Speculation: Marvel universe in products page

By garmogoth, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

16 minutes ago, urloony said:

Nah, I'm not very interested either. It's just something to talk about.

It's from this article. Granted they are giving a price range to $25-$40, but that seems pretty high. I can buy a pack of 8 Star Wars Legion figs for $20. Maybe terrain is sold separately, but if terrain interaction is a primary mechanic wouldn't you think they will require it? Let's hope it isn't required.

Yeah, the whole no faction team-up idea is also bazaar. Spider-Man/Ultron team-up or Cap and Red Skull? Lame.

Yeah, that article says the core set includes terrain and that there will be separate terrain packs. I don’t know how much terrain you’ll need to play it, but I could certainly see not needing to buy any more than the terrain that’s included in the coreset if you want to make your own.

As mentioned, Heroes and Villains team up all the time, but I actually doubt many people will, as you get bonuses for taking a team of all Avengers for example. For the most part, I’d expect to see people sticking with thematic squads to take advantage of Leadership abilities and tactic cards...

7 hours ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

Another issue is that they've gone with a slightly bigger scale (I think it's 40-50mm) so other terrain options may be hard to come by

31 minutes ago, FearLord said:

Yeah, that article says the core set includes terrain and that there will be separate terrain packs. I don’t know how much terrain you’ll need to play it, but I could certainly see not needing to buy any more than the terrain that’s included in the coreset if you want to make your own.

It makes you wonder if they chose an awkward scale to push players into buying their terrain. You could probably use 28mm scenery in a pinch, but doorways and furniture will be small.

1 hour ago, urloony said:

Yeah, the whole no faction team-up idea is also bazaar. Spider-Man/Ultron team-up or Cap and Red Skull? Lame.

Doom teams up with the FF plenty of times. Spider-man teamed up with Sandman and other villains plenty of times. Magneto joined the X-men.

Part of the fun of Marvel is the various team ups.

I like how it gives freedom to try out different combos, especially from a mechanical perspective. But it also provides tools to encourage a mostly flavourful team with the Leadership.

8 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

Doom teams up with the FF plenty of times. Spider-man teamed up with Sandman and other villains plenty of times. Magneto joined the X-men.

Part of the fun of Marvel is the various team ups.

I like how it gives freedom to try out different combos, especially from a mechanical perspective. But it also provides tools to encourage a mostly flavourful team with the Leadership.

:rolleyes: Yes, of course. But making it a primary mechanic seems out of sorts. When the meta becomes something ridiculous like Spider-Man teamed up with all his nemesis, it's going to have an odd feel, IMO. Of course all Marvel heroes have been at odds with each other, but I would hope that there would be a game mechanic incentive to team-up likely heroes rather than some free-for-all where everything looks like Civil War. To each their own though.

1 hour ago, urloony said:

:rolleyes: Yes, of course. But making it a primary mechanic seems out of sorts. When the meta becomes something ridiculous like Spider-Man teamed up with all his nemesis, it's going to have an odd feel, IMO. Of course all Marvel heroes have been at odds with each other, but I would hope that there would be a game mechanic incentive to team-up likely heroes rather than some free-for-all where everything looks like Civil War. To each their own though.

There ARE mechanical incentives to make thematically accurate teams, and that's already been stated in this thread multiple times, including in the post you quoted in this reply...

I think it is interesting flavourfully. You have the Avengers... and Ultron.

Why is Ultron working with the Avengers? Is he a good guy now? Is he going to betray them? Is it merely an alliance of convenience?

18 hours ago, FearLord said:

Something like Imperial Assault, but with a Marvel theme is something I would probably be interested in, but would probably annoy me due to the escalating costs.

If I could design a superhero game from scratch, I’d probably make the board New York and have a team of heroes starting centrally and then having to deal with a variety of crime or natural disasters that occur randomly around the city. The heroes have to work together to control things until the main villain shows up and they come together to defeat them. Thematic components including plastic miniatures for heroes, minions and Villains, etc. Expansions can add different heroes and villains (which could all threaten the city in different ways)...

That would be fun!

19 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

There ARE mechanical incentives to make thematically accurate teams, and that's already been stated in this thread multiple times, including in the post you quoted in this reply...

If only there were mechanical incentives to make thematically accurate teams. One can dare to dream I guess.

On 9/1/2019 at 1:23 PM, cheapmate said:

A Battlestar Galactica style game covering the Skrull Secret Invasion

Who do you trust?

1215E0F9-814C-46DB-8D56-97FDC8977BFC.jpeg

Don't do that. Don't give me hope.

On September 11, 2019 at 7:06 PM, urloony said:

If only there were mechanical incentives to make thematically accurate teams. One can dare to dream I guess.

Okay, so you're just trolling. Got it.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:36 AM, garmogoth said:

Am I the only one not interested in Crisis Protocol at all? 😀

Personally I am not interested in it at all either. Not because of it being a miniatures game though. When I see that I have to paint and glue the miniatures...nope! I'm out. I got into one paint your own miniature game in my life (Ex-Illis). I still have nightmares trying to get the fallen angels put together right. *Shudder*

Crisis Core does not appeal to me at all. Have to paint and assemble miniatures that are expensive? No thanks! That's an easy pass when Heroclix exists.

I'm very excited about the LCG but hesitant about other games with the Marvel license stamped on it. I've played too many awful Marvel themed games over the years.

Fantasy Flight has made many games that I love so I'm curious to see what else they would do.