The Storage Solution thread

By thereisnotry, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

On 5/10/2019 at 4:29 PM, Faranim said:

I spent a few hours making a custom FoamCore solution for mine...

Those look great. How are they held together? Hot glue gun? How sturdy are they?

I have some Planko boxes, but sometimes the cards are kind of hard to grab out of them. I like that you have the spaces built in so you can get your fingers in there.

2 minutes ago, Vince79 said:

have some Planko boxes, but sometimes the cards are kind of hard to grab out of them. I like that you have the spaces built in so you can get your fingers in there.

I cut some index cards and made triangles out of them. This way the cards cant fall flat or too flush with the walls.

27 minutes ago, Vince79 said:

Those look great. How are they held together? Hot glue gun? How sturdy are they?

I have some Planko boxes, but sometimes the cards are kind of hard to grab out of them. I like that you have the spaces built in so you can get your fingers in there.

It's just the Foam Board and standard White Elmer's Glue (like, the $0.50 a bottle kind). During construction I usually hold pieces in place using small metal pins (to keep everything straight and at 90-degree angles), but remove the pins the next day after the glue has dried. I've probably made these for about 20 different games that I own now. After making a few, you learn about some of the small things (like the finger holes) that make the inserts more usable.

I also made an Insert for Descent, which uses the exact same size box, and also uses the same size mini-cards as JIME.

On 5/12/2019 at 12:48 AM, Thaeggan said:

I cut some index cards and made triangles out of them. This way the cards cant fall flat or too flush with the walls.

The spaces in my Planko box are too small for the cards to fall flat, that would be a pain. They do get flush with the walls however, which makes them tough to grab. Could you be a little more specific about what you mean about the triangles? Do you mean you bend them into sort of like half pyramids which hold the cards away from the walls a bit?

23 hours ago, Faranim said:

It's just the Foam Board and standard White Elmer's Glue (like, the $0.50 a bottle kind). During construction I usually hold pieces in place using small metal pins (to keep everything straight and at 90-degree angles), but remove the pins the next day after the glue has dried.

Just Elmer's glue and Foam Board then. Does that really create that strong of a bond? I'd hate to have something holding cards to fall apart.

19 minutes ago, Vince79 said:

The spaces in my Planko box are too small for the cards to fall flat, that would be a pain. They do get flush with the walls however, which makes them tough to grab. Could you be a little more specific about what you mean about the triangles? Do you mean you bend them into sort of like half pyramids which hold the cards away from the walls a bit?

You'll have to cut the index cards to make them fit, then just fold to a... 3 pointed shape. The index cards will keep the player cards slanted and you can press on the index card to bow it and grab the player cards easily if needed.

Eventually I'm going to move all the player cards to a binder since each class will fit on their own page. Might do it for the items too...

IMG_20190512_222136_exported_4032109379399335198.jpg

Edited by Thaeggan
8 hours ago, Thaeggan said:

You'll have to cut the index cards to make them fit, then just fold to a... 3 pointed shape. The index cards will keep the player cards slanted and you can press on the index card to bow it and grab the player cards easily if needed.

Eventually I'm going to move all the player cards to a binder since each class will fit on their own page. Might do it for the items too...

Could you give a link to the plano box from your post?

2 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Could you give a link to the plano box from your post?

Actually, it's not a Plano box, it's an Artbin 5004AB .

I went to Walmart where I heard of people getting Plano boxes for $3 but they were all picked over. Went to a craft shop that happened to be having a 40% off sale on bins and containers so that worked out. Also got an Artbin 6990RH for the map tiles and it also fits the battle maps but the spacers it comes with are useless.

Using a Plano 3650N for my figures and probably the Artbin 5004AB when I move the player cards to a binder.

MVIMG_20190513_084053.jpg.19d846a7f36d5ea23161f14c809263d6.jpg

Edited by Thaeggan

Thanks! That's quite helpful.

12 hours ago, Thaeggan said:

Wow, picture and everything, thanks, that makes it very clear. I believe I will give that a try.

To save a little money and use all the swag I've collected over the years from the LCG, I converted some goodies for use with JIME.

The back one is the lovely COTR deck box from GenCon last year. I made some slots and put the cards in sideways (sleeved), but the dividers are too tall to seal the lid so I'm going to have to cut them a bit more. Works for me, though, as the cards were stressing me out.

57938603552__168612B8-3B58-42F2-81ED-704C2B85CCA1.JPG

@shoreless Did you glue the dividers in the CotR box in?

@Wandalf the Gizzard No. I glued the ends of the bits box to keep them together, but for the cards I cut up the Beorning boxes that came with it and made them into a divider insert, basically.

Thanks for this topic ! I'm looking for some storage ideas, looks like I found the correct place !

I'm really looking forward your feedbacks about the Feldherr insert you mention in the previous page.

I'm not really convinced (esthetically) by the plastic boxes even if it fits perfectly.

Thanks anyway for your ideas.

Greetings from France.

Huh. That’s interesting! Thanks.

I'll try to remember to post a pic, but standard deck boxes fit the mini american cards rather well if you turn them sideways.

Though I did feel a bit sad cutting up those beautiful boxes.

Does anybody received the Feldherr foam storage ? Any feedback?

I haven't, delivery time is now 20-30 days, and I have no idea when I will receive it... gives me some time to finish painting the mini's. :)

Once I have it, I will post pics of the insert and my use of it.

Hey everyone!

What do you think about using three 3500 plano boxes? One for tokens, one for cards, and one for minis.

I just received a shipping notice for the Feldherr insert. Not sure when it will arrive, Saturday at the earliest I'd imagine.
Once I have it and organize everything, I will take some pictures and post them here.

Edited by jvdvalk
grammar
8 hours ago, jvdvalk said:

I just received a shipping notice for the Feldherr insert. Not sure when it will arrive, Saturday at the earliest I'd imagine.
Once I have it and organize everything, I will take some pictures and post them here.

Same here 😀

On 5/20/2019 at 6:06 PM, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

What do you think about using three 3500 plano boxes? One for tokens, one for cards, and one for minis.

I use a Plano 3500 for all the tokens and banners. They fit in there perfectly, and it's a nice compact size.

Not sure if the minis or cards would fit in there. I use a 3700 for all the minis and cards. It doesn't come with enough dividers. I've heard they will send you some if you email them, but I just made some out of cardboard. The nice thing about the 3700 is that it's tall enough that you can stand the cards up on end. It's kind of large though. But I still have some room to accommodate a few more expansions, I'd imagine.

On 6/13/2019 at 1:59 PM, jvdvalk said:

I'm soooo looking forward your feedback and pics ! :)

I received the trays today. Fits perfect and good quality 👌

Edited by wernerkellens

Yes, got mine too! A pictorial review, with one important caveat: I have not (obviously) played the game yet with the insert. That is to say, how does it operate when setting up, tearing down, and so forth. I often organize and store games based on a rules reading and the component overview, then notice after a first (few) play(s) that stuff could be sorted differently.

With that out of the way (and wernerkellens above has a great overview of it already), here is how I did things!

eSGkhi6K3cyEaLE_HI4a3f8IQGf2QTAB0X_4OLVm

The insert. 3 pieces of foam, the deeper one on the left, the miniature tray on the right, and a topper, which is a very nice (and to my mind necessary) touch.

First the deeper tray goes into the box (I might add here, superfluously perhaps, that the original cardboard insert is of no use).

JVMN5mxJwaHW8dnV0l-_FUreR9WgpyDnCoeLqZQI

The largest tile is a bit of a tight fit. I had to rotate a few times to find the best way to put it into the largest well, but I got it in. It's snug, but not so tight that I believe it will damage.

2KzL5D3d251xy2taEXiCnbSaQ7JZEFqMEmEAYQnP

The other map tiles fit nicely, and there is actually about a third, volume wise, of the well left unused. This is good for the terrain tiles in the baggy, plus the hero sheets. Later I also add some tokens in the gap top right in the well (Inspiration and Threat). The Enemy Group / Elite tokens go in two wells at top left.

FQDiyqRkH0cP6Z4GIpG8Ud0tNKNI0IXLQvgs19_w

These are the beautiful, but just a bit too large for the insert, card boxes for mini cards. I used them for now, as you can see below, but especially the cards are a set of components that I may want to organize differently. As an example, Basic and Hero Skill cards are split in two once a campaign is started: Some are stored with the Hero sheets (at least that's how I would do it), and others are not used at all.

nCpvR1aOUd8DF9e96-aZGwk047mQjjoWeDADGZwI

This is how the bottom "component" tray looks with everything. A few extra baggies for Hero sheets and cards once the campaign is underway. Tokens added to the map tiles well. Some tokens below the Enemy Group / Elite standees. You see the deckboxes are a bit too large, but the foam is of course flexible and can take it. I tried putting cards directly in the well, but didn't find that satisfactory either. I'll try this for the time being, and as noted above, see what works better once a campaign gets underway.

Gr228EIATr9psDRruLhw5fBXK4RM2TyhnZlussch

The mini's fit perfectly. One or two Goblin swords stick out very slightly, but the foam topper takes care of that. Because I got all the components in the bottom tray, I have some space left for the mini expansion mini's. At least I hope they fit, that would be great to have them in the box too. Note, I haven't painted all of the mini's yet, to my shame and chagrin. 11 to go...

iR2fQrYSHQD-32-uN56kNq6xIuhnbfz2xJJDh9mK

Here are the trays side by side, so you can see the height difference. The miniatures tray is great, because most mini's can be stored standing.

owAApl4Irnj5TZ8LeC-4hjAbaKgnzu5Oof8kBEOb

Topper... on top.

efztsParDwxI9_Kmju-NVeF4JUs3AB_if3335zZu

Battle Boards and rule books. Extra protection for the mini's.

DNHqDVZX6r2nbwz6xanx0nNuE9TApdmlPh4Twvn3

A perfect fit. One rulebook spine is rising slightly above the rim, but with the box lid on top this is no issue. I must say that this is one of the insert's strengths: in total it has perfect height (depth) for the game box. With the Battle Boards and rules on top, it closes perfectly and keeps everything in its place.

vahTVTROFoYQEoxpEHjtODyUf27u3wfKEoYWj8k3

So much so, that I have no reservations about storing the game on its side!

And there it is, my pictorial overview / review of the Feldherr insert. All-in-all, I think it's functional, economic, mostly efficient (the odd shaped map tiles are difficult to design an insert for as it is), a perfect fit, safe storage for mini's, and I expect the insert to help in setup and teardown time as well. For what it's worth, I recommend it. :)

Thanks for this great review !

You convinded me to buy mine quickly ^^