PBP Alt Univ: Clone Wars: OOC

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

I went with Lorrdian Gemstone to change up what kind of crystals everyone would be using, plus it's the only source of Deflection that I could find on a crystal. I would like to keep that if you don't mind.

I don't picture her using other armor/weapon sources for defense (other than the inserts that were suggested), for Roleplay reasons more than anything else. If she gets smoked in combat, I can make a munchkin after that lol

Just now, SuperWookie said:

I went with Lorrdian Gemstone to change up what kind of crystals everyone would be using, plus it's the only source of Deflection that I could find on a crystal. I would like to keep that if you don't mind.

I don't picture her using other armor/weapon sources for defense (other than the inserts that were suggested), for Roleplay reasons more than anything else. If she gets smoked in combat, I can make a munchkin after that lol

Yeah the Deflection is fine. Defensive Training replaces the Defensive quality. So you end up getting 2/2 Defense from your lightsaber, then another 2/2 from fully modded Armor Inserts, bringing you up to 4/4.

2 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

He's already got Deflection 2 on the lightsaber.

Not if he switches to the ilum crystal which would also let him get superior on the armor for an extra point of soak and let him switch to another crystal later without looses the deflection.

Just now, EliasWindrider said:

Not if he switches to the ilum crystal which would also let him get superior on the armor for an extra point of soak and let him switch to another crystal later without looses the deflection.

The +2 Ranged Defense from Deflection 2 gives a ~55% chance of adding at least 1 Failure, and a ~11% chance of adding 2. 55% of the time, it'll add at least 1 Threat.

I'd take the 2 Defense over 1 Soak.

13 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

The +2 Ranged Defense from Deflection 2 gives a ~55% chance of adding at least 1 Failure, and a ~11% chance of adding 2. 55% of the time, it'll add at least 1 Threat.

I'd take the 2 Defense over 1 Soak.

With the portable plasma shield and the armor and the ilum crystalinstead of the lorrdian @SuperWookie gets both the defense and the soak and extra credits and the ability to switch to a more offensively useful crystal later.

2 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

With the portable plasma shield and the armor and the ilum crystalinstead of the lorrdian @SuperWookie gets both the defense and the soak and extra credits and the ability to switch to a more offensively useful crystal later.

Only because you're requiring him to pay full price for a crystal, instead of discounting the cost of an Ilum crystal. So yeah, giving a bonus ~10k will improve his options.

Or you can just accept that not everything has to be super-duper optimized. Some of us like roleplaying how we build our characters.

5 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Only because you're requiring him to pay full price for a crystal, instead of discounting the cost of an Ilum crystal. So yeah, giving a bonus ~10k will improve his options.

Or you can just accept that not everything has to be super-duper optimized. Some of us like roleplaying how we build our characters.

Chill. Not every discussion has to be an argument.

Ilum being free was narrative because most jedi got their crystals from ilum prior to the clone wars.

That and the 2 hp from a jedi artisan is why jedi only get 18K credits instead of 25K credits like clone PCs.

The discussion was about how to improve survivability in combat and Mireska did the ilum crystal and portable plasma shield so pointing out that same option to a new player is being helpful fair rather than insisting on optimization.

The jedi on christophsis got the opportunity for a (two actually) free crystal upgrade, @SuperWookie will too... i will work it into the story. But every gets the same starting equipment budget & options (specific to jedi or not)

1 minute ago, EliasWindrider said:

Chill. Not every discussion has to be an argument.

I'm perfectly chill.

He'd already stated that he didn't want to use other items to increase his defense, and that he wanted the crystal he chose for a couple particular reasons. So then the PPS is off the table. So if he were to go for +1 Soak, he'd be sacrificing 2 Defense.

And for the record, I actually dislike the idea of picking a new crystal at some point during the story, unless it is destroyed or lost in the normal course of play (meaning, no contrived circumstances because the player wants an upgrade).

In my opinion, kyber crystals shouldn't just be treated as another piece of gear and are far too important to the character to be swapped out on a whim. Further, the nature of the crystal should be an element of roleplay, not a purely mechanical choice.

(I say this in jest)

Everyone over here talking about combat effectiveness, when secretly I was going to try and roleplay myself out of every combat situation. The true goal of playing was so that nobody ever learns the color of her lightsaber blade 😅 🤣

(now real talk)

I am just happy to finally start playing, thanks again for the help everyone!

@EliasWindrider :

Will Commander Cody field Chee'Okee's transmission from his position on the bridge of the Acclamator?

The characters are already in the launch bay, most of them already climbing aboard a LAAT/i from which to make the HALO drop, while Ker'see and the Duchess are about to board another LAAT/i to follow them down some rounds later. (Assuming that I've got the specifics of the plan correctly.)

7 hours ago, Bellona said:

@EliasWindrider :

Will Commander Cody field Chee'Okee's transmission from his position on the bridge of the Acclamator?

The characters are already in the launch bay, most of them already climbing aboard a LAAT/i from which to make the HALO drop, while Ker'see and the Duchess are about to board another LAAT/i to follow them down some rounds later. (Assuming that I've got the specifics of the plan correctly.)

We're doing thinks slightly out of order and @SuperWookie shows up just before you launch without having toake you wait... just narrate to that point... she can come along with Ker'see and duchess and then we can narrate to the halo completion.

19 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

We're doing thinks slightly out of order and @SuperWookie shows up just before you launch without having toake you wait... just narrate to that point... she can come along with Ker'see and duchess and then we can narrate to the halo completion.

@MrTInce

45 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Sounds fine to me. Shall I do an IC post to reflect this?

3 hours ago, MrTInce said:

Sounds fine to me. Shall I do an IC post to reflect this?

Sure

@SuperWookie , small correction, LAAT/i gunships are standing-room only.

56 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

@SuperWookie , small correction, LAAT/i gunships are standing-room only.

Less so when there's The Duchess.

I know this, but I also don't want to know this. Standing room planet entry is more difficult to believe than hyperspace.

8 minutes ago, SuperWookie said:

I know this, but I also don't want to know this. Standing room planet entry is more difficult to believe than hyperspace.

LAATs aren't spaceworthy. They have to already be in atmosphere before they can launch.

LAAT = Low Altitude Assault Transport, right?

And "/i" carries the "standing room only" infantry, while "/c" is a carrier for small vehicles?

Just now, Bellona said:

LAAT = Low Altitude Assault Transport, right?

And "/i" carries the "standing room only" infantry, while "/c" is a carrier for small vehicles?

Correct.

LAAT/i = Low Altitude Assault Transport/infantry

LAAT/c = Low Altitude Assault Transport/cargo

Shall we get this mission going?

I could have sworn one of the Clone Wars episodes shows them being dropped into atmosphere.

43 minutes ago, SuperWookie said:

I could have sworn one of the Clone Wars episodes shows them being dropped into atmosphere.

they could do both I believe.. I think the "later" models had vacuum sealed doors, and lacked the ball turrets.