Top 5 player cards you still want

By RebelX, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

13 hours ago, Felswrath said:

Anduril

Unique Leadership Cost 1

Guarded (Enemy)

Attach to Aragorn

+1 Attack, +1 Defense

Response: When you play this card, You may shuffle x copies of Army of the Dead into the encounter deck. X is one less than the number of resource icons Aragorn possesses (limit once per game).

Army of the Dead

Response: Each player may discard 1 enemy from the staging area or that is engaged with him.

Forced: Skip the encounter and combat phases this round.

good idea on set aside encounter, but surge would be appropriate

Edited by Zura
On 3/9/2020 at 2:49 PM, Felswrath said:

Anduril

Unique Leadership Cost 1

Guarded (Enemy)

Attach to Aragorn

+1 Attack, +1 Defense

Response: When you play this card, You may shuffle x copies of Army of the Dead into the encounter deck. X is one less than the number of resource icons Aragorn possesses (limit once per game).

Army of the Dead

Response: Each player may discard 1 enemy from the staging area or that is engaged with him.

Forced: Skip the encounter and combat phases this round.

What triggers first -- the guarded or the response?

1 hour ago, player3351457 said:

What triggers first -- the guarded or the response?

Nice Catch! It was supposed to be "Response: When you attach this card to Aragorn..."

*Stone of Amon Sul

Artifact. Item.

Cost 1

Guarded (Enemy)

Restricted

Attach to a hero. Attached hero gains +2 defense.

Response: After attached hero exhausts to defend, exhaust Stone of Amon Sul to reveal an attacking enemy's shadow card. If that card has no shadow effect, ready the defending hero and add one resource to its resource pool, then deal that enemy a new shadow card.

I really like Stone of Elostirion, but thought it sadly lacked the risk factor that the Palantiri should have in the time period of this game. We could very easily be getting a guarded Leadership attachment in Land of Sorrow, so this is a possibility. I wanted a guarded card that seems right at home in a Dunedain deck. Drawing the enemy can be a big help, and defense in that deck archetype is never a bad thing. The response seems right in line with a palantir. Look in to prepare for battle, but perhaps in so doing you will make matters worse for yourself.

Edited by Felswrath

New palantiri are ALWAYS welcome. Wish we could break the timeframe a little bit so we could have all 7 of them, but oh well. No encounter Ithil Stone sucks too. As for the stone of Elostirion, thematically it shouldn't be too risky, as this one was disconnected from the others and could only look West into Aman, so no risk of Sauron's influence at all.

I recently picked up Sands of Harad, and while I love the Legolas Gimli shenanigans, I'm not a huge fan of LeGimli. So... I want to see this in the last pack:

*Gimlified

Title

Cost 1 - Neutral

Attach to a hero. Attached hero loses its current name and gains "Gimli" as its new name.

😀

Edited by Bobbymcbobface
2 hours ago, Bobbymcbobface said:

I recently picked up Sands of Harad, and while I love the Legolas Gimli shenanigans, I'm not a huge fan of LeGimli. So... I want to see this in the last pack:

*Gimlified

Title

Cost 1 - Neutral

Attach to a hero. Attached hero loses its current name and gains "Gimli" as its new name.

😀

Leadership gimli is pretty good actually. His stats are designed for defending and yes, he needs a boost but there are tonnes of ways to do that. Warnings, dwarf shields, ring mail are but a few options. And being able to ready a hero is great too! I would think hes better than Sp legolas, who is designed for attacking but triggers off of questing. Legolas also has fewer targets to ready than Gimli because its in the quest phase.

41 minutes ago, MikeGracey said:

Leadership gimli is pretty good actually. His stats are designed for defending and yes, he needs a boost but there are tonnes of ways to do that. Warnings, dwarf shields, ring mail are but a few options. And being able to ready a hero is great too! I would think hes better than Sp legolas, who is designed for attacking but triggers off of questing. Legolas also has fewer targets to ready than Gimli because its in the quest phase.

Leadership Gimli is good, and the readying is great. My sister and I are doing a four player campaign running both Legolas and Gimli. We often find that there is a hero we would rather have ready than Gimli, but that hero doesn't get a boost. Which is why every hero of Middle-Earth ought to be named Gimli!! 😏

It still bugs me that we never got the last Hero from Middle Earth Quest, we have Eleanor, Beravor, Argalad, and Thalin; with most releasing in the core set, but we never got our token Rohan hero. So with that being said here is my hope for an after the break Rohan addition:

Eometh

10 Threat

Spirit

Willpower 2

Defense 2

Attack 2

Hitpoints 4

Rohan, Warrior

Sentinel

Setup: Search your deck for a Mount Attachment and add it to your hand.

When playing a mount Attachment, Eometh is considered to have the printed tactics, leadership and Lore icons.

Response; after you play a Mount Attachment on a character you control, draw a card, limit once per round.

3 hours ago, General_Grievous said:

It still bugs me that we never got the last Hero from Middle Earth Quest, we have Eleanor, Beravor, Argalad, and Thalin; with most releasing in the core set, but we never got our token Rohan hero. So with that being said here is my hope for an after the break Rohan addition:

Eometh

10 Threat

Spirit

Willpower 2

Defense 2

Attack 2

Hitpoints 4

Rohan, Warrior

Sentinel

When playing a mount Attachment, Eometh is considered to have the printed tactics, leadership and Lore icons.

Response; after you play a Mount Attachment on a character you control, draw a card, limit once per round.

Ha I noticed that as well, no Eometh! Yeah kind of a shame, but I guess we have so many cool heros already I am still happy

4 hours ago, MikeGracey said:

Ha I noticed that as well, no Eometh! Yeah kind of a shame, but I guess we have so many cool heros already I am still happy

Fair enough and me too but if they'll keep making packs, I'll keep buying them

No Elena makes me most sad, and unless the last pack contains her, no Goldberry also.

11 hours ago, General_Grievous said:

Eometh

10 Threat

Spirit

Willpower 2

Defense 2

Attack 2

Hitpoints 4

Rohan, Warrior

Sentinel

I love the look of this guy! I always include Leadership Elfhelm in my Rohan Fellowships, and this guy fits right in the build! Only thing that I would note is that his second ability (with the current card pool) has no effect. All mounts can attach to either Rohan, Spirit, or Sentinel heroes with the exception of Trait specific Mounts like Asfolath or Hobbit Pony.

1 hour ago, Felswrath said:

Only thing that I would note is that his second ability (with the current card pool) has no effect

Actually no, since it's not "when playing a mount attachment on itself", it's more about being able to play mounts off any sphere (like an armored destrier in a mono spirit deck) than about Eomeht being able to be the recipient of any mount. It's the Mount counterpart of Bard Son of Brand

7 hours ago, Alonewolf87 said:

Actually no, since it's not "when playing a mount attachment on itself", it's more about being able to play mounts off any sphere (like an armored destrier in a mono spirit deck) than about Eomeht being able to be the recipient of any mount. It's the Mount counterpart of Bard Son of Brand

That's exactly right and what I was going for, to be able to bring all of the mounts and pay for them with this hero despite different spheres.

My mistake, I thought it was only for playing mounts on Eometh.

1 hour ago, Felswrath said:

My mistake, I thought it was only for playing mounts on Eometh.

All good man and thanks for the feedback on him, hope we get him one day!

While we're at it, how about some mounts for allies besides wild stallion.

(Yes shadowfax and arod can go on ally gandalf and legolas respectively but come on!)

6 hours ago, player3351457 said:

(Yes shadowfax and arod can go on ally gandalf and legolas respectively but come on!)

That would be awesome, especially for the Rohan guys, I feel like they need to have easy access to hordes of horses.

Also Eagles and Ents as mounts too because awesome hahaha.

On 4/18/2020 at 1:21 PM, player3351457 said:

23 hours ago, General_Grievous said:

Also Eagles and Ents as mounts too because awesome hahaha.

What we need is a card that turns allies into mounts!

Edited by Kjeld
24 minutes ago, Kjeld said:

What we need is a card that turns allies into mounts!

I wonder if Beorn would let people ride on his back in bear form? lol

14 hours ago, Felswrath said:

I wonder if Beorn would let people ride on his back in bear form? lol

I'm more amused by the thought of Sam carrying Beorn around.

“I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here, Mr. Beorn."

Edited by Kjeld

In his last appearance on Cardtalk, Caleb said that there would be more in this cycle to help make Rohan a top tear archetype. Their main problems have been lack of card draw and healing resulting from the fact that they have virtually no Lore cards. Here's my guess at an ally who would help with card draw, and resulting from lack of healing.

Veteran of the Fords

Cost 3 Leadership

0 willpower

2 attack

2 defense

2-3 hitpoints

Response: When Veteran of the Fords enters play, choose a player. That player may draw 1 card for each damaged Rohan character.

Thematically, this would represent Grimbold's forces who stalled Isengard while the rest of the Rohirrim traveled to Helm's Deep.

11 hours ago, Felswrath said:

In his last appearance on Cardtalk, Caleb said that there would be more in this cycle to help make Rohan a top tear archetype. Their main problems have been lack of card draw and healing resulting from the fact that they have virtually no Lore cards. Here's my guess at an ally who would help with card draw, and resulting from lack of healing.

Veteran of the Fords

Cost 3 Leadership

0 willpower

2 attack

2 defense

2-3 hitpoints

Response: When Veteran of the Fords enters play, choose a player. That player may draw 1 card for each damaged Rohan character.

Thematically, this would represent Grimbold's forces who stalled Isengard while the rest of the Rohirrim traveled to Helm's Deep.

Great idea, I don’t even think you would need to have the part about them being damaged though, it’s tricky enough to build up a board state with those guys to begin with

7 hours ago, General_Grievous said:

Great idea, I don’t even think you would need to have the part about them being damaged though, it’s tricky enough to build up a board state with those guys to begin with

That could become a little too overpowered I feel. I intentionally designed the card to get better with multiple players using Rohan. Rohan can be very powerful by virtue of having lots of effects that spill over to other Rohan players like Hero Elfhelm, Astonishing Speed, Eomund, and Spirit Eowyn. Astonishing Speed paired with Eomund can result in insane amounts of willpower because all Rohan characters in play get +2 willpower and are then ready for the combat phase. If Veteran of the Fords drew one card for each Rohan character, one layer could easily draw a tremendous portion of their deck very quickly.