Reach of the Empire OOC

By Edgehawk, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game

I know it seems meta, and we are programmed not to role play this way... but Imperial Valor really is just a tool to improve PC survival, plain and simple. Like the squad and squadron rules and talents, that allow NPCs to “take one for the team.” It is not the PCs cackling like villains, sending their fellow troopers to their demise in their stead. It is a tool. It did not occur to me that my PCs would choose death, or near-death unconsciousness and missing the scene, when another established game mechanic could prevent it. I’m going to sleep on this.

If anyone truly chooses to take the fall, per RAW, you may make an Average Athletics or Coordination check to reduce the consequences a tiny amount. Triumph could help more. Hale already successfully avoided most of the fall, using his whipcord, but hasn’t gotten to his initiative slot yet.

The inquisitor would have thrown someone down there, He's the important one in his mind. But that is just part of playing the Sadistic Force User.

Destiny roll : 1eF 2 Dark Side
f-ds-ds.png

For the sake of clarity, is this a new encounter? Asking about the Stim Application, still working, or need a new one?

Teeter : 5eA+2eD 3 successes, 3 advantage
a-a.png a-s-s.png a-a.png a-a.png a-s.png d--.png d--.png

Recovering all strain with Advantages.

6 hours ago, Rimsen said:

For the sake of clarity, is this a new encounter? Asking about the Stim Application, still working, or need a new one?

Technically, I think the “encounter“ would have ended after clearing the first sublevel and leaving structured time. Since everyone has rolled to recover Strain, then yes, this is a new encounter, for all intents and purposes.

10 hours ago, Rabobankrider said:

I don't think Den could bring himself to have someone else fall for him, so I think he'll have to fall. With the advantage is there a chance for him to either land on a filthy rebel or try to catch himself as he falls, perhaps reduce the damage?

Okay. If you really want to take the fall...

Short fall would be 10 wounds; Medium should be 30 wounds...

But since Medium extends to about 120’, and it’s only a 60’ drop, I’m going to say 20 wounds. RAW, Soak applies, so that will help some.

Is Hale still with us? @P-47 Thunderbolt I’m trying to challenge you guys. How many times has Hale singlehandedly laid waste to a minion group?

You may choose the maimed limb, and it can be either detached, or just useless. It does not need to be permanent. As with the Interrogator’s eye, it is your choice to later have it healed/surgically reattached/prosthetically replaced.

@Edgehawk is the front door of the lift going to the second floor just closed? If so anything stopping me from making a Door with my lightsaber/

3 minutes ago, Shlambate said:

@Edgehawk is the front door of the lift going to the second floor just closed? If so anything stopping me from making a Door with my lightsaber/

You are not certain. They did not open automatically when the lift arrived, likely due to the detonation. Your lightsaber would surely work, but might take a bit.

The rebels are medium below us, So I could engage them with 2 manuevers yes? Or can I not move in that direction? @Edgehawk

7 minutes ago, Shlambate said:

The rebels are medium below us, So I could engage them with 2 manuevers yes? Or can I not move in that direction? @Edgehawk

Without Force Leap or Move, it will require a Daunting Athletics or Coordination check, with the Difficulty Upgraded once, so vs. 3eD+1eC. Despair or 5 Threat would mean taking the aforementioned fall.

3 minutes ago, Edgehawk said:

Without Force Leap or Move, it will require a Daunting Athletics or Coordination check, with the Difficulty Upgraded once, so vs. 3eD+1eC. Despair or 5 Threat would mean taking the aforementioned fall.

Door it is. Any check needed/

13 minutes ago, Shlambate said:

Door it is. Any check needed/

Are you trying to open it, or cut through it?

10 minutes ago, Edgehawk said:

Are you trying to open it, or cut through it?

Seeing as the floor is missing I don't think we will be using it much longer, Cut.

7 minutes ago, Shlambate said:

Seeing as the floor is missing I don't think we will be using it much longer, Cut.

Average Lightsaber check. Success will get through the door at the very end of the Next round.

Lightsaber Check : 4eA+2eD 1 failure, 3 advantage
a-a.png a-a.png a-s.png a-a-a.png d-f.png d-f-th.png

ok then

15 minutes ago, Shlambate said:

Lightsaber Check : 4eA+2eD 1 failure, 3 advantage
a-a.png a-a.png a-s.png a-a-a.png d-f.png d-f-th.png

ok then

It takes you this current round to push the saber through the door. You may make another check next round, with a Boost, to begin cutting an opening.

15 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

Really? With Soak 6, Hale only takes 8 Wounds (out of 22). For a Destiny flip, the limb can be salvageable at the end of these encounters, thanks to the state of the art facilities and talents of Dr. Vos.

12 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

I know it seems meta, and we are programmed not to role play this way... but Imperial Valor really is just a tool to improve PC survival, plain and simple. Like the squad and squadron rules and talents, that allow NPCs to “take one for the team.” It is not the PCs cackling like villains, sending their fellow troopers to their demise in their stead. It is a tool. It did not occur to me that my PCs would choose death, or near-death unconsciousness and missing the scene, when another established game mechanic could prevent it. I’m going to sleep on this.

If anyone truly chooses to take the fall, per RAW, you may make an Average Athletics or Coordination check to reduce the consequences a tiny amount. Triumph could help more. Hale already successfully avoided most of the fall, using his whipcord, but hasn’t gotten to his initiative slot yet.

1 hour ago, Edgehawk said:

Is Hale still with us? @P-47 Thunderbolt I’m trying to challenge you guys. How many times has Hale singlehandedly laid waste to a minion group?

You may choose the maimed limb, and it can be either detached, or just useless. It does not need to be permanent. As with the Interrogator’s eye, it is your choice to later have it healed/surgically reattached/prosthetically replaced.

Sorry, sorry. Stuff was happening this weekend which limited my availability and ability to engage with stuff online. I wasn't sulking.

I'm back now.

So yes, DP flip so that the limb is salvageable. (I know Cybernetics provide a stat boost, but I don't want Hale to have cybernetics)

As for taking the fall... Hale would be useless up in the lift anyway. With an upgrade from the 3 Advantage (if you allowed it) and a DP flip, he would be rolling 4 Proficiency dice, which gives a pretty good chance of reducing the fall to Short, meaning between his Soak, Conditioned, and Success/Advantage he'd probably reduce the damage to near 0.

Then he looks awesome and can do something of use.

But if Hale loses a leg, he can't maneuver or do most athletic things. He can probably still get up into the lift, but then he's not going anywhere.
If he loses his right arm, that's the one with the whipcord. Dangling from his useless arm is a terrible idea and would only further damage it. And he likely can't get up into the lift since he no longer has control over the whipcord. From Medium range, there's nothing he can do since his pistol is limited to Short.
If he loses his left arm, then his right is occupied, but he can probably get back into the lift without it.
Without an arm, he can't Brawl even if he's in the relative position to do so.

So he can still get into the lift, but once in the lift, there's nothing he can do. He's best off either just being removed from the encounter at this point, or playing dead, which is pretty much the same.

This is really just the capricious dice lords taunting me for respeccing out of Heavy and losing the Durable talent.

@P-47 Thunderbolt I know your options aren’t great, but I do need for you to decide which limb, and whether you are attempting to climb back into the lift, or taking the fall. The Banshees will assist you regaining the lift, of course, if a maimed arm is giving you difficulty.

For the record, I’d still let you Brawl, with Setback or maybe taking away a die from your pool. And you will likely have targets to engage, and/or attack at short range.

@Edgehawk , it may be a bit late, but I wanted to amend my earlier statement of "it should be fine" regarding adversary PCs because I didn't fully understand the situation.

I thought you were talking about one or two, which means that the outcome is never really in doubt and it's just a matter of the Rebels trying to escape (from some of the statements in that regard, I though that was your goal) and acting more as GM aids (PCNs = Player-Controlled Nemeses) rather than as fully independent players (PCs). With full-on parties going at it, I don't think this'll end particularly well. I'm not a pessimist, but I see all the ways this can go badly (particularly when the players aren't in person and can't get feedback from facial expressions etc.) and I don't think this is a great idea. An RPG isn't supposed to have a "winner" which is easy enough when it's GM "vs." players, but when you've got team 1 vs. team 2 with a ref, it will likely fall into that arena (even subconsciously).

There is also the logistical difficulty of involving so many players at the same time and having the game going on in two separate threads.

This isn't a threat or negotiation tactic at all, or related to Hale's injury, but I'm warning you in advance that I may decide to bow out after this session if we are to continue with it ongoing.

11 minutes ago, Edgehawk said:

@P-47 Thunderbolt I know your options aren’t great, but I do need for you to decide which limb, and whether you are attempting to climb back into the lift, or taking the fall. The Banshees will assist you regaining the lift, of course, if a maimed arm is giving you difficulty.

For the record, I’d still let you Brawl, with Setback or maybe taking away a die from your pool. And you will likely have targets to engage, and/or attack at short range.

I'll take left arm then and climb into the lift.

Part of it is the narrative difficulty of Brawling with one arm while the other is crippled. It's a terrible tactic and risks significant further injury. He's still got the pistol though.

28 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I'll take left arm then and climb into the lift.

Part of it is the narrative difficulty of Brawling with one arm while the other is crippled. It's a terrible tactic and risks significant further injury. He's still got the pistol though.

Should I just narrate that, or do I have to make a check?

1 minute ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Should I just narrate that, or do I have to make a check?

You can just narrate it. The Banshees will Maneuver to assist.

1 minute ago, Edgehawk said:

You can just narrate it. The Banshees will Maneuver to assist.

Okay, I'll post as soon as I can, but I'm pretty solidly creatively blocked right now (not just in this game).