Legend of the Five Rings Play by Post

By tubatimb2, in Your Stories

I have a worldly ronin concept brewing. I love how they are so adaptable that all of us could be worldly ronin and still be distinct.

You've already stated that the lack of shugenja wouldn't be an issue and access to rituals still allows supernatural shinanagns. Even more so if someone goes forbidden knowledge to grab a single useful spell

Should we start our 20 questions or are we going to wait a few more days for maximum interest?

Okay, so I'm pretty much decided on (Iuchi) Aruzhan, an Iuchi Meishodo master who was actually born in the burning sands. Aruzhan decided to travel through Rokugan as a ronin to try to learn more about the spirits and magic of Rokugan, which she feels that she isn't well enough connected with to actually help safeguard the spirits of samurai. She hopes that along the way she can find Rokugani who will actually accept her and her "foreign" ways, both so that she can help guide people to enlightenment, and also so that she might be able to find someplace to call home. In the Burning Sands she always felt like a foreign Rokugani, and in Rokugan she feels like a Gaijin.

I'm thinking that, while helping her sensei investigate some ancient ruins, Aruzhan found some lost lore which was being protected by some Qolat or assassins, thus giving her either a sworn enemy (assassin) or maybe the animosity of the Kolat conspiracy.

Short version:

Hekasu, raised in Nanashi Mura with the aspirations of being a good, honorable samurai and courtier. Some minimal combat ability as taught by the Dojo of the Eye, but far prefers social interaction. Heading towards the Yasuki lands to arrange some Friendly Traveler Sake to be sent up for a special celebration in Nanashi Mura.

Long version:

Get to know him and you might find out.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:36 AM, tubatimb2 said:

Should we start our 20 questions or are we going to wait a few more days for maximum interest?

If you're more or less ready, I think we might as well kick off.

So.... (formerly Iuchi) Ahruzan on a shujenga's equivalent of the Musha Shugyo (makes sense; you'll be starting in the vicinity of Asahina lands).

Ahruzan's (adversarial) connection to the Kolat is noted.

My only query is if she knows they were kolat; the existance of the kolat isn't a complete secret like in other versions but "My sensei found some lore being hidden in a secret cave by cultists and occasionally someone tries to screw me over from behind the scenes" doesn't necessarily automatically equal 'kolat'. If you've subsequently had dealings with a kolat cell (maybe as your achievement?), that's different.

Scratch that; one other query - is your former sensei still alive? Since he or she is 'stationary' and a far more obvious target than a temporary ronin who's last known address was "sleeping under a blossom tree just north of the Black Crane Estates", any specific retribution would be likely to land there first (or at least 'as well').

Hesaku - fair enough. If you have any relationships with any individual or faction you don't want to advertise, sling it in a PM so I know what to add or avoid in the storyline.

You've come a fair distance (it can be assumed any ronin will probably have heard of Nanashi Mura*) - if you've come overland, you'll have a pretty good idea about the escalating tensions near toshi ranbo, and are likely to have passed the centre of the empire in about the right time-frame to hear about Doji Satsume's death.

On the other hand, If you struck for the coast and managed to secure passage on a ship (which would have been the faster way south), you may well have worked your passage by selling your sword, given the increase in raiding crane commerce by Mantis-sponsored pirates.

* If you haven't, it's a town granted to Ronin Samurai on the southern edge of Dragon Clan lands about forty years ago because the Dragon Clan champion said so. Since it's widely assumed that the heirs of Togashi can read the future, presumably a ronin army there will be important some day. Since they're also widely known for being unnecessarily cryptic to the point of incomprehensibility, trying to figure out why and when is probably impossible except in hindsight....

Edited by Magnus Grendel
On 4/19/2019 at 3:36 AM, tubatimb2 said:

I have a worldly ronin concept brewing. I love how they are so adaptable that all of us could be worldly ronin and still be distinct.

I suspect the school was deliberately designed to be so. The fact that the school ability is basically "expertise at [pick one] skills" makes it very flexible, and it certainly deserves the courtier/bushi double-tagging.

Look forward to seeing the character.

Edited by Magnus Grendel
16 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Hesaku - fair enough. If you have any relationships with any individual or faction you don't want to advertise, sling it in a PM so I know what to add or avoid in the storyline.

You've come a fair distance (it can be assumed any ronin will probably have heard of Nanashi Mura*) - if you've come overland, you'll have a pretty good idea about the escalating tensions near toshi ranbo, and are likely to have passed the centre of the empire in about the right time-frame to hear about Doji Satsume's death.

On the other hand, If you struck for the coast and managed to secure passage on a ship (which would have been the faster way south), you may well have worked your passage by selling your sword, given the increase in raiding crane commerce by Mantis-sponsored pirates.

Probably over-land. I took the "traditionalist" stance of honor for the +10, so I don't particularly see him sellswording to the Mantis against the Crane. Not to mention the Eyes of Nanashi are pretty much on the "Ronin Magistrate" side of things, I don't see him signing on with a crew of Pirates, Mantis-sponsored or otherwise.

I'm not planning on "Paladin"-ing it (no Paragon advantages either), but I'm not "bandit-adjacent" either.

Cool. If we have a true Shugenja then I will shelve the Fortunist Monk. Instead, I'll put up a more traditional ronin. Coming...will post Yoshi no-Saki later tonight.

Edited by Void Crane

20 questions for Aruzhan (pending GM approval)

1: what clan territory is the character from? Unicorn +1 water , Survival +1

2: Family: Iuchi +1 void , Meditation +1 , Theology +1

3: School/roles: Iuchi Meishodo master (Shugenja, Artisan) +1 earth , +1 water , Aesthetics +1 , Design +1 , Theology +1, travelling clothes, Wakazashi, travelling pack, horsebow Grasp of earth, Jurojin's balm, commune with spirits, Ancestry unearthed, the way of names (school ability)

4:how does the character stand out within their school? Even more so than most Iuchi, Aruzhan was known for her drive and passion, causing her to go to great lengths in the name of being the best guide and protector of samurai that a person could be. +1 fire .

5:Past: (some details are in discussion with the GM) Like most shugenja, Aruzhan was taught to take her duty to protect and preserve the purity of samurais spirits very seriously. As a result of events during her Gempukku, Aruzhan abandoned her duties among the Unicorn clan and began wandering Rokugan as a ronin, although she avoids seeking out samurai to guide, she has noticed that many ronin are unable to gain guidance from other Shugenja, so she does her best to gently guide and watch after the spiritual purity of ronin. ( Giri: Guide samurai and protect their spiritual purity .)

6:What does your character long for? Ninjo Gain acceptance for her Barbaric ways and beliefs, so she can be at home in Rokugan . She has come to realize that protecting the spiritual purity of Rokugani is possibly incompatible with getting them to accept her more gaijin beliefs.

7:--

8: what does your character think of Bushido? Even before becoming ronin, Aruzhan doubted the value of bushido. While in foreign lands Aruzhan often found her rokugani beliefs to be at odds with more influential forces, so she learned to operate through guile when necessary. +1 Skullduggery

9: Greatest accomplishment: Aruzhan helped her sensei explore some ruins in the burning sands, where her flexibility allowed her to bypass traps and get into tight places that others couldn't go, leading her to uncover lost lore. distinction: Flexibility .

10: What holds your character back most: Aruzhan was born and raised in the burning sands, more than most unicorn, Aruzhan has a foreign look (she is possibly half gaijin). Even her name is uncommon for unicorn, having originated from a tribe that migrated into the burning sands from regions further west. (as I was looking through Mongolian names, Aruzhan appeared as a Khazak name that made it's way east.) Gaijin name/ Culture/ Appearance .

11: What activity makes your character feel at peace? having studied ancient lore from a young age, thinking about history reminds Aruzhan of simpler times. Passion History .

12: what troubles your character most? Like the great Kami Shinjo, Aruzhan simply can't stay still. Adversity: Impatience .

13: Who has your character learned the most from in life? Her old sensei Iuchi Yasuhiro who prepared Iuchi Aruzhan to explore ruins in search of ancient lore. The details of this are in discussion with the GM, but she picks up Scorn of (one group) and culture +1 .

14: what do people notice first when encountering your character? Honestly, Aruzhan has a gaijin look and style that stands out pretty well. Perhaps her most notable accessory is her head jewelry with gold chain and diamonds, that decorates her hair, which she tries to keep died lavender.

15: How does your character react to stressful situations? Nervous laughter and snark .

16:Pre-existing relation with other clans/organizations? After spending some time around the Asahina, they might have gifted Aruzhan with a high quality jeweler's kit (which she would use for making her meishodo talismans), but I don't see any such thing listed in the book. I could always say she took a scimitar from the cultists she fought in the burning sands or something.

17: how would your parents describe you? As a child, Aruzhan was always quiet, polite, and considerate of others. courtesy +1 .

18: Samurai heritage? (rolled 2 and 9) chose 2: glorious sacrifice rolled 6 a set of armor (I choose sacred quality and gm should choose a quality) Aruzhan chose the name of her mother's sister who gave her life while helping some unicorn escape from a horde dedicated to the ancient gods of death.

19: Personal name: Aruzhan is a foreign name meaning "Beautiful Soul"

20: How should Aruzhan die? Aruzhan would want to die peacefully, at an old age, after guiding many samurai toward enlightenment and having made a home for herself in Rokugan.

Final rings:

Earth: 2, Air: 1, Fire:2, Water: 3, Void :2

Final skills:

Survial +1, Meditation +1, Theology +2, Aesthetics +1, Design +1, Skullduggery +1, Culture +1, Courtesy +1

Advantages:

Flexibility, Passion (history)

Disadvantages

Gaijin name/ culture/ appearance, Impatience, Scorn of (group)

Techniques:

(invocations) Grasp of earth, Jurojin's balm (rituals) Commune with spirits (Shuji) Ancestry unearthed, (school) way of names.

P.S.: I forgot the derived attributes.

Endurance: 8, Composure 10, Focus 3, Vigilance 2

Glory: 45, Honor 35, status 20

Edited by Black_Rabbit_Inle
8 hours ago, Hida Jitenno said:

so I don't particularly see him  sellswording to the M  antis against the  Cra  ne    .

I actually meant the other way around - sorry if the intent wasn't clear. Merchants are low-status, and few rokugani like the water (aside from those mantis wierdos) so the average merchant ship's guards - if it has any - are likely to be either low-status clan samurai who got stuck with the duty and didn't have the political clout to argue or ronin who really need the money and are going that way.

3 hours ago, Void Crane said:

Cool. If we have a true Shugenja then I will shelve the Fortunist Monk. Instead, I'll put up a more traditional ronin. Coming...will post Yoshi no-Saki later tonight.

Look forward to seeing them.

3 hours ago, Black_Rabbit_Inle said:

20 questions for Aruzhan (pending GM approval)

Fine by me.

16:Pre-existing relation with other clans/organizations? After spending some time around the Asahina, they might have gifted Aruzhan with a high quality jeweler's kit (which she would use for making her meishodo talismans), but I don't see any such thing listed in the book. I could always say she took a scimitar from the cultists she fought in the burning sands or something.

It's not in the book but you can assume something similar would exist. A Divination Kit for Theology or a Calligraphy Kit for Composition are both there, so there's no reason something similar wouldn't exist for Design. It won't give you a bonus per se, but you can work on the principle that it gives you the tools you need without specifically seeking out a jeweler's shop or artisan's school or similar, and it'll cost you a similar amount (1 bu) to replace if you lose the thing. If you've been visiting the asahina shrines, it's a very sensible thing to be given as a gift, and is probably in a nice crane-emblemed bag you can hang from your robes, which would make for a nice " almost certainly not a bandit " badge.

18: Samurai heritage? (rolled 2 and 9) chose 2: glorious sacrifice rolled 6 a set of armor (I choose sacred quality and gm should choose a quality) Aruzhan chose the name of her mother's sister who gave her life while helping some unicorn escape from a horde dedicated to the ancient gods of death.

Also needs a type of armour. I wouldn't go with plated armour unless her aunt was a shiotome (even 'mundane' Unicorn Warhorses are going to struggle carrying that much dead weight!).

If not , then take Durable for your second quality as 'take as long as possible to die' probably required it.

If she was an Utaku Shiotome, then Ceremonial , since the battle maiden's elite will have very highly-crafted wargear.

Final rings:

Earth: 2, Air: 1, Fire:2, Water: 3, Void :2

Also, Vigilance 2, which is the one stat I may need without asking you.

"What's your vigilance?"

"What? WHY!?!?!?!"

"No reason. You see.....you know what, it's a lovely day. And there's no-one around."

"AAAAAAAAGGHHH!!!!!!!!"

Just as a note - as per P.307:

All characters use the following starting outfit: Traveling clothes, any 1 weapon of rarity 7 or lower*, traveling pack*, any 1 item of rarity 5 or lower.

*which itself contains 3 items of rarity 4 or lower, along with Blanket, bowl, chopsticks, four days of (theoretically edible) travel rations, flint and tinder,

Other things to note:

Question 1: Which clan’s lands did your character grow up in? The mechanical choice is the same, except that your status is a value of your choice from 20 to 24.

you need to pick a value

11 hours ago, Void Crane said:

Don't feel like it's necessary if you'd rather play the monk. You still have access to Katas, which no one else has so far, and part of the value of the Iuchi school is the ability to give their invocations to other invokers. I think we would be stepping on each other's toes less than a pair of bushi or courtiers would. The point is, play what you'd think you'd be most happy with. we'll figure out the rest from there.

armor something like this, but probably more brightly colored and ornate. Maybe considered Lacquered?

571949e884fef16f34c2b0714ed28a5a.jpg

20 Questions for Yoshi "no-Kaze"...Pending GM approval

(1) What Land/Clan do you come from? Scorpion lands. +1 Air Ring & +1 Skulduggery

(2) Family? Peasant. +1 Earth Ring. +1 Skulduggery & +1 Commerce

(3) School? Worldly Ronin ! 5 skills are: + 1 Courtesy* +1 Fitness, +1 MA (Melee), +1 MA (Ranged), +1 Skulduggery & I get two techniques: Crescent Moon Style & All in Jest . Finally my Earth & Air Rings increase +1. Courtesy is always a school skill for me & I receive 1 less strife when i roll it.

(4) How do I stand out in my "School?": Adaptability, friendliness & awareness. Yoshi has learned the value of being agreeable. He can roll with the punches & smile to his "superiors" while keeping an eye out for opportunities. +1 Water

(5) PAST: My father was a ronin as his father before him...all who worked for the great and honorable Scorpion Clan ((GM permission pending, his father Hideki worked as part of the Soshi opium Cartel. Ssshhh. No doubt as a Ronin he was potentially a disposable asset who helped keep certain hands reasonably clean & helped maintain plausible deniability in the event of embarrassing occurrences. Also probably crossed paths and maybe swords with the other major trading families that reach Scorpion lands...the Ida, Yasuki & Daidoji. All for good or ill. We were part of their effort to smuggle opium into Crab lands. I played the part of a young Hida and my father as my Yojimbo.)) But my father grew dissatisfied with his life and service to them after his wife (my mother) died in a skirmish with other cartels...and left last year. I followed him to serve on the Kaiu Wall. He perished with honor fighting the Lost last winter. I have a older brother named Nobuyuki who argued violently with our father's decision to leave the employ of the Scorpion. I have not seen nor spoken with him since then, but I worry about what has become of him. Though something of a hot head we were close when we were kids.

(6) Yoshi wants to earn a respectable title like Emerald Magistrate, marry someone with land, and settle down to live in comfort and security. Maybe with a large library, so Yoshi can study and become enlightened.

(7) On the Wall Yoshi saw the great of Rokugan and the humble ashiguru all fight and die in essentially the same human way. Yoshi believes that people are people...thought fate and karma have assigned them to start their lives in different roles...as one grows and learns Yoshi believes those roles can change. Yoshi dreams of "graduating" to something better in life. +1 Culture

(8) Bushido: Yoshi believes in the ideal of Bushido. BUT! No one agrees on what it is! Or which of the 7 virtues is paramount. Or which is least. On the Wall he talked with people of many (many...) different points of view. Yoshi has come to think that traditional interpretations of Bushido are often warped to the advantage of the people in power. The standard interpretations are not necessarily the only possible interpretations... +1 Commerce

...more to follow...

Edited by Void Crane
cleaning up text. kaz-E. no-Kaze!!!
14 hours ago, Black_Rabbit_Inle said:

armor something like this, but probably more brightly colored and ornate. Maybe considered Lacquered?

571949e884fef16f34c2b0714ed28a5a.jpg

I'd say that's somewhere on the scale between Ashigaru and Lacquered armour. Since the specific item is a high-craftsmanship relic, Lacquered. It's meant to be something you'd want to use if you can ever find the thing, after all.

5 hours ago, Void Crane said:

20 Questions for Yoshi "no-Kazi"...Pending GM approval

Interested what you intend Yoshi's self-ascribed title as meaning. Looking up the word 'Kazi' comes back with several meanings, from Fire, to Rudder, to Housework...

(5) PAST: My father was a ronin as his father before him...all who worked for the great and honorable Scorpion Clan ((GM permission pending, his father Hideki worked as part of the Soshi opium Cartel. Ssshhh. No doubt as a Ronin he was potentially a disposable asset who helped keep certain hands reasonably clean & helped maintain plausible deniability in the event of embarrassing occurrences. Also probably crossed paths and maybe swords with the other major trading families that reach Scorpion lands...the Ida, Yasuki & Daidoji. All for good or ill. We were part of their effort to smuggle opium into Crab lands. I played the part of a young Hida and my father as my Yojimbo.)) But my father grew dissatisfied with his life and service to them after his wife (my mother) died in a skirmish with other cartels...and left last year. I followed him to serve on the Kaiu Wall. He perished with honor fighting the Lost last winter. I have a older brother named Nobuyuki who argued violently with our father's decision to leave the employ of the Scorpion. I have not seen nor spoken with him since then, but I worry about what has become of him. Though something of a hot head we were close when we were kids.

Absolutely fine. A Ronin 'family' is hardly unheard of - the Yotsu and Kaeru might be the 'official' ronin families, but even if you don't have a family name, the Clans will recognise the value of someone who's a true son of their mother and father. And yes, that still wouldn't stop them giving either parent or child the cruddy or illegal jobs. They are ronin, after all, even if they're a better class of mercenary who actually do stick to their word once they've taken your money.

I take it that your father only took service as a Ronin at the wall - the whole twenty-goblin-winter thing would have given him the opportunity to earn the Hida family name if one had been declared and he'd been so inclined (although if he'd not survived his first season on the wall, however honourable the death, maybe he never got the chance)

...more to follow...

Looks good so far.

Again, you need to pick a status - as a 'pure' ronin, I would probably suggest one on the lower end of things, but you're free to pick as you see fit.

Rather ironically, we've got three ronin, who have three different reasons for being in the region, which line up with the three reasons I put in the flavour text I wrote for the opening of the campaign a couple of days back. Go figure.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Yoshi no-Kaze ...continued...

(9) Greatest Accomplishment. Is ((...either pulling off his long running deception as a Hida samurai or...)) using his great size and strength in defense of the Kaiu Wall. Distinction: Large Stature (Earth)

(10) What Holds Me Back: Yoshi got caught doing something naughty somewhere along the way. Probably related to to the opium trade or his secret false identity as Hida Yoshi. That person has chosen to blackmail him for future potential gains. ((M.G. unless you have something that would work better I'm pencilling in that somebody as Yasuki Aki, a young up and coming member of the family. She knows Yoshi has faked being part of the Hida before.)). Adversity: Blackmailed by ...((Yasuki Aki)) (Water).

(11) I feel most at peace when: i can take my time to find out what everyone is talking about. Rumors and innuendo, after all, are the heralds of opportunity! Information is power. Passion: Gossip (Air) .

(12) What concerns Yoshi the most? Yoshi has left a decent sized trail of contacts he's made under the false identity of Hida Miruyoshi. He's eager to avoid getting any more enmeshed in those lies than he already is. Anxiety: False Identity (Air)

(13) Who has been your biggest influence? By far my father and sensei Hideki "no-Ikebana." He taught me how to weld a sword as a ronin and how to navigate between the worlds of commerce, crime and the courts of samurai without giving up on Bushido. Unfortunately, along with those good attributes, I have also inherited his relationship with the Soshi family. Yoshi is young enough to think the past can be buried and forgotten. But the Soshi family remembers that Hideki walked away from them ... on terms they did not choose. And Yoshi knows things about the opium Cartel outsiders shouldn't. +1 MA (Melee), Adversity: Scorn of the Soshi family (Water).

(14) The first thing people notice about Yoshi is probably how big he is. However he also has a fine gray silk sash that he keeps tied around his waist. A gift from his mother after his father declared him an adult and gave him his swords.

(15) How does Yoshi handle Stress? When surrounded by higher ranked individuals, Yoshi usually tries to drift into the background and remain unnoticed. "Don't look at me! I'm just muscle." When of equal or higher rank he tries to jolly everyone along. "Hey, We're all friends here!"

(16) Relations with other Clans: Yoshi has various complicated relations with the Soshi family of the Scorpion Clan... And the Hida and Yasuki families of the Crab Clan. See above. In conflict with rival Ronin-bushi at some point while working in the opium cartel, he gained a katana in plunder.

(17) My parents would have described me as the careful watchful child. the opposite of his hot headed older brother. +1 Sentiment

(18) My character is named after his maternal grandfather Yoshi. I have his old ceremonial robes. They are gray with black and white trim and clearly from from the mons or color schemes of other Clans.

(19) Upon leaving the Wall, Yoshi has just started calling himself Yoshi no-Kaze... or Yoshi of the Wind. Or Yoshi the Windblown.

(20) There are potentially a number of really good deaths for Yoshi. The best death Yoshi could die would be in some epic throw down, where structures burn to the ground, widows wail in the aftermath, and his death & sacrifices gain a victory big enough to be remembered in the history of Rokugan. Depending on how big his past comes back into play, death fighting against the Soshi or the opium cartels would also be highly appropriate. Death fighting against, or trying to save his brother could also be very appropriate. He's haunted, so finding and killing the "thing" even if it kills him too, would be appropriate. If somehow Yoshi survives all that then he's earned the right to die of old age in bed, surrounded by loved ones, after he's passed on his wisdom.

YOSHI "NO-KAZE"

AIR: 3 EARTH: 3 FIRE: 1 VOID: 1 WATER: 2 COMPOSURE: 10 ENDURANCE: 8 FOCUS: 4 VIGILANCE: 3

GEAR : Traveling Clothes, Wakizashi, Yumi, Traveling Pack (blanket, bowl, chopsticks, flint & tinder, 4 days rations, & ...quiver of arrows, sake cup, & ashigaru armor) + Katana, Ceremonial Clothes

ADVANTAGES : Large Stature (Earth) DISADVANTAGES : Blackmailed by ((Yasuki Aki)) (Water), Scorn of the Soshi family (Water)

PASSION: Gossip (Air) ANXIETY: False Identity (Hida Miruyoshi) (Air)

SKILLS: +2 Commerce, +1 Courtesy*, +1 Fitness, +2 Martial Arts (Melee), +1 MA (Ranged), +1 Sentiment, +3 Skulduggery

TECH: All in Jest (water), Crescent Moon Style (k)

FYI material goods Yoshi dreams of owning: (primary) Ceremonial Clothes, Tent (small) (secondary) calligraphy set, omamori (Fukurokujin or Bishamon), shark hide armor (see Mantis online file) and/or lacquered armor, pillow books of the great works (Tao of Shinsei, Akodo's Leadership, Lies, Thunder Dialogues, etc), traveling tea set

Edited by Void Crane
adjust per M.G. notes
2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Interested what you intend Yoshi's self-ascribed title as meaning. Looking up the word 'Kazi' comes back with several meanings, from Fire, to Rudder, to Housework... 

D'oh!

Kaze. Wind! Stupid tricky vowels!

I don't know. There could be a subtle joke there on 'wave-men' by a better class of ronin considering themselves to have rudders.

59 minutes ago, Void Crane said:

Kaze. Wind! Stupid tricky vowels!

Which can also be 'the flu', I think. ' Yoshi of the Mildly Severe Flu' sounds a lot less impressive, though (though strangely appropriate for someone with the Jurojin's Curse Adversity).

don't Rokugani enjoy using word-play with their names anyway?

Yoshi no-Kaze ...continued...

Didn't notice this. Sorry - now checking over...

13 hours ago, Void Crane said:

(7) On the Wall Yoshi saw the great of Rokugan and the humble ashiguru all fight and die in essentially the same human way. Yoshi believes that people are people...thought fate and karma have assigned them to start their lives in different roles...as one grows and learns Yoshi believes those roles can change. Yoshi dreams of "graduating" to something better in life. +1 Culture

Sorry. Missed this before. You skip this question in Rise from the Dust. see page 307. So I appreciate the insight into Yoshi's worldview, but no rank of Culture.

((...either pulling off his long running deception as a Hida samurai or...)) using his great size and strength in defense of the Kaiu Wall. Distinction: Large Stature (Earth)

Kind of the same thing I, I guess. If you ask any of his comrades at the wall, they'd probably have assumed he was an illegitimate Hida brat - not, I'm sure, that Yoshi ever said so specifically , however much he may have misleadingly hinted as such. Sincerity, and all that.

(10) What Holds Me Back: Yoshi got caught doing something naughty somewhere along the way. Probably related to to the opium trade or his secret false identity as Hida Yoshi. That person has chosen to blackmail him for future potential gains. ((M.G. unless you have something that would work better I'm pencilling in that somebody as Yasuki Aki, a young up and coming member of the family. She knows Yoshi has faked being part of the Hida before.)). Adversity: Blackmailed by ...((Yasuki Aki)) (Water). 

Again, why not both? Yasuki Aki must have known you were faking being a Hida or she wouldn't know who you are now to blackmail you. And a Ronin is rarely someone worth blackmailing, since they lack money and influence, unless you need someone you can...persuade....to do something less than ethical for cut-price rates. Knowing they've done so before - and being able to prove so to the Emerald Magistrates* probably qualifies. Precisely how she found out......maybe she has (totally deniable) contacts in the Opium trade herself, and was able to put two and two together when it became clear that you weren't smuggling for the Yasuki?

(18) My character is named after his maternal grandfather Yoshi. He also retired as an older man to fight on the Wall. While attempting a 20 Goblin Winter he was killed by a "Tainted Being"/Oni. Now his spirit has begun to haunt his descendants, claiming it can only know true rest when the being is defeated. This has just started a little prior to the start of the campaign & Yoshi is just starting to come to terms with what's happening. he now wonders if his father's decision was to come to the Wall was a result of being haunted. Shadowlands pg 101. Vengeance of the Fallen: Gain +5 to honor, +1 to MA (Melee) & the Haunted(Void) Disadvantage

See page 307 - since you're a ronin, not a fallen samurai, you have no heritage**:

"instead of rolling on Table 2–1: Samurai Heritage (see page 96), choose 1 additional item of rarity 5 or lower that you inherited from the family member, friend, or mentor who gave you your name or outlook on life."

So if you want to have Ceremonial Clothes, and have a good quality silk outfit stowed away in your travelling pack, go right ahead. Whether it's a family one (i.e. clean of clan heraldry or with some artwork personal to you sewn or painted on) inherited from your Grandfather, or one your father had made for " Hi  da Miruyos  h   i 's" I leave to you to figure out...

48 minutes ago, Black_Rabbit_Inle said:

don't Rokugani enjoy using word-play with their names anyway?

More normally to find clever insults for the other one, but yes. Though a career ronin kind of has to have a sense of humour.

* Since it's a crime crossing clan boundaries it'd be in their jurisdiction.

** you count as a level 1 human with no class 😎 . Ah, Munchkin ....

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I'll make those changes

So - we have three characters:

@tubatimb2 indicated a desire to do a Worldly Ronin too as a fourth character, and then I think we're good to go.

Any sign of @tubatimb2 ?

Otherwise I'm going to kick off in the next day or so and you can bump into the fourth character on the road at some point.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:17 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

Rather ironically, we've got three ronin, who have three different reasons for being in the region, which line up with the three reasons I put in the flavour text I wrote for the opening of the campaign a couple of days back. Go figure.

Mine was intentional, based off that example.

I think for me the ironic part was you joking that I'd be a Doji Courtier, I passed that off, thought for two seconds, and made a Doji-Courtier-wannabe.

I will say, it's a little strange to me that Worldly Ronin have 'Command,' which per Intrigues, you use on people of lower status than you, and not Courtesy, which you use for social checks with people of higher status.

I think command for ronin makes sense when you take into account that ronin are probably expected to socialize with monks and peasants as much or more than other samurai. I also think command is supposed to be generally used in combat and other "high stress" situations where communication needs to be short and to the point. Since the worldly Ronin is probably expected to be on the battlefield (or at least skirmish site) more than they're expected to be in court, again it probably makes sense to give them command. I mean it's not as if they can't specialize in courtesy anyway.

7 hours ago, Black_Rabbit_Inle said:

I think command for ronin makes sense when you take into account that ronin are probably expected to socialize with monks and peasants as much or more than other samurai. I also think command is supposed to be generally used in combat and other "high stress" situations where communication needs to be short and to the point. Since the worldly Ronin is probably expected to be on the battlefield (or at least skirmish site) more than they're expected to be in court, again it probably makes sense to give them command. I mean it's not as if they can't specialize in courtesy anyway.

This. Kaeru aside, a ronin is more likely to be a mercenary soldier than a mercenary administrator or ambassador, and is most likely to be hired for 'grunt work' dealing with peasants, merchants and ashigaru rather than the iconic 'duel of equals' between higher-status bushi.