Legend of the Five Rings Play by Post

By tubatimb2, in Your Stories

.....Anyway.

Queue appropriate soundtrack. [ Despite Keanu Reeves' acting, the 47 Ronin OST has some beautiful pieces of music in it.... ]

It is 1123, late in the dry season in the fertile southeast of Rokugan.

More than a few Ronin travel through the region at this time of year; pilgrims visit the distinguished dojos and shrines of the Crane, whilst sell-swords ply their trade amongst the merchant caravans and ships – rubbing shoulders with their more desperate or foolhardy brethren passing through to serve with the Crab Clan at the Kaiu Wall.

More than a few are simply enjoying the benevolent climate; a land where even a penniless vagabond can rest in a dry, warm meadow on soft earth and sleep as soundly as a Hantei prince.

You have been heading south along the River of Gold by a merchant highway for a few days*. The last dregs of the day’s sun are making for a warm evening, and set the river shimmering like its namesake, whilst a fresh breeze is pleasant and refreshing. The crushed chalk of the path crunches under your sandals – the wide, flat road paid is for by trade levies and is easily a match for parts of the Emperor’s Road you have seen on your travels in some backwater provinces.

Just in view ahead of you, nestled in a curve in the riverbank, is your immediate destination: Hiuchiishi Ganpeki Mura** – a small Crane river-port, and one of the last settlements before the Crab border posts. You hear the dull ring of a gong echoing up the river - the first thing in hours to spoil an otherwise perfect afternoon. The gong is sounding to announce to those working in the nearby fields that the village will soon be closing its gates for the night; and irritatingly you realise you are still too far away to arrive there before it does so.

You can see other samurai on the road nearby, who – given the sudden slump in their shoulders, have just come to the same conclusion that you have.

GM Notes:

* Specifically, the East Bank, somewhat to the north of the Black Crane Estates of the Yasuki; more or less directly across the river from the Golden Sun Plains and the Sparrow Clan fortress, Kyuden Suzume.

** Flint Quay Village, if I've got it right. If I haven't, that was the intent.

Essentially this is a downtime scene with the opportunity to introduce yourself and your destinations to one another, and decide what you want to do for the immediate future. Obvious options might be camping down and maybe sharing some stories and/or food (especially if any of you have anything but travelling rations!) or pressing on to demand entry to the village after curfew.

((BTW, I've never done play by post before, so let me know if there's anything I'm doing wrong or if you just prefer it be done another way.. for now stuff in double parenthesis is out of character info.))

After stopping, with a somewhat dejected look about her, a young woman with gold chain and diamond jewelry decorating her lavender hair stops and stands tall, breathing in the air. The woman smiles and exhales, then opens her eyes. "well.." she says "this isn't a bad place to camp. Might as well get some firewood together". The woman begins to head toward the nearest clump of trees before adding "Hmm.. I wonder if the fish are biting today". ((I get 3 successes, 1 opportunity, and 3 strife for foraging firewood (assuming a water+survival role).. and another longer and thinner piece of wood that she intends to use for fishing.))

She piles up whatever wood she's gathered in a spot relatively close to the river and she clears the area of any debris that may accidently catch on fire. After clearing the area, the woman takes out her blanket and places it carefully on the ground. Next she takes off her dark brown overcoat, revealing exotic, faded and threadbare purple and pink clothing. The overcoat gets folded and placed carefully on the blanket. She sits on the blanket and takes off her soft leather boots revealing blistered feet. Closing her eyes once again and taking a deep breath, the woman exhales, opens her eyes, and then stands, taking her fishing pole in hand as she does so. ((I rolled Void+survival to try to determine if it would rain tonight, no successes and two opportunity.)) After approaching the river bank, the woman sticks her fishing pole into the water to see how deep it is, after finding a shallow portion of the river, she cuts the end of her pole into a tip, and looks around to see if anyone else is still around and, if so, what they are doing. Finally though, she pulls the bottoms of her pants up to her knees and ties them there before wading into the river and starts fishing. ((I rolled water+survival for fishing and got 2 successes and 1 strife.))

(( Aruzahn planned on building the fire and maybe cooking fish too, but I thought maybe I should stop for a bit and see what others are doing.. or what else happens))

Really interesting setting and cast, will be following!

When Yoshi hears the village gong and realizes he isn't going to make it - his mouth briefly twists in irritation. But he settles himself quickly. "Well. Its not like I am in hurry to get anywhere."

As he travelled he kept his eyes open for "non-attached" edibles. Yoshi isn't nearly desperate enough to acquire someones chicken...but kept his open for food beyond rations. Wild onions. Eggs from a birds nest ... ((And of an Earth/Survival check rolled 1 success, and an option w/ strife. I'd use that option and eat a point of strife if it produced food)).

Seeing a good camp already being set up on the side of the road Yoshi boldly walks up, " Greetings honorable traveler. I am Yoshi no-Kaze, a Ronin of good repute. Would you be willing to share this site? I do not snore and would help with any watch schedule you care to set. If not, I will depart and not trouble you further. But if yes I can also promise to share the gossip I have heard of the road leading here..."

Yoshi looks like a traveling ronin bushi. He's in gray traveling clothes, wears the daisho on his hip & a large traveling pack. The silk sash wrapped around his waist looks nice. As ronin go he doesn't look especially poor, dirty or desperate.

Edited by Void Crane

Yoshi, holding a small handful of wild onions - not enough for a meal in themselves but enough to pad out the dried rice balls in his pack into something more appetizing - announces himself and walks openly up to a neat camp between road and river.

The camp has a small fire already crackling away made from dry deadfall wood, with a blanket and pack neatly rolled up next to it. Just beyond, Aruzahn is wading in the river a couple of steps out from the bank, cursing softly under her breath in ujik as she lunges after a quick-swimming, shimmering river carp with her fishing spear.

GM Notes:

Downtime scenes are generally only a single check; gathering some firewood is easy enough to be TN0 and not require a check, but getting some food with your improvised fishing spear is a moderately challenging activity.

Ahruzahn

If you'd had a fishing rod in your pack, I'd have called it a TN1 Produce (Earth)/Survival, but since you're instead improvising a fishing spear, I'll call it a TN2 Innovate (Fire)/Survival. You'll catch at least something, but success indicates you caught enough to make a meaningful meal without using up a 'meals' worth of your travelling rations, and each bonus success means enough to feed someone else if you choose to share.

Yoshi

Again, you'll probably find something, but 1 succsess isn't going to be enough for a meal by itself. Everyone's travelling pack will have food in it, though, so it's far from the end of the world.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

((If I roll fire+survival for fishing I get 3 successes and 2 strife. If necessary, she'll use the fish with her rations so she can share with others.))

The lavender haired woman pauses for a moment and thrusts her fishing spear into the water. Then, with a smile, she finally replies "we are but honored guests in the house of the kami. It is they who provide us with this beautiful site under the stars, and with the feast we are about to receive. Settle down and enjoy what has been provided for us Yoshi no Kaze-san. I am called Aruzhan, shugenja by trade and ronin by circumstance. I can't promise I don't snore and I'm not one for gossip, but it's always nice to have someone to talk to." Aruzhan flips a fish onto shore. "say, are you familiar with lady Natsuki in fallen branch town? One of the travelers along the road was telling me of a rather vibrant conversation she was having with lord Manabu.." Aruzhan turns her attention back to the carp in the water. "Oh, the fish don't like our conversation. It's okay. They'll be joining us soon enough."

At the sound of the gong, Hekasu hesitates in his step, then comes to a stop. Turning to the setting sun, he gives a deep bow and thanks Lady Sun for the light she provided today. He then looks about him, sees the fire, and makes his way towards it.

He approaches, hands open and palms forward, "good evening, fellow travelers. I see I'm not the only one who was caught admiring the land's beauty instead of a speedy pace. May I share your fire?"

He wears a decent set of traveling clothes, a tent pack on his back. His hair is short, to his shoulders, and his voice and appearance somewhat effeminate.

Hekasu-by-Jen-Var.png

Edited by Hida Jitenno
had artwork made for my character, and put it spoiler tags because the image takes up a lot of space

Two Ronin are already sat at the fire as Hekasu approaches, discussing gossip they've heard on the road - third-hand most of it might be, but those samurai cast about by the waves can never afford to ignore a rumour of quarrels or disputes at court which might lead to the chance for profitable service,

True to Aruzahn's prediction, a pair of river carp have joined the other guests at the camp, and are sizzling away on a stone, silver scales gently flaking off in the heat, whilst a handful of wild onions brown under them - a welcome change from travelling rations.

GM Notes:

Ahruzan; with one bonus success, you've two portions of food. You can bulk that up to a decent, tasty meal for three with some rice or dried noodles (one portion of travelling rations) - from whoever wants to contribute

Yoshi; having come from near the wall, the main 'big news' thing you're likely to have heard relates to Kanazagan no Oni's assault on the Wall (not that you'd necessarily know its name) - you would almost certainly know Hida Tonomatsu's though, as the commander who beat it off, along with ill-defined rumours about a bunch of Emerald Magistrates and a former Ronin who were instrumental to the victory. "The wall got attacked by monsters" is hardly news, of course, but the scale is unusual, hence a recent twenty-goblin-winter.

Hekasu; since you've come overland south past the heart of the Empire, your biggest 'bombshell' is probably the death of Doji Satsume, which the others - one having come from the west, and one from the east, won't have heard yet. You haven't yet picked anything in particular for a downtime activity; something like Recall (Earth)/Culture, Government, or Sentiment might yield the odd extra rumour you remember from your travels, since you've been passing more significant places than the other two - otherwise, let me know what you want to do for your downtime activity.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

((OOC: if somebody will give me, out of character, [a] an essential commodity/item, a group/organization, and [c] an item of clothing then Yoshi will produce a tantalizing totally-might-be-true-beacuse-I-heard-it-once piece of Gossip about the Yasuki))

Edited by Void Crane

GM Notes:

Island 'Medicinal' Herbs & Spices

The Daidoji Trading Council

Obi

Edited by Magnus Grendel

((ooc: 1 success for Earth/Culture.))

"You don't say?" Hekasu says, leaning into the discussion. "She really did that?"

Edited by Hida Jitenno

Aruzhan laughs "Well that's what they say!"

As the night lingers on it becomes clear that the young shugenja really doesn't know much about the various rumors and gossip going around the empire. She will politely take part in discussion, mostly in the form of adding some notes about the history of various situations and people mentioned by the other ronin. When the ronin finish their meals, Aruzhan takes the dishes to the river to wash them. As it grows late, Aruzhan will excuse herself to briefly practice her wakazashi forms, proving that she is about as skilled with a sword as one might expect from a novice shugenja. Aruzhan may still make some random comments about the gossip going around, proving that she is still listening.

GM Notes:

Sorry, should have given you a TN there, but I was only planning it to be TN1. I guess if you want, that qualifies for you to get a void point if you have the capacity to have an extra one.

In addition to Doji Satsume's death, Hekasu remembers a couple of rumors he heard passing through near the capital. Yasuki Onodera-Sama is a relatively senior Crab Clan official. His holdings are sizeable, although consisting of small, scattered estates - if the name is mentioned, Yoshi will have passed near at least one of them on his way east, and there are others to the south between you and Yasuki Yashiki. He's an elderly widower, and it's no particular secret that he's recently agreed a betrothal for a new bride, nor is it an achievement to be aware of it. The bride is a young Phoenix Clan girl from Otosan Uchi, about whom Hekasu heard some scandalous rumours whilst acting as guard to a minor clan courtier on her way home from the capital. Suffice to say that according to the rumour the marriage was supposedly arranged with a sense of extreme urgency on the part of the Phoenix matchmaker involved...

I'll give people a chance to share and digest their particular rumours - real and fake - then we'll "the next morning" and draw a line under the scene once you're done.

However you slice it, Yoshi is a physically a large man. But he hunches up and leans forward with interest when talking about the events of the world. And when things turn from facts to rumors and speculation there is almost the glee of a small boy. He doesn't necessarily take any of it especially seriously but he clearly enjoys a tasty bit that's well presented.

After talking about "business" picking up on the Wall. The heroism of Hida Tonomatsu and the Emerald Magistrates (and perhaps a few ronin too), Yoshi breathlessly tells you this ground floor-I just heard it-could be true nugget :

"I passed a monk dedicated to Osanowo heading south to the Wall. And he said he heard from a reliable source that everyone had better stock up on *ahem* "medicinal" herbs and spices. That's because his source heard that that the Yasuki family was angling to drive up the price. Maybe even with the help of the Daidoji Trading Council to do it. I know its sounds a little crazy, but supposedly its really all about an insult Hida Tonomatsu made to some Yasuki Daimyo about the cost of their Obi. They're really angry and ready to gouge toe Hida when they are on leave from the wall. Honestly, if its true You'd think they'd be more mature. Guess we'll see. i mostly stick to saki anyway."

Edited by Void Crane

((OOC: Nope, Void 1, but thanks. My roll was 1r0s on all the options, so not like I had a difficult choice to make in keep dice))

"A Yasuki daimyo, you say? It wasn't Yasuki Onodera, was it? He's got a new wedding coming up, young lovely bride." Hekasu rubs his chin. "Perhaps he's trying to boost his income to show off for her."

As I see Aruzhan go off, Hekasu stands and gives a polite bow. "Excuse me, please."

He walks over to the river, pulling up his sleeves and tying them back. "We all shared in the wonderful carp you caught Aruzhan-san; it would by unjust of me to leave you washing these alone. Here, pass me that stack."

Edited by Hida Jitenno

The following morning, you rise early, break down the camp, and make your way to the gates of Hiuchiishi Ganpeki Mura.

Many of the heimin are already streaming out of the gates into the fields. Seeing you approaching, they step smartly off the road and how, before disappearing into the fields and paddies to begin their duties.

At the gates, a pair of ashigaru watch the comings and goings through the village's palisade gate, stood at ease with yari resting on their shoulders. A single flash of cloth in rich teal is wound around each shoulder, somewhat at odds with their plain, unornamented uniforms and armour. Seeing your Samurai status - even as 'mere' ronin - you are waved through without challenge.

Beyond the gates is a large market square. One side is the river, with a long, mortered-together flint dock which gives the village its name. Two fishing boats are moored up, their crews readying them for the day's work. A second is warehousing buildings whilst the other two are neat market stalls and izakaya. One stall is grilling copper-piece skewers of vegetables in honey and fragrant island spices, with the odd chunk of chicken or fish for those merchants with some silver in their money pouch.

GM Notes:

This is a new, narrative scene.

There are a couple of checks that might be relevant.

General awareness of the village would be a TN2 Survey (water)/Labour.

The behaviour of the villagers will be a TN1 Survey (water)/Sentiment

By comparison, you won't miss the village's market or defensive walls.

A TN2 Assess (air)/Tactics will represent a professional evaluation of the defences, whilst a TN2 Theorize (fire)/Commerce lets you figure out the implications of what you can see in the market.

Divide up the checks and assistance as you see fit.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

"Ooh, breakfast!" Hekasu smiles, heading right to one of the vegetable kabob stalls. He chats amiably with the merchant, asks about tea or bath houses, and, should the merchant feel so inclined, a question or two about the local rumor mill.

(water 3/sentiment 0:

1521230551_ExplosiveSuccessSmall.png.2cc 1518491343_StrifeSmall.png.6434e11e967f0 , 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 , 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 1518491343_StrifeSmall.png.6434e11e967f0 , all kept. Explodes to: 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 1518491343_StrifeSmall.png.6434e11e967f0 , kept. Add 3 strife. 1 water opp to remove 2 strife; 1 opp to add opp to next social roll this scene, made TN1 plus 1 bonus success)).

Edited by Hida Jitenno

As Aruzhan slowly makes her way to the Daimyo's estate ((assuming the village is run by a daimyo rather than a head-man)) she stops for a moment to ponder buying some breakfast, before looking down at her feet and then slowly trudging onward. She then smiles and walks over to, who she assumes is a starving child. "Oh! Isn't this wonderous ? Look what I've found!" she says as she pulls a zeni from the child's ear. She then gets an odd look on her face as if listening to something that isn't there. "Ah.. I see.. " She looks the child in the eyes. " The Kami tell me that they hid this zeni with you today, because they think you should eat well. Why don't you go buy one of those Kabobs that man is selling over there?" The shugenja stays to make sure the child is not trifled with and that she does as she's told, then continues onward, admiring the architecture and maintenance of buildings in the village, imagining that such things will give her clues as to the city's history.

((I'll make the TN2 survey/ labor roll, getting two explodes with strife, and a third success with strife. I kept all the dice, but two of them were blanks, so 3 successes and 3 strife total. for that matter, I may as well only keep 2 successes and 2 strife unless the extra success actually does something.))

Edited by Black_Rabbit_Inle

Yoshi wanders the market stalls. "Oh, isn't this wonderful." He mutters & reaches up by his ears looking for hidden coins. And comes up empty. " Well my thanks to the Kami anyway. For a nice sunrise. " ... Hope I find employment before I have to spend money on food!

Yoshi keeps an eye out for are book/scroll sellers. He doesn't have cash now but would be interested in finding someone who might at some point have a pillow book version of the Tao of Shinsei or Akodo's Leadership. Also. Moving past and through the kebab sellers Yoshi tries to get an overall view of what's happening in the market...and perhaps if there are opportunities for employment. Much as Yoshi is ready to eat breakfast, he holds onto his handful of zeni's hoping for a meal at an employer's expense.

((sounds like Yoshi gets to try Fire/Commerce. Fire is *ahem* not my best ring. But I do have 2 ranks in commerce. I roll ... a blank & two dice that each come up with a success and a strife. Since my Ring is only 1, and I'm hoping to land job, I'll use my Void point to keep the two successes (and strife). Though I make the TN 2 check, I guess thinking about going hungry or whittling down my very small stack of coins is a bit stressful for Yoshi))

Looking at one vendor. Then another. Yoshi starts connecting dots in his head and he realizes ...

Edited by Void Crane

...The smell of Hekasu's kabob is annoyingly appealing, which makes him think about the smell itself. At first it is merely finding the scent of the warming Gotei spices pleasantly distracting, but then is occurs that these are a highly unlikely seasoning for a merchant stall in a relatively backwater village. Richer merchants could easily afford them, and it would be no great rudeness for a samurai - even a relatively low-born Ronin - to expect such things on their food, but the meals here were being cooked for farming and fishing labourers. Which must, logically, mean the price of such spices here is a lot lower than he would normally expect - most likely because the spices are being landed here without the surcharge normally levied for moving them across Yasuki lands from Clear Water Village, where ships from the Islands of Spice and Silk normally land. Whether this represents criminal smuggling, or simply some creative route to bypass the customary port, is impossible to tell.

Hekasu himself is munching away on the hot-fried vegetables as a young peasant child suddenly scampers around him, gleefully trading 'the Kami's' copper for a kabob that looks about half the size of her, before vanishing into the crowd with an audible and slightly comic 'eeeep' as she registers the towering figure looming over her is another samurai, not simply one of the villages' heavy-set quay workers.

There are quite a few of the latter, Hekasu realises, a few of them - on the far side of the square - nonchalantly holding long boat-hooks. And whilst the merchant is deferential, he is very much confining himself to simple answers rather than the long-winded declarations (usually extolling the quality of good hawked by an immediate relative, in his experience). Whilst he is clearly not foolish enough to want to cause offence, you get the distinct impression he wants the whole transaction done with as quickly as possible. The mood is not quite what you might call 'ugly' (any peasant within several paces is backing away, bowing appropriately - maybe even a bit more than appropriately) but, the child's reaction to Aruzhan's 'magic trick' aside, is not by any stretch of the imagination 'welcoming'.

As Ahruzhan looks around the market, something else jumps to her attention. The stone quay the village is named for is quite a little feat of engineering - with the mud and chalk of the nearby banks it was the most sensible way to create a solid, long-lasting dock, but building it would have been no small task for a peasant village, and if it is old enough for the village to be named for it, then it must have been there for many years - an impression reinforced by the occasional well-applied repair work visible between the boats moored there. That seems somewhat drastically at odds with the 'warehouses' adjoining the dock, which are little more than a series of heavy poles supporting overhead sheets of heavy, oiled canvas to fend off sun and rain - she has seen more permanent-looking structures in Moto overnight encampments, and the kind of careful labourers who would have build the quay accepting such temporary stand-ins any longer than necessary strikes you as unlikely, especially given how little shelter they will offer once the rains come. And yet, they are inside the village perimeter, and not 'excess' warehouse space quickly built to house some unexpected trade caravan or stored-up tax harvest. The poles are moss-stained but not rotten, suggesting they've seen at least part of one rainy season but probably no more.

Much like the palisade fence around the village, come to think about it.

GM Notes:

You needn't bother keeping the extra success (and strife), and you might as well avoid bothering with the Tactics check

Aruzhan wears a slight smile as she tries to guess the story behind the new construction of the warehouses. "Flood? no of course not. " she says as she surveys the buildings. "Fire?" Her eyes have probably passed over the village walls several times before she realizes that the palisade is new as well. Suddenly she realizes that palisade walls aren't meant to fend off fire or floods. She turns to the other ronin, trying to hide the concern that is now pouring into her mind. "If you ronin are planning on staying in the village tonight, we should probably go introduce ourselves." She looks toward the village's largest house, trying to guess whether it could even accommodate three guests, then she moves in that direction.

Hekasu ends the conversation with the merchant after a moment and then joins Aruzhan. "Good morning; that was a kind thing you did for the child. You wouldn't mind if I join you in reporting?"

While he walks, Hekasu ponders the spices, and decides that he hopes there's a good relationship with the Yasuki in the village. Making a mutual friend would help him greatly with his task.

" I wouldn't mind, Hekasu-san. Yoshi no kaze-san, will you join us? I believe there may be enough work in this village for all of us?"

As the ronin move toward the manor house, Aruzhan quietly converses with the others. "The recent construction of those warehouses and the city wall seems rather hasty. what could be slowing the progress in constructing more reliable buildings? what happened to the previous buildings to begin with?"

Hekasu looks towards the warehouses briefly, but his eye for architecture is unequal to Aruzhan's.

"Perhaps they've just been busier lately since the tsunami? I could guess that there would be an increase in the imports based on the increased need. Not to mention, weren't less-well-built structures destroyed by that?" He gives a one-shouldered shrug, tucking his thumbs into his obi. "Though, I'm sure your better-trained, and quite lovely, eyes could spot much more detail about them than my own."

"I feel Like there is something at the back of my head. Or on the tip of my tongue. But I can't quite pin it down."

A satisfied smile crosses Yoshi face, "Work you say? That would be welcome news..."