[Mafia] Starfighter Sabotage

By Bertie Wooster, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

And I’m so sad you guys didnt kill me N1. So close.

7 hours ago, Bertie Wooster said:

Just your friendly moderator rules reminder of how the night phase rules work; hopefully this is helpful to you all.

"Night phase has begun. It will be over in 24 hours, or when all night actions are in. Whichever comes first."

On 9/7/2019 at 6:11 PM, Bertie Wooster said:

24 hours have passed, and morning begins. B3-W0 does a little dance (The Imperial Waltz). He's happy because the first night without a kill has passed!

Day 4 has begun. You have 48 hours.

@GhostofNobodyInParticular

@Lord Preyer

@The Jabbawookie

@Madaghmire

@Caldias

On 9/8/2019 at 6:28 AM, Bertie Wooster said:

@Caldias

If babysitter protected someone who scum tried to kill, I would report it at the day start post. Because presumably the babysitter would notify B3-W0 of suspicious activity.

If roleblocker prevented scum (either the scum they targeted, or a switched target via bus driver) from killing, I wouldn't report it.

The only helpful information in the day start post is

1. 24 hours passed

2. No kill happened.

B3-W0's dance is just flavor.

20 hours ago, Bertie Wooster said:

There are no votes. Everyone is at L-3.

"24 hours remain," says B3-W0. "Please pay attention to the time. It's quite important."

Note the either/or nature of the night phase. It ends either 1) when 24 hours pass, or 2) when all night actions are in. If I, as a mod, patiently waited a full 24 hours for the night phase to end, then someone didn't get a night action in on time. And if it wasn't babysitter or roleblocker, it was probably scum, no?

1 hour ago, Bertie Wooster said:

Note the either/or nature of the night phase. It ends either 1) when 24 hours pass, or 2) when all night actions are in. If I, as a mod, patiently waited a full 24 hours for the night phase to end, then someone didn't get a night action in on time. And if it wasn't babysitter or roleblocker, it was probably scum, no?

I should have called this out!

GG, guys. No hard feelings, I would have done the same. Good job Preyer and Cal, I don't regret not killing you too much. You played things well.

I am a little irked that things worked out as they did, though. If someone posts when we have a D1 L-1, and we don't get a kill, that needs to be a policy lynch. Also, being forced to choose between LTD and Preyer... wasn't great, though I still think we made the right call.

Overall, it was still a great game and I definitely got my endgame deduction fix for a bit. Thank you Bertie, for a great setup that kept us all on our toes.

1 hour ago, Bertie Wooster said:

We don’t really know that though. An equally plausible reason for it to be 24 hours would be that the Mod simply didn’t have time to post right when the action came in.

4 minutes ago, Madaghmire said:

We don’t really know that though. An equally plausible reason for it to be 24 hours would be that the Mod simply didn’t have time to post right when the action came in.

Sort of true. I wouldn't have emphasized the 24 hours thing so much if that was the case though. ("24 hours have passed, and morning begins.")

A slight possibility though.

Good game, dudes! I am going to be mindful next time I play to be sure it isn't during a long weekend vacation, apologies for my spotty availability in the first half of the game.

@The Jabbawookie

My main reason for not allowing code talk, by the way, is that it seems too similar to talking out of thread. Imagine that Player A and Player B discuss an ongoing game in an obscure topic in the Painting subforum. Player A could reveal his role to Player B without revealing it to everyone, or if Player A and Player B were both scum they could daychat, etc. This is not allowed, we'd all agree.

Now if some players can speak in code but most cannot, what's to stop them from abusing it in a similar manner? So I agree with @Madaghmire that it goes against the spirit of the game, even if there's not a specific rule against it.

10 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

@The Jabbawookie

My main reason for not allowing code talk, by the way, is that it seems too similar to talking out of thread. Imagine that Player A and Player B discuss an ongoing game in an obscure topic in the Painting subforum. Player A could reveal his role to Player B without revealing it to everyone, or if Player A and Player B were both scum they could daychat, etc. This is not allowed, we'd all agree.

Now if some players can speak in code but most cannot, what's to stop them from abusing it in a similar manner? So I agree with @Madaghmire that it goes against the spirit of the game, even if there's not a specific rule against it.

I wholeheartedly agree with the reasoning, but figured it was worth a try, knowing you would either shut it down or choose not to.

Thanks for the game @Bertie Wooster ! I really liked the semi-open set up, the plentiful VTs and the player mix was really nice!

If I may, I don’t think it was quite fair drawing attention to the alternatives or emphasizing the timing element. That’s got to be on players - not players guided by Mod as otherwise it risks the game being ‘won’ by the Mod. But please don’t doubt that I had anything other than an enjoyable game! And thank you so much for it!

Other thoughts:

@The Jabbawookie - what was the whole story of the code thing please? I was also telling the truth about retiring the “neat” codeword after I realized it was a bit unsporting to have a magic word!

@GhostofNobodyInParticular and @Madaghmire and Jabba - hope I didn’t break the bounds of what you consider decent play by me! Good game Town!

@LTD sorry you didn’t enjoy it so much. Hope we can play a game together you do enjoy sometime!

@Caldias - was an honour to be on a scum team with one of the two great ScumLords! Sorry I screwed up by logging on too late! I had a Date with my wife after a **** of a work week and missed the deadline by minutes!

19 minutes ago, Lord Preyer said:

Thanks for the game @Bertie Wooster ! I really liked the semi-open set up, the plentiful VTs and the player mix was really nice!

If I may, I don’t think it was quite fair drawing attention to the alternatives or emphasizing the timing element. That’s got to be on players - not players guided by Mod as otherwise it risks the game being ‘won’ by the Mod. But please don’t doubt that I had anything other than an enjoyable game! And thank you so much for it!

Other thoughts:

@The Jabbawookie - what was the whole story of the code thing please? I was also telling the truth about retiring the “neat” codeword after I realized it was a bit unsporting to have a magic word!

@GhostofNobodyInParticular and @Madaghmire and Jabba - hope I didn’t break the bounds of what you consider decent play by me! Good game Town!

@LTD sorry you didn’t enjoy it so much. Hope we can play a game together you do enjoy sometime!

@Caldias - was an honour to be on a scum team with one of the two great ScumLords! Sorry I screwed up by logging on too late! I had a Date with my wife after a **** of a work week and missed the deadline by minutes!

Naw man you played great. I played terribly. Rust, I guess. I should have just hammered you D1. I just had a terrible read.

I am still convinced that all of you have a secret pact or somthing to make sure I die by night 2 if I'm a vanilla town

What? No. Never. Why would you say that? That’s crazy!

Oh - and @GhostofNobodyInParticular I am 100% pro-super quick lynches on D1 such is my hatred of that day and belief that in the absence of Jedi powers it’s very hard to take anything of substance from the game!

@Lord Preyer Thanks for your thoughts. Personally I think it's fun when mods leave some clues, as long as 1) they hint at open information, not closed info such as roles/alignment of a player, and 2) the clues are in the open, not in a role PM which we're told not to quote (Ebon and I have differing opinions on this one). It makes it feel more like a detective story to me.

As for why I mentioned alternative possibilities, that was because you asked if bus drive and roleblock were the only possibilities, and tagged me in the post. I had already said I would answer questions, so I did. It's still up to the players to find out what those possibilities are.

I could have decided ahead of time to announce successful roleblocks, but I've never seen that done before in a game with Mafia Roleblocker, and it didn't seem fair to scum to do so now.

Also, @PodRacer noticed the game going on and joined us in observers. Would you want to join the next game, Pod?

2 hours ago, Bertie Wooster said:

Personally I think it's fun when mods leave some clues, as long as 1) they hint at open information, not closed info such as roles/alignment of a player,

Guess it’s just a difference of Mafia opinion but I would strongly disagree as I feel it amounts to the Mod putting their finger on the scale to the advantage of some players overall. All of the information is there, it’s up to the players to (mis)use it as they need or wish. It’s especially harsh on Scum if they are constructing a theory to get them out of hot water and then the Mod says ‘hey guys! Remember X’ because then not only is their defence blown but attention is drawn to their scumminess!

3 hours ago, Lord Preyer said:

Guess it’s just a difference of Mafia opinion but I would strongly disagree as I feel it amounts to the Mod putting their finger on the scale to the advantage of some players overall. All of the information is there, it’s up to the players to (mis)use it as they need or wish. It’s especially harsh on Scum if they are constructing a theory to get them out of hot water and then the Mod says ‘hey guys! Remember X’ because then not only is their defence blown but attention is drawn to their scumminess!

When you put it that way, I can see your point.

The one thing I disagree with--I don't think it was to town's advantage overall. There were a lot of situations in this game where I either dropped hints or brought attention to open information, not only day 4. Pointing out clon's edit 1 hour before deadline, reminding Caldias to check his vote spelling, reminding GNIP to unvote first, not to mention every vote count or rules reminder. Each individual situation was to someone's advantage/disadvantage, but when you add them all up I don't think they benefited town. In fact, in several cases they led to a town death.

Do you have general guidelines that you follow for modding a game?

Edited by Bertie Wooster
17 hours ago, Lord Preyer said:

Other thoughts:

No worries! We were able to pull it out by the skin of our teeth

When is the next one?

5 minutes ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

When is the next one?

*Me soliciting more players*

21 hours ago, clontroper5 said:

I am still convinced that all of you have a secret pact or somthing to make sure I die by night 2 if I'm a vanilla town

They should know by now that you're always loyal to the Empire.

23 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

They should know by now that you're always loyal to the Empire.

That too, I have never once been against the Empire lol

21 hours ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

When is the next one?

The plan was to do this Mafia game and then clon's game (A Galaxy Divided) would begin right after. But clon's game is still needing one more player. Maybe we could do another Mafia game until he gets another player?

Por que no los dos?

Or at least you guys could... I'm done with mafia for now.

Cheers!