Speculation: Marvel universe in products page

By garmogoth, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

On 9/1/2019 at 8:23 PM, cheapmate said:

A Battlestar Galactica style game covering the Skrull Secret Invasion

Who do you trust?

1215E0F9-814C-46DB-8D56-97FDC8977BFC.jpeg

That would be great. I'm actually looking for a good successor of Shadows over Camelot and BSG and this theme would really make it for me.
(No, Dead of Winter is not good, shut up :D )

Quoting the AMA:

Q: Can we expect Marvel board games from FFG in the future?

AN: I guess it depends on how you define a board game. I think you can definitely expect more Marvel games from us, we’re super excited to be working with this IP. Everyone has a lot of really awesome ideas, and the stuff we have coming up I think is pretty great.

Marvel RPG anyone?

2 hours ago, cheapmate said:

Marvel RPG anyone?

I'd buy that.

Especially, if it's based around the Genesys system (with a few tweaks).

11 hours ago, cheapmate said:

Marvel RPG anyone?

Please, no. I would have to buy it but never get to play it :D

On 8/5/2019 at 8:13 AM, CitizenKeen said:

Marvel Miniatures (Crisis Protocol) has nothing to do with FFG.

I'm not sure this is entirely true. According to their merger news a few years back they share licensing and manufacturing. I wouldn't be surprised if they share the licensing fees (which must be massive) and that FFG may be manufacturing their cards and miniatures. The gameplay kind of has the "FFG feel," 8 sided dice, legion movement tools, but it looks like it's Asmodee game design with logistical sharing between the two behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Crisis Protocol appear under FFG's Marvel group as a version 2.0, once the bugs of Asmodee's game get worked out (it looks a little muddled IMO).

Edited to add: I think the price modeling of the game is also poor. By including (requiring) terrain purchase with each expansion, the prices look high. $40 retail for an expansion with an unpainted single mini? Sell the minis and let the players bring their own terrain.

Edited by urloony

Urloony, Crisis Protocal is made by Atomic Mass, not by Asmodee itself. They are separate from FFG.

19 minutes ago, Supertoe said:

Urloony, Crisis Protocal is made by Atomic Mass, not by Asmodee itself. They are separate from FFG.

Yeah, I didn't realize that. I guess they are just part of the Asmodee group like FFG.

10 hours ago, urloony said:

I'm not sure this is entirely true. According to their merger news a few years back they share licensing and manufacturing. I wouldn't be surprised if they share the licensing fees (which must be massive) and that FFG may be manufacturing their cards and miniatures. The gameplay kind of has the "FFG feel," 8 sided dice, legion movement tools, but it looks like it's Asmodee game design with logistical sharing between the two behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Crisis Protocol appear under FFG's Marvel group as a version 2.0, once the bugs of Asmodee's game get worked out (it looks a little muddled IMO).

Edited to add: I think the price modeling of the game is also poor. By including (requiring) terrain purchase with each expansion, the prices look high. $40 retail for an expansion with an unpainted single mini? Sell the minis and let the players bring their own terrain.

Another issue is that they've gone with a slightly bigger scale (I think it's 40-50mm) so other terrain options may be hard to come by

Am I the only one not interested in Crisis Protocol at all? 😀

12 hours ago, urloony said:

Where are you seeing this? While the core box includes terrain, it seems apart from that terrain is being sold in separate packs. The Hulk pack for example comes with just Hulk, stat card, 1 Crisis (mission) card and 3 Tactic cards as well as some tokens.

The core box doesn’t seem like bad value to me. The store I order from a lot has it listed for £66 on preorder now, which isn’t bad for 10 wargame quality plastic miniatures and a fair amount of Plastic terrain as well as all the rules, tokens, dice and cards needed to play...

I’m more interested in Champions, but I may consider picking up the core box to paint some marvel characters and see if the game is any good.

2 hours ago, garmogoth said:

I mean, if a friend bought it, I wouldn’t say no to playing with them...but I think they lost me in the description when they said you made a team by mix-matching heroes and villains.

22 minutes ago, Derrault said:

I mean, if a friend bought it, I wouldn’t say no to playing with them...but I think they lost me in the description when they said you made a team by mix-matching heroes and villains.

They lost me at "Miniatures game".

34 minutes ago, garmogoth said:

They lost me at "Miniatures game".

See, I don’t mind that, and the sculpts appear quite good; it’s just that type of game is expensive enough that maybe I don’t want to shell out that level of cash for something so immersion breaking.

14 minutes ago, Derrault said:

See, I don’t mind that, and the sculpts appear quite good; it’s just that type of game is expensive enough that maybe I don’t want to shell out that level of cash for something so immersion breaking.

Meh, there are hundreds of examples of Villains teaming up with heroes from comics that I don’t really see that as an issue. You also don’t have to do that (at least once they’ve released some more stuff) and you get both leadership abilities and access to specific tactic cards if you stick closer to the theme...

On 9/9/2019 at 9:42 AM, garmogoth said:

Please, no. I would have to buy it but never get to play it :D

So I’m not the only one who has that problem 😅

3 hours ago, garmogoth said:

No, there's two of us .

A miniatures game just isn't my bag is all.

Crisis Protocol looks awful. The only minis game I've liked is X-Wing, plus you can actually play a game of that without having to drop a bajillion dollars.

Something like Imperial Assault, but with a Marvel theme is something I would probably be interested in, but would probably annoy me due to the escalating costs.

If I could design a superhero game from scratch, I’d probably make the board New York and have a team of heroes starting centrally and then having to deal with a variety of crime or natural disasters that occur randomly around the city. The heroes have to work together to control things until the main villain shows up and they come together to defeat them. Thematic components including plastic miniatures for heroes, minions and Villains, etc. Expansions can add different heroes and villains (which could all threaten the city in different ways)...

5 minutes ago, Supertoe said:

Crisis Protocol looks awful. The only minis game I've liked is X-Wing, plus you can actually play a game of that without having to drop a bajillion dollars.

What specificity looks awful about it? I’m not a huge fan of Xwing, but I play lots of other mini games, it so far the minis look quite good, the price to get started doesn’t look unreasonable and the rules look straightforward and thematic.

1 minute ago, FearLord said:

What specificity looks awful about it? I’m not a huge fan of Xwing, but I play lots of other mini games, it so far the minis look quite good, the price to get started doesn’t look unreasonable and the rules look straightforward and thematic.

Just in general, I really am not a fan of the whole "slam a bunch of figures together, roll, and one eventually dies" model that Warhammer pioneered and RuneWars and Legion picked up. There's not much strategy. And while this looks a little better than those, still it does feel like slamming figures together and rolling.

Also the price is extremely steep.

In X-wing, you're constantly making decisions every turn as to how to order your troops. Once all your armies have slammed together in Runewars or Legion, you just gotta sit there and roll until someone dies, then send the winning troop to slam into another, and so on.

Edited by Supertoe
6 minutes ago, Supertoe said:

Just in general, I really am not a fan of the whole "slam a bunch of figures together, roll, and one eventually dies" model that Warhammer pioneered and RuneWars and Legion picked up. There's not much strategy. And while this looks a little better than those, still it does feel like slamming figures together and rolling.

Also the price is extremely steep.

In X-wing, you're constantly making decisions every turn as to how to order your troops. Once all your armies have slammed together in Runewars or Legion, you just gotta sit there and roll until someone dies, then send the winning troop to slam into another, and so on.

It looks to be extremely objective based though? There’s certainly attacking each other’s team, but each mission has specific objectives to carry out. The price doesn’t look bad at all compared to other miniature games. There are probably cheaper options out there, but there are certainly many more expensive examples in mini gaming.

I haven’t played Runewars or Legion, but all the people involved in this game are ex Priviteer Press, and worked on Warmachine, which while I consider to be passed its prime now personally, is still a very successful competitive miniature game, and was considered one of if not the best competitive miniature games at one point.

I don’t know if will end up being any good, but I think it’s certainly displaying a lot of potential right now.

Edited by FearLord
3 minutes ago, FearLord said:

It looks to be extremely objective based though? There’s certainly attacking each other’s team, but each mission has specific objectives to carry out. The price doesn’t look bad at all compared to other miniature games. There are probably cheaper options out there, but there are certainly many more expensive examples in mini gaming.

Oh, well if they do objectives right then that's not too bad.

19 minutes ago, Supertoe said:

Oh, well if they do objectives right then that's not too bad.

I haven’t seen many of the objective cards yet, so I don’t know how much variety they’ll actually provide,, but briefly the system works like this - each player picks a roster of 10 characters, 8 tactic cards and 3 Secure Crisis and 3 Extraction crisis cards. The mission is constructed from one of my crisis cards (either secure or extraction) and one of yours of the opposite type. One of these card types lists the maximum threat level (points cost) for the crisis (game) and both players pick a team from their roster up to the maximum threat level.

I think you may get points for taking each other out along the way, but the lions share of the points seem to come from the mission. Edit - actually, looking at it again I don’t think you score anything for taking out opposing models, but you fight or push your opponents models to help you score the objectives easier.

Edited by FearLord
5 hours ago, garmogoth said:

Nah, I'm not very interested either. It's just something to talk about.

4 hours ago, FearLord said:

Where are you seeing this? While the core box includes terrain, it seems apart from that terrain is being sold in separate packs. The Hulk pack for example comes with just Hulk, stat card, 1 Crisis (mission) card and 3 Tactic cards as well as some tokens.

It's from this article. Granted they are giving a price range to $25-$40, but that seems pretty high. I can buy a pack of 8 Star Wars Legion figs for $20. Maybe terrain is sold separately, but if terrain interaction is a primary mechanic wouldn't you think they will require it? Let's hope it isn't required.

2 hours ago, Supertoe said:

Yeah, the whole no faction team-up idea is also bazaar. Spider-Man/Ultron team-up or Cap and Red Skull? Lame.

Edited by urloony