the game.

Wow, I suppose that's already five cards. So many things I'd still love to see for this game!

I ' d also like to see Bergil (ally), another unique Palantir or two, Anduril (some sort of attachment that has to be attached to "Sword That Was Broken") and so many other things.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy
1 hour ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Some things on my "top list of hopes" for the remaining cycle:

King Elessar (Title Attachment, Aragorn only): Something that rewarded Aragorn for belonging to all four spheres, sort of like how Prince of Dol Amroth rewards Imrahil for having Outlands allies from all four spheres. Maybe something like "Aragorn gains Sentinel. If Aragorn has the printed Sentinel keyword, he gains +1 DEF instead. Action: If Aragorn belongs to the [Tactics], [Lore], [Spirit], and [Leadership] sphere, choose two of the following: choose 1 character to heal 1 damage, choose a player to draw 1 card, choose a player to lower his Threat by 1, or deal 1 damage to an enemy engaged with you."

Gwaihir (Tactics Hero): With multiple Ent heroes in the game, I don't see a reason why the Eagles couldn't have a Hero. So many fun and interesting abilities an Eagle ally could have to synergize well with the sub-theme. To that end, also having a unique attachment for the "Windlord's Crown" (something akin to Khaliel's Headress or Elven-King or something) to attach to an Eagle would be neat.

Wilyador (unique Eagle ally): as above, but having one more quality Eagle ally available would also help round out Eagles decks.

Grimbeorn (unique ally): another beneficiary of Beorning Skin-Changer would be nice, especially if Grimbeorn had some mechanic to return discarded Beorning characters from the discard to the hand. Alternatively, in order for "Beorning-themed" decks to be able to run Beorn and Grimbeorn as heroes, would be even nicer if this ability was found on an FFG-created character.

Aiglos (unique attachment): this would be nice to round out the four spheres for a Guarded legendary weapon. 1 Cost Tactics attachment. Weapon. Item. Artifact. Restricted. Attach to a Hero. +2 Attack. Response: After attached hero participates in an attack that destroys an enemy, lower your threat by 1.

Wow, I suppose that's already five cards. So many things I'd still love to see for this game!

Tactics Boromir would that sword Aiglos! Also great list of cards!

I would love a Gwaihir hero that you could spend a resource from his pool to put an Eagle ally into play for a phase. A crown that could go on him that says "Action exhaust to choose 1, reduce the cost of the next event card that contains the bolded text Eagle on it to 0 or return an event card from your discard pile to your hand that has the bolded text Eagle on it."

And then a Wilyador ally that has:

Cost 5

Willpower 3

Attack 1

Defense 2

HP 4

Response: After Wilyador enters or leaves play, heal all damage from a character or discard a condition card.

That would round out the Eagles for me as a playstyle.

Also Huorns that go in the staging area to deal a damage/can weakly attack enemies that enter it.

I guess I've ran out of the cards I want in this game :D

Grima hero: check;

Smeagol hero: check;

Saruman hero: check!

7 hours ago, General_Grievous said:

Also Huorns that go in the staging area to deal a damage/can weakly attack enemies that enter it.

This is a really neat idea, and could give Ent-themed decks access to something akin to traps. Love it.

I also really like player cards that shuffle player encounter cards into the encounter deck (Tom Bombadillo!, Flight of the Eagles, Ranger Summons, Flight to the Sea), as they are just a lot of fun and it's always exciting when they come up in the perfect situation or totally misfire (and it's more incentive to scry/set the encounter deck with things like Scout Ahead).

Oooh, encounter ally Huorns that deal direct damage or attack the staging area each round would be absolutely incredible.

Thanks guys! I would love to use the Huorns on Helm's Deep to ambush the orc hordes in a major thematic moment haha.

At this point the character I most want in this game is Bergil. As I reflect on what the game needs most, and what makes sense with the character, this comes to mind.

0 cost Spirit

0 Willpower

0 Attack

0 Defense

1 Hit point

Gondor

While Bergil is exhausted, he gains: Response: After you quest successfully, discard Bergil to reduce your threat by 1 and draw a card.

He provides more size reduction to decks and pairs with Lotheriel's ability. And he can also gain the bonuses from Leadership Boromir and the attachment that gives Gondor allies +1 willpower.

I would much rather see Hurin the Tall rather than Bergil... He is just a kid and probably wouldnt even fit in the time frame of the game, since it happened before the events in lord of the rings and Bergil is just a kid then.