The Storage Solution thread

By thereisnotry, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Yes, we're Gamers, and we like our games! Preferably in mint, pristine, flawless condition. And well-organized, so as to aid in set-up and tear-down. It's not OCD. It's not. It's called fastidious care. We should all take care of our things. Immaculately.

[Excuse me while I go wash my hands again.]

Ahem....I'm creating this thread to serve the purpose of gathering all of our storage solutions in one place, in the hope that we can build off of one another's creativity and share the best storage solutions that we can collectively develop. I encourage everyone to take pics and post them here. It would also be helpful if we could try to post the model numbers where possible...I'm thinking of you , Mr. Plano storage box!

So, without further ado, I came up with this rather simple good-enough-for-now solution for the minis and tokens: All it takes is a simple Plano 3600 box (the larger one, for the minis) and a Plano 3500 box (the smaller one, for the tokens), which I happened to have lying around the house.

Journeys in Middle Earth storage solution

I don't think this solution will be good for storing the minis if you paint them--in which case you'll probably want a Feldherr foam case or something--but I'm happy with it for the time being. Regardless, I'm quite happy with the 3500 box, since it's just about perfect for the tokens.

I haven't bothered with the cards yet since I don't have enough of the small sleeves (yes, the small FFG ones used in X-Wing and Imperial Assault and everything else, are the right fit). Assuming the numbers in the Learn to Play guide are correct, we need 337 sleeves in total. Plus 6 other sleeves for the heroes...and those hero cards are an odd shape: they're significantly wider than standard MtG cards and quite a bit longer too.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to other Gamers who like to take good care of their stuff.

Definitely will look into getting some of those Plano boxes, but I'm probably going to be a barbarian at first just tossing everything back into the box until I have the solutions to fit everything.

6 minutes ago, thereisnotry said:

Assuming the numbers in the Learn to Play guide are correct, we need 337 sleeves in total. Plus 6 other sleeves for the heroes...and those hero cards are an odd shape: they're significantly wider than standard MtG cards and quite a bit longer too.

Fantasy Flight Games (FFG) literally tell us what we need for sleeves on the game's product page. On the left . 7 Yellow and 1 Orange sleeve packs

Edited by Thaeggan

I'm probably going to buy pluck foam trays for the minis. Tokens will definitely just be tossed into plastic boxes like those you have, I have a billion of those things.

The cards are the big question mark for me. Haven't decided what to do yet. I made a custom box from a wood art box for my LOTR LCG stuff. I won't go that fancy for this game, but I will need something .

My game is arriving in the mail tomorrow!

I sleeved all the cards last night. I've then split everything into baggies.

Storage for the cards is probably the most difficult. I ended up splitting them into categories (weakness, damage, fear, etc) and bagging individual categories.

I'll see how annoyed I get by this before looking at other solutions.

For what it's worth, the Orange pack of sleeves seems pretty pointless for just 6 character cards. Anyone know which other games use those sleeves?

2 hours ago, Majushi said:

F or what it's worth, the Orange pack of sleeves seems pretty pointless for just 6 character cards. Anyone know which other games use those sleeves?

Journeys in Middle Earth expansions.

On 4/16/2019 at 12:24 PM, thereisnotry said:

So, without further ado, I came up with this rather simple good-enough-for-now solution for the minis and tokens: All it takes is a simple Plano 3600 box (the larger one, for the minis) and a Plano 3500 box (the smaller one, for the tokens)

Looks like the stuff fits in there perfectly. At least until the expansions come out.

1 hour ago, Vince79 said:

Looks like the stuff fits in there perfectly. At least until the expansions come out.

Yes, it does. In fact, I think it's ideal for now. I remember that Imperial Assault was like this too: I had found a great solution for the Core Set and the first expansion, but after that my collection very quickly outgrew that initial storage solution.

On 4/16/2019 at 6:38 PM, Majushi said:

For what it's worth, the Orange pack of sleeves seems pretty pointless for just 6 character cards. Anyone know which other games use those sleeves?

Yeah the Orange pack are the sleeves for the Ships in SW: Armada

Thanks for the storage suggestion and pictures. Followed your plan.

For the card I bought a 360 mini cards folio from ultra-pro. (Marketed for X_Wings). Displays character skills, role skills, items and trinkets for easy search. I bagged Damage, Fear Terrain/Boons, Basic skills and Weaknesses because I guess there's no need to search through those.

I'm still considering sleeving the card. I'm not a sleever, but I guess at least the skills cards will get shuffled a lot.

Used Word to make some card dividers. Currently I have them in a small separate cardboard box but I am working on a foam core insert.

cards.jpg

I got the Plano 3700, although I needed to make a few extra dividers out of box cardboard (fits perfectly).

It's a little large, but I was able to fit all the cards and minis in it.

I used the 3500 for the tokens, as the OP suggested.

Thanks for posting. I was just using the core box, but I can definitely see the benefits of just opening the box and keeping everything in it as the "common supply."

Anyone know if there is a box insert being made for this game to fit everything in the original box?

I already got my plastic containers, but it just doesn't feel right.

7 hours ago, Thaeggan said:

Anyone know if there is a box insert being made for this game to fit everything in the original box?

I already got my plastic containers, but it just doesn't feel right.

You can find a couple on Etsy and Feldherr released one as well.

Could you add a link to the Feldherr insert? Thanks.

Thank you!

That looks great.

I just ordered the one from Feldherr... I’ll keep you all up-to-date...

Edited by wernerkellens

I have ordered the one from Battle Foam. Once it arrives I will see if it accommodates sleeved cards.

I spent a few hours making a custom FoamCore solution for mine...

It's a 3-tiered organizer, most of which is mini-cards, and a few trays with tokens. Bottom level is Minis and Map Tiles.

JIME-FC3.jpg

JIME-FC4.jpg

I also ordered the Feldherr insert. It's already sold out, delivery in a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, jvdvalk said:

I also ordered the Feldherr insert. It's already sold out, delivery in a few weeks.

I’m eager to see some reviews of the Feldherr insert. It looks really nice! My main concern is the cards though. There are more than I expected and they’re all jumbled up in the bags. Do they actually make card boxes for this size card that could fit in the JIME box? That wit dividers would be nice.

Yes I have 10 deckboxes on order for mini cards: https://ultimateguard.com/en/mini-card-case/mini-card-case-60-mystic-space-edition

Not sure if and how I will get them in the box, and how to sort them. Also, when in a campaign, I'll have to find a way to organize the Hero cards together, which will take up more space.
Once I have the insert, deckboxes, and figured it all out, I'll share some pictures. :)